Start by marking “Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry” as Want to Read:
Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry

Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  565 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Normal visible cover wear, binding tight, writing and markings inside
Published September 1st 1991 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Sound and Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sound and Sense

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTagged by Joseph M. ChironThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
50 Books That Changed Me
246th out of 294 books — 182 voters
Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffBook Lust by Nancy PearlThe Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall
Best Non-Fiction Books About Books and Reading
215th out of 236 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

Gemma
Sound and Sense in a nutshell:

Poetry is deep and thought-provoking. Let me tell you exactly how and what you're supposed to think about it.

No, sorry, it doesn't work that way. Telling me what to think kills the process of allowing me to think for myself, and I feel like that defeats the point of poetry. A good poem can be seen in a number of lights, but telling me that only one is valid doesn't encourage me to dig deeper into the meaning of the poem.

Beyond the indoctrination, there are some go...more
Stephan Anstey
It's a bit dry, but tons of great poems. I really like how they go over meter, it's one of the better tutorials on the matter. I don't particularly love the organization of the book, and I really wish there were a bit more on each poet - more than the years they lived. My favorite part of the book are the guiding questions. Very helpful as you try to breakdown and understand a poem.

The most offensive thing to me was the little dissertation on how a poem is determined to be 'great.' There is an i...more
Doug
What I liked most about this book, compared to other instructive books of poetry, is the selection of formalist poetry. Granted, it seemed like half of it was Emily Dickinson (and I'm not even sure if that's an exaggeration to be honest) but that's okay because Emily Dickinson had some great poems and her layers are often friendly to the understanding. This book offers a very intensive introduction to how it intends to appraise the poems which makes it great for anyone new to poetry, as well as...more
Tiffany
Okay, so to be honest, two stars may be a little generous. As you can probably already tell, I greatly dislike this book. Sure, it might take you by the hand and lead you through a vast number and variety of poems. However, the book has exactly one interpretation for each poem and if you don't nail it exactly, you get penalized (in AP lit). Moreover, finding answers to the questions presented in the book is quite difficult. It's not in the back of the book and it's not easy to find on the intern...more
Randy Cauthen
How did this get to be the standard text? The dude's taste is dubious, his ear is dubious, and he's not a poet.
Xenophon Hendrix
This book is suitable for self-teaching for those who want to learn more about poetry.
The ultimate user's manual for reading poetry.
Lief
This is a very good book for teaching the elements of poetry and how to explicate poems. I only have two complaints about the book--at times I think the authors could have gone into a little more detail in their definitions before presenting poems to look at, and they don't entirely understand sarcasm as they feel its only purpose is to tear down in one way or another. Otherwise, it is organized in such a way that it focuses the reader on the important issues of poems first (i.e. meaning) and on...more
Jason
Sound and Sense is a classic introductory to poetry that many of you might have encountered in high school or college. I recently found my copy from high school and was reviewing it just to refresh my knowledge of poetry terms.

Although books like this can often drain the joy out of reading poetry, the commentary is pretty interesting and insightful. Aside from the educational aspect of the work, the collection of poems in the book is sensational. While I don't know that I'd go pay $85 for the n...more
Dini
This was the poetry bible for first-year students in my English major. Very useful, especially for those who need guidance in understanding poetry, like me for instance ;P Those questions at the end of each poem, I can't tell you how much that helped me form some semblance of interpretation. I just found my copy of this book (actually it's my sister's copy, I used her old books for class) among other books that I forgot I still have, so I guess it would be useful whenever I feel the need for som...more
Heather Morrison
Love this text; excellent overview of content and wide variety of poems.
J. Alfred
Despite some questionable New-Critical bias, this is nevertheless the most informative book on the theory of poetry I've ever read. It comes with an interesting selection of poems, divides nicely into chapters and is downright helpful with definitions, and has come the closest of anything (teachers included) I've ever come across to helping me understand versification and scansion-- not just the terminology involved, that is, but as a tool for helping one understand and appreciate poems. I recom...more
Katie
*3.7
Yes, it's didactic. Yes, the explanations are ridiculously pretentious. Yes, it should include more Eliot. But on the whole, a very worthy collection of poetry. I'd personally drop some and add some others. The explanations can be lengthy but it truly has some interesting [again, so pretentious but also interesting] things to say about poetry. It's a hard subject for a textbook, I think. And as far as textbooks go, I nearly enjoyed reading it all.
I say well done.
W.B.
How many versions of this exist? I'm guessing tons. God, I cut my teeth on anthologies like this...back in the day when they would put rock lyrics in here by the Beatles and the Rolling Stones to try to add "hip interest." Not trying to be elitist, but some of it was really laughingly bad....and the one by Xavier Kennedy...that was just one cut above this lowly bottomfeeder anthology....
Leo
If you are looking for a straight-forward, no-nonsense, honest and real "introduction to poetry"...this is the book for you. It is excellent in every way. Every chapter progresses naturally from the next. The poetry used is top-notch, perfectly complimenting each "lesson". It is a pleasure to read, an educational joy, and a beautiful doorway into the world of poetry.
Emily Hunsaker
Ok, I admit it... I'm a poetry nerd. This is a collection of poems that I read in my AP English class, and I now own a copy. I LOVE it. Classics from Shakespeare, Sylvia Plath, Emily Dickinson, John Donne, etc. It's nice to have a collection of so many different poets around when I feel like being deep and analytical.
Sharon
Read this for AP English. Highly informative, with some great poems - my favorites are "Pathedy of Manners" and "Music Lessons." However, the language was openly worshipful of poetry. Perhaps only to be expected, considering that the book is an introduction to poetry, but the gushing fondness was rather unhappy.
Pierre Corneille
This anthology/introduction to poetry is quite rigorous. I read it in high school and got quite a lot out of it. I would normally give it five stars....

....but the high school teacher who assigned it was a jerk. Therefore, I'm going to give it one star.

Mohammad Burger-gi
Oct 29, 2012 Mohammad Burger-gi marked it as to-read
هذا الكتاب موجود بكثرة في المكتبات في أبها وأشتريته قبل شوي ب 15 ريال فقط كأرخص كتاب انجليزي اشتريتة منذ نحو 14 سنة وهو مقدمة في الشعر وأشتريت معه كتاب آخر بنفس السعر بعنوان المصادر الادبية واللغوية في التراث العربي للدكتور عز الدين اسماعيل

أجازة الحج 1433 - 2012
Abe Goolsby
A fabulous guide to the appreciation of poetry in general, and a wonderful companion to and commentary on some of the best poetry and poets in the English language—both old and new, lofty and whimsical. A delightful and invaluable literary companion and reference.
Christian
I've read several chapters out of this. I plan to finish it, but at the moment, my favorite part is the enormous amount of poetry. Every chapter has a dozen or more examples of great poetry that exhibits the qualities described in the chapter.
Diana Tran
I read it for ap lit so wasn't so into it from the beginning. Although, I do appreciate the lessons on understanding poetry more. I'm not so averted to poetry as I used to be and I do like some of the poems in there. Not my cup of tea.
Lauren Fidler
fairly standard, fairly dry intro to poetry. some lofty philosophical questions mixed with some pragmatic approaches to the study of one of the more complex literary types.

excellent collection of poems, if that matters.
Soheil
Lovely book with a great compilation of work by the masters and a few unknowns. A touch too judgmental by modern standards,so new readers of poetry need to take its advice with more than a little pinch of salt:)
Mary Drew
Would like to read it but it really is a textbook. I need more than self-motivation, I guess. I do want to know more about poetry. I did read enough to know that I don't always agree with the author.
Rachel
Oh rose, thou art sick!
The invisible worm
That flies in the night
In the howling storm

Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy,
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy.
Joey
I used this book during my course in poetry. It is a good book if you want to learn all the poetical terms and devices found in poems. It can be a little dry though for a text about poetry.
Survina
Feb 18, 2011 Survina is currently reading it
covers poetry for 4000 years - i need some new books. Kind of fun to read, lots of different poems. I almost know what a metaphor is now. Been reading this one for many years
Jim Booth
Perrine's chestnut of an anthology is a fine introduction to poetry. Let's make every 15 years old in America read it, shall we? There are sillier laws on the books, you know....
StarszBooks
Reading for a graduate level class and it is truly amazing. I have acquired a liking for poetry after reading this book! And I really have read this entire book!
  • The Poet's Companion: A Guide to the Pleasures of Writing Poetry
  • Beowulf and the Fight at Finnsburgh (College)
  • Shakespearean Tragedy
  • The Practice of Poetry: Writing Exercises From Poets Who Teach
  • The Making of a Poem
  • A Poetry Handbook
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • Athenaze: An Introduction to Ancient Greek Book I
  • Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable
  • Poetry Speaks: Hear Great Poets Read Their Work from Tennyson to Plath [with 3 CDs]
  • The Study of Language
  • The Portable Dante
  • In the Palm of Your Hand: The Poet's Portable Workshop
  • The Great Chain of Being: A Study of the History of an Idea
  • Points of View: An Anthology of Short Stories
  • The Sounds of Poetry: A Brief Guide
  • Poetic Meter and Poetic Form
  • From Where You Dream: The Process of Writing Fiction
Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense Perrine's Story and Structure 100 American Poems Of The Twentieth Century A Limericks Always a Verse Poetry: Theory And Practice