3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit! Kinky Friedman is back and at his outrageous best in this hilarious guide to the Lone Star State. With George W. Bush in the White House, Americans are taking a second look at the state made famous by the Alamo, the armadillo, Willie Nelson, and, well, Kinky Friedman. As the oldest living Jew in Texas who doesn't own any real est...more
Published September 18th 2001 by William Morrow (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Kinky Friedman's Guide to Texas Etiquette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kinky Friedman's Guide to Texas Etiquette

Marcie
Great title. He should run a Store Locator in the back of the book, so I can get me a pair of those brontosaurus foreskin boots. At some point, though, I just began to think, "huh?"..."and that's funny...how?"

Maybe I've become a prude since moving out of Texas five years ago. My childlike illusions have been shattered -- the idea of Sam Houston sitting around smoking opium and doing the secret Mason handshake with Santa Ana really bothers me. And there's an entire chapter on some guy's testicle...more
Dan Jones
I really wanted to give this book a higher rating. I really enjoyed it, but it was, at times, hard to follow, and lacked cohesion. And the organization of the book left a lot to be desired.

The book is basically a bunch of anecdotes and facts about Texas and country music.

It actually annoyed me that, despite the fact that it was supposed to be about Texas, a few rather large segments were about country music and had nothing at all to do with Texas. He spent a significant amount of space talking a...more
Serena
Jul 13, 2010 Serena rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Serena by: Jess
A quick, entertaining read, especially as I started this in Texas. But I doubt this book holds much appeal beyond role of coffee table book, flipping through for quotable Texas quotes ("Old blues cats never sang the same song the same way twice." -Huey P. Meaux) and facts (did you know that DFW is larger than Manhattan?), of which there are many.

There isn't a running narrative as much as a collection of fun factoids of the state, from an author who humbly prides himself in his ability to equal-o...more
Shannon Martinson
This is a short book, full of essays, trivia, Ace Reid cartoons, and other short pieces. I've been reading a bit here and there for a couple of months now. Friedman's sense of humor can be a bit raunchy, not for the easily offended, and his essays tend to wander a bit, which can be annoying. A lot of the legends and stories mentioned I'd heard before, but others were new to me and interesting, and every time I've read from it, I've ended up laughing, so it is funny. Overall, I enjoyed it, but I...more
Jan C
Jan 08, 2012 Jan C rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Would-be or Former Texans
Shelves: humor, 2012
I got this from a girl from Texas. Don't think she knew she'd be moving back there quite so soon.

Whoops! White Sox fan he may be but a little behind the times. Book came out in 2001 and Nellie Fox went to the Hall of Fame in 1997. Get with the program, Kinky.

Couple of nice essays on Ace Reid (never heard of him), Willie Nelson and some magic pony from 1953 that made a deep impression on young Kinky's life just as he was getting over the deaths of Hank Williams and the Rosenbergs.
Therese
$1.99

I became a Kinky Friedman fan thanks to my best friend's husband. He has written a number of mystery novels, but anybody who has ever heard of Kinky knows he is much more than that.

This book tells all sorts of anecdotes about Texas, or what you think you know about Texas that mean absolutely nothing in the long scheme of things. It is good for a laugh but only a few have a great sense of humor and are not offended if someone (said author) not politically correct!
Chad

This book started as a side-splitting laugh-out-loud collection on anecdotes but turned into a meditation on the state of mind that is Texas, from cowboys and a criminal lawyer to a departed friend.

I was not expecting the turn to more serious matters, but that turn added a human dimension and something that made this book more than an expanded piece of fluff that would have otherwise been quickly forgotten.
Brent
Fun book. Quick read. Typical Kinky attitude. Clearly he loves his home state. Not a novel. Short chapters of jokes and lists, with some stories of cowboys, growing up, lawyers, and Willie Nelson. He should run for governor if the state doesn't secede. If he doesn't get elected, we should force the state to secede!
Lori
I picked up this one on a whim. While it has some redeeming sections, like the excerpts on the Texas bluebonnet legend and big Texas hair, the rest was just too "kinky" and crude for my personal Texas Etiquette, to even finish reading the book. Is Kinky Friedman seriously running for Governor?!
Kelsey
Truly, if you are a Texan born and bred, you might enjoy this book more than any other group. It's chock-full of examples of how and why Texas is different and has a unique social environment which must be navigated particularly to avoid making any social foibles.
Handan
This book had highs and lows and I think it'll stay on my shelf. Finishing it while under the influence of Mucinex and NyQuil may not have been the smoothest move, but reading it kept me calm, quiet, and entertained. So, ta da!
Melanie
I should have known better, but I figured if it was good enough to be published there would be something interesting about it. A few neat lists, but mostly boring and unfunny with idiotic phrases frequently thrown into the mix.
Sabra Kurth
What, you were expecting Shakespeare? This was about what I would expect from Kinky Friedman and I wasn't disappointed. And it was not mean spirited, only observant of the way things are.
Amy
Funny with some interesting tidbits on Texas...but he does like to drift into these moments of reminiscence that also seem like he's just showing off his writing skills.
Beth
Mar 27, 2007 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys irony, humor and has been to or plans to visit Texas
It's a staple of the bedside table in my guest room - not a novel or of any serious depth, but an enjoyable collection of short essays by my favorite Texas Monthly columnist.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Kinky may be our next Texas governor. As a citizen and a reader, I felt obligated to try a Kinky Friedman book.

His campaign slogan: "How hard can it be?"
R. Mark
I admit that I am biased since I am native Texan, but I was seriously rolling on some these. All those who want to converse with us Texans should read this.
Abbey
I grabbed this book before actually travelling to Dallas-Fort Worth. I couldn't get through it, but I will say it gave me some insight into Texas culture.
Sean Evans
Kinky Friedman's Guide to Texas Etiquette: Or How to Get to Heaven or Hell Without Going Through Dallas-Fort Worth by Kinky Friedman (2001)
Heather
Ha ha. Some laughs, but mostly pap for your Texas grandmother.
More of a book for the bathroom--pick it up, read 2 pages, put it down.
Amy
It reads like a bunch of unrelated columns with some filler sandwiched in the middle. Very uneven.
Debs
This humorous little book contains one of my favorite quotes of the moment. Gotta love Kinky.
Kathleen
Being a native I found book hilarious and informative.
Joe
Pretty funny book.
Liz
Liz added it
Jul 13, 2014
John Mckay
John Mckay marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

Frie...more
More about Kinky Friedman...
Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola (Kinky Friedman, #6) Roadkill (Kinky Friedman, #10) Greenwich Killing Time (Kinky Friedman, #1) Armadillos and Old Lace (Kinky Friedman, #7) Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned