Until You See Me

Until You See Me

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Why does a woman admit to a dismemberment murder so horrible the body can't be identified as a man or a woman? Because it's better than what she really did. It was the crime of the decade in 1932. Grotesque. And it really happened, although not quite this way. The dismembered, decomposing body is found stuffed in a steamer trunk. Pearl Tild confesses to it because it is a...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Digital Fabulists (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Until You See Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until You See Me

Marsha
Aug 05, 2012 Marsha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults Only
When I am not reading, quilting or scrapbooking, I am watching Investigation ID. I know, I know, it’s kind of creepy but I am addicted to reality murder mystery shows. I recall a story about a woman, Winnie Judd who in 1931 murdered her doctor-husband and stored his body as well as the bodies of two other women in two steamer trunks and valise while riding a train from Phoenix, Arizona to Union Station in Los Angeles. A porter became suspicious when he smelled a foul odor coming from the baggage...more
Lisa
First, let me say that I don't like mysteries. My genre of choice is contemporary and literary fiction.

When a friend from book club recommended "Until You See Me," I resisted. She persisted and said it was one of the best she's ever read. She was right. Now, I'm passing along this recommendation to others who, like me, are always looking for a really good book.

Like every good crime novel, "Until You See Me" has a good mystery -- there's a gruesome crime, and an admission of guilt. But for what c...more
Leann
I do not understand how this book is getting such stellar reviews. I chose this book solely on the ratings that it has on amazon. I was extremely disappointed. I could NOT get into it. I did not particularly like the main character. I was almost inclined to give it only 1 star, but I forced myself to finish it and the second half was good enough to merit 2 stars I guess. It seems like at about the 40% mark, it got more interesting. It was still far from a book I would recommend. I will say that...more
Lynda Kelly
This sadly tried way too hard to be clever and came over as pretentious and too highbrow for my liking. A great pity as it had a great story behind it and it was ruined for me.
Take this line for example... "I gauzed myself behind a veil that distorted her sharpness" !! I'm no idiot but what ??
It tells of a body-in-a-trunk murder back in the early 1930's....as I said a great back story as the person sought with reference to said trunk is a married woman !
It also jumps around a lot so you're a li...more
Raneta
Interesting plot with uninteresting characters and lots of repetitive dialogue. It's a short book, yet it seemed too long. Maybe there's a short story in here waiting to get out. If you're thinking of reading this because you like murder mysteries, be warned that the "mystery" here is very much secondary to the love triangle aspect of the plot.
Catherine Crain
An intriguing story, but sometimes very badly written. Florid and obscure in far too many passages. I found it a rather unpleasant book as well. No really likable characters. I stayed with it only because I wanted to find out who the dismembered corpse was, and why Pearl, the main character, was traveling with said corpse stowed in her luggage. This is not a spoiler- we know this from the beginning of the book.
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Tammy Hayes
Tammy Hayes marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Gigi
Gigi marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Candy
Candy is currently reading it
Nov 30, 2013
Xenophon
Xenophon marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Amena Zubair
Amena Zubair marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Deborah Moreno
Deborah Moreno marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2012
Iman Suhaimi
Iman Suhaimi marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2012
Leah Lowry
Leah Lowry marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2012
Mimi Wolske
Mimi Wolske marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2012
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2012
Sarood Anjum
Sarood Anjum marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2012
Peggy Ziemann
Peggy Ziemann marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2012
Inspired by a True Story 1 13 Jun 05, 2012 02:14PM
Roberta Degnore is the author of twelve published novels (all with pseudonyms but about to be re-issued under her name). She is also an award winning screenwriter (Jack Nicholson prize), filmmaker (F*STOP) and psychologist. She has always appreciated the wonders of a public education and haunts various universities, both teaching and learning, for any excuse at all.
Lucky accident of time, she has...more
More about Roberta Degnore...
Invisible Soft Return:\ Stuck Up Gold Digger! The Assistance of Vice