Start by marking “Made in the U.S.A” as Want to Read:
Made in the U.S.A

Made in the U.S.A

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  5,710 Ratings  ·  814 Reviews
The bestselling author of WHERE THE HEART IS returns with a heartrending tale of two children in search of a place to call home.

Lutie McFee's history has taught her to avoid attachments...to people, to places, and to almost everything. With her mother long dead and her father long gone to find his fortune in Las Vegas, 15-year-old Lutie lives in the god-forsaken town of
Published June 19th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published June 19th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Made in the U.S.A, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made in the U.S.A

Karen
Sep 09, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I really like a book, I tend to read everything by that author, with mixed results. (John Irving, usually great. Augusten Burroughs, not so much so.) I loved The Honk and Holler Opening Soon, and liked Where the Heart Is. But Made in the USA was a disappointment, with an extremely unlikeable main character and an implausible (given the characters' previous behaviors) and rushed ending.
Cindy
Feb 15, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-read
This book hooked me from the first page. I had to keep reading to make sure everything turned out well for the two orphaned kids! The brother and sister, Lutie (15) and Fate (11), have seen their fair share of misery in their short lives. The book begins when their caretaker, who is the ex-girlfriend of their father, dies in WalMart of a heart attack and the children take her car rather than be put into foster care. First problem, Lutie is only 15, doesn't have her driver's license, and really d ...more
Anye
Dec 27, 2009 Anye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michele Drummond
I've only read one other book by Letts and it was Where the Heart Is. Unfortunately, the two are extremely similar. It was a quick, enjoyable read for the summer. It only took me two days to finish it. It was one of those stories where the main character keeps acting the way you don't want them to. Sometimes it's hard to root for this character when time and again they fail. I guess without these flaws there wouldn't be a story-line. However, I wish the viewpoint of the book was written by the 1 ...more
Christy
Oct 31, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Letts is a master at telling stories that will have you laughing out loud one minute and have your heart breaking the next. Filled with vivid descriptions and realistic characters, this book runs the gamut from sadness and horrific situations to hope, redemption and acceptance. Even though I found this hard to read at times, MADE IN THE U.S.A. is a wonderful story that touched my heart.

Bill
May 26, 2010 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May 04, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a very hard time deciding whether to give this book two or three stars, but the farther I get away from this book, the more I realize how dreadful it was.

I haven't read _The Honk & Holler Opening Soon_, but I've read all her others, and I really wish Billie Letts had stopped with _Where the Heart Is_. I loved that book and I still think it's an amazing read. Now Letts has reduced herself to sterotypical characters, incredibly predictable plots, and a storyline formula. Instead of a bi
MissSusie
May 14, 2010 MissSusie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, audio

First off I was expecting southern fiction, which this wasn’t and it was much grittier than I expected it to be.
Lutie is not a very likeable character and it doesn’t get any better as things progress. Her brother Fate makes this book, he is precocious and adorable, wise beyond his years yet sweet and optimistic. I also liked the Vargas Family storyline.

This book is about two young children whose mother is dead their father has left them with a girlfriend who dies in Walmart (no spoilers its righ
Kandice
I have loved every Billie Letts books I've read. I enjoy her sons plays just as much and am very glad she passed the writing "bug" on with her genes. This books, while told in the charming Letts way, left me unsatisfied.

The story opens with the death of 15 year old Lutie and 11 year old Fate's stepmother in a Wal-Mart. She's their stepmother in the broadest sense of the term since she has never married their father who left them with her and hasn't been heard from since. Fearing the foster syste
Angie
Aug 08, 2011 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diane
Shelves: fiction
Audio book -
Two discs in I thought to myself , " Oh Jesus ! This is going to be one of those books ! " Those equals the author has taken it upon themself to prove that Murphy's Law really does happen . Those equals the author has written about the most wronged , accident prone , bad lucked, somebody keeps shitting in their lunchbox character/s and the worst case scenarios for said character/s . THOSE equals I think to myself , " Oh Jesus ! This is going to be one of those books ! " , right bef
Louise
Mar 19, 2009 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'll never forget Letts' first novel: "Where The Heart Is" and I doubt there are many people out there who haven't read it and fell in love with the characters. Well, Billie has returned with a heart tugging saga of two young children in search of a father and a place to call home.

Fifteen-year-old Lutie McFee and her twelve-year-old brother Fate, have been living with overweight 300 hundred pound Floy Satterfield, their father's ex-girlfriend, in her dumpy run-down home in the dead beat town of
Amy
Jun 16, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Win a copy of Made in the USA on my blog: http://fibrofoggy.blogspot.com/2009/0...

Made in the U.S.A. by Billie Letts kept me up past my bedtime, which is a good indication for me of how good a book is. Lutie and her brother Fale pulled at my heartstrings with their tragic story of loss, sacrifice, and truly tough times. 11 year old Fale was my favorite character in this book. His quirky love of learning facts about everything under the sun made me laugh. Even though he is younger than his sister
Erin
Mar 21, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adultfiction
Fifteen-year-old Lutie McFee and her eleven-year-old brother Fate have been raised by their father's 300-pound ex-girlfriend, Floy, ever since they were abandoned by him. In a split second, however, this changes when Floy drops dead in the local Wal-Mart. When presented with the option of ending up with social services, Lutie and Fate pack up and escape in Floy's truck in search of their father. Their destination: Las Vegas.

Once in Vegas, Lutie and Fate struggle to make ends meet and begin to lo
Angela
Aug 20, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of brit lit and historical fiction
Recommended to Angela by: originally a book club pick and i read all in the series
This was a good but very sad book. It was hard to read about some of the choices the girl made as well as the danger she and her brother put themselves into. I am glad I read this book because it was well written about a difficult subject.
It reminds me of an older, more dangerous version of From the Mixed Up Files Of Mrs. Basil E. Frankwalter by E.L. Konigsberg .
Alice
Jul 10, 2010 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of dark and gritty stories of redemption
Shelves: library, audio, 2010, literary
Margaret
How do I rate a book that I could not finish simply because the author dared to make me care so much for her characters that I couldn't bear to "watch" any more creulties befall them? How does one go about rating a book by an author who has proven her value to me with past works that have left me with a warm and feel good ending? Is it fair to rate a book I could not complete simply because I could not handle the dark subject matter? No, it isn't fair to give this one a rating at all.

Books I can
Claudia
Dec 07, 2010 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one...I liked these two wounded kids...Lutie and Fate (he should have been named Fale, after their mother's family, but someone at the hospital crossed the "L") are essentially dumped with an ex-girlfriend of their father when he decides to run away to Las Vegas. After another Letts Walmart moment, they find themselves on the run, afraid if they stay in Spearfish SD, they'll be sent to foster care. A road trip to Las Vegas has moments of humor and terror.

As does their stay in Las Ve
Barrie Gardner
Jess
Kelly Tarr
Jan 29, 2013 Kelly Tarr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so glad that a friend on Goodreads rated this book (thanks Dana!) I really enjoyed it. So many emotions went into reading this book joy, sadness, empathy and hurt. It was very entertaining and hard to put down. Some of it was a bit out there but also with the job I do I have seen children hurting, lost and sad so I don't feel like it is that far from a possibility. Loved the characters , wished the main character was kinder to her brother the whole time but she didn't have any kind of posi ...more
Sheena
Oct 21, 2011 Sheena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book more than any of her others. Of course there are the requisite Walmart scenes showing up on the first pages but well, this the US and that store is a huge presence in many peoples's lives. I just had to keep reading to see how things turned out for these two kids with no safety net so I read it in a 24 hour period. I loved all the circus scenes and portrayal of the circus family as caring for their animals. A great read!
Cindy Bokma
Jul 04, 2008 Cindy Bokma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! An easy to read, fast paced, feel good kind of book with sweet characters and a happy ending. What more do you want from a novel? I was just in the mood for this kind of book and I read it within two days and was sorry to see it end.

I really enjoyed Where the Heart Is and I think Made in the USA has the same vibe.

Good job, Billie Letts!
Ginger
Oct 03, 2010 Ginger rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
I loved this book!!! I've had this book for quite awhile and wish I had read this sooner. Great story about Lutie (who's 15 yrs old) and her brother Fate (who's 11 yrs old). The things these kids do to survive on the streets of Las Vegas are amazing. The story is heart-warming, drawing the reader in and not letting go. Wonderful book!
Mary
Jan 26, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne, fiction
I, too, found this darker than her previous books, but one cannot expect a writer to remain stagnant. I just want to know if the winter quarters in Hugo, OK, are the ones depicted in the book. I found that part of the book fascinating.
Justine
I liked this book, but not as much as some of Billie Letts other novels. I sort of found Luttie annoying, but it is a good coming of age story and about learning lessons the hard way. I did like the ending and the theme that just because you don't share blood doesn't not make you family.
Judi
Aug 11, 2008 Judi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stopped-reading
This book was very disappointing. It was sad and just plain stupid. I would not recommend it to anyone.
Robin
Apr 30, 2009 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was interesting enough, but it seemed to lack some depth and the ending did seem rushed. Overall good read.
Melissa
Dec 29, 2009 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cliche to the extreme. Absolute drivel.
Jenny Paullin
Jan 17, 2015 Jenny Paullin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nope.
Sara Russell
May 26, 2012 Sara Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good book
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Oh My Stars
  • Moon Women
  • Between, Georgia
  • Mermaids in the Basement
  • We Are All Welcome Here
  • Standing in the Rainbow (Elmwood Springs, #2)
  • The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove
  • Disappearances
  • Orphan Train Rider: One Boy's True Story
  • The Exquisite Corpse Adventure
  • Heart of Ice (Louis Kincaid, #11)
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel: Stuff We Didn't Actually Do, but Could Have, and May Yet
  • Baby Animals
  • No Time to Wave Goodbye
  • Nanny X
  • The Monument
  • The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder
Billie Letts (born in Tulsa, Oklahoma) is an American author. Earlier she worked as a professor at Southeastern Oklahoma State University. She was married to Dennis Letts until his death in 2008, and is the mother of playwright and actor Tracy Letts and jazz musician and composer Shawn Letts.
More about Billie Letts...