Start by marking “Better Not Get Wet, Jesse Bear” as Want to Read:
Better Not Get Wet, Jesse Bear

Better Not Get Wet, Jesse Bear (Jesse Bear)

It's a lovely warm day and the irrepressible hero of "Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?" finds it impossible to resist the cooling temptations of the kitchen sink, garden hose--even the birdbath. In spite of his parents' pleas, Jesse Bear just has to get wet! Full color.
Published March 31st 1988 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Better Not Get Wet, Jesse Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Not Get Wet, Jesse Bear

Katie Fitzgerald
Jul 27, 2011 Katie Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
This second Jesse Bear book is set in summer, a fact we discover quickly from the illustrations even though it is never explicitly stated. Jesse Bear is up and about in this book, as he tries to help with a variety of water-related tasks. As he tries to wash a glass, feed the fish, water the flowers, and bathe a bird in the garden birdbath, one or the other of Jesse's parents warns him, "Better not get wet, Jesse Bear!" As the day ends, though, Mom and Dad take Jesse to a little pool in the back ...more
Sarah Sammis
Sep 11, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it it was ok
Shelves: released
Jesse Bear must be about two years old. He's a young, rambunctious bear who is apparently into everything. Although his parents have a day of swimming planned for him, they don't want him to get wet before it is time. Yet they give him ample opportunity to disobey with a tempting aquarium, garden hose and so forth. I find this sort of behavior among real life adults to their children infuriating so I'm clueless as to why I'd find it fodder for a cute story.

Fortunately Jesse Bear seems pretty thi
Jennifer Foeller
Today's helicopter parents will enjoy this one. Jesse's parents hover over him requesting that he not get wet in his own backyard. Jesse is not allowed to splash in the birdbath, play with the hose, and so on. Finally, at the end of the book, he is allowed to get wet in a kiddie pool. Jesse is still wearing the same outfit throughout, so, apparently it's not that he was wearing his 'good clothes' and thus shouldn't get wet.

I don't know why it bothered me, it's just a picture book. Ineffective p
Kat
Dec 06, 2008 Kat rated it it was amazing
Such a fun, sing-song rhyme - soothing and as lovely as a warm bath. I read this a gazillion times to my child and ended up buying all of Nancy White Carlstrom's books. Well worth the seek, as sadly, this is not available unless you order a used copy.
Jan 17, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a cute book about water. It teaches students about a lot of things that live and/or use water. This would be a good story to read in the summer time. This book also contains a bunch a rhyming words.
Rosa Cline
Apr 12, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, summer
Jesse Bear books are cute simple often time rhyming stories. This one involves all types of 'getting wet' with various things...plants, geese, and finally Jesse Bear gets to get wet himself and swim.
Polly
A little long for a summer storytime for two year olds, but much better than many other options, and by dint of asking everyone to wiggle like the worm, flap like the bird, croak like the frog, etc., we managed to get through it all right.
Davisha
Jun 11, 2009 Davisha rated it it was amazing
This used to be my favorite book when I was little... I would read it everyday, so much, that I could say the book without even looking... this is a great child's book
MJ
Nov 16, 2015 MJ rated it liked it
We couldn't figure out why Jesse couldn't get wet.
Jaime
Apr 09, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it
Our entire family loves all the Jesse Bear Books! There a must & get read at least once for bedtime every week!
Kathy
Feb 15, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it
While reading this book my 14 year old happened to have the hose on outside and got my 3 year old all wet. Fun book to read.
Chris K Polizzi
.50 goodwill
Tricia
Nov 09, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
All day long, Jesse Bear is warned about getting wet. Children will delight in how his afternoon ends...wet as can be!
Stephen T.
Stephen T. rated it really liked it
May 09, 2013
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Maritza Mejia
Mar 29, 2017 Maritza Mejia rated it really liked it
It's a lovely rhyming story with colorful illustration. Good bed time story.
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2016
Sage
Sage rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Charmaine
Charmaine rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2010
Emma H
Emma H rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2015
Angie Grothem
Angie Grothem rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2011
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Pebbles Montoya
Pebbles Montoya rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2013
Denita
Denita rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2011
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2008
Charlene
Charlene rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Kelli
Kelli rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nancy White Carlstrom has written more than 50 books for children, including the Jesse Bear series with illustrator Bruce Degan.

Born the daughter of steel mill worker William J. and Eva (Lawrence) White, Nancy White Carlstrom was born in Washington, Pennsylvania, on August 4, 1948. She practiced writing poetry, enjoyed reading books like Little Women, and wanted to become a children’s book author
More about Nancy White Carlstrom...

Jesse Bear (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • Guess Who's Coming, Jesse Bear
  • Happy Birthday, Jesse Bear!
  • What a Scare, Jesse Bear
  • It's About Time, Jesse Bear and Other Rhymes
  • Let's Count It Out, Jesse Bear
  • How Do You Say It Today Jesse Bear
  • Where Is Christmas, Jesse Bear?
  • Climb the Family Tree, Jesse Bear!
  • Jesse Bear's Yum-Yum Crumble (Jesse Bear Board Books)