Start by marking “Self-Sufficiency: A Complete Guide to Baking, Carpentry, Crafts, Organic Gardening, Preserving Your Harvest, Raising Animals and More!” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Self-Sufficiency: A Co...

Abigail R. Gehring

Now, more than ever, people across the country are turningtoward simpler, greener, and quieter ways of living--whetherthey're urbanites or country folk. Following in the footsteps ofBack to Basics and Homesteading, this large, fully-illustrated bookprovides the entire family with the information they need to makethe shift toward self-sufficient living.Self-Sufficiency prov ...more
Hardcover
Published by Right Way (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Self-Sufficiency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self-Sufficiency

Malbadeen
Apr 21, 2011 Malbadeen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You know what this book is? It's bullshit, that's what it is!

You see the title? It's a "COMPLETE guide to baking, carpentry, crafts, organic gardening, preserving your harvest, raising animals and more!"....more?! we don't need "more". We need less. A LOT LESS.

I don't know if the rest of you out there are experiencing this but in the lovely city of Portland Oregon it's perfectly normal to forage side walk weeds for your dinner, have chickens walking around your front yard and bees humming in yo
Brittany
Feb 28, 2012 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is sub par. It doesn't have very much in depth explanation or information. It briefly covers topic that require more information on materials and other things. One category that was particularly lacking was its pottery section. It only dedicated about 2 1/2 pages and didn't provide any thorough information on how to do. It pretty much just said that pottery is a great way to create containers, bowls, etc. and a great project for children...okay. That doesn't tell me anything. If you wa ...more
Julie
Jun 17, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's not that complete. Very basic instruction. Highlights of many topics, nothing really deep, though. Good intro type for the very novice.
Joanne
Aug 27, 2014 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a fair book for an overall ideas on self sufficiency, but complete? Ehh, not quite.

450 pages isn't enough to be a complete guide on raising livestock, much less all of the other things listed in the title.

Most subjects in here are covered briefly, not completely.

That said, my only real gripe is with the title overselling the amount of information within. However, I knew that picking it up that it couldn't be "complete", but what it IS is extensive.

There are a surprising amount of skills
Kendra
Sep 29, 2012 Kendra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this three stars because I didn't pick it up intending to learn a great deal of new information, or to use the information to make any changes in my life or in the way we live here on our quarter acre in suburbia...indeed, this book is not the end-all-be-all how-to manual that it advertises it self to be.
Instead, I enjoyed this book as a mediocre intro to one of my new favorite genres of books: coffe table books that make me feel like doing something. Soooooo much better than pinterest an
Kim Forsythe
I hate when recently published books (2010) have pictures that look like the book was published in the 90s. That is not why I gave this book two stars. Does all of this information have to be in one book? Too much to pack in, not enough of the good stuff. Start a vineyard? Breed horses? Start a garden? Please! When the recipes look bland and out of place, maybe they should be left out.
Fvandrog
Jun 23, 2012 Fvandrog rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am very dissatisfied with this book. It seems to be written on kindergarten level, and very general in description of many issues. In an attempt to put everything in one book, Gehring has failed to be comprehensive at the same time. A book like Seymour's is infinitely more helpfull, both for beginning gardeners and homesteaders as well as those that are more advanced.
Rachel
Sep 29, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, garden
lots of info for a single book.
while it has whole chapters about things I'm not interested in at the moment, like raising animals, it seems like it could be a good book to have on hand for reference. I'm not sure how proficient you could become at any of the topics with this information but it should give you a good start.
Steven
Jul 18, 2014 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Gardening section is fairly complete. The rest of the book, not so much. More of a good beginner's guide. The junior homesteading projects look like a fun way to introduce children to the basics and teach them that food doesn't come from a plastic container.
Leah Casarez

Very basic. I felt like I was reading an elementary school text book. My 4th grader loved it.
Mary
Feb 06, 2012 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2010

This book is difficult to use because it is rectangular and heavy. It would make a good home reference book, but I think the binding would come apart.
Ruth
Sep 06, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-sufficiency
Paged through it. This book is also based on having all the right equipment available. This book is geared toward children, but has lots of good basic info and easy to read.
Carmen B
Carmen B rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2014
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
JL
JL rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2016
Coco_Chanel
Coco_Chanel rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Shawna
Shawna rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2011
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2012
Donna
Donna rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2013
AnGi3 B
AnGi3 B rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2013
Beth Ruiz
Beth Ruiz rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Tania
Tania rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Stephanie Thorpe
Stephanie Thorpe rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2016
Colin Price
Colin Price rated it liked it
May 04, 2012
Delia Remington
Delia Remington rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Cynthia Skelton
Cynthia Skelton rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Christine Cato
there's a lot in this book, but it's an overview of too making things all crammed together.
Jes
Jes rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
brenda white
brenda white rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Keeping Bees with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Tend Hives, Harvest Honey & More
  • Backyard Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
  • The Profitable Hobby Farm, How to Build a Sustainable Local Foods Business
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It: The Complete Back-To-Basics Guide
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • The Backyard Berry Book: A Hands-On Guide to Growing Berries, Brambles, and Vine Fruit in the Home Garden
  • Homegrown Herbs: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies for Growing and Using 101 Herbs
  • The Soap Maker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques and Know-how (Natural Body Series - The Natural Way to Enhance Your Life)
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • Barnheart: The Incurable Longing for a Farm of One's Own
  • The City Homesteader: Self-Sufficiency on Any Square Footage
  • The Complete Modern Blacksmith
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
Abigail R. Gehring is a writer who divides her time between New York City and rural Vermont. She is the editor of Back to Basics, Homesteading, and Self-Sufficiency, and author of Odd Jobs: How to Have Fun and Make Money in a Bad Economy and Dangerous Jobs: The World’s Riskiest Ways to Make an Extra Buck. The Simple Joys of Grandparenting: Stories, Nursery Rhymes, Recipes, Games, Crafts, and More. ...more
More about Abigail R. Gehring...