Start by marking “The Last Sacrifice” as Want to Read:
The Last Sacrifice

The Last Sacrifice (The Last Disciple #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Published September 19th 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Last Sacrifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Sacrifice

Mark
I recently posted a review of the first book in this series, The Last Disciple, and loved it. This book was even better. It picks up where the first book ended and brings all of the characters back from the first book.

As I stated in my other review, the authors wrote these books with the premise that the Tribulation spoken of in Revelation has already happened in the first century. I disagree with that idea, but it is still an interesting idea and did not make me enjoy the books any less because
Time
This will be "The Empire Strikes Back" of the series. Too much time reintroducing the characters, to long to get to the story, and when it does, stops too early.
Gruesome in spots. PG14 for implied violence/adult situations.
Josiah Degraaf
While an enticing sequel to the previous book, The Last Sacrifice suffers heavily from a lack of clear direction.

Pros:

A lot of the pros from the previous book still stand. The characters are still interesting and complicated, the eschatological view is still great, and the book is still page-turning and very hard to put down. While none of these are as top-line as in book one, they're still good enough to keep the book interesting.

Cons:

While this was present in the previous book, this becomes ve
Renn Shearin
Helius, Nero’s most trusted adviser, anticipates the death of his sworn enemy, the legendary warrior Gallus Sergius Vitas, scheduled to die a gruesome death in the arena. However, the badly beaten man who appears in the amphitheater is not who he seems. Rescued by a stranger and given a mysterious scroll, Vitas is told he must decipher this letter to find the answers he needs—a letter that Helius is also determined to decipher and to keep hidden from Nero. As Nero’s reign of terror grows, so doe ...more
Christian Fiction Addiction
The Last Sacrifice sees the return of Gallus Sergius Vitas, who had been sentenced to death by Emperor Nero and his most trusted adviser, Helius. While Nero waits in the arena stadium to watch a man he believes to be Vitas die at the hands of a gladiator, little does he know that Vitas has already been spirited away out of Rome after having been tossed onto a ship along with the Apostle John. Along with his freedom, Vitas has been given a scroll written in Hebrew and filled with symbolism he has ...more
Matthias
While I don't completely agree with the views set forth in this series, I found this second volume much more enjoyable than the first.

It still has too many character threads (I'm constantly mentally trying to catch up with who's who, doing what, and with whom), and does end AGAIN on a cliff hanger. Despite this, this series is probably one of the most meaty and wonderfully honest Christian fiction works of modern note. It's a refreshing change from the female-slanting fluff one mostly finds. It'
Jamie Boehmer
You can look at this book as a counter to the incredibly famous Left Behind series. While the LB series takes an approach to the tribulation occurring at some point later in the future, with the anti-Christ being some European evil personified, The Last Sacrifice (part of a series) writes from a framework that the tribulation has already happened, specifically during the reign of Nero before the destruction of the Jewish temple in A.D. 70. It's a very interesting and compelling story. The charac ...more
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Helius, Nero's most trusted advisor, anticipates the death of his sworn enemy, the legendary warrior Gallus Sergius Vitas, scheduled to die a gruesome death in the arena. However, the badly beaten man who appears in the amphitheater is not who he seems. Rescued by a stranger and given a mysterious scroll, Vitas is told that he must decipher this letter to find the answers he needs--a letter that Helius is also determined to decipher and to keep hidden from Nero. As Nero's reign of terror grows, ...more
William Dicks
The book was well written, it kept my attention, and I think the characters were mostly well developed. The book is written from a partial-preterist point of view with the belief that the book of Revelation was written before the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple in A.D. 70.

I do believe that the ending could have been better s it was a real anti-climax when I suddenly realized I had just finished reading the last chapter.
Christy
Wonderful story/stories about Romans, Jews and Nazarenes mixing differnt characters so you could view differnt perspectives. I accidently read this one before The Last Disiple, but it was easy to get into the story. The end is abrupt and leaves a lot of questions, hoping for another book.

If you liked the Left Behind series, you're going to looove this series!
I reiterate everything I said about The Last Disciple here -

- and add that this book dropped off in the middle of the story with absolutely no resolution! Hanegraaff and Brouwer better write the third book soon because I want to know what happens to the fifty or so characters which this book left dangling!
Jenna
I didn't enjoy this quite as much as the first. As one other reviewer said, there was too much time reintroducing characters and plot lines from the first book when I just wanted more story. And I was very sad to find out that, though this clearly seems to lead up to a third book, there is not one available...what happened?!
Melissa
The is the second book to the The Last Disciple which I didn't like. I didn't like this one any better. It's still the horrible details of Rome. I also thought that by the end of this book we'd have closure of Vitas and Sophia. But we don't. They plan to drag it out for one more book.
Geneve
Very interesting to learn about the time period. The story was pretty engaging, but I found out it's the second in a series so I guess I'd better read the first. There were a lot of characters and I got lost sometimes. A little gruesome here and there, but over all pretty clean. I enjoyed it.
Karen Thibodeau
Argh! GREAT story... but there clearly should have been another book... the story ends way to abruptly... there are too many loose ends! I want a third book! But seeing how this was published in 2005, I'm thinking the authors decided against it. humph!
Leah
More like 4 1/2 stars (: I will write a review won my blog soon. But I think I liked this second book in the series better than the first one, quite possibly.

Review here: http://assertionsofahousewife.blogspo...
John Otte
A good, thought-provoking read that gives its readers a lot of food for thought about what Revelation really means. I'm not sure I agree with the author's conclusions, but it's a good challenge.
Amandaemata
Just a phenomenal series. Incredibly well-written with so much attention to details, especially the culture of the time. Just a great series.
Jon
Fascinating - especially to find plot lines related to the early Church. I often ponder how I would have held up under similar circumstances!
Austin
Was very fast-paced, but very riveting ( I could hardly put it down) Five-stars! recommended for anybody that enjoys historical fiction.
Chris Deforge
Great historical fiction read. Really helps in understanding some biblical history and matters of eschatology as well.
Jobeth
Overall it was a good book, but the ending I didn't reallly care for. It left you hanging.
Dimmy-jimmy
very good story about early christian period.
Kay Pelham
I'm ready for the 3rd installment
Geraldene
so far somewhat gruesome
K Rae
K Rae marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Ashley Hunt
Ashley Hunt marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
  • The Weeping Chamber
  • Outcasts (Safe Lands, #2)
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • Third Watch (A. D. Chronicles #3)
  • Night Song: A Story of Sacrifice (World War II Liberator #2)
  • The Yellow Rose (Lone Star Legacy, #2)
  • Thunder of Heaven (Martyr's Song, #3)
  • Wind Dancer
  • The Hawk That Dare Not Hunt by Day
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • Circle of Honor (Scottish Crown Series, #1)
  • Kingdom's Quest (Kingdom, #5)
Hank Hanegraaff serves as president and chairman of the board of the North Carolina–based Christian Research Institute International. He is also host of "The Bible Answer Man" radio program, which is broadcast daily across the United States and Canada as well as around the world through the Internet at http://www.equip.org. Widely considered to be one of the world's leading Christian apologists, H ...more
More about Hank Hanegraaff...
The Last Disciple Christianity in Crisis The Apocalypse Code: Find Out What the Bible Really Says about the End Times . . . and Why It Matters Today Counterfeit Revival The Bible Answer Book