Start by marking “Stillwater” as Want to Read:
Stillwater

Stillwater

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In 1938, five towns in western Massachusetts were flooded to create a huge reservoir. In this beautifully rendered novel of coming of age, of loyalty and betrayal, good and evil, and of bravery and an abiding love, "Stillwater" marks a significant literary step forward for William Weld in what has already emerged as a notable writing career.

Fifteen-year-old Jamieson, who l
Published January 1st 2002 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Stillwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stillwater

Sue
Some really lovely writing, beautiful descriptive passages regarding life in nature. But, overall just a little too "odd" for me.
J
BEWARE. I DON'T FLAG SPOILERS. BUT I DON'T PUT MY REVIEWS OUT ON ANY FEED, EITHER.

Knocked my socks off. Didn't think a former prosecutor-governor had the skills to write what I'd call artistic, rather than mass-circulation, fiction.

Combines an interesting (don't know if historically based) story of political corruption and intrigue with well-observed nature descriptions with a coming-of-age first love tale told by a mature man looking back.

I live in the NV desert now but grew up in northeastern
Alan
Curiosity drove me to pick this up, but I really kinda liked it. It is almost magical realism. It centers around the destruction of the four central Massachusetts towns in the 1930s to make way for the Quabbin Reservoir to provide water to Boston. It is all seen through the eyes of a young boy. I was not a huge fan of Weld as a governor, but he's not a terrible novelist.
this book had potential. and although i am surprised the author, a former governor and federal prosecutor, sustained from writing in a biased voice, he didn't seem to keep his thoughts straight. the book was hard to follow at times and he focused on too many small details. he was somewhat repetitive and left out other details that leave you to wonder.
Holli
This book had amazing potential, but was poorly written and more about hunting/fishing than the building of the Quabbin Reservoir. A huge disappointment.
Kelly
As a quiet, literary journey novel, it was excellent. As a kind of plot- or character-driven novel I prefer to read, not really my cup of tea.
Meade
Meade marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Evy
Evy marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Patty Gonzalez
Patty Gonzalez marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Bebop2
Bebop2 marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Didi
Didi marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Paola
Paola is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2013
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2013
Grant
Grant marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mackerel by Moonlight Big Ugly Stillwater: A Novel Mackerel By Moonlight Building a North American Community