Start by marking “University, Inc: The Corporate Corruption of Higher Education” as Want to Read:
University, Inc: The Corporate Corruption of Higher Education

University, Inc: The Corporate Corruption of Higher Education

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Our federal and state tax dollars are going to fund higher education. If corporations kick in a little more, should they be able to dictate the research or own the discoveries?During the past two decades, commercial forces have quietly transformed virtually every aspect of academic life. Corporate funding of universities is growing and the money comes with strings attached ...more
Published February 15th 2005 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about University, Inc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about University, Inc

Slareck
A superb piece of investigative journalism exploring the encroachment of corporate/market values into the university and the resulting implications. It is not some kind of leftist corporate bashing, nor is it a wistful yearning for a "pure" liberal arts model, but a clear-headed assessment of how several trends converged to create a "market-model u" and some instances of the problems that has presented.

The trends specifically mentioned include: the reduction of federal spending on higher ed, th
Wellington
Jan 28, 2008 Wellington rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: melissa
This has to be one of the saddest books I’ve read in a while. It’s beautifully ironic. This book comes along and laments of the conflicts of interests with the marriage of universities and business while I am learning to embrace that I can love to have money.

I graduated from the University of Southern California and had a sense that something was amiss in the university system. Back then, I saw a university that catered strongly to the football program and felt like I was getting the scraps. The
Khouloud Khammassi
The promise of reading about the corporate corruption in Education was the reason why I wanted to read this book. Trust me, if you love academic gossip (as I call it), you won't be disappointed. There is a lot to read and know and the writer is an excellent job. This book is worth the money and time on spends on it.
Now, why I gave three stars only. It's as simple. There are no chapters on "zionism" in the U.S. educational system. How does this relate to corporate corruption? I let you figure ou
John
The majority of this book is devoted to the relationship between corporations and medical/technological researchers in Higher Education. Her one chapter on the shrinking of Humanities departments (chapter 8) is not sufficient to make this a book on the corporatization of the university as a whole.
Jeff
A great book and a resource about the monetization of education and education resources. Definitely worth a read. Washburns only problem is that her passion sometimes defines her reporting, this is not an even-handed book by any means.
Charlotte
extremely well documented assessment of the influence of business on educational institutions. a bit of a niche topic but if you're interested in how academia can be manipulated by money, this is the book to read.
Salut Muhidin
Nice book to read and learn about the new and future trends in the higher education, case for USA. Yet, the Inc seems will be found in other places in the world.
anne
excellent. really important. very depressing. really focuses mostly on science & technology but also mentions the impacts on oter disciplines.
Kalin
Kalin marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Jur
Jur marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Seulky
Seulky marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Wojciech Fenrich
Wojciech Fenrich marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Thomas Buckingham
Thomas Buckingham marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Scott Loane
Scott Loane marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jessica Nesbitt
Jessica Nesbitt marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Val
Val is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2014
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014