Start by marking “The Secret Christmas Ciphers” as Want to Read:
The Secret Christmas Ciphers

The Secret Christmas Ciphers

Abigail can’t explain, even to herself, why she married Derek after he’d asked her to wait for him and then became engaged to someone else. If his poor fiancée had not died, he would now be wed to her instead of Abigail. But then Abigail begins uncovering some of the secrets that are a part of her husband’s life and wonders if perhaps there is hope for their marriage after ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Christmas Ciphers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Christmas Ciphers

Lexie
Nov 02, 2013 Lexie rated it did not like it
I am seriously annoyed by the sledgehammer ending of obviousness. I would have preferred Derek decided to explain to Abigail his reasons for engaging himself to Melonnie without the Convenient as the night is dark plot point character of unnecessary need arriving to absolve him.

+++

So I was getting into this book quite a bit, even if I did want to whack Derek upside the head. I more or less guessed why he engaged himself to Melonnie pretty quickly and found his dithering over not telling Abigail
Sally906
a very sweet, quick and easy historical romance, perfect while sitting in a queue.
Aisha Oaktree
Originally Posted on By the Broomstick

A quick read this regency romance follows a couple who met & fall in love as children & then life intervenes and they drift apart.

OMGosh, this reminds me so much of Matthew & Mary *from Downton Abbey, not the being in love since children part but the rest* they were so in love but let other things come in between them. Abigail loved her friend's older brother, and they learnt together all about each other as they grew up, he asked her to wait fo
Becky
Nov 20, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
This Historical,Regency, Christmas, Romance is set in Buckinghamshire, England, 1813. A smart heroine by the name of Abigail is in an arranged marriage with Derek Melton by their fathers request. This is in agreement to buy Derek a place in the royal army by his father. Tis is fine for Abigail as he will be away most of the time. Abigail had a crush and deep love for Derek since they were children. And when he went away to school, he asked her to wait for him. Until after a long time she learns ...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Abigail waited to wed Derek, but he never returned home. When he finally came back for her, she agreed to wed him, but with a bitter heart. Derek came back with a bad reputation and secrets. He wants to return to a time where Abigail loved him, but too many secrets need to be kept for King and country.

Carey's Regency romance is also a mystery that brings the couple closer together and farther apart as they discover each other's secrets. The novel concludes at Christmas with a happy ending. The e
Jilly
Dec 17, 2012 Jilly rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, favorites
Good story about two people who grew up together and feel in love only to have a misunderstanding nearly tear them apart... even though they do get married.

Abigail doesn't want to forgive Derek for hurting her when he proposed to another woman who has since died leaving Derek's father and Abigail's father to arrange their marriage to each other. Why she agreed she can't figure out but she refuses to let Derek have any husbandly rights.... maybe.

It was a very sweet story with a truly good secret
Juli Alexander
Regency, Christmas, Romance. All great things, but I love this book for the rest of what it offers. A smart heroine, a childhood crush, an honorable man, a dash of intrigue, and a woman rewarded for doing what she knows she must. Ms. Carey's novels never disappoint, and The Secret Christmas Ciphers is no exception. I highly recommend The Secret Christmas Ciphers to all readers, even those who aren't normally inclined to read regency. This story moves fast, and the regency details add to the stor ...more
L Bongiorno
3.5 Stars. I think the leading man is lucky things worked out. I don't see why he had honor in fullfilling his vows to everyone, but the woman he loved. He was often an ass to her. Again, if it was me I would have ended up without a love story... I would not have found forgiveness in my heart, acceptance without explaination, and understanding what is truely important. She had faith and forgiveness and it worked out great for them:)
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Abigail and Derek have loved each other years, and have married to live up to a long standing agreement that their fathers set up long ago. However, it is not a happy union at first. Derek got involved in the war with the french and didn't return home for Abigail for two years and rumors came that he became a wastrel. Abigail thinks he betrayed her but, she helps him decode some ciphers intercepted from the french, and then all secrets are revealed. Good read!!
Susie
Dec 12, 2012 Susie rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, 2012
It started off great: two people who hate each other forced to marry one another. Turns out they used to be in love but due to other circumstances, they now don't like each other. Or do they? It was cute, and while the characters obviously have to end up HEA, I would have liked the love/hate duality to have been played out a bit longer. She got over her anger entirely too fast. But again, it was cute. A quick read, but nice for the holidays.
N. Kuhn
Dec 24, 2015 N. Kuhn rated it liked it
Shelves: history
This was just an ok read for me. I enjoy seeing two people who were in love, work past old hurts to love again, but I felt the whole cipher thing was too much. It took up too much of the story and made it drag along for me. I found myself putting the book down for days just to try and get through it. It could have been a great little historical short romance, but with all the boring stuff, it just made it an "ok" book.
Kirsten Lenius
Nov 27, 2012 Kirsten Lenius rated it liked it
Shelves: regency
A rather nice , albeit short, Regency romance story. There is not too much to complain over, save for the story arc would have benefited from quit a bit more elaboration. For me, the transition between: I hate you and I love you and mistrust and trust happened far too quickly. Not a bad story, though.
MaryReadsRomance
4 Stars Light sweet clean Christmas Harlequin style historical romance with no explicit sex and a moral married hero and heroine. Main conflict revolves around the mystery of husband's inexplicable past and present behaviors. Light gothic touch HEA.
Kristine
Jan 01, 2013 Kristine rated it it was ok
I gave it only two stars. I felt the author did not really get into the meat of the book. Their could have been so many cute things added about ciphers between the two of them, but she had very little. I felt it ended abruptly.
Twyla
Dec 05, 2012 Twyla rated it did not like it
I was hoping for more "ciphers" as well as more romance. sigh.
Does anyone know how to link the amazone reviews & the goodread reviews together so that you only have to do it once?
Is it wrong to expect something to be awesome?
Blodeuedd Finland
Dec 08, 2014 Blodeuedd Finland marked it as dnf
This was the one I came the longest with but this was stupid, so DNF
Shaunesay Eslanai
Jul 24, 2013 Shaunesay Eslanai rated it really liked it
Very sweet fun historical romance. Just the thing for some light Christmas reading!
Zimt
Feb 11, 2013 Zimt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secrets because of war always create misunderstandings, quite interesting to read how they are resolved.
Miriam
Nov 14, 2012 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, romantic
This was a very sweet Regency love story that I very much enjoyed!
Sharon Hogenson
Nov 29, 2014 Sharon Hogenson rated it liked it
Not my type of book with the sexual references. Not as bad as some, but not what I'd call squeaky clean either. I won't be reading it again.
Barb Blasch
May 12, 2013 Barb Blasch rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the characters. It was somewhat predictable but an enjoyable book just the same.
Donna Wright
Jul 13, 2012 Donna Wright rated it it was amazing
As an author, this is one of those stories I wish I'd written. I really enjoyed the "secret" part and I think those who love Regency will too!
Donna
Brittany
Jan 01, 2014 Brittany rated it liked it
Shelves: january-2014
2 1/2 out of 5
Vikki Vaught
Jun 03, 2012 Vikki Vaught rated it really liked it
Another sweet romance by Carolynn Carey. I really enjoy this one.
Kbee
Short and sweet! Touching little love story.
blondemummy
Dec 29, 2012 blondemummy rated it liked it
Shelves: free-ebooks
Sharon
Dec 27, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
Light, easy read.
Ann
Dec 29, 2013 Ann rated it did not like it
Good job it was such a short book as I would never have bothered finishing it..
Kendra
Feb 22, 2013 Kendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story. I only wish it was a full-length novel, instead of so short. The epilogue wasn't even necessary--I think the story stands fine without it.
Doreen
Doreen rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 14, 2015 08:44AM
  • Enchanted (Merry Nicholas, #2)
  • Forever Christmas
  • Save Me, Santa
  • Masquerade Secrets (Scandals and Secrets, #2)
  • Mistletoe in Maine (Holiday Brides #3)
  • A Ravishing Redhead (Wedded Women Quartet, #2)
  • Be Mine For Christmas
  • Mistletoe Mischief (Romancing Wisconsin Series, #1)
  • A Bride For Christmas (Regency Christmas Brides, #1)
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • Midsummer Eve At Rookery End
  • One True Love
  • The Winter Wife: A Christmas Novella
  • Curricle & Chaise
  • Rose, Undercover (Dead Roses, #1.1)
  • Ice Gods
  • An Unforgettable Rogue (Rogues Club, #2)
  • Christmas in Magnolia Cove (New Beginnings, #5)
Carolynn Carey is an award-winning romance author of both sweet contemporaries and of historicals set in the Regency period.

In addition to writing, she loves to read, knit, and, on occasion. crochet if the pattern is super easy.

She is married and has one delightful daughter, an excellent son-in-law, and a grandson who she claims is exceptional in all ways.
More about Carolynn Carey...