Start by marking “Pulse (Pulse, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pulse (Pulse, #1)

Pulse (Pulse #1)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,654 Ratings  ·  465 Reviews
In the year 2051, who has a pulse?

With the help of her mysterious classmate Dylan Gilmore, Faith Daniels discovers that she can move objects with her mind. This telekinetic ability is called a “pulse,” and Dylan has the talent, too.

In riveting action scenes, Faith demonstrates her ability to use her pulse against a group of telekinesis masters who are so powerful they can
Published February 26th 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pulse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pulse

The 5th Wave by Rick YanceyGameboard of the Gods by Richelle MeadMind Games by Kiersten WhiteThe Program by Suzanne YoungLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
First In Series (2013)
23rd out of 1,027 books — 2,311 voters
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiEverbound by Brodi AshtonBoundless by Cynthia HandLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
Amazing Covers of 2013
23rd out of 445 books — 975 voters

More lists with this book...

Blythe
Warning: Incredibly long review with some minor spoilers

After finishing and forming my own - and mostly negative - opinions about Pulse, I'd decided to flip back to the first few pages of my ARC and read some of the advance praise quotes it had gotten so far, and see how vastly those opinions differed from mine, and more importantly if I found them to just be the basic difference in opinions, which I will always accept, or something I find to be completely and utterly false, which I have a not-a
Ashley
Feb 20, 2013 Ashley rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, physical-arc
BookNook - Young Adult book reviews

1.5 Stars.... I think...

This books is one big UGH! Pulse was such a huge disappointment for me—so mush so that I'm really dreading writing this review. I really, REALLY wanted to love this book—and I thought I would—but it fell so flat for me, and that kind of breaks my heart.

This is going to be a long review, so if you want the quick and dirty, I'll give that to you first. There were just so many things that added up to make me not enjoy this book: the frustra
Elevetha
1.5 stars.

Summery of the book - Spoilers

(view spoiler)
Priscila
Jan 27, 2015 Priscila rated it did not like it
In the year 2051, who has a pulse?
Well shit, Patrick Carmen, I sure don't 'cause this book was horrid.
description

I got pretty far into the book. Then, I came across a description of the main character biting her thumb out of habit.

She looked down at the thumb and said, "Hold in there little buddy."

description

And the plot/characters are also really really really SHITTY.

I felt like I should write a review though, since I didn't finish it.
Karin
Mar 01, 2013 Karin rated it it was ok
I was excited to read this book. I’m mean look at the cover. Read the synopsis. But, it was a let down. In my opinion, which is exactly that, MY opinion, this book has many flaws. I’m not going to get very detailed about any of them because I don’t want to spoil it for people that haven’t read it yet. But, I can’t help saying a little.

This book in written with an omniscient narrator. I really don’t like this style. It can make it very confusing, especially for kids. With this type of narrator th
Melissa
Dec 04, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing

Another book that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Filled with action, love, secrets and drama there is nothing more you can ask for in this book.

Faith really burrows her way into your heart, as well as the other characters but her more so than them. She is strong, beautiful and not afraid to tell it ow it is, she loves fiercely and will do what it takes to keep them safe. When she starts a new school she catches the eye of not one but two boys who are completely different. Wade who is se
Misty Baker
Jun 05, 2013 Misty Baker rated it it was ok
I am a sucker for Dystopian literature. This is not a big surprise, as I’m certain most of you have discovered my Dystopian Bucket List by now. But what you may not know is the why. While I think the relationships formed inside quality dystopian literature are easily some of the most compelling these days, it’s the social structures that keep me coming back.

Let’s face it, the world we live in is not perfect. Painfully so. And at any given moment we could be victims of an environmental meltdown,
Spark740
Jul 17, 2013 Spark740 rated it really liked it
Now sometimes you just need a good ol', genetically-engineered-teenagers-in-post-global-warming-world book.

That's what I was expecting, and that's what I got.
First of all, it's pretty clean. A couple minor swears, and yes, a kiss at the end (or two or three, I kinda skipped that kissing-in-the-hospital, after-heroine-has-almost-died-saving-the-hero part [epitome of stereotypical genetically-engineered-teenagers book, right?]) but really? way better than most trash out there.

BAD THINGS.
A lo
the golden witch.
Okay, so...wow, this blurb was so very promising. I loved the idea of kids with PK (psychokinesis) abilities along with a devastated earth, but unfortunately, much like Carman's previous effort "Dark Eden", for me, "Pulse" really failed to deliver in pretty much all technical areas. If you're looking for something new and exciting, you may want to look elsewhere.

Where to start? There was so much about this book that really needed a few more drafts. I guess I'll start with the narration - it feel
Marie
OH MY GOSH PATRICK CARMAN HAS ANOTHER BOOK COMING OUT!

I can't wait for this. Patrick Carman can do no wrong!

UPDATE MARCH 2013: Patrick Carman has to be one of my favorite authors EVER. I don't think there's been one book that he's written that I haven't read and loved. And PULSE is no exception. I loved everything about it! It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, and kept me guessing until the end.

All in all, a superb novel. I can't wait to see what Patrick Carman comes up with next!

C
Audra
Feb 26, 2013 Audra rated it really liked it
Review Originally Posted at The Society's Bookshelf

The very first thing that struck me in Pulse was the world built around the characters. Everything seemed crafted so well, and I was drawn into the story immediately. I wasn’t sure where it was going, but I was along for the ride. I’m honestly not sure how I feel about the book, as there were definitely pros and cons to the book.

I really loved the characters. I felt that Faith was a strong female lead that really carried the book and brought me
Mara
Sep 02, 2013 Mara rated it did not like it
Shelves: futuristic, 1-star
Cover Blurb: Yes or No? Admittedly, it was the cover that first caught my interest. A floating tree isn't something one sees every day. That and it also eerily looks like the cover of Insurgent (hmmm). Here's a fun activity for you guys. Hold Pulse and Insurgent up to each other. Deja vu? No; they're just that similar.

Characters: I am saving the protagonist for last, and beginning with Hawk, the nerdy little dude who also has a tendency of talking way too much and cracking jokes that, in the han
Gabrielle
Jun 07, 2013 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
Carmen did an amazing job of writing not only a believable story but amazing as well. With its time frame only 30 years from now, you could actually imagine a world such as this. It's a little scary to think about.

Faith is one of a kind. I loved how you were thrown in her "normal" life only to watch it get turned upside down by the unthinkable. You really got to know her and understand her need for Liz and then Hawk.

Tablets and natural disasters? Sounds familiar. I think that was the best part
Rosie Monson
Jul 22, 2013 Rosie Monson rated it really liked it
I really liked that the main character was tall :) I'm not sure why but it made it super awesome.
Also, I really liked that the book was written in third person and that you got to do different perspectives. it wasn't a difficult way though. I have a hard time when authors do different perspectives every chapter, because it always ends up being too long or too short and i end up feeling annoyed. But in this book, Patrick Carman smoothly would transfer to someone else's perspective without any war
This book wasn’t what I was expecting, and I didn’t really enjoy it.

The characters in this were all pretty immature, and I didn’t really like any of them. They irritated me a bit in places, and I didn’t really care much what happened to them.

The storyline in this bored me a bit, there was some action, and things happened that I didn’t see coming, but I just felt bored most of the time, and there were some predictable moments too. Things weren’t explained well, even with the info dumps,
Faith Williams
Nov 22, 2012 Faith Williams rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! Originally I only wanted to read it because the main character's name was Faith, but I am so happy that it was much more. It reminded me of Divergent plus a better version of vs. Reality. It was just great I wanted to thank Mr. Carman for giving me this great masterpiece of writing that left me with so much longing for the next that I felt like crying. I kept on saying, NO! Whenever the character fell into something bad. The characters emotions were my emotions because ...more
Courtney
Mar 04, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it
Maybe I'm getting old and fantasy romances like this about the not so far away future make life more interesting but to all you folks that dissed it Pulse beware because this middle-age mama loved it !
Since reading Carrie I thought it would be really cool to move things with my mind and in this story Faith has this power along with a handful of others who live outside the dense super city "States " post global warming crisis. Everybody has a tablet that shrinks down to pocket size but does ever
BAYA Librarian
Jul 05, 2013 BAYA Librarian rated it it was amazing
Global warming has led to the establishment of enclosed States that are gobbling up land by expanding their walls. Outside the State, Faith Daniels tries to enjoy a little bit of freedom by sneaking into an abandoned school to read books. At her high school she takes classes on her tablet with only a few adults at the school to monitor the students. The tablets are used for more than just education; they are used by the States to draw people inside by enticing them with entertainment that can on ...more
Morrigan
Jul 31, 2013 Morrigan rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013-read
The year. 2051. Dystopian world. Cause. Environmental kaputz. People stay in dome like states in order to safeguard the earth, or something along those lines. The book was rather vague into all the world building. We only get the gist at the end, all neatly tied in a few pages. Faith is special because she can move things with her mind. There are bad people in the world. Dylan is a boy that helps her discover her powers and her mission. Blah.

I had high hopes for this book. It had received great
Katie O'Donnell
Jun 22, 2013 Katie O'Donnell rated it did not like it
Do not waste your time reading this book. It is not only a horrible waste of money, but I also think I fried some brain cells reading this "novel." I wanted to like this book, and I thought I would! The pretty cover and interesting plot. I thought why not!

I went to books a million and bought three books, Pulse being one of them. I was so exited to read this book that it was the first one I read when I got home. AND I COULDN'T EVEN FINISH IT!

The character development was nonexistent and dry. I
Abbie
Jan 01, 2015 Abbie rated it liked it
Actual rating - 2.5

This wasn't a very enjoyable read for me.

The characters were all rather dull, so i didn't love any of them.

The storyline in this was quite weird and confusing, and it just couldn't keep my interest. I was glad when the book was over!

Overall, Weird, confusing, not a great read for me.
Jami Montgomery
Sep 20, 2012 Jami Montgomery marked it as to-read
The cover makes me think of Insurgent :/
Liam
May 31, 2014 Liam rated it did not like it
I read this book because I've partly enjoyed Carman's works in the past. I heard good things about it, and despite a seemingly small reputation of being a love story, I picked it up, expecting an action-packed book as described in its synopsis. I was disappointed.

No action actually appears until almost a third of the way through the book, and even then it's described in a drug-induced stupor. No special powers appear until halfway through the book, whereas I was led to believe it would be the fo
Ashley
Feb 13, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book!!

I was genuinely surprised with Pulse. After reading the description, I was thinking the book sounded interesting, but I wasn't prepared for how interesting it really was.

Many books like this leave the reader a little confused about the world the characters live in (at least for a little while), but this was not the case in Pulse. Patrick Carman has a way of telling a story that is both interesting and easy to follow. He didn't leave any of the details out that would cause
The Twins Read
Feb 03, 2014 The Twins Read rated it did not like it
This review can originally be found at The Twins Read.

You know how this book promised riveting action scenes as stated on the flap of the book jacket? Yeah. That's probably what drew me in along with the promise of telekinesis and flying boulders and general chaos all around. I mean, bad guys that can throw people and objects around like a rag doll? Count me in yo.

Did I get what I was promised? Nope. Not at all. This was a total downer, my friends.

Let's start with the characters - Faith, the pr
Stacey B.
Feb 22, 2013 Stacey B. rated it it was ok
2.5/5

OVERALL IMPRESSION: This book has great imagery. From the very opening scene, I could picture everything perfectly. Carman does a great job of painting a picture for us to imagine in our minds. I really liked the scene towards the beginning of the book in the old elementary school library.

About halfway through the book, I felt like I got slapped in the face (in a good way) by something I never saw coming. And then after that, the book lost it's way for me.

I feel like the book switched poin
Brianna
Jun 06, 2013 Brianna rated it really liked it
When I first picked up Pulse I really didn't think I was going to like it but I figured I would give it a shot.

And let me tell you, Best. Decision. Ever.

Patrick Carman's style reminded me of Lois Lowry, which might be why I liked the book so much. Usually I'm a strict first person reader but if third person is done right, it's beautiful.

To be honest, I don't really know how to start reviewing the book. So much happened! The first part of the book is pretty confusing just because nothing about be
Kaitlyn
Pulse was an okay read for me. It was disappointing on some levels, but overall it was a unique read.

What I didn't like: the romance, and some of the characters. The romance is pretty much like all the other love stories out there. The main character Faith is immediately in love with Dylan and finds him mysterious, dangerous, and intriguing. I just didn't find the love story to be convincing or realistic at all.

And the characters. They are all simply okay-ish. I didn't connect much with Faith;
David Sebek
Feb 26, 2014 David Sebek rated it really liked it
Patrick Carman creates a barren, empty dystopian world where citizens are forced to move into States so the planet has a chance to reverse the effects of Global Warming. Living in the barren, desolated leftovers of society are the last hold outs, those people who refuse the lure of the States. Faith Daniels and her friends go to school in a ghost town, addicted to their Tablets, going to school so that a "teacher" can monitor them while they watch their lessons.

Trouble arises in the wonder twins
Hannah
Dec 27, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
In post apocalyptic America there only remains two regions left. Faith lives on the outside in an empty wasteland of abandoned schools and shopping malls. More and more people are moving into the quarantined state. A group of violent rebels called the Drifters roam the outside world, reject technology and oppose the state. Faith’s world is changed when her best friend leaves for the quarantined state without saying goodbye and a mysterious boy takes an interest in her. It is refreshing to read a ...more
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Revolution 19 (Revolution 19, #1)
  • Wasteland (Wasteland, #1)
  • The Different Girl
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • Rush (The Game, #1)
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)
  • Doomed
  • Half Lives
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • Legacy of the Clockwork Key (The Secret Order, #1)
  • The Brokenhearted (The Brokenhearted #1)
  • Orleans
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • When We Wake (When We Wake, #1)
  • Colonization (Paradise Reclaimed, #1)
I have been a lifelong writer and storyteller. Salem, Oregon is where I spent my formative years and I graduated from Willamette University. After college, I spent a decade living in Portland, Oregon where I worked in advertising, game design, and technology.

I've written young adult and children's books for Scholastic, Little Brown Books For Young Readers and Katherine Tegen Books/ HarperCollins P
More about Patrick Carman...

Pulse (3 books)
  • Tremor (Pulse, #2)
  • Quake (Pulse, #3)

“You can't be gone. I need you here, with me. What am I going to do without you?” 8 likes
“Find love, for love in a broken world will comfort you. Hold on to hope; it will sustain you. Have faith, for in the end it will save you.” 6 likes