Start by marking “Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage” as Want to Read:
Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage

Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  23 reviews
One man ravaged by disease, the other by war, their stories--and fates--bound by an ancient entity that thrives on suffering.

For Detective Ernest Riley, the path to damnation begins with an anonymously mailed recording detailing a series of grisly murders. Can Riley unravel its secrets without sacrificing his humanity? Or will he surrender to the RAGE inside him?

Strom Whel
Paperback, First, 124 pages
Published May 28th 2012 by Omnium Gatherum Media

To ask other readers questions about Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage

Knock Knock by S.P. MiskowskiTwenty-Eight Teeth of Rage by Ennis DrakeIdols &  Cons by Shannon GiglioChuggie and the Desecration of Stagwater by Brent Michael KelleyThe Black Dog Eats the City by Chris Kelso
Books I Love from Omnium Gatherum
2nd out of 31 books — 6 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberObsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutAngelfall by Susan EeOn Dublin Street by Samantha Young
Cheap Kindle Books Worth Reading
249th out of 967 books — 1,000 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve
Whoo boy! This one had some pop to it. As I understand it, this is Ennis Drake’s first “novel.” At 128 pages, that’s probably more in the novella range, but in the field of Horror, if you employ potent economy, effective atmosphere, shock, and good character development, that’s an honorable place to be. Drake does well on all counts. Normally, I’m not big on possessed power tools, cars, and other objects – beyond houses of course. But Drake builds a good (and totally horrific) historical foundat ...more
Nick Gucker
This was a rather visceral little monster of a novella, excellent story telling device used to convey multiple points of view with a slightly noir edge and an economy of style. It takes a bit for things to get rolling, but the set-up in the beginning is quite necessary to fully flesh-out the gravity of all that comes to a head. This character driven vortex explores the trauma of post-war PTSD's, bruised relationships, and dire obsession, as the layers get peeled back and the open wounds start to ...more
John Palisano
Listen: I loved this book, and probably for all the wrong reasons. What do I mean by that? Well, it's not for everyone. If you dig 'normal' storytelling and paint-by-numbers procedurals, you're going to be frustrated. However, if you're looking for something that is not ordinary, you may enjoy this. First off: the beginning of the book felt very different than the last third. There was a lot of Military action and stuff going down, which was fine, and there were sprinkles of the story to come. A ...more
Benjamin Ethridge
Ennis Drake's writing absolutely cooks. From start to finish, I was enthralled with his imagery, language, and mastery of creating horrific chaos (deep (deep ( deep in the soul) ) ).

This is a story that could have been another tired horror exercise-- the haunting of a man, his madness that ensues and the various destruction it causes in his life and to his loved one(s); for me, this type of tale, barring stunning creativity, has become older than space dust. Even with a spark of originality, you
S.P.
This is a tale of possession and madness, but the kind that any sane person will understand. Drake gets inside the heart and mind of each character and never stops digging for the truth. You know these people. I know them. They have suffered terribly, and they are haunted by their loss. At the same time they are the inheritors of the spectacular horrors human beings have hurled at one another throughout our blood-spattered history. This is a hell of a ghost story, one you won't forget thanks to ...more
Jason Rolfe
Ennis Drake is a very good writer. With Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage he seamlessly weaves journal entries, recorded monologues, and horrific visions into a compelling story that bleeds raw emotion. The depth of character, the intricacy of thought and (misguided) motive, and the vivid realism Drake brings to each and every page make this short novel both compelling and difficult to put down.

While Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage is pure, unapologetic horror, it symbolizes the (very real) pursuit of life
M Griffin
This short debut novel quickly establishes that newcomer Ennis Drake can really write. The narrative voice is strong, rich with nuance and flavor. Scene after scene exhibits Drake's competence at playing out a narrative thread. The book is clearly in the horror category but also has a noir genre feel to it, including the common noir element of the emotionally or psychologically damaged law enforcement officer for a main character.

The whole story, every character interaction, is a pool of hard,
Brent Kelley
It's not a long read (124 pages), but it's a good read. The story is brilliantly conceived and masterfully executed. The Yaholos stand out, led by the gruesome Hadjo. But that was a long time ago. Rage has returned. Terror in the South Florida swamps in the 1800s, IED's along the Fallujah roadside, the KILL SAW screaming hungrily in the basement... all told with gritty detail and originality. This story stuck with me, and I'm certain I'll think about it every time I use my chop saw.
Keith Deininger
Very exciting--cinematic almost. I couldn't stop reading this one (actually, I sneaked away at work and took a half hour #2 to finish it ;)). The shifting narrative voices technique can come across as contrived, but Drake pulls it off beautifully. Very well-told and excellent prose style.

I should probably give this 4 stars, but, fuck it--I really enjoyed Drake's flagrant violence and gore.
David
Dark, hallucinatory visions of hell come to life in Ennis Drake's debut novel,"Twenyt-Eight Teeth of Rage". This is a slim novel, but the writing here quickly encapsulates the reader in a bottle of horror.
It's a story about darkness and what happens when we let darkness consume our hearts and minds.
I'm looking forward to more stories from this author.
Bravo!
Hal Bodner
Had it been written as a short story, Ennis Drake's "Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage" might have been a genuinely creepy, off-beat tale of horror. Compression would have done this novella a world of good, intensifying the horror elements, forcing the author to develop character more efficiently and helping to create a viable plot. As it stands however, "Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage" is just a silly bit of stuff that completely fails to work on any level.

It's no spoiler to mention that the twenty-eight
Dawna
The beginning of this e-book really threw me off because it deals with something that is historical. While it is still horrific, i am not really into history, so i was thinking oh no... but wait... it was a plot point that was crucial to the whole story. Once the tale was told and the story really got flowing, it was hard to stop for a break! The tension was just under the surface for about half the book, not knowing exactly where you are being led and then BAM! It hits you all at once and does ...more
Beverly
This book is a fun entry into the slasher genre. While it isn't my favourite genre, I still found Drake's book to be a page-turner. I read it in one sitting and found that it kept me saying "Just one more page" until I got to the end. I particularly liked the historical elements, being a fellow Floridian. If you like slasher, I can definitely recommend this. If you like a twisted look at historical figures, I can recommend it as well.
Karl Fischer
Told primarily in diary entries and voice recordings, Twenty Eight Teeth of Rage reads like a murder mystery for most of its length. The author has a lot of skill in writing dense, character-driven prose, as well as an almost Lovecraftian style of evoking cinematic images of otherworldly horror and violence. His narration is not straightforward - it will often speak with several mouths at once, which conveys how powerful and invasive our antagonist is.

(MILD SPOILERS)

The worst thing I can say abo
Marilou Johnson
Apr 25, 2013 Marilou Johnson marked it as to-read
Shelves: free-books
Another interesting looking FREE book!
Todd Russell
Great title, good cover artwork and the blurb pulled me into this novella. It opens with a bloody scene that happened in the past and then flashes forward to present day with a detective who receives a disturbing package. An evil totem that enjoys suffering and transcends time haunts a skill saw, er kill saw, in the hands of a vet who lost his legs and is "literally half a man" (a description in both the blurb and story which seems wrong on so many levels).

This one tries ridiculously hard to be
Andrew
Hmmm ...

Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage has a strange premise. If I'd summarized it here (which I won't, 'cause it'd be a spoiler, although the cover does have a clue), you'd probably start snickering. The fact that author Ennis Drake is able to pull it off without the READER snickering is a compliment to his writing skills.

The book is short, more novella in my opinion. It seems to jump around a little; by the end, I figured out what was going on, and the strengths and weaknesses of the characters.
Johnny Worthen
I picked up this book when I saw it listed as a 2012 Shirley Jackson Award Nominee. I was not disappointed.

Ennis Drake's prose is modern and tight. He has a gift for description. He adroitly links the past with the present, the mundane with the supernatural, the ordinary with the horrifying. (I'll never look at a saw the same way again.) I particularly liked the feel of the book. It has a real sense of place and history which is often neglected or poorly done in short fiction of this kind. And,
Mirrani
A quick read that packs one hard punch. This was an amazing short story to read with a perfect balance of blood and plot. I never wanted to put it down and finished it all at once. For many readers the beginning will seem out of place with the rest of the book, but don't worry, it will all be revealed in the end. This was a wonderful read and I highly recommend it for fans of horror suspense/thrillers.

Note: Though this book was a free gift from the author, the content of my review was in no way
Karl
The story of an angry/hungry sKILL saw from another dimension wanting to feed on blood. This was really no my cup of tea. There were too many ingredients mixed together, most of them sad or depressing. The author has potential.
Craig
*Goodreads first reads Advanced Copy*

I found Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage to be a quick, enjoyable read. While the beginning was a bit hard to follow, the ending more than made up for it. Half way through the story I could not put it down.

I would say that a few times some of the language seemed to be used more for 'shock factor' then actual story building, but overall I would recommend the book to all mature horror fans.
Patti
Just finished reading this amazing book! All I can say is WOW!! The writing style is fantastic!! I loved the way the author gave different view points to the same story! It was fast paced from beginning to end. The story line kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time! I found myself talking to the book! I can't wait to read what Drake is writing next!!
Amber
I received this book for free from the goodreads firstreads giveaway. This was an awesome book and very hard to put down, it reminded me of an episode of 'Masters of Horror'. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in a good gory book that doesn't take too long.
Nev Murray
Nev Murray marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Lín
Lín marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
  • Knock Knock
  • NorthWest (John Hazard, #2)
  • A Singapore Love Story
  • A Latent Dark
  • Parallel Spirits
  • First World Problems in an Age of terrorism and Ennui
  • The Frenzy Way (The Frenzy Wolves, #1)
  • Death Springs Eternal (The Rift #3)
  • Love is a Promise Kept
  • Family Tradition
  • The Devil's Madonna
  • The Sun, the Moon and Maybe the Trains
  • Ghosts of Nagasaki: Silence
My debut novel, "28 Teeth of Rage", was released by Omnium Gatherum Media on May 31st.

"28 Teeth of Rage has the bite of a crocodile. Drake tears a hole right through modern horror. This guy isn't on the way; he's kicking in the door."
--Laird Barron, two-time Shirley Jackson Award-winning author of "The Imago Sequence", "Occultation", and "The Croning"

"[28 Teeth of Rage] is a tale of possession an
More about Ennis Drake...
The Day and the Hour and Drone Tales of Jack the Ripper Horror Library, Volume 4 Little Visible Delight A is for Apocalypse