Start by marking “Fossil River” as Want to Read:
Fossil River

Fossil River

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Fossil fuel has an ageless affinity with dinosaurs. To create oil, dinosaurs died. Now the tables are turning!

The perfect energy storm is sweeping over the United States: Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant meltdown has paralyzed nuclear expansion globally, BP’s Gulf of Mexico oil spill has stalled deep water drilling, Arab oil countries are in turmoil causing doubt about acce
Kindle Edition
Published May 21st 2012 by Story Merchant Books

To ask other readers questions about Fossil River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fossil River

Lynda Dixon
I hate to give a bad review, especially for a debut author, because I always like to give them the chance to success. That's why I read this book all the way to the end, even though it failed once past the first 2 chapters. I had really high hopes for this book. The premise of our world being on it's last drop of oil and a huge oil field found in Alaska was so real. Finding dinosaurs in the state park was a really nice scifi twist. But what the book turned out to be was not what I expected at al ...more
Marsha Wilcox
I love this book! SO well-written! Being an experienced reader, I had "what's gonna happen next" figured out 3 times -- and got surprised each time. Surprised in a way that kept me reading!

The 1st chapter has way more technical data than I like, altho some may find it fascinating, and I prepared myself to be bored. Not so. Really, SO not so!

And I was convinced that aggressive Sec'y of Defense would leave everyone
else shaking their heads. Hehehe!

It's a little bit detective story, little bit adve
Katya
Kenneth
Jun 06, 2012 Kenneth added it
Shelves: developed
A four-quadrant adventure about a burning issue of our times: the oil shortage. Along with a colony of creatures who protect the largest cache the US has ever discovered. Creatures so strong the US Marines are no match for them. I see it as a major motion picture.
Lynda Coker
~"They won't charge us, Scott. They're going to watch us first. Feel us out. They'll surround us, alright, but they'll stay at the edge of the clearing, waiting studying us. I know their habits, especially hunting and tracking."~ Page 164

I'm always ready to suspend reality in favor of a good story, especially one that keeps me on the razor-edge of terror. This is a science fiction/adventure story. I'm sure not all the science premise is bulletproof, but then, If I wanted science facts, I'd take
Tere
"Pitiful. Jes pitiful". Quoting Jed Clampet here. It had a great idea for a plot. There were lots of editing mistakes. I work in the oil industry. There is no way on God's green earth that a "industrial rig" as was mentioned in the climax of the story could be carried across mountains in Alaska by helicopter. Pipelines do not appear over night.

I am glad this was a freebie on Amazon so I don't feel bad about deleting this book. I can't give it one star. I'm sorry for the first time author becaus
Doc
Fossil fuel has an ageless affinity with dinosaurs. To create oil, dinosaurs died. Now, in this riveting action thriller, the tables are turning!

The perfect energy storm is sweeping over the United States: Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant meltdown has paralyzed nuclear expansion globally, BP’s Gulf of Mexico oil spill has stalled deep water drilling, Arab countries are in turmoil causing doubt about access to future oil, hurricanes hitting the Gulf’s oil rigs and refineries have increased due to
Jerry Newhouse
It was an enjoyable read. The character development was rich and deep. Their reactions and thoughts were accurately recorded. The author had a true grasp as to who each of these people were and what drove them on a deeper level.

It was an exciting adventure. I did enjoy some serious adrenaline rushes, which for me is mandatory for an action/adventure novel.

One big sore thumb that should have been addressed early on was the setting up of the desperate need for energy by the United States. The aut
Sharon Michael
Enjoyed this book, definitely action/adventure with a hint of Jurassic Park and a plot built around the oil crisis. Moved along well, good characterizations and plenty of action.

The first 3/4 of the book was headed to a 5-star rating but unfortunately the ending seemed to run out of steam and fall back on stereotyped additional characters/plot themes which I found disappointing.

The main female character was brought in late in the book with a real stretch for a backstory and the end was built aro
Axel Garcia
The premise of the novel "Fossil River" was promising, but the plot details were at times fanciful and absolutely ridiculous.

The plot is as follows: The United States of America is facing a dire energy crisis. Emerging powers such as China have seized control of the foreign oil supply by signing deals with Middle Eastern nations that preclude any prior agreement with the USA.
Dru Pagliassotti
It's a thriller about a national oil crisis, a bit oil find in remote Alaska, the ferocious dinosaurs that live on the land, and the military that wants that oil. A lot of of familiar plot devices here, but what's not to like about a novel in which the dinosaurs actually have feathers? Finally!
Bob
The US is down to just days’ worth of oil and an all-out push to find a source within the US finds a huge field in Alaska. The find is in a remote valley surrounded by tall mountains and Volcanoes, It’s a region that difficult to get into, but where several intrepid fishermen have gone in search of record catches. None have returned. A couple of park Rangers investigate the latest missing fisherman and discover that the valley harbors a living fossil, or rather a whole bunch of them and they are ...more
Jim A
Fans of the works of James Rollins might find this one enjoyable. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

A little of Doyle's Lost World, a little of Crichton's Jurassic Park.

After a pretty good start it became too predictable and the editing errors became a distraction.
Kalda Orso
Riveting

Totally suspenseful. I sat with my hand over my mouth the majority of the book. I couldn't put it down. It's like watching a movie you don't want to take a break from for fear that something will happen you don't want to miss.
R. Hill
Yes it was a bit predictable at times and had some themes common in some other popular fiction (Jurassic Park). That being said it was a definite page turner and the science was adequately believable. I really liked it and would read more from this author.
Daniel Hutmacher
An interesting read.

When I first got this book I thought it might be interesting. I was right. it's very interesting. There were some things I didn't care for but I found it to be an interesting book.
linda jo rardon
A very good readl

l chose this book because I love action type stories. it kept me on the edge of my seat. it is a good read.
Celia
Alaskan Jurassic Park

It would Make a good movie. I would be willing to go see it in a theatre. Three more words.
Daniel Montiel
I shouldn't really call this fantasy, but...
Think of this as a more advanced, more accurate, and slightly more-poorly-written Jurassic Park. I found myself skimming towards the end, not too interested in this chapter's "OMG the dinosaur is going to get us!" development. I like the concept, but some of the dialogue might as well have been replaced with plot developments snippets, ala "[This character is being unsympathetic so you can start to dislike her.]" Transparent and unsubtle.
Core story is
Jon West
Set in Alaska. Oil explorations discovers valley with prehistoric climate and fauna. Looming energy crisis creates a conflict between preservation of the ecosystem and harvesting the oil. Park rangers and marines struggle with raptors. Paleontologist and ranger work for preservation of valley. Recommended

Good Reads Rating system
My rating system (*]star)
1* couldn't finish book
Velvetink
Jul 08, 2015 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
kindle
April Parrish
If you've ever read a Michael Creighton book then you will appreciate Fossil River. It is a great novel, however, you do have to get through a lot of technical stuff at the beginning. I admit I did skim over the technical stuff (as I do with Creighton's books) because I don't understand it or don't need to know it for the story. Once you get to the story it is a wild ride with living fossils, terror, and a nation on the brink of an energy crisis. I look forward to more books by Jock Miller.
Deb
Predictable and silly.
Leah
Yes Dinosaurs!

That is how I felt about this story going into it. Did it deliver...for the most part yes; I am not sure how accurate the science/technical aspect of it is, since most of my dinosaur knowledge comes from Jurassic Park. ( I Love Jurassic Park, btw) Overlooking that, then yeah it was good. Towards the end they are a lot of typos, which drove me crazy. But I love a good dinosaur book.
Linda Branich
I am not a big fan of sci fi, but this was a good WHAT I.
WHEN OPEC sells most of iys fossil fuel to the CHINESE, AMERICA is in dire need of fuel--she will run out in only days. A Huge deposit of oil is found beneath a mountain in a National Park in Alaska, however a colony of huge, powerful flying dinosaurs live there. I do not want to spoil the story; I will just,recommend it.

Valerie
In the very beginning I wasn't sure I was going to get into this book but I gave it a chance and trudged on and was glad I did.
It was suspenseful, scary, nerve wreaking, gory at times and for the most part it was interesting.
I say most because the last bit of this book was a bit of a disappointment to me, I feel it went nowhere.
But that's ok, I still enjoyed the journey.
Linda
About halfway through this book, I was ready to give it 5 stars. Channeling Jurassic Park, the science premise seemed convincing and I liked the characters. Enter the teenagers. Down goes the rating. I felt they were not realistic at all and made the adult characters too tolerant. This caused the story to tank a bit. Still, an enjoyable read.
Holly Brown
A fun, fast-paced read. A good discovery.

A perfect read if you're on a plane, train or automobile or stranded on a beach (poor you, right?). It's a fun story and light in both plot and characters. I enjoyed it. I probably won't ever read it again, but I'm glad I read it the once because it was entertaining.
Tom
In spite of some predictable runs in the story line, and a little "deja vu" from Jurassic Park, I found this book a quick and gripping read. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
Jerry Greene
I enjoyed the entire premise of the story. So much is written about Living Fossils. It fits well with science fiction.
  • Earthfall (Dinosaur Wars, #1)
  • PLAZA: An Archaeological Thriller
  • Dinosaur Lake
  • The River
  • Dominatus
  • Passage Graves
  • The Inner Circle (Comet Clement series, #1)
  • Camelot's Cousin: The Spy Who Betrayed Kennedy
  • Desolate - The Complete Trilogy
  • Stigma
  • Before the Darkness (Refuge Inc., #1)
  • Flashy Fiction and Other Insane Tales
  • Freezing Point
  • Eternity Base (The Green Berets, #5)
  • Walker