Start by marking “Fossil River” as Want to Read:
Fossil River

Fossil River

Fossil fuel has an ageless affinity with dinosaurs. To create oil, dinosaurs died. Now the tables are turning!

The perfect energy storm is sweeping over the United States: Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant meltdown has paralyzed nuclear expansion globally, BP’s Gulf of Mexico oil spill has stalled deep water drilling, Arab oil countries are in turmoil causing doubt about acce
Kindle Edition
Published May 21st 2012 by Story Merchant Books

To ask other readers questions about Fossil River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fossil River

Lynda Engler
Jun 06, 2012 Lynda Engler rated it did not like it
I hate to give a bad review, especially for a debut author, because I always like to give them the chance to success. That's why I read this book all the way to the end, even though it failed once past the first 2 chapters. I had really high hopes for this book. The premise of our world being on it's last drop of oil and a huge oil field found in Alaska was so real. Finding dinosaurs in the state park was a really nice scifi twist. But what the book turned out to be was not what I expected at al ...more
Marsha Wilcox
Jun 24, 2012 Marsha Wilcox rated it it was amazing
I love this book! SO well-written! Being an experienced reader, I had "what's gonna happen next" figured out 3 times -- and got surprised each time. Surprised in a way that kept me reading!

The 1st chapter has way more technical data than I like, altho some may find it fascinating, and I prepared myself to be bored. Not so. Really, SO not so!

And I was convinced that aggressive Sec'y of Defense would leave everyone
else shaking their heads. Hehehe!

It's a little bit detective story, little bit adve
Katya
Aug 05, 2013 Katya rated it really liked it
Kenneth
Jun 06, 2012 Kenneth added it
Shelves: developed
A four-quadrant adventure about a burning issue of our times: the oil shortage. Along with a colony of creatures who protect the largest cache the US has ever discovered. Creatures so strong the US Marines are no match for them. I see it as a major motion picture.
Dan
Nov 07, 2016 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting read

Very great read. Totally believable story. I want to go to Alaska and see the dinosaur park!! Maybe get the oil changed in my car while I am there. As good as Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park!!!
Definitely pick this one up!!!!!
Jenny
Feb 26, 2017 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fossil River review

Great story, nice read. One section, two thirds of the way through, was too long and unnecessary. Also the two kids did some really dumb things that got people killed and they weren't held accountable, scolded or made to understand what they did was wrong.
Doc
Oct 04, 2013 Doc rated it it was amazing
Fossil fuel has an ageless affinity with dinosaurs. To create oil, dinosaurs died. Now, in this riveting action thriller, the tables are turning!

The perfect energy storm is sweeping over the United States: Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant meltdown has paralyzed nuclear expansion globally, BP’s Gulf of Mexico oil spill has stalled deep water drilling, Arab countries are in turmoil causing doubt about access to future oil, hurricanes hitting the Gulf’s oil rigs and refineries have increased due to
Charles Ray
Nov 05, 2015 Charles Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starved for oil and on the brink of a nationwide blackout, the U.S. faces an uncertain future until a previously unknown fossil fuel deposit is found in a remote national park in northern Alaska. In a desperate move, the President orders the military to move in to secure the deposit for exploitation. What they encounter, though, is beyond anything they’ve ever before experienced; a colony of living fossils, the most dangerous predators to ever live, still live, and their territory happens to be ...more
Sharon Michael
Jun 03, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book, definitely action/adventure with a hint of Jurassic Park and a plot built around the oil crisis. Moved along well, good characterizations and plenty of action.

The first 3/4 of the book was headed to a 5-star rating but unfortunately the ending seemed to run out of steam and fall back on stereotyped additional characters/plot themes which I found disappointing.

The main female character was brought in late in the book with a real stretch for a backstory and the end was built aro
Jerry Newhouse
Jul 29, 2013 Jerry Newhouse rated it really liked it
It was an enjoyable read. The character development was rich and deep. Their reactions and thoughts were accurately recorded. The author had a true grasp as to who each of these people were and what drove them on a deeper level.

It was an exciting adventure. I did enjoy some serious adrenaline rushes, which for me is mandatory for an action/adventure novel.

One big sore thumb that should have been addressed early on was the setting up of the desperate need for energy by the United States. The aut
Lynda Coker
Jan 22, 2014 Lynda Coker rated it really liked it
~"They won't charge us, Scott. They're going to watch us first. Feel us out. They'll surround us, alright, but they'll stay at the edge of the clearing, waiting studying us. I know their habits, especially hunting and tracking."~ Page 164

I'm always ready to suspend reality in favor of a good story, especially one that keeps me on the razor-edge of terror. This is a science fiction/adventure story. I'm sure not all the science premise is bulletproof, but then, If I wanted science facts, I'd take
Bob
Jul 29, 2013 Bob rated it really liked it
The US is down to just days’ worth of oil and an all-out push to find a source within the US finds a huge field in Alaska. The find is in a remote valley surrounded by tall mountains and Volcanoes, It’s a region that difficult to get into, but where several intrepid fishermen have gone in search of record catches. None have returned. A couple of park Rangers investigate the latest missing fisherman and discover that the valley harbors a living fossil, or rather a whole bunch of them and they are ...more
Dave  Griffin
Mar 15, 2016 Dave Griffin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dinosaurs Alive?!

An exciting adventure book. The plot was set in very plausible circumstances. The whole world is running out of oil. Governments are getting desperate.
And, then, the possibility of a vast oil field is found. Only two problems. One, it is in one of the harshest landscapes in THE most remote National Parks in Alaska,
And, two, a fierce predator Colony surviving from the age of Dinosaurs lives there.

A good read. It also addresses teen angst, and the importance of telling parents th
Tere
"Pitiful. Jes pitiful". Quoting Jed Clampet here. It had a great idea for a plot. There were lots of editing mistakes. I work in the oil industry. There is no way on God's green earth that a "industrial rig" as was mentioned in the climax of the story could be carried across mountains in Alaska by helicopter. Pipelines do not appear over night.

I am glad this was a freebie on Amazon so I don't feel bad about deleting this book. I can't give it one star. I'm sorry for the first time author becaus
Daniel Montiel
Dec 04, 2012 Daniel Montiel rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I shouldn't really call this fantasy, but...
Think of this as a more advanced, more accurate, and slightly more-poorly-written Jurassic Park. I found myself skimming towards the end, not too interested in this chapter's "OMG the dinosaur is going to get us!" development. I like the concept, but some of the dialogue might as well have been replaced with plot developments snippets, ala "[This character is being unsympathetic so you can start to dislike her.]" Transparent and unsubtle.
Core story is
Jon West
Aug 24, 2013 Jon West rated it really liked it
Set in Alaska. Oil explorations discovers valley with prehistoric climate and fauna. Looming energy crisis creates a conflict between preservation of the ecosystem and harvesting the oil. Park rangers and marines struggle with raptors. Paleontologist and ranger work for preservation of valley. Recommended

Good Reads Rating system
My rating system (*]star)
1* couldn't finish book
2* finished book, but didn't like it
3* a good read
4* a very good read often with a novel concept or unusual plot
5* an exc
April Parrish
Feb 03, 2013 April Parrish rated it really liked it
If you've ever read a Michael Creighton book then you will appreciate Fossil River. It is a great novel, however, you do have to get through a lot of technical stuff at the beginning. I admit I did skim over the technical stuff (as I do with Creighton's books) because I don't understand it or don't need to know it for the story. Once you get to the story it is a wild ride with living fossils, terror, and a nation on the brink of an energy crisis. I look forward to more books by Jock Miller.
Randy Evans
Not much I can say about this one. Just didn't grab me. Did make it to the end and was glad to get there. The author did do a half way good job with the characters, I could see who they were but just didn't like any of them that much. The story line was so so. The author seems to know how to write he just needs to be able to tell a tale. Of course I'm just a reader and couldn't write short story worth reading so it's best to read it yourself and make up your own mind.
 ⇝LEAH⇜
Jun 02, 2012 ⇝LEAH⇜ rated it really liked it
Yes Dinosaurs!

That is how I felt about this story going into it. Did it deliver...for the most part yes; I am not sure how accurate the science/technical aspect of it is, since most of my dinosaur knowledge comes from Jurassic Park. ( I Love Jurassic Park, btw) Overlooking that, then yeah it was good. Towards the end they are a lot of typos, which drove me crazy. But I love a good dinosaur book.
Linda
Nov 13, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
About halfway through this book, I was ready to give it 5 stars. Channeling Jurassic Park, the science premise seemed convincing and I liked the characters. Enter the teenagers. Down goes the rating. I felt they were not realistic at all and made the adult characters too tolerant. This caused the story to tank a bit. Still, an enjoyable read.
Holly Brown
A fun, fast-paced read. A good discovery.

A perfect read if you're on a plane, train or automobile or stranded on a beach (poor you, right?). It's a fun story and light in both plot and characters. I enjoyed it. I probably won't ever read it again, but I'm glad I read it the once because it was entertaining.
Cheryl Amazeen
Mar 24, 2016 Cheryl Amazeen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SCARY, ABSOLUTELY NIGHTMARISH!

Don't read this book at Night! You won't be able to sleep! Extremely well written, heart pounding action, almost non-stop.! Miller includes enough fact to make this story horrifyingly realistic. Hoping for more real soon, well maybe when my heart stops raiding, lol More Mr. Miller please may we have More!
Linda Branich
I am not a big fan of sci fi, but this was a good WHAT I.
WHEN OPEC sells most of iys fossil fuel to the CHINESE, AMERICA is in dire need of fuel--she will run out in only days. A Huge deposit of oil is found beneath a mountain in a National Park in Alaska, however a colony of huge, powerful flying dinosaurs live there. I do not want to spoil the story; I will just,recommend it.

Valerie
Aug 30, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it
In the very beginning I wasn't sure I was going to get into this book but I gave it a chance and trudged on and was glad I did.
It was suspenseful, scary, nerve wreaking, gory at times and for the most part it was interesting.
I say most because the last bit of this book was a bit of a disappointment to me, I feel it went nowhere.
But that's ok, I still enjoyed the journey.
Axel Garcia
Aug 06, 2014 Axel Garcia rated it liked it
The premise of the novel "Fossil River" was promising, but the plot details were at times fanciful and absolutely ridiculous.

The plot is as follows: The United States of America is facing a dire energy crisis. Emerging powers such as China have seized control of the foreign oil supply by signing deals with Middle Eastern nations that preclude any prior agreement with the USA.
Daniel Hutmacher
An interesting read.

When I first got this book I thought it might be interesting. I was right. it's very interesting. There were some things I didn't care for but I found it to be an interesting book.
R. Hill
Jul 14, 2015 R. Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes it was a bit predictable at times and had some themes common in some other popular fiction (Jurassic Park). That being said it was a definite page turner and the science was adequately believable. I really liked it and would read more from this author.
Kalda Orso
Mar 04, 2014 Kalda Orso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

Totally suspenseful. I sat with my hand over my mouth the majority of the book. I couldn't put it down. It's like watching a movie you don't want to take a break from for fear that something will happen you don't want to miss.
Jim A
Sep 30, 2014 Jim A rated it it was ok
Fans of the works of James Rollins might find this one enjoyable. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

A little of Doyle's Lost World, a little of Crichton's Jurassic Park.

After a pretty good start it became too predictable and the editing errors became a distraction.
Dru Pagliassotti
It's a thriller about a national oil crisis, a bit oil find in remote Alaska, the ferocious dinosaurs that live on the land, and the military that wants that oil. A lot of of familiar plot devices here, but what's not to like about a novel in which the dinosaurs actually have feathers? Finally!
  • Earthfall (Dinosaur Wars, #1)
  • The Extinct
  • Tritium Gambit
  • Desolate - The Complete Trilogy
  • Walker
  • The River
  • Before the Darkness (Refuge Inc., #1)
  • Embody
  • Eternity Base (The Green Berets, #5)
  • Panic
  • The Cana Mystery
  • Indisputable Proof
  • Chocolate-Covered Baloney (Confessions of April Grace #3)