The First Americans: In Pursuit of Archaeology's Greatest Mystery

The First Americans: In Pursuit of Archaeology's Greatest Mystery

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  18 reviews

At its heart, The First Americans is the story of the revolution in thinking that Adovasio and his fellow archaeologists have brought about, and the firestorm it has ignited. As he writes,...more
Published June 17th 2003 by Modern Library (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The First Americans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Americans

Scott Rhee
I am by no means an archaeologist, amateur or otherwise. My wife can attest that I cringe at the prospect of touching anything covered in dirt and grime (and yet I tend to be the one most often found pulling weeds out of our flower bed), so I can only imagine how squeamish and uncomfortable I'd be on an archaeological dig.

I do, however, "dig" the idea of archaeology and find it fascinating. (See what I did there? "Dig" it? Get it? See, what I did was a play on the word "dig", which is… oh, neve...more
tea_for_two
In 1974, archaeologist J.M. Adovasio found two hearths at the Meadowcroft Rockshelter excavation that dated to 13,000 B.C. The only problem was that until Adovasio found those dates, no one though there were humans in the New World, much less living at the edge of a glacier in Pennsylvania, thousands of miles away from the landbridge to Asia. Thus began an academic controversy about the origins of New World colonization that is still raging. The First Americans is an excellent book on what might...more
This book was really good. I found it at a museum and it really piqued my interest because I took a lot of classes in college that discussed this material, with differing conclusions. I have the most interest in linguistics, how languages spread and changed as people evolved and moved around the world (and still do), which this book touched on a little. The author is an archaeologist who is known for impeccable excavation techniques and also huge knowledge on the role of women in earlier societi...more
Paul Lunger
J.M. Adovasio & Jake Page's "The First Americans: In Pursuit of Archaeology's Greatest Mystery" is the story of the quest for the origins of the original inhabitants of the American continent. This well researched book covers everything from the early history of man through Clovis & the Meadowcroft rock shelter as well. Each chapter is written in a way that keeps we the reader invested in the research & the discussion of the dates & just how the early Americans populated the cont...more
Penny
When Dave and I went to Meadowcroft Rock Shelter on 6-3-2011, we purchased this book by the archaeologist/author who worked on this site. The radiocarbon dates for the human artifacts found at this site were about 13,000 years old which were 1,500 years before the earliest accepted date for people to be in the Americas! Later the author found remains from 16,000 years ago. So this is the story of the exciting and controversial research done there since 1973.
The site is awesome to visit too!
Amanda Spacaj-Gorham
If you have even a mild interest in archeology, you will be glad you read this book. It's an interesting and enjoyably read that sheds light not only on the first evidence of humans in South America (Thousands of years earlier than many in the field will acknowledge) but on the stubbornness of human nature in the face of overwhelming contrary evidence.
The thrilling rivalry between archaeologists is not hidden in this book, which elevates it above most scholarly works, in my mind.
Ruby
If you are in the least bit interested in North American archaeology, this is the book to start with. Written in a fantastic conversation style, but also packed with factual information. Adovasio has been working on the Meadowcroft site, highly controversial, for decades. Placing the first Americans in an area they were not believed to live in yet at 13,000 years ago, it is rife with controversy regarding his methods and ideas. A great read.
Grégoire
A pity the book was so badly translated to portuguese. Every page or so, you find yourself wondering what the original text really was. Very frustrating, considering the price of books in Brazil. If you have the opportunity to do so, find an English version. Nonetheless, the reading is very pleasant, and James Adovasio is meticulously convincing.
Liz DeCoster
The first sections of this book, which provided an interesting history of American archeology as well as an archaeological history of America, were by far the better portions. The later sections are clearly more personal for the author, and he often seems bitter and intent on airing grievances of a personal nature.
Charles Maranto
This book talks about the first people to come to America, which may have been 15 or 20,000 years ago. It also goes into some of the political fights in the Archaeology world among professors.

This book isn't for everyone, but I'd recommend it if you like this general area.
Rainey
I have had the fortunate opportunity to meet Dr. Adovasio during a seminar, and his insight is really driven and triumphant. His bold personality and his booming knowledge is really apparent in his writings, also. This was a very interesting read
James Loftus
This book started out so well. However, turned out to draw no final, definitive conclusion. However the authors contribution to the archeological record is immense - good on him! As a writer. Very good style. Obviously, brilliant.
Bridget
wonderful recount of excavations at Meadowcroft and the drama surrounding the peopling of the New World. Adovasio is savvy, sassy, and wise. I recommend it for archaeologists and non-archaeologists alike.
Abby
Hmmm...not something I would recommend for your spare time, but it is the best kind of textbook. Adovasio is very peppery and does not hesitate to voice his opinion...or to burn his colleagues.
Sue
Jan 27, 2009 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
Who knew archaeology could be riveting? Explodes the theory that Clovis cultures were the first to people the Americas and describes the accompanying academic intrigue.
Candace Pruett
this is a lot about Adovasio, his site, views, and ego. It had some useful info in it though.
Brad
Dr Adovasio tells it like it is.
John
anthropology
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Jorge Gómez
Jorge Gómez marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Michael O'Toole
Michael O'Toole marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Jake Moran
Jake Moran marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Serra Zander
Serra Zander marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Angelina Svetlova
Angelina Svetlova marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Archaeologist J. M. Adovasio has spent the last thirty years at the center of one of our most fiery scientific debates: Who were the first humans in the Americas, and how and when did they get there?

"James Adovasio has long been an authority on the first settlement of the Americas. His closely argued and often passionate account of one of archaeology's greatest mysteries helps define the new and e...more
More about J.M. Adovasio...
The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory Basketry Technology: A Guide to Identification & Analysis Baskets Excavations at Tepe Yahya, Iran, 1967-1975: The Early Periods Social Policy and Public Policy: Inequality and Justice