Start by marking “Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Short Stories

Short Stories

The science fiction stories of Michael K. Rose can most accurately be described as eclectic. He is best known for his science fiction adventure series Sullivan’s War, and in this collection you will find stories that adhere to the strongest expectations of the genre, such as “Sergeant Riley’s Account,” “Sleep” and “A Random Selection.”

But you will also find stories that, w
Published (first published June 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Stories

Benjamin Wretlind
Jun 05, 2012 Benjamin Wretlind rated it it was amazing
If there was an author new to the world of publishing that I would place next to Ray Bradbury, Edgar Allan Poe and Isaac Asimov, it would be Michael K. Rose. His collection Short Stories was not only entertaining, it was filling from both a philosophical as well as emotional viewpoint. It was at times dark, light and colorful. It was sound in element, true to form and at no time did I think to myself "That's it?"

Short Stories is not only thought-provoking, it is the purest form of literature, as
Daniel
Jul 02, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Every so often, a writer comes along that changes the way you see the world around you. For me, Michael K. Rose is that author, his writings while entertaining make me contemplate life, love, and the future.

"Short Stories" is a collection of stories that explore humanity and the unknown."Sergeant Riley's Account","Sleep",Inner Life","Mahler's Tenth," and "If I Profane With My Unworthiest Hand"; previous stories by Rose flesh out this collection with several other new tales.

It's hard to pick a fa
Craig McGray
Jun 26, 2012 Craig McGray rated it it was amazing
What a Great Mix of Stories. I struggled to find my favorite of these short stories as they were all great in their own way. I read them in a couple of sittings, and I enjoyed the switches that my mind made from one story to the next. I know many people review short story collections and say there is something for everyone, but that has not always held true for me.

Michael K. Rose has accomplished just that in his latest release. There truly is something for everyone in Short Stories. I had fun r
Louise Harnby
Apr 04, 2013 Louise Harnby rated it it was amazing
I published this review on Amazon, but I'll repeat it hear because Rose is worth his 5 stars. Sharp, clean, and perfectly executed, the final lines of each tale leave you itching for more. If you're a fan of the short story, this collection is a must. If you're not a fan, then try this out anyway. What's particularly special about these stories is that they take the reader on a journey that covers not just traditional science fiction but also the more speculative realm of the genre. Thoroughly ...more
Leigh Lane
Dec 02, 2013 Leigh Lane rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Rose's use of language; stylistically, his work is superb. At first, I'd thought SERGEANT RILEY'S ACCOUNT was a novel excerpt, but the novella turned out to be the best work in the collection. The rest of the stories were a pleasure to read, but most of their endings felt rushed and somewhat abrupt. It would be nice to see them extended a bit. Overall, I was impressed, and I do intend on adding some of his longer works to my reading queue. I received a copy of this collection as ...more
Amy
Jul 04, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book of short stories! The author did an amazing job putting it all together! The stories really grabbed at my attention and I couldn't tear myself away from reading! these stories will leave you wanting much much more and leave you wondering "what if" and could there really be more out there that is beyond our reach or knowledge? pick up this book today and get lost in this amazing collection of short stories!
Alexia Purdy
Jun 13, 2012 Alexia Purdy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci fi, speculative fiction, literary fiction readers.
Short Stories is filled with thought-provoking, emotionally-charged stories. From the science fiction of everyday life, to the inner life of a human being, to the mysterious expanses of space, these stories are vessels to carry you to places you never dreamed you could go. No other writer today can pull together such different stories and weave the words together with the skill to keep you thinking about them long after you have finished. Definitely not a collection you want to miss!
Teri Heyer
Aug 03, 2012 Teri Heyer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of Sci-Fi & Literary Fiction
Recommended to Teri by: The Author, Michael K. Rose
This is an awesome collection of short stories which range from sci-fi to literary fiction. This is not something you want to zip through. Instead, take your time to read and ponder each story. Every word and thought is perfect. I found myself saying, if only I could write like Michael K. Rose. But then, Michael is a unique writer, one of a kind. I feel fortunate to be able to read his wonderful, thoughtful, introspective, dynamic stories. All I can say is jump in and enjoy.
Daniel Zazitski
Daniel Zazitski rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2012
Abby Miller
Abby Miller rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2012
Gary Tenuta
Gary Tenuta rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Best Indie Books (BIB)
Best Indie Books (BIB) rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Stefano
Stefano rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Britt
Britt rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Candida F
Candida F rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Jack Boland
Jack Boland rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2013
Michael Rose
Jun 02, 2012 Michael Rose added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Matthew Rogers
Matthew Rogers marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2012
Daniel Zazitski
Daniel Zazitski marked it as to-read
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers marked it as to-read
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Joshua Siewert
Joshua Siewert marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2012
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2012
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2012
Thea Boyle
Thea Boyle marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2012
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2012
Melina
Melina marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2012
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2012
Sunny
Sunny marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2016
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2012
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2012
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2012
Geri
Geri marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2012
Shannan
Shannan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2012
David Berger
David Berger marked it as to-read
Lord David Prosser
Lord David Prosser marked it as to-read
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Stacy Robinson
Stacy Robinson marked it as to-read
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sussie
Sussie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2012
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
NumberLord
NumberLord marked it as to-read
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2012
Michael K. Rose is a part-time writer and a full-time idler.
More about Michael K. Rose...