Start by marking “The Captain and the Wallflower” as Want to Read:
The Captain and the Wallflower

The Captain and the Wallflower

Badly scarred captain Caine Morleigh must marry to inherit. Who better than the homeliest young woman left over at the end of the London season? After all, she will require little attention to keep her happy….

Lady Grace Renfair leaps at the only chance to escape her emotionally abusive uncle and accepts Caine's proposal. Soon she blooms with confidence and beauty, causing
Published July 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2012)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
A quick and enjoyable read that I pulled out of the pile because I am a sucker for the plain jane, marriage of convenience, and scarred hero themes. Captain Caine Morleigh is an heir to an earldom who was badly scarred in the Napoleonic Wars. His fiancee' repudiated him after the bandages came off. She even screamed and fainted. That was enough for Caine to know he wouldn't be marrying her. Now Caine needs to find a new bride. This time around, he will choose an unattractive bride, a wallflower ...more
Cecilia
Jul 15, 2012 Cecilia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this in the mood for a pleasant little Regency marriage of convenience story, but this turned out not to be quite what I had in mind. First of all, the characters don’t get married till near the end, so there wasn’t the kind of relationship-building I was looking for.

Secondly, the book was dominated by murder attempt after murder attempt, including guns, poison, and gunpowder explosions. It was preposterous.

Thirdly, the main characters didn’t work for me. The heroine was a plain-Jane
kris
Sep 11, 2014 kris rated it did not like it
1. This has to be one of the worst covers I've seen in a long time. Either her neck is broken or someone doesn't know how to use photoshop.

2. Caine needs a wife, so he picks out a wallflower: someone who he thinks is plain, malleable, and will leave him alone once he marries her. TOO BAD HE PICKS GRACE!! Secretly she's super hot and bold and completely competent at EVERYTHING and just THE BEST GIRL EVER!!! Everyone (except her Evil-pants Uncle) LOVES HER SO MUCH OMFG.

3. Secretly hot!! is not m
Katrina Passick Lumsden
There's an element of the ridiculous about this book that lends neither humor nor levity to the story. The beginning bits of the tale are told at a whirlwind pace, but then we get to the house and things slow way down. I wanted a marriage of convenience, but instead got two people who kept having to put off their wedding because someone was trying to kill them. The characters are fairly inconsistent, the plot limp, the devices forced, and the action came at the sake of the characters' ...more
Sabrina
Jul 04, 2012 Sabrina rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this lovely story! Grace was such an awesome heroine! So funny and sharp! She could look after herself and I love that Caine appreciated her for herself and her amazing qualities!
Definitely worth reading again and will recommend it to others.
Thought it was quite a sedate love story with only one brief, and somewhat vague (I like a bit more meat in my love scenes,ha ha!) sex scene, it was still really sweet and an enjoyable read!
Kaye
3.5 Stars

**Slight Spoiler**
This is the first marriage-of-convenience story I've ever read in which the h/hn don't actually get married until the end of the book.

There was so much potential in this story, aside from the MoC trope: a wounded, scarred war hero; an unattractive wallflower; an ultimatum to marry from the hero's uncle. It's a standard setup for what has the potential to be both a humorous and emotionally engaging story.

Unfortunately, this story didn't quite live up to that potential.

C
Susan
Very good book. I really liked both Caine and Grace. Caine needed to marry in order to inherit. Because of his recent injury and scarring he decided to pick a woman who might be less popular and therefore willing to settle for him. When Caine saw Grace in the ballroom he was immediately drawn to her and offered for her on the spot. Grace had been kept a virtual prisoner by her uncle and was worried about losing her life at his hands. She couldn't understand why Caine's ex-fiancee had been so ...more
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Dec 17, 2012 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
About a 2.5 for me.

I liked bits of this. On their own, and together in some parts (especially their first ride together) it was very sweet.

But, there were so many red herrings and shenanigans that kept getting more & more convoluted. Then there has to be relationship drama, of course, and people getting wounded right and left.

I started off liking it, but by the end I was more than a bit over it.
Joanne
Jun 17, 2012 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: h-historical
If you love Regency romances, I recommend this book!
Tonileg
Historical Regency romance with a scared damaged soldier with a supportive family who must marry and randomly chooses the perfect life-mate in a skinny pathetic wallflower. Captain Caine Morleigh picks the first desperate wallflower that he finds at his first ballroom with the aid of his best friend Trent (who I totally had a crash on through out the story!). But he is mistaken by just going by appearances because Lady Grace Renfair is thin, weak and beaten down by her horrible life but she ...more
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
Mar 27, 2014 Sabrina (Soter) Sally rated it really liked it
«La graziosità non va oltre la superficie, ma la bellezza risplende dall'anima. Voi risplendete, Grace. Volevo solo che lo sapeste.»

Una storia romantica e avventurosa che inizia apparentemente con una scelta casuale che segnerà la nascita di un grande amore ;) Il capitano Caine tornato dalla guerra si è ritrovato non solo sfregiato dalle cicatrici ma anche abbandonato dalla fidanzata e con un titolo che comporta lo sgradevole obbligo di sposarsi e generare un'erede. Amareggiato e disilluso decid
Miranda Davis
Sep 25, 2012 Miranda Davis rated it really liked it
Rather than summarize the plot which has a number of twists, I'll just say this: I couldn't find a lull in the story to put it down. Until 3 am. Curse you, Lyn Stone whoever you are.

I enjoyed the dialogue, there was crackling chemistry and the author doled out goodies about H/h and plot at a pace that made it very inconvenient for sleep. I particularly appreciated how Grace's full character was revealed over time and she was a scrappy ball buster, literally. Feisty gals are so much fun. The capt
Victoria Pond
Nov 29, 2012 Victoria Pond rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, regency
3.5 stars.

Captain Morleigh has been badly scarred in battle, and his fiancée screams when she first spies his new face. Lady Grace has been locked in her room and starved by her evil uncle. In order to inherit the money that goes with his dukedom, the captain must wed, but where will he find a lady willing to marry a monster and who won’t want to spend time in public? Lucky for him, Lady Grace’s uncle takes her out for one night, to prove to Society that he hasn’t killed her.

The scarred man and
Sally Monroe
Nov 18, 2014 Sally Monroe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dreadful - could not finish. Had such potential -- marriage of convenience between wallflower/plain Jane and scarred military hero with added spice of a suspense element thrown in. The heroine suddenly morphs into Superwoman, kick-fighting villians, practicing medicine including some medical research on the side, setting up a security force, sewing her wardrobe after her modiste is killed (don't ask), perfectly managing huge estate and staff with no prior experience and no learning curve, etc. ...more
Frances
Jan 28, 2016 Frances rated it it was ok
My kind of book. Pure regency trash!

When I read my previous review of this book I wonder where I could possibly have been to have given it four stars. Granted the first half of the book was 4 stars but since the second half of the book was only one star. The final half was taken up with an imaginary miscommunication between the main characters so it became repetitive and stupid. I am reducing my 4 stars to 2 stars because all I can remember is the bad ending rather than the exceptionally good be
Annabel
I gave this book 2.5 stars. It was a fun read but very predictable. No matter how much the author tried I knew from the beginning who the culprit was. That was a shame because otherwise the book is a really nice read. The characters are well written and not too perfect. And the feelings seemed to come naturally instead of forced.
A nice read if you're looking for something that's easy to read and which doesn't take up too much of your time.
Mary
I couldn't decide if this book was two or three stars. I decided on three because it was so sweet and I was looking for that. It was very simply written, and reminded me a little of a children's book with the way everything always wrapped up quickly, but all in all, it was a quick easy read. I recommended it if you are looking for a short, simple, and no real conflict between the hero and heroine (which I always like.)
Regina
Nov 13, 2012 Regina rated it liked it
Enjoyable romance with a subplot involving a dastardly uncle and multiple attempts at murder. Sometimes that was distracting but for the most part it made an entertaining tale. Caine and Grace were made for each other as their engagement of convenience turn into something much more. Passionate love scenes just shy of explicitness. Recommended at 3.5 stars.
Linda
Jul 08, 2013 Linda rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, regency
Lots of promise, but doesn't work in the end. The plot is good, the characters interesting but it just doesn't come together. The author compares this book to a fairytale but those stories are a lot shorter. The underlying plot is a Double Beast plot, both transformed from beasts to beauties.
Patricia
A sweet Regency read, but there was too much repetition in the book, conflict feeling a little forced when it came to resolving their feelings for each other, mainly because they both clearly felt for each other. But it was a light story and enjoyable.
Mimi
May 07, 2013 Mimi rated it it was ok
The writing is a bit labored. This book has a really interesting story line, but it's lacking something in the writing.
Hopefulpuffin
Jun 05, 2016 Hopefulpuffin rated it really liked it
This has a mirror image of the same couple on the cover as A Question of Impropriety by Michelle Styles - just a photoshopped different color dress!
groundmar
Apr 06, 2015 groundmar rated it it was ok
Shelves: regency
I loved the premise of the book. I enjoyed how it started, but then it started to drag and drag and drag. I wanted to like this book but I couldn’t. I only finished it because I bought it.
Angie
Apr 02, 2013 Angie rated it liked it
The romance was good but the mystery and villain were not very believable and took away from the story rather than adding to it.
Lisamarie
Nov 21, 2012 Lisamarie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
Fabulous story. I loved Grace - smart & self assured. I was a book that I started and could put down.
Mydearloverboy
Sep 22, 2012 Mydearloverboy rated it it was amazing
great read...a 4.5 stars one;)
it went at a good pace but I felt like there wasn't enough intrigue at times...but definitely a humorous novel;p
Kaori Miyazono
Kaori Miyazono rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Amber Peart Peart
Amber Peart Peart rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2013
Sabah
Sabah rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 01, 2015 05:36PM
  • Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #2)
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • The Unlacing of Miss Leigh
  • Lord St. Claire's Angel (Lords and Ladies, #1)
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • The Spinster's Secret (Midnight Quill, #2)
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)
  • Undone by His Touch
  • Hester Waring's Marriage
  • His Secondhand Wife (The Copper Creek Brides #2)
  • McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)
  • A Question of Impropriety
  • Tapestry
  • The Viscount and the Virgin (Regency Silk & Scandal, #5)
  • The Rake and the Wallflower
  • A Deal at the Altar (Marriage By Command #2)
Lyn's foray into book-length fiction began in the early '90s, and she signed her first contract with Harlequin Historicals on Valentine's Day, 1996. "Flowers, candy, kisses, and a book sale, too! There will never be another day quite like that one!" she says.

"I always loved to write and even got excited about doing reports and term papers. I neglected other homework just to make that short story f
More about Lyn Stone...