Start by marking “Falling to Heaven” as Want to Read:
Falling to Heaven

Falling to Heaven

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  8 reviews
FALLING TO HEAVEN is the story of two American Quakers who trek into Tibet in 1954.In this work of historical fiction,Emma and Gerald Kittredge leave their secure Quaker community and travel to the Tibetancity of Shigatse where they soon find companionship with their neighbors, Dorje and Rinchen, and their small family. But the arrival of Maoist soldiers into their quie
Published 2010 by Oneworld Publications

To ask other readers questions about Falling to Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling to Heaven

HOt off the press, this is Jeanne's first novel. I thought it was beautiful. A Quaker couple from New England becomes entwined with a Buddhist family in Tibet. The story is riviting and sweet at the same time. A wonderful character study. It would be great for a book club.
The first couple of pages of this book was excellent but it went rapidly downhill from there. I gave up after a while. Unfortunately, I just didn't like the writing. In many ways it seemed a bit juvenile and the phrases just didn't flow nicely. The prologue shows that this author has some promise.
A could have been true novel about a Quaker couple who go to live in Tibet after walking a month over the mountains on foot from Nepal. Just as they are settling in, the Maoist soldiers arrive and capture and imprison the husband. The story is told from three different viewpoints: the wife, the husband, their native Tibetan neighbor, Dorje. It is the story of how Tibet was taken over by Maoist China and the terrible things that happened. But also the story of the wonderful Tibetan people and of ...more
I liked that it takes you into the suffering of the people in Tibet under the Chinese control. Using an American character as one who is being tortured brings it closer to home for those who have a hard time relating to other cultures and how they have been exploited.
It felt like a real experience to me.
It also explains a lot of the religious habits and beliefs of the people.
Christoph Fischer
The story of a Quaker couple in Tibet before and after the Chinese invasion unfolds from three different perspectives, giving the reader a great insight into the struggles both locals and outsiders have to brave with their ideals of peaceful ways of living and a harsh imperialistic reality. Informative, emotional and philosophical.
For book club. I read the first 50 pages, started skipping the gory Gerald chapters, then started skimming the bits in between, then skipped to the end.

On that basis, I didn't think it was that well-written and I found the characters of Gerald and Emma thin and unconvincing, but maybe they were filled out in the chapters I didn't read!
Anita Lyons
This book was not good. I had to stop after about 50 pages b/c the writing just wasn't that good and the story didn't make any sense. Not recommended.
Gripping story, nicely told. The voices of the characters seemed spot on to me.
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Venelyn Chin
Venelyn Chin marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Danielle Rosini
Danielle Rosini marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Suzanne marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Katie Hirvi
Katie Hirvi is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2015
Allison Taylor
Allison Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Ani marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Melinda marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
A Spiral of Shame: Confronting Your Demons Spiral of Shame Of Poets and Angels...: And Seasons of Love Walking on Air Without Stumbling