Start by marking “Always Neverland” as Want to Read:
Always Neverland

Zoe Barton

Always Neverland

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
School has only been out for one whole day, and Ashley can already tell her vacation is going to bore her to tears. With her friends out of town and her parents working nonstop, she finds herself alone and with nothing to do--until one night she wakes up and discovers Peter Pan in her bedroom, wrestling with his shadow.

Since his original adventure with the Darlings, Peter
Library Binding, 308 pages
Published by Harper (first published October 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Always Neverland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always Neverland

Jeff Raymond
I'm really not sure if my overall coolness to this book was that:

a) we really don't need another re-do of Peter Pan, especially since the Dave Barry/Ridley Pearson ones were so good.

b) that this is just kind of okay.

It was completely passable, and would likely scratch the right itch for the right reader, I think, but very little of this story or much of anything about it really stuck out for me, which I suppose says everything that needs to be said.
Gabs
Let me make this clear before I get a bit 'passionate' about this story; this was not a bad book. At some parts I was really interested in the story. However, at other times, I was counting down the pages until I could get this over with.

First off, Ashley....was no Wendy. Or Molly Aster, for any Peter and The Starcatchers fans. Or Sarah for any Bridge to Never Land fans. She was more memorable than Jane, though. Do you see what I am trying to say? She was not as memorable as any of these 'Wendy
Ashley
Nov 20, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't decide between 2 or 3 stars. On the one hand it was a light fluffy read but I had no time to sit and read it so I couldn't appreciate it fully. At times it felt like a bunch of mini adventures in Neverland rather than one big plot which was ok but wasn't what I was looking for. The ending felt very cheesy & a bit of a sell out. Not bad but not stellar.
Gabrielle
Nov 21, 2015 Gabrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adrianne Rosal
Jul 15, 2013 Adrianne Rosal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the fact that the adventures of Peter Pan are still alive and strong. Move over Wendy Darling, there's a new girl in Neverland. Very good book!!!!
Stephanie
Light fun adventure with a modern, new (kick-ass, yet diplomatic) Wendy girl.
Jasmine Rose
Always Neverland was a fun addition to the Peter Pan tale. I especially loved that Barton didn’t try to change the tale of Pan, but rather, added to it. Ashley is a descendant of Wendy so the original story did happen but Always Neverland is an entirely new adventure.

I adored Ashley. She’s young, but she proves her worth among the Lost Boys and Peter. She refuses to be like the other Wendy Girls just watching the Lost Boys and being a Mother. Plus, she won’t take a simple no from anyone. Peter
Crystal
Feb 16, 2012 Crystal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
At first I was a little put off thinking, 'Oh, it is just a remake of Peter Pan,' and considered not finishing it. But I kept on going and found that really enjoyed the story telling. Ashley is a descendant of the original Wendy Girl and gets taken to Neverland by Peter to be the next mother for the lost boys. It is a perfect, clean and innocent book that I think a lot of girls in the 8-12 age would enjoy.

As much as I enjoyed the book, I'm still on the fence about the message being sent. Ashley
Eileen Everly
Oct 04, 2014 Eileen Everly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I love reading books I think my daughter may enjoy, and it doesn't hurt that by doing so, I explore their content and can tell if it's appropriate for her age... I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As a huge fan of all things Peter Pan, Neverland, Tink, Lost Boys and Wendy, this really appealed to me. And as a woman who was raised to believe she was strong, independent and self-reliant, this is a great story of a girl in a boy's world, who isn't content to let that be the status quo. A funny read wi ...more
Kelli
Nov 16, 2013 Kelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honey Asher
Apr 10, 2015 Honey Asher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS THE MOST WICKEDEST BOOKE EVER
I LOVED IT SO FREAKING MUCH
LIKE IT WAS .......POW AND THE KAPOW..
LIKE SO FREAKING AWESOME...
I ENJOYED THIS TO THE FULLEST!!!
BEST ADVENTURES I'VE EVER READ ABOUT AND LIKE WHOA...
I'M JUST SO HAPPY THAT I OWN THE BOOK!
Books Kids Like
Feb 28, 2015 Books Kids Like rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: barton-zoe
The Lost Boys meet the 21st century with surprising results.
Honeyasher
Oct 28, 2015 Honeyasher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MOST AMAZING BOOK EVER!
Amanda Thompson
(review to come)
Tasha
Jan 17, 2014 Tasha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was just meh. I didn't really care for Ashley at the beginning, she seemed quite selfish, but she got better by the end of the book. There really wasn't anything wrong with the book, I just didn't enjoy it that much.
Gabrielle
i loved how this book brought the idea of pretending into each chapter. i found the author's description of Neverland and Peter's personality also served a great deal in this, though i found there where aspects that that could have been worked on to make it a little more relatable. i felt i just couldn't connect with the main character and even though i am 15 it is a shame because i feel it shouldn't matter in a story. grate plot and idea though.
Kelsey
Jan 12, 2012 Kelsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
On the up side Peter Pan gets put in his place by a girl (and finally the issue of "lost girls" is discussed). On the down side Ashley is not the most likable charachter. I don't know why: when I think about her character, I thinkabout how she is independent, willing to run with the boys, and a thoroughly modern girl. She might have been too much of a Mary Sue.
Lula
Feb 27, 2016 Lula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very fun and exciting. The characters were wonderful, and the plot wasn't boring for a second. It's one of those books that you could read over and over again, and probably will. I would recommend this book to anyone 9+, if you like adventure, this is a very pleasant book to read.
Brooklyn
Aug 16, 2013 Brooklyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Can't put it down. A great addition to the Peter Pan legacy. Instead of changing things Barton does a great job of she just continues the story. A great read for younger readers or anyone interested in fairytales.
Kkop12
Dec 14, 2013 Kkop12 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I am basing this on my rating, not what I think Abby thought of it. I really wanted to give it a 2 as to me it was just ok. But it's about PETER PAN. How do you give Peter Pan a 2. So I gave it a 3 :-)
Josiphine
Oct 13, 2014 Josiphine marked it as will-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I've tried like four times and can't get past my dislike of the main character. I won't try again. I have better use of my precious bookshelf space.
Abi
This book was about an eleven year old girl named Ashley. It was very good. I really enjoyed Ashley's spirit and modernness. 5 stars.
Amal Behbehani
Oct 31, 2012 Amal Behbehani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3jeeb! loved it! made me want to write my own Peter Pan & Wendy story, or at least go to Neverland!
Madeline
Nov 03, 2014 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
This was a really cute and adventurous book.
The Lost Boys were adorable! (But don't tell them...)
F.C.
Apr 19, 2012 F.C. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I finished it. Once she got to Neverland, it was fun. Overall, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't amazing
Lindsay
Jul 16, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weston-s-books
Its a great book for kids! Some parts are funny, serious, and an occasional mix.
Megan
A very good book! I really enjoyed it.
Indigo Night
Indigo Night marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Benjamin Ngene/Kosi
Benjamin Ngene/Kosi rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
  • Tigerheart
  • Hook & Jill (Hook and Jill Saga, #1)
  • Escape from the Carnivale (Never Land Books, #1)
  • Of Enemies and Endings (The Ever Afters #4)
  • The Wild (The Secret Journeys of Jack London, #1)
  • Captain James Hook and the Curse of Peter Pan
  • Circus Galacticus
  • The Trap (The Magnificent 12, #2)
  • Finding Somewhere
  • SPHDZ (Spaceheadz, #2)
  • Another Pan (The Marlowe School, #2)
  • The Lost Girls
  • The Genie Scheme
  • Julep O'Toole: Confessions of a Middle Child
  • Darwen Arkwright and the Peregrine Pact (Darwen Arkwright, #1)
  • Nowhere Girl
  • The End of the World Club (Jaguar Stones, #2)
  • Hooked