Start by marking “How Far from Austerlitz? Napoleon 1805-1815” as Want to Read:
How Far from Austerlitz? Napoleon 1805-1815

How Far from Austerlitz? Napoleon 1805-1815

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Daily Telegraph Book of the Year
Published July 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published August 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about How Far from Austerlitz? Napoleon 1805-1815, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Far from Austerlitz? Napoleon 1805-1815

happy
Mr. Horne has given the reader an excellent introduction to Napoleon and his campaigns. While giving the reader a brief overview on how Napoleon got to 1805, the main storyline begins with a discussion of the strategic situation in 1805. Napoleon is in northwest France with his Army waiting for his Navy to secure the English Channel long enough to get his army across. Even before Trafalgar make his invasion impossible, he moves his army east where enemies are gathering. With remarkable speed he ...more
Matt
I read this book to help make sense of War and Peace. For awhile, I was reading it concurrently; then I realized that if I wanted to finish Tolstoy before my 80th birthday, I had to make that a full time committment.

How Far From Austerlitz is a loose historical overview of Napoleon from 1805 to 1815, though the author really stops caring after the battle of Austerlitz in 1805. So really, the full title of this book should be: How Far From Austerlitz?: Napoleon 1805 to I Don't Care.

This book wa
'Aussie Rick'

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this account of Napoleon and I still think that Alistair Horne is one of the best historical writers on French history around today. The book's narrative flowed along well and it was a pleasure to read, I really did not notice the mistakes mentioned and in total they are only minor. Take the time to sit down and read this book, its worth it.
Steven Peterson
This is an easy to read history of Napoleon's descent from the peak of his success, at the battle of Austerlitz, to his final defeat at Waterloo. The author notes a key lesson of such a study (page xxvi):

". . .it is the old repeated maxim of conquest leading only to further conquest; dictators and nations can win striking victories, but still lose wars--and the peace. Then follows the exhaustion, failure, or death of the dynamic leader, and everything collapses. Wellington understood. 'A conque
Michael
"How Far From Austerlitz?: 1805-1815" by title covers the Napoleanic Wars just from the Battle of Austerlitz through the Battle of Waterloo. This is somewhat misleading as the period prior to that is covered just not as in depth. I really liked the book and found it hard to put down. It contains a wealth of information on a myriad of Napolean related subjects. Of personal interest to me was the sacrifice made by Marie Walewski of Poland who prostituted herself to Napoleon to save her country, Po ...more
Sean Chick
The part on Austerlitz is an unoriginal, but well written recounting of the famous battle. The rest is a dull and shallow recounting of the Napoleonic Wars. The comparsions to Hitler are mostly trivial, and are of course now stock among British historians. If they really want to find a man like Napoleon, they would have to compare him to Cromwell, but that would be too close to home. In fact that is the trouble with British historians writing about Napoleon. They demonize and demean him, compare ...more
Alaric Longward
Thoroughly enjoyable book, Alistair's keen arguments on the peak of Napoleon's power being Austerlitz, gives new light to some of his later decisions and triumphs.
Dave
Excellent narrative, as is usual with Mr. Horne's books. The Price of Glory and To Lose A Battle are two of my all-time favorite military history books. I gave this 4 stars, though, because the maps, at least in the edition I read, just stink! They are not detailed enough, and they often leave out features/places that Mr. Horne mentions in his narrative. To make matters worse, they usually were stuck 20-30 pages removed from where they needed to be! Otherwise, excellent book!
Iain
An excellent book, both engaging to read, entertaining and educational as well. The sort of book that makes you seek other books by the same author, even if the topics how little or no interest to you now.

An outstanding overview of Napoleon's military and civilian career. At times it is scant on detail, notably during the Waterloo campaign, but given the span, the swept that the book covers, such can be forgiven.
Duzzlebrarian
So far, I have only read the introduction of this book - but already it has grabbed me!
Conor
Conor marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Oct 24, 2014
Shreya Suryawanshi
Shreya Suryawanshi marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Cambrone
Cambrone marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
John Gazzelli
John Gazzelli marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Aaron Meyer
Aaron Meyer marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alistair Horne is a preeminent historian, journalist and Oxford fellow who has written seventeen books, many of them on the military history of France.He has won the following awards: Hawthornden Prize, 1963, for The Price of Glory; Yorkshire Post Book of the Year Prize and Wolfson Literary Award, both 1978, both for A Savage War of Peace: Algeria 1954-1962; French Légion d'Honneur, 1993, for work ...more
More about Alistair Horne...
The Price of Glory: Verdun 1916 Seven Ages of Paris A Savage War of Peace: Algeria, 1954-1962 To Lose a Battle: France 1940 The Fall of Paris: The Siege and the Commune 1870-71