Start by marking “Mainline” as Want to Read:
Mainline

Mainline

Bystanders, beware: Reva the assassin always gets her man, and anyone caught in the crossfire won't live to tell about it. Reva has the unique ability to see different lines of causality spread out before her. When she chooses any one of them, the other possibilities fade into nothingness and the new reality becomes her Mainline.
Published August 15th 1997 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mainline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mainline

Anna
Dec 03, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, scifi
What attracted me to 'Mainline' was the protagonist Reva's special talent, which is the superpower I've always wanted most. It is the ability to see divergent timelines and choose the one she finds preferable. Surely the ultimate control freak superpower! In 'Mainline', Reva uses this ability to build a successful career as an interplanetary assassin. Personally, I think she could have had a safer life in strategy consulting, but that may not have been an option in this particular cyberpunk futu ...more
Nichole
Jan 14, 2013 Nichole rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Start to finish, every page was great. I remember, many years ago, when I was very young, I tried to read this book. I bought it, having at least had the sense to recognize the potential for greatness even then, and tried to read it but I think it was too much for me to process at the time.

However, reading it now, years later, I am thoroughly delighted. The writing is fluid and graceful and precise. The characters are super clear in their development. I have never r
Rin Watson
Dec 09, 2016 Rin Watson rated it did not like it
Shelves: un-finished
I couldn't finish it. It got way too convoluted way too fast and relied upon the reader to have an obscenely heavy suspension of disbelief when random and alien technology was brought out.
Carolyn Jeannette
Aug 03, 2014 Carolyn Jeannette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I discovered this book last summer when I borrowed it from a co-worker of mine. While I enjoy science fiction, I find it harder at times to read books that have a lot of aliens in them. It's just harder at times for my mind to grasp. Yet I had no trouble with falling into this book headfirst. Instead of being told everything about the world first off, a device that can often times come off as extremely heavy and boring, from the very first page the reader is thrown in the action. Information and ...more
Tim
Jul 17, 2009 Tim rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a great beach or airplane read. The story is clever and complex, with complications that seem like just too much, but each time, Christian pulls it off. It's not great literature, but if you just want to kick back and enjoy yourself, and you like science-fiction, this is well worth the time.
K. Axel
Oct 15, 2008 K. Axel rated it really liked it
I can highly recommend this book to fans of sci-fi; it has a dark protagonist who is searching for herself, and who have learned to use the powers of the world in a rather strange ways. She knows how to travels through the various versions of the world...
Raphael Clayette
Dec 14, 2012 Raphael Clayette rated it really liked it
Love the feminine (not feminist) character. Love her power. Great book. Waiting for following book.
Janin
Dec 12, 2011 Janin rated it really liked it
An assassin that walks between the lines of alternate realities, trying to connect with a world that can be lost at any moment (: I enjoy watching cold/distant people warm up.
Sara Emard
Sara Emard rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Amy Ovall
Amy Ovall rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2011
Christophe
Christophe rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Buttercup
Buttercup rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2011
Jean-Michel Smith
Jean-Michel Smith rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2011
Michellesnyder
Michellesnyder rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Bjørnar Tuftin
Bjørnar Tuftin rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Andy Yother
Andy Yother rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2015
P
P rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2010
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2008
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2008
rellekh
rellekh rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Audrey
Audrey rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2012
Thompson
Thompson rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Tanner
Tanner rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Eliza Verte
Eliza Verte rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
L
L rated it liked it
May 21, 2014
Marcella
Marcella rated it really liked it
May 08, 2011
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2008
Tina
Tina rated it did not like it
Jul 14, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2013
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Crashcourse
  • Bronwyn's Bane
  • Grayheart  (Wolfwalker, #4)
  • Windows Presentation Foundation Unleashed
  • Rebel Planet (Fighting Fantasy, #18)
  • The Legacy of Vashna (Lone Wolf, #16)
  • Gnosis: The Nature and History of Gnosticism
  • Einstein and Religion: Physics and Theology
  • The Da Vinci Hoax: Exposing the Errors in the Da Vinci Code
  • Temple of Terror (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #19)
  • Lord of the Libraries (The Rover, #3)
  • Kharé - Cityport of Traps (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery! #2)
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk Classics, #5)
  • Algorithms in C++, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structure, Sorting, Searching
Teramis (accent on first syllable) goes by her middle name. She formerly published as Deborah Christian, but has used all three of her names as byline since 2001.

Teramis is a US Army veteran, a former career systems consulting geek, and a sociologist, among many other things. In the last few years she has rearranged her life to make writing her full-time endeavor. For more biographical info, see
More about Deborah Teramis Christian...