Start by marking “Mainline” as Want to Read:
Mainline

Mainline

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Bystanders, beware: Reva the assassin always gets her man, and anyone caught in the crossfire won't live to tell about it. Reva has the unique ability to see different lines of causality spread out before her. When she chooses any one of them, the other possibilities fade into nothingness and the new reality becomes her Mainline.
Published August 15th 1997 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mainline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mainline

Carolyn Jeannette
I discovered this book last summer when I borrowed it from a co-worker of mine. While I enjoy science fiction, I find it harder at times to read books that have a lot of aliens in them. It's just harder at times for my mind to grasp. Yet I had no trouble with falling into this book headfirst. Instead of being told everything about the world first off, a device that can often times come off as extremely heavy and boring, from the very first page the reader is thrown in the action. Information and...more
Nichole
I absolutely loved this book. Start to finish, every page was great. I remember, many years ago, when I was very young, I tried to read this book. I bought it, having at least had the sense to recognize the potential for greatness even then, and tried to read it but I think it was too much for me to process at the time.

However, reading it now, years later, I am thoroughly delighted. The writing is fluid and graceful and precise. The characters are super clear in their development. I have never r...more
Anna
What attracted me to 'Mainline' was the protagonist Reva's special talent, which is the superpower I've always wanted most. It is the ability to see divergent timelines and choose the one she finds preferable. Surely the ultimate control freak superpower! In 'Mainline', Reva uses this ability to build a successful career as an interplanetary assassin. Personally, I think she could have had a safer life in strategy consulting, but that may not have been an option in this particular cyberpunk futu...more
Tim
This is a great beach or airplane read. The story is clever and complex, with complications that seem like just too much, but each time, Christian pulls it off. It's not great literature, but if you just want to kick back and enjoy yourself, and you like science-fiction, this is well worth the time.
K. Axel
I can highly recommend this book to fans of sci-fi; it has a dark protagonist who is searching for herself, and who have learned to use the powers of the world in a rather strange ways. She knows how to travels through the various versions of the world...
Janin
An assassin that walks between the lines of alternate realities, trying to connect with a world that can be lost at any moment (: I enjoy watching cold/distant people warm up.
Raphael Clayette
Love the feminine (not feminist) character. Love her power. Great book. Waiting for following book.
Kevin
Fast fun

read this authur again
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Vesra (When She Reads)
Vesra (When She Reads) marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Sh8899
Sh8899 marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Jeremy Megraw
Jeremy Megraw marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Vrouminet
Vrouminet marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Teramis (accent on first syllable) goes by her middle name. She formerly published as Deborah Christian, but has used all three of her names as byline since 2001.

Teramis is a US Army veteran, a former career systems consulting geek, and a sociologist, among many other things. In the last few years she has rearranged her life to make writing her full-time endeavor. For more biographical info, see...more
More about Deborah Teramis Christian...
The Truthsayer's Apprentice Kar Kalim World Building Tips Volume 1 Child's Play (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons/Greyhawk Module WG10) Minrothad Guilds