Start by marking “Holmes for the Holidays” as Want to Read:
Holmes for the Holidays

Holmes for the Holidays (Holmes for the Holidays #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  24 reviews
With stories by Anne Perry, Carolyn Wheat, Carole Nelson Douglas, Reginald Hill and many more, this delightful mystery collection captures the spirit of the brilliant detective of Baker Street. It's perfect for anyone who loves Sherlock Holmes -- or any mystery fan who's looking for the very best in short fiction.

Contents include:
The Watch Night Bell by Anne Perry
The Sleut...more
Published November 1st 1996 by Berkley Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Holmes for the Holidays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holmes for the Holidays

Paul M.
I'm not quite through with this book but I thought I'd take a moment to chronicle my thoughts. For the most part, I enjoyed these Holmes and Watson short stories. Most felt as if they might have been Christmastime cases the two might have embarked upon. However, despite the fact that these stories obviously are not of the canon, and while it is likely impossible to have non-canon stories never contradict each other, it does seem to me that contradictory stories should at the very least not be pr...more
Trin
Allow me to use an analogy here. Imagine that in 20 years or so people start publishing collections of Buffy the Vampire Slayer pastiches. (In this version of the future Joss Whedon is either incredibly generous or has very bad lawyers.) In each story, Buffy does some research with the Scoobies (all of whom are currently getting along great!), patrols a cemetery, and stakes a vampire...and that’s it. No character development, not even any character insight! In every. Single. Story.

That’s this c...more
Holly
Short story compilation of more recent Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson mysteries, written by several mystery writers. I've read parts of this book before, but this December I read the whole compilation. A very enjoyable read. My favorite was the story by John Stoessel, "The Yuletide Affair," in which Dr. Watson told Holmes of an adventure he had on his own once when Holmes was busy elsewhere, in which Watson was called in to St. Bartholomew's Hospital to help save the life of Inspector Lestrade,...more
Read1000books
This uneven mix of Sherlock Holmes short story mysteries, all set during the Christmas season, gets a 2 1/2 stars. Of course the usual suspects appear (Irene Adler, Professor Moriarty) along with tales which fall flat at the end ("The Adventure of the Angel's Trumpet", for instance) and at least one with somewhat disturbing (at least to me) content. There were several standouts among the group however, one of them being "The Yuletide Affair", a solo Watson adventure in which the good doctor save...more
James Rozoff
A pretty solid collection. None of the stories rank with the best of Sir Arthur's, but none of them are stinkers either. I'd give it 4 stars but I see I have some of the real McCoys at 4 stars.
Margaret
Jan 01, 2012 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2011
Very enjoyable - my favorite story in this group was The Adventure of the Christmas Tree by William L. DeAndrea because I felt the characters of Holmes & Dr. Watson were most true to form and the actual mystery was believable. I also liked The Thief of Twelfth Night by Carole Nelson Douglas because of the Irene Adler connection and The Christmas Client by Edward D. Hoch because of the Moriarity connection. I thought they all had their good points and it was interesting to see how each author...more
Beth
I think more Sherlock is always wonderful, so I was delighted to find this book. And the stories are written by outstanding mystery writers, a plus.

The stories vary in quality, of course. None are terrible, but some are very much better than others. A few sound so authentic that I could believe they came from Watson's famous dispatch box.

My one complaint is that there are several working off Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I got tired of that. Oh well.

A lot of fun.
Keith
I've read this collection several times, as part of my traditional holiday reading binge. I've always been a sucker for Christmas stories, and I picked this up on a bargain table many years ago. I love the tone of the stories and the way they capture the essence of Victorian England at Christmas. Of course none of them measure up to Conan Doyle's The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, but some come quite close. An excellent choice for a snowy December evening or two.
Susan
More than a dozen authors write pastiches of the Sherlock Holmes stories, with the proviso that all are set during the Christmas holidays. Two, at least, involve the works of Charles Dickens; one presents the unexpected figure of Lewis Carroll. Tastes vary, of course, but if you like Holmes, you'll enjoy at least some of these delightful tales.
Mary Barleycorn
I read this a long time ago more than once now. I kept the book so I liked it very much!
astrangerhere
A delightful bit of Christmas reading! As is usually the case, the story featuring a cameo by the stunning Irene Adler was my favorite of the lot. Can't wait to start the next volume of the anthology.

"Do you follow my conclusions?" "Only with peril, Watson."
Sharon
I so enjoyed these stories. Only a few could have been better written, but still they were all very entertaining. It was a wonderful fantasy trip for me as an longtime fan of Sherlock Holmes. I highly recommend it.
Kel
An anthology of Sherlock stories set around Christmas. They were all good and seemed in keeping with the genre--some more than others. I especially enjoyed the ones that were based off of a "Christmas Carol."
Alphons Bakker
Nice stories, some really missed the "Artur Conan Doyle"spirit, but were pleasant to read.
Heather R
I can never get enough Sherlock Holmes, and it makes me so happy that there are so many pastiche books out there. This one gets me in the Christmas spirit.
Collection of short stories written by noted mystery writers with Sherlock Holmes as the main character. Fun read for the holidays.
Douglas Dougan
Good niche themed stories - some writers better than others at capturing the original genius of Conan Doyle
Kathy
Fun quick stories...all with that unexpected twist that makes them uniquely Sherlock Holmes stories.
Cindy
This was fun!! Some of my favorite writers writing about my favorite character. Awesome!
Jessi
Great adaptations by modern authors each telling a story of Sherlock Holmes at Christmas.
Becca
Some stellar short stories but also some clunkers.
Ginny
Enjoyed all the stories. A good holiday read.
Pam
ivillage mystery -- holiday read
A
A marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Tahar Haddad
Tahar Haddad marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
C. Jeremy
C. Jeremy marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Dejo
Dejo marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Execution of Sherlock Holmes: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space
  • The Patient's Eyes: The Dark Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes (Murder Rooms)
  • The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, Volume I: The Short Stories
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon
  • The Return of Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #1)
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Plague of Dracula
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Holmes
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...
The Dean Koontz Companion Foundation's Friends Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes Sherlock Holmes in America The Further Adventures of Batman