The Elite (The Selection, #2)

The Elite (The Selection #2)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  84,027 ratings  ·  9,611 reviews
The Selection began with thirty-five girls. Now, with the group narrowed down to the Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever--and America is still struggling to decide where her own heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen, who she always thought was the one?

America is desperate...more
Paperback, International, 323 pages
Published April 23rd 2013 by HarperTeen (first published April 1st 2013)

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
13th out of 2,476 books — 12,485 voters
Through the Ever Night by Veronica RossiUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiScarlet by Marissa MeyerProdigy by Marie LuEverbound by Brodi Ashton
2013 YA/MG Sequels
6th out of 110 books — 821 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie
So, you see my rating, and you're probably like, ONE STAR? And my answer is yes, one star. I spent a good hour thinking about a reason, any reason to rate it two, but I can't. This was just one books of those books that was not my cup of tea. Which, by the way, is extremely disappointing, considering that I really did like the first book. *sigh*

I don't like to bash books and insult the author, but I will say why I did give it such a low rating, in a hopefully non-rude way.

*My Opinion. Just a r...more
Monica :)
Edit 11/25/12
So I think all of us have been focusing on America, Maxon and Aspen that we forget about everyone else.
Now, I've been thinking ...Maxon's parents. Her mom lost a child. Her sister told America that once they got down to The Elite that she would start getting closer to them. As for Maxon's father ..in every movie I've seen or show (ahem. Merlin)the King is always a jerk. Like a-hole material. Perhaps we shall see this in The Elite?
(Thanks to Jie Yu for remembering about Queen Amberly...more
Mitch
For what it's worth, I actually liked The Selection. Sure, it suffered from a major bout of shoddy world building and desperately needed a plot beyond just the game show slash dating elements, but if I had to blurb it, I'd go with something like this: "Frivolous and silly, The Selection is nonetheless an enjoyable timekiller with its Bachelor-like elements and inability to take itself too seriously."

The Elite on the other hand... ugh how do I even begin to describe this mess? Let's see...

America...more
Stacia
The Selection by Kiera Cass

7-1-2012: 3:48 PM. Yay! It has a name! I'm so excited for this book!

8-7-2012: 4:19 PM. Why does this have likes?! Haha. I can't wait for the cover! I heard Cass has seen it!

Of course, I'd prefer to have a male on the cover. Not JUST a male, maybe a well-dressed Maxon (with his face concealed [I hate when publishers put non-concealed faces... It makes me feel like I have to picture the characters like on the covers]) with America in his arms.

Or maybe the Elite girls in pretty dresses....more
Jessie
Warning: Mild Spoilers Ahead. Do not read if you don't want to be spoiled. Please read at your own risk.

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

This is not a dystopian, This is a book centered on a love triangle.

Believe it or not, I did like The Selection, but this book, unfortunately, did not live up to its predecessor. The reason why I enjoyed The Selection so much was because of the similarities to the TV show The Bachelor(which I watch, occasionally). I personally think adapting the competition into a book...more
Roxanne (Story Envy)
OMFG IT FINALLY HAS A COVER!!!!

First off I must say that that is a stunning dress! Hmm which dress would you say is better?

Oh gosh, I can't choose! There both so pretty! Although I do like the red colour more.

Now on to the real thing I want to talk about. I'm so freaking excited for this book! I really loved the first one, in fact I loved it so much that I read it while I was at an amusement park. In fact I was so sucked in that I started reading it in the line-ups and I kept wanting to read it...more
Sophie
This is what the first book did:

Photobucket

I don't know how Cass is going to stretch this into a trilogy. I honestly don't. Unless this has another beautiful cover I can't resist, I'm going to avoid this book like the plague.

Update 7/23
So... I finished this book. It was just as awful as the first, if not worse. It's worse in that it tries to develop a love triangle and makes a bad name for women everywhere. America decides to love whichever guy is in the room and then forget him the moment he leaves it....more
Howdy YAL
Note: I kept the advisory review because the trolls loved it and I think anyone who is thinking of reading this book SHOULD read the warning first.

To see full review click here.

Disclaimer: Obviously, I do not own the Disney princesses. If I did I would be at Disney World right now living the dream instead of writing this during one of my very limited study breaks.

And now a word from the Disney Princesses...

We here at the Magic Kingdom full of princess want to make something clear to you, America...more
Pang
Reading this book felt like Gossip Girl on royal caste. lol!

The Elite has many things, drama, dark secrets, intense competition, betrayal, treason, and annoying girls issue..

Firstly, I started reading this book with fun. The Halloween party! and Maxon is so sweet as usual! *dream up* description

descriptiondescription

Later on... everything started to roll down the hill. description

Every. Main. Characters. change from the first one.

It’s so hard to decide who the boy I want America to end up with. I’m team Maxon since the first one but in t...more
dick gansey
That was.

I actually have no words.

The Elite is the second book in The Selection series. It follows America Singer as she is pushed into a life she knows nothing about and is forced to adapt.

What I love about this book is the fact that the attention is taken away from Aspen and is more focused on Maxon. We get to know more about him, and what his character is really like. I also liked how we got to see America's character develop, as she has spent quite a while in the palace.

The Selection was q...more
Amanda
24 Apr. '13
Bad news: I didn't like it
Good news: I finished it in one day to relieve me of my boredom at work
Better news: I liked it more than The Selection. Or maybe that's simply because I knew what to expect, so my hopes weren't high to begin with?

Still want that tiara.

I've full on ranted discussed about characterization in my review of the first book, and since the special cookie that is America still suffers from the same problems, I won't be going into characterization in this review. If a...more
Christine Riccio
I raced through this book because I love the concept and where the story seems to be heading, but OH MY GOODNESS America was so frustrating. I discuss the whole thing in depth in my booktalk here: http://youtu.be/m7UHt8a4G9g
Stephanie ♥Loves Adrian Ivashkov♥
This is going to be a tough review for me, be warned.
Last summer I read The Selection and I loved it. I thought the whole idea of a story like this was really original. I loved that it was like The Bachelor put into a dystopian book. I saw a lot of positive reviews about it so I figured it would be positive for me too. So I had to read The Elite also of course and I must say (obviously) I'm rather disappointed by it. Actually a whole lot disappointed.

I really wanted to like this book, more so t...more
Ivana
GRRR! 2013?!
*turns off caps lock*
omg, can't wait!
EDIT:
Wow, America. Did you seriously... woooow.
I waited almost a full year for this book and you just went ahead and acted like Bella. Stringing around these two boys when it's achingly obvious who you're going to pick. I feel like every book is a Twilight despite...more
Theresa ♫
AUGUST 16, 2013: THIS IS GONNA BE ONE RANTING REVIEW COMING RIGHT UP.
(My before-read review of this book is BELOW my after-read review, so scroll down to look there, if you'd like. ^-^)

AUGUST 19, 2013: SPOILERS. This book is full of freaking spoilers. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE. SPOILER. SPOILER. SPOILER HERE AND THERE AND EVERYWHERE. IN THE AIR. I DON'T CARE. I HAVE HAIR. I LIKE BEARS--I dunno, that could be a new song. :D

....But seriously, this review is full of spoilers.

I.
HATED.
THIS.
PIECE.
OF.
(*salg...more
Tabatha

A highly frustrating and yet wonderfully breathtaking read.

OFFICIAL REVIEW:
(Short but sweet probably utterly mindboggling.)

Our story began in The Selection when 35 girls moved to the palace hoping to someday marry Prince Maxon; however, by the beginning of The Elite, only 6 girls remain.

For our dear America, this means only five girls left to compete with.

Natalie, Elise, Celeste, Kriss and Marlee.

Only 5 other girls, and Maxon has already expressed his feelings for America. Should be a piece of...more
Katy
Despite the controversy over the author/publicist, I kinda liked the first book... This one, however, just pissed me off.

1. What happened to America? I miss the strong, determined, self-confident girl she used to be. She cries - a lot! I understand insecurities can make you second-guess yourself, but damnit, she was so freaking wishy-washy. I want Maxon. No, I want Aspen. I want to leave. No, I need to stay. I won't make a good queen. Actually, I could make a different. Oh wait, I just did somet...more
Kat
America is such a frustrating protagonist, but these books are so fast and addictive I CAN'T PUT THEM DOWN. Onto The One...
Brittana
Let me start off by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed "The Selection"--"The Elite" was on my 'midnight release' reading list. "The Selection" had fun characters, an interestingly laid out dystopian caste system and a burgeoning rebellion as a strong background to the very heavy love triangle.

In "The Elite" I was looking forward to seeing more of the rebellion, seeing the characters develop and make strong decisions and stick with them--deal with the consequences of those decisions. I expected mo...more
BridgetonMother
Well, it is too bad. I was looking forward to reading this book however I ended up disappointed with how silly America became and how judgmental. She acts without thinking and i spend most of the time wanting to hit my head on the wall.

Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

I can see why The Elite can be enjoyable. For people into angsty, romancey dominant dystopians. Heck, I don't even get why people believe that this is a dystopian at times. The development of Kiera Cass' world is so minimal it may as well not be there at all. Then dystopian lovers won't get mislead into some fail of a gag-worthy love story. Even things that seemed a little likable turned out to be fails as the romance is like a disease, it spreads everywhere...more
Ade
-_- I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU SO FUCKING MUCH. THERE IS NO WORD IN EXISTENCE THAT IS STRONG ENOUGH TO DESCRIBE MY HATE FOR YOU. I'll make a simple list letting you know all the things you need to know about this book:

1) America is a conceited skag
2) America has no idea what love actually is
3) America is rash and does stupid shit before she understands what's actually going on
4) Maxon is a douche
5) Maxon doesn't know what love is
6) Aspen is also a douche
7) Aspen doesn't know what love is
8) Aspen is...more
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
NO SPOILERS. PROMISE.

Guys, everyone who knows me knows I'm obsessed with The Selection. So when I got this ARC, I immediately started reading and could not stop. I was like,

And then once I was finished, I was like,

because now I have to wait for Book #3. GAH.

There is a lot of romance, sweet words, and beautiful moments in this book, and I know a lot of readers will be really excited for this. If you weren't Team Maxon or Aspen before, you might be surprised if your feelings change from one to t...more
Jaime Arkin
Ok... I've taken a few days to think and I discussed with the lovely Kassiah and have come to the conclusion that I'm torn on what to rate this book.

The problem I'm having here is that for whatever reason I can't look away. I hated the characters, and I hated the very slim and almost non-existent plot of this book... yet I read it in a day and I didn't want to put it down.

What the heck is a girl supposed to do with that?

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-2629-1360290253-6_zps16446776.gif

So in The Elite, we are still hanging out with Prince Maxon - America ha...more
Ruth
Kiera, I love you, but I hope you know how much pain this is causing me. I NEED the the Elite to come out faster! You can't just leave us hanging! I want Maxon! I know, I sound so pathetic, but I am not a patient person! (but honestly, I am going to have some major problems if America doesn't end up with Maxon. Aspen just needs to stick a straw in his juice box and suck it, he had his chance, and he failed miserably.)

Update 5/16/13
I finished the Elite and completely fell in love. Thank you Kiera...more
Nunu
Another year of waiting! I love the title its a perfect fit. I can't wait tell the story comes out! and I wish there would be spoilers.
Expectations:
- A love triangle( OF COURSE)
- Maxon wins America's heart
- Aspen would fight (physically or mentally) to win America
- Rebels from the north or south would kidnapped America
- Maxon would ask America to marry, but she will have cold feet

The book didn't have many conflicts, it just concentrated on one: America's personal life! so we don't have someth...more
Vanessa
Mar 29, 2013 Vanessa marked it as no-just-no
Cover reveal! And the dress isn't exactly very nice. It looks like designer wound up with loads of swatches of the dress fabric and had to think on the spot to make something.

But cover aside (since hey, that's not the most important part of the book), I didn't enjoy the first one very much, it spent far too much time dilly-dallying before building up to 'hey, something's going to happen if you stick around!'. The characterisation was poor, the world-building wasn't great. Count me uninterested.
Antoinette
I can't wait for this book to come out, Kiera don't let all those haters get you down. I loved this book and I didn't really see it as a reality show book but a story, and one worth reading, it didn't even make me think about tv just about a wonderful story about America Singer and Prince Maxon and Aspen. I can't wait for the second!

Miss Perfection (Rachel)
When the prince is coming of age, 35 lucky girls are chosen to compete for the prince's heart and become the princess of Illéa. Now only 6 girls remain. The competition is fiercer than ever. America isn't sure where her heart lies. She loves her time with Maxon but she can't wash away all the happy memories she's had with Aspen. Time is running out for America to decide. Love, hurt, betrayal. The Selection is almost over.

This book was fantastic. It was even better than The Selection. There is m...more
Lindsay Cummings
read in one sitting. TEAM MAXON BABY!!
Thoughts after "The Elite": Team Maxon or Team Aspen? 849 1278 Jul 28, 2014 04:00PM
America doesn't love anyone 7 66 Jul 28, 2014 03:46AM
Am I the only person upset about the Kriss situation? 32 376 Jul 25, 2014 02:29PM
Aspen? 20 95 Jul 24, 2014 03:02AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Elite by Kiera Cass - Restarting July 21st 2014 162 114 Jul 21, 2014 04:26PM
Small Town Nerdy ...: The Elite by: Kiera Cass 1 1 Jul 21, 2014 09:59AM
Addicted to YA: The Elite 57 548 Jul 12, 2014 09:51PM
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • The Essence (The Pledge, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Shutdown (Glitch, #3)
  • Phoenix (Black City, #2)
  • Middle Ground (Awaken, #2)
  • If I Should Die (Revenants, #3)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Resist (Breathe, #2)
  • Boundless (Unearthly, #3)
  • The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • Rise (Eve, #3)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #2)
  • Rogue (Exceptional, #2)
  • Of Triton (The Syrena Legacy, #2)
100 Things I Love:

Being married. Cake. The smell of Autumn. Motherhood. Books. Elephants. Back rubs. On demand movies. Actually going out to movies. Faith. Cinnamon rolls. My family. Butterflies. When my kitchen is clean. Crayons. Pink. Tote bags. Dancing. Organizing via color coordination. That my wedding dress was tea length, not floor. Baking. My house. Writing utensils. Paper. India. The sound...more
More about Kiera Cass...
The Selection (The Selection, #1) The One (The Selection, #3) The Prince (The Selection, #0.5) The Guard (The Selection, #2.5) The Selection Stories: The Prince & The Guard (The Selection, #0.5, #2.5)

6 trivia questions
6 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“It turns out I'm absolutely terrible at staying away from you. It's a very serious problem.” 453 likes
“Love is beautiful fear” 408 likes