Start by marking “Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #2)

Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale #2)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  16,066 Ratings  ·  942 Reviews
Mirror, Mirror, on the wall,
Who is the Fairest of them all?

In the sequel to UnEnchanted, Mina Grime discovers that all is not fair when it comes to the Fae and their tales, especially when they don’t all play by the rules. Barely surviving the Story’s first fairy tale quest, Mina still has hundreds to go before she can end the curse on her family. But a new player arises t
Published November 27th 2013 by Chanda Hahan (first published May 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fairest, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Marylee Giddings I think Skye is right. It just depends what your into.
Kiera Don't forget adults, too. I am 32 years old and LOVED this whole series.

Courtney
Aug 25, 2012 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-re-reads
One word? Exceptional. Just like the previous book in the series, UnEnchanted, this book was amazing. I only bought the first book because it was a free E-book but I just had to buy the second one when I finished because it was just that good. Although I'm guessing that's the point of giving you the first book free huh? Nonetheless I loved it. It shows not only a teenager's coming-of-age and challenges with love and friendship in the normal world but has amazing fairytale twists on it.

Awards!;
I
Haleema Hussain
Jun 08, 2015 Haleema Hussain rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites, ebooks
After finishing the first book I couldn't wait to start the next. This book kept me reading till the very end. Good read. I would recommend this book to my friends.
Trine
Oct 23, 2012 Trine rated it liked it
Though the story was captivating enough to make me read it in one sitting, I'm still a bit disappointed in this book. I got so tired of Mina being the self-obsessed clueless teenager with the patience of tea kettle. And in the end she suddenly got all wise and insightful, able to threaten her foe but I still didn't quite get what she meant and even if it gets explained in the next book - which probably will come one day - I'm afraid that it will be to late for me.
Norah Sumner
“Fine,then you can sleep in the cave if you promise me that nothing is going to eat us during the night.”
“I promise that if something comes to harm us during the night, I will eat it,instead.”

I really enjoyed reading this.I'm not sure how I feel about Mina constantly swooning over Brody.I mean,it's getting kind of creepy and annoying.I like Brody but,come on...Jared is Jared.Also,I don't really fancy Nan,she can be too enthusiastic for my taste sometimes.The story was really interesting and
Haley
Jul 10, 2012 Haley rated it it was amazing

Chanda Hahn has done it again! In her sequel to UnEnchanted, she created a world full of thrilling moments, heartbreaking loss, breathtaking glimpses at love and a perfect ending that will leave readers anxiously awaiting the release of book three in the An Unfortunate Fairy Tale series!

I can’t get over how much I enjoyed Fairest! As a fan of Chanda Hahn, I’m not surprised that I enjoyed the novel. I am, however, surprised that I liked it more than UnEnchanted.

If the ending of UnEnchated broke
Hilary
Aug 09, 2012 Hilary rated it it was amazing
I read the first one in this series 2 days ago, and found it enjoyable enough to purchase this book, the second in the series. I enjoyed the first book and rated it 4 stars. I LOVED this book and gave it a solid 5. I have to tell you that this is one of the MOST enjoyable one sitting reads I have read in a long time. The writer keeps things moving quickly without making the reader feel "pushed" through the story and without leaving the reader feeling like they've missed out on important pieces o ...more
Becky Ginther
While this sequel to Unenchanted was still good, there were a few flaws that stuck out for me. First of all, the editing and grammar mistakes in this one are even worse than the first one. It's disappointing. I know that when self-publishing it's more likely for stuff to fall through the cracks, but some of the misplaced commas and use of "too" instead of "to" is just distracting.

The other thing is that I'm getting a little impatient with the amount of information being revealed. I understand th
life's a fairy tale
Feb 01, 2013 life's a fairy tale rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Warning... Possible spoilers!

This was the second book to what thus far has been overall an amazing series....with one major flaw... There is no true happy ending for Mina! Ever!!!! I totally get that this is an unfortunate fairy tale, but stillllll!!! Seriously, if the story and ideas themselves weren't so good, I would be so fed up with how these past two books ended that I would hate them.

Like the first, this book deserves six stars for creativeness. The stories are gripping with just the ri
Paranormal_Madness
Feb 28, 2013 Paranormal_Madness rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-published
What I liked:
-Jared. Even though I still really hate the whole “trust-a-complete-stranger-because-I-say-so” thing, Jared definitely grew on me during this book. I actually like the idea of him and Mina being together, and I could tell Jared really cared about helping Mina. Oh, and I totally called it while reading the first book; he’s gonna be leading man number two.
-Fae. I liked the more in depth look at the good fae, like Ever and Jared, but I think we still need a bit more world building to r
Brittany
Jan 11, 2013 Brittany rated it liked it
Nisha A
CalypK
Jul 17, 2013 CalypK rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Amantes de los retellings
Recommended to CalypK by: Internet
Terminado de leer 24/07/2013

En líneas generales se encuentra casi al mismo nivel que UnEnchanted. Excepto porque en algún punto el ritmo se vuelve lento, a diferencia del anterior, en el que siempre estaba pasando algo.

Pero se ven bastante compensadas estas fallas con algunas importantes mejoras. Primero y principal; el lastre de Brody pasó a la historia (¡Hurra!) y segundo; ya no aparece hasta el pato que cruzó la calle dando su punto de vista. Ugh. Etapa superada por la autora, afortunadament
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
Jul 09, 2012 Kathy * Bookworm Nation rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, ft-snow-white
Hmm, I think I liked the first book a bit more, but I still enjoyed this one. I think the ending bumped it up a star for me though. It’s been about a month since the last book ended and Mina has completed a few more stories and has built up some confidence. While I like Mina, I got frustrated with her a bit in this one, but at the same time I liked that her “role” in the story wasn’t what she expected. The romance was pretty lacking in this one. I’m not sure who were supposed to be rooting for a ...more
Shreya
Feb 12, 2017 Shreya rated it really liked it
I just finished this , in one sitting, in one afternoon and OMG WHERE IS THE THIRD BOOK??!
Tiffany
Aug 25, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Fairytales, and princes, and Fae....OH MY!

#TeamJared
Elizabeth (Elzburg)
Sep 01, 2015 Elizabeth (Elzburg) rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, ya
”What do you know?” Naga intoned sadly. “Beauty really is dead.”

Yasss book two of the Unfortunate Fairy Tale series!!!! This one was always my favourite of the three I read when I first read these way back in the day. It was a huge improvement on the first one because it was edited a lot better (still lots of editing errors) and it has more JARED!!!!!!!!

I have always been 110% team Jared. Fricken love him. This book has a lot of cute Jared moments that I loved years ago, and that I still love
Gary
Jun 25, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Okay, I liked the first novel UnEnchanted but I love Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale Book 2). It was the final few pages that did for me. It’s the gumption of the character Wilhelmina Grimm, in those few chapters she turn the entire series on its head.

Now she is an emboldened character that I believe could actually complete the two tails. She will do whatever it takes to complete them. In those few final chapters Chanda Hahn redefined her burgeoning series.

It’s a page turner from beginning t
Tera
Dec 31, 2012 Tera rated it liked it
I'm a bit disappointed in this sequel. First of all, it seemed like there were several discrepancies between the first and second book. In Unenchanted, they made it a point to tell us that while capable of manipulating the truth, the Fae cannot outright lie. In this book, Mina never stopped questioning the truth of differing Fae's statements. And then there were other small differences that annoyed me, as well, like book ones's all-you-can-eat-potstickers at Wongs' vs book two's all-you-can-eat- ...more
Caitlyn
Nov 25, 2014 Caitlyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-reads
I was stuck at my mom's work with no wifi so I finished this. The typos, discrepancies, and annoying characters did nothing to keep me interested, and I did try my best. I thoroughly enjoyed UnEnchanted and was incredibly eager to read this one but the writing took a total 180. Mina was no longer a strong, sure character but was instead replaced by a whiny, incredibly distrustful teenager. I enjoyed how she did become a bit stronger at the absolute last chapter. I think the entire plot, the shin ...more
Trisha
Mar 09, 2015 Trisha rated it liked it
This one started off to a rocky start and got better as it went along. Now, granted,I have not read book 1 - so that definitely made it hard to jump right in to. But the initial dialogue felt painful. Stilted and awkward, she kept saying she knew everyone but no one seemed to talk to each other like you would a friend or someone you know...

but after we took the fated drive to the park (view spoiler), the conversations got much easier, everyone seemed to final
✿Claire✿ (Tiny Owl)
This is another great book in the Unfortunate Fairy Tale. I didn't quite enjoy it as much as the first one but I'll definitely be reading the next in the series as it was a lot of fun.

I really enjoyed getting to know more about the characters and there were a few new ones that were thrown in that are getting interesting too. It was nice to see Jared and Mina's relationship develop and the twists in the relationships between Mina and both Nan and Brody were great too.

Definitely recommend it.
Hannah
Sep 15, 2016 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall this wasn't a bad book. I was a little bummed that it didn't focus on more fairy tales like they did in the first book. They really only covered a part late in the book. The one thing that really bugged me was that her best friends true love ended up being the guy that Mina really liked. Even though I'm pretty sure that the author is leading us up to Mina being with Jared I still think that it's crappy. I guess I'm just tried of crappy "best friends" acting like this and not caring. Hope ...more
Valerie Waters
Jul 09, 2012 Valerie Waters rated it it was amazing
What?!?!? I'm so glad I'm rereading these books. Soo good. I digit everything! The ending was awesome!

July 1,2012. I really liked this book. I loved the ending! Great twist!! I did think Mina was a little slow to catch on to what was going on in the middle of the book.
Melanie
Apr 07, 2015 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I haven't read the first book in this series, so the story did take me a while to get in to...but, once I was a couple chapters in, I started to really enjoy the story. It was a very interesting read! I will probably continue the series when I have the time.
Dystopia28
Jun 24, 2015 Dystopia28 rated it liked it
3.5 stars :)
 Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews
Yes 5 stars because I love retelling with a twist. Also it was extremely well written for a YA book as the authors first series. I plan on devouring this series over the weekend.
Shala
Mar 30, 2017 Shala rated it really liked it
Forgot to review this one! Didn't love this one as much as the first. Suffered a bit from Second Book Syndrome. Series is enjoyable though
Felicia
Sep 16, 2014 Felicia rated it it was amazing
4.5-5

Mirror Mirror on the wall.
Who is the fairest of them all?

I really liked this second book. I thought the storyline would be easy to figure out, but it definitely took an unexpected turn. I’m liking the series and expect things to pick up much more quickly in the next books.

RECAP
(view spoiler)
Virginia Seven Swans
Apr 25, 2013 Virginia Seven Swans rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
I am pleased with the author and the continuation of this story. While there were some discrepancies from the first story to the second (potstickers changed to dumplings and the more serious change of "fae can't lie" to "you are lying fae") the story did not contradict itself within this book. There were no obvious stumbles and it moved along smoothly. I was disappointed at the change in Mina. In the first book she embraces her destiny and even fights to have the opportunity to beat the curse. I ...more
Leslie
Dec 01, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Unenchanted; those who like short stories packed with action and drama
This sequel to "Unenchanted (An Unfortunate Fairytale)" has solidified this series as one of my favorites. I loved the first book with its great take on a storyline and lovable characters and the second book definitely doesn't disappoint. The series is about a teenage girl named Mina who finds out that she is part of the Grimm family - as in The Brother Grimm of the fairytales. As a Grimm she has to take up the family mantle passed onto generations of completing quests that reflects the fairytal ...more
Brody or Jared 85 235 Mar 08, 2016 01:18PM
A Million More Pages: Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale): Apr 8 21 20 May 12, 2015 04:51PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale #2) by Chanda Hahn - Starting April 10th, 2015 1 3 Apr 10, 2015 07:50AM
Nothing But Readi...: Hahn, Chanda - Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale #2) - Informal Buddy Read; Start: March 11, 2015 12 234 Mar 18, 2015 04:13PM
What if? 32 32 May 04, 2014 09:12PM
release date for the 3rd book 14 85 Jul 28, 2013 10:49PM
confused?!? 4 74 Apr 18, 2013 08:38PM
  • Revenant in Training (Blood and Snow, #2)
  • Temptation (Journal of the Wolves of Spruce Hollow, #1)
  • Beyond the Veil (The Grey Wolves, #5)
  • The Grimm Diaries Prequels 7- 10
  • Thorns of Decision (Dusk Gate Chronicles, #3)
  • Awake (A Fairytale Trilogy #1)
  • Punished (Arelia LaRue, #2)
  • Simmer (Midnight Fire, #2)
  • Created (Watched, #3)
  • Clockwise (Clockwise, #1)
  • Velocity (Gravity, #4)
  • Snow White and Rose Red: The Curse of the Huntsman
  • The Drifting (The Velesi Trilogy, #2)
  • Air (Akasha, #2)
  • The Vision (Fallen Star, #3)
  • Peta (The Elemental Series, #3.5)
  • Tormented (Evolution #2)
Chanda Hahn is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Reign An Unfortunate Fairy Tale. She was born in Seattle, WA, grew up in Nebraska and currently resides in Portland, Oregon with her husband and their twin children. She attended North Central University in Minneapolis Minnesota for Childrens Ministry. She was also a children's pastor, bookseller and children's librarian.

Books pu
More about Chanda Hahn...

An Unfortunate Fairy Tale (5 books)
  • UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Fable (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #3)
  • Reign (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #4)
  • Forever (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #5)

“Even a pawn can take down a queen.” 54 likes
“I'm sorry that you are hurting. It’s because of me that you are even here in the first place. I offered to get those passes so I could get to know you. There is something about you that feels so comforting and familiar, and I’m not sure why.” 29 likes