Start by marking “A Bear Named Trouble” as Want to Read:
A Bear Named Trouble

A Bear Named Trouble

Ten-year-old Jonathan practically lives at the Anchorage Zoo, where his father is a keeper. He loves animals, and even imagines himself inside their bodies, seeing what they see, feeling what they feel.

Published June 27th 2005 by Clarion Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Bear Named Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bear Named Trouble

Emily
3rd grade booktalk
Jonathan’s dad is a keeper at the Anchorage Zoo, which is both good and bad. Bad because it meant Jonathan had to move to Alaska with his dad, but wait until summer for his mom and little sister to move out and join them. It’s hard without his sister, Rhonda, even though they talk on the phone all the time. But Dad working at the Anchorage Zoo is good because Jonathan gets to spend a lot of time there – particularly with Mama Goose, a friendly large white goose who freely roam
Carol Royce Owen
May 16, 2014 Carol Royce Owen rated it really liked it
My 4th and 5th grade students have loved this book! Loosely based on a real bear presently residing in the Lake Superior Zoo in Duluth, Minnesota, Trouble started his life in the Anchorage, Alaska area. The story speculates that Trouble had probably been driven off by his mother, as he was about three and a half years old, the age at which many young bear are driven off by their mothers.

What is known as a fact about the bear is that he did break into the Alaskan Zoo multiple times, although the
Anissa
Feb 12, 2014 Anissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I read this to my 10yo son, and my 7yo son listened in to some of it too.

Per my 10yo: I picked it because the main character Jonathan is 10 years old, just like me. I thought it was interesting and left you with a twist. The book was told from both the point of view of the bear and the boy. They were having some of the same problems: they were away from their moms and they were both lonely. The bear and the boy had a special connection (telling more about this would give stuff away).

My 7yo liked
Christy

Meanwhile, a young brown bear is wandering through the woods near Anchorage, alone and hungry. One night, while searching for food, the bear crosses paths with Jonathan, who eagerly follows him onto the zoo grounds.

But when the bear accidentally kills Mama Goose, Jonathan’s favorite zoo creature,
Jackie
Jan 20, 2008 Jackie rated it liked it
Based on a true story, Jonathan and his father have moved to Anchorage where Jonathan's dad is the new zookeeper for the Anchorage Zoo. His mom and his sister, Rhonda will join them when school is out in Duluth (where they previouly lived). His mom is a school teacher there. Jonathan befriends a white goose named Mama, he is excited to show his sister when she arrives. But, a brown bear cub is stalking around Anchorage and gets into the zoo and kills Mama. Jonathan is heart-broken, but somehow ...more
Darlene
Jun 07, 2011 Darlene rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I read this book aloud to my daughters.

Overall, we enjoyed the book. My girls love anything and everything to do with animals, so I knew they would.

There were some strange parts of the book where Jonathan and his sister play a game where they try to imagine themselves inside the animals becoming what they see and feel. The parts of the book written where he is "inside" the animals is just weird, though. I am all for creativity and imagination, and that is not what I have a problem with; it is ju
Kelsey
Mar 31, 2009 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
this book is about a boy thats dad ownes an artic zoo. there is bear that comes along and gets into trouble like digging a hole to get into a house, breaking into the zoo, and killing mother goose that is the boys favorite animal in that zoo. I felt bad for trouble because at one point in the book people were trying to kill trouble so he wouldn't get in any more trouble. But instead of killing him they put him in a zoo and every single day trouble would get all of the food he needed.
Mikayla
Apr 05, 2010 Mikayla rated it it was amazing
Ten year old Johnathan loves animals so much. He loves to go to the Alaska zoo here his dad works, but Johnanthan likes to watch animals in the wild too. He follows a wandering, brown bear cub, which he has nicknamed Trouble, until one day the bear breaks into the zoo and accidetly killed Mama Goose, Johnathan's favorite animal. Johnathen then sets out to get even with Trouble.
Kristin
Mar 20, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a book club book with my 6th grade intervention group. It is a sweet story that would be good for a younger independent reader or struggling reader. I think most middle grade students would find the story too "babyish". Several aspects of Trouble's story are actually true which adds an interesting discussion element to this realistic fiction genre.
Dolly
Oct 03, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
Shelves: childrens, other-usa, zoo, 2013
This is an engaging tale that is based on a true story. I liked the combination of fact and fiction that weaves together a story about a family who struggles with being apart with an injured bear who misses his mama. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Culleen
Jul 13, 2015 Culleen rated it really liked it
What a wonderful story! I immediately fell in love with Trouble the bear. I felt bad that his mama sent him on his way and that he was injured. I like how Bauer wrote it from the bear's perspective and the child's perspective.
Bernardo
Sep 07, 2016 Bernardo rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, and I liked that they wrote how the bear and humans felt. The only minor thing is the cover. :) It completely makes you think of something else then what the story really is. I dont know, thats just my opinion
Priss
Mar 04, 2015 Priss rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
I just finished this book with a group of third graders. It totally kept them interested and also led to good discussions, about bears, kids and right or wrong. I highly recommend this for motivated 3rd grade readers and up.
Christina
Apr 05, 2008 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I read this over the summer before adding it to my classroom bookshelf. It was cute, but not my favorite. The students seem to prefer "Runt" to this one.
Robyn
Aug 25, 2009 Robyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile
A Bear Named Trouble is based on true facts about a bear in Anchorage Alaska that kept digging into the zoo. It was interesting, but was wrapped up too quickly.
Misty
Jul 14, 2016 Misty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Read this to my boys. I picked it up because it was written by the same author as Runt. Although the boys seemed to like it alright, I didn't find it entertaining at all
Wendy
Mar 11, 2016 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Read-aloud for my third graders. They loved it. Excellent for teaching point of view, perspective and character traits.
Audrey
Feb 18, 2008 Audrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I love Marion Dane Bauer. This is a very sweet book about a bear and a boy. The text is very interesting...when the bear is talking the text is italized.
Julie
Sep 14, 2008 Julie rated it it was ok
A nomination for Maud Hart Lovelace children award 2008. Okay. About a boy and a bear. Wanted more, but good true story.
Annabelle
Jun 26, 2008 Annabelle rated it liked it
The fact that it's about a bear is just weird. And how it has a Mother Goose makes it funny!!! hahaha!
Beth Leys
Beth Leys rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Kinsey
Kinsey rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2008
Ava
Ava rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2008
Barb W
Barb W rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2016
Martha B.
Martha B. rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2009
Anjana
Anjana rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2013
Danielle Wood
Danielle Wood rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • J.T.
  • Just Gus: A Rescued Dog and the Woman He Loved
  • The American Story: 100 True Tales from American History
  • Katie and the Mustang #2 (Hoofbeats: Katie and the Mustang, #2)
  • Balto and the Great Race
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
  • Red Cap
  • All the Way Home
  • Three Among the Wolves: A Couple and Their Dog Live a Year with Wolves in the Wild
  • Last Summer with Maizon
  • Stay!: Keeper's Story
  • The Night Journey
  • Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)
  • The Boy Who Spoke Dog
  • Archer's Quest
  • Stealing South: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • Three Terrible Trins
  • Horrible Harry Cracks the Code
Marion Dane Bauer is the author of more than eighty books for young people, ranging from novelty and picture books through early readers, both fiction and nonfiction, books on writing, and middle-grade and young-adult novels. She has won numerous awards, including several Minnesota Book Awards, a Jane Addams Peace Association Award for RAIN OF FIRE, an American Library Association Newbery Honor ...more
More about Marion Dane Bauer...