Collected Poems of Thomas Hardy (Wordsworth Poetry) (Wordsworth Poetry Library)

Collected Poems of Thomas Hardy (Wordsworth Poetry) (Wordsworth Poetry Library)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,512 ratings  ·  29 reviews
This Wordsworth Edition includes an exclusive Introduction, Bibliography and Glossary by Michael Irwin, Professor of English Literature University of Kent at Canterbury. Thomas Hardy started composing poetry in the heyday of Tennyson and Browning. He was still writing with unimpaired power sixty years later, when Eliot and Yeats were the leading names in the field. His ext...more
Published May 26th 1994 by Wordsworth Editions Ltd (first published May 1st 1978)

karen
Neutral Tones

We stood by a pond that winter day,
And the sun was white, as though chidden of God,
And a few leaves lay on the starving sod,
—They had fallen from an ash, and were gray.

Your eyes on me were as eyes that rove
Over tedious riddles solved years ago;
And some words played between us to and fro—
On which lost the more by our love.

The smile on your mouth was the deadest thing
Alive enough to have strength to die;
And a grin of bitterness swept thereby
Like an ominous bird a-wing…....more
Pete daPixie
I haven't read any poetry since reading Stephen Fry's 'The Ode Less Travelled'. Now that I have, I find that I am armed with pencil in hand making notes. (I must rub them out...it's a library book)
The wonderful Mr Fry has caused me to count each line of verse to reveal it's metre. HELP!
I used to just read the stuff. Now I'm dissecting the darn thing like a fully qualified anorak.
Long metre or short metre. Now I have to metricise each line and compare verses. I don't think there is a cure.
Anyway,...more
Christopher H.
I just completed the variorum edition of Thomas Hardy: The Complete Poems, edited by James Gibson (Palgrave, 2001). I actually read every single poem in this massive tome, and all I can say is that it is breathtakingly amazing. I have only read the complete poetic works of two other poets--Emily Dickinson and Christina Rossetti; and Thomas Hardy is certainly their equal, not only in output, but in quality, and Voice.

Hardy's poetry spans a period of time from the 1860s to his death in 1928. It is...more
Lauren
Hardy said that while novel-writing was really just for bread-and-butter money, poetry was his true love. And yet, I think Hardy was a better novelist than a poet. Certainly they've stood the test of time better.

He wrote best on the themes of time and mortality, often his own, but this collection includes twelve elegies for his dead wife, Emma. It's heartfelt stuff, made raw by Hardy's sense of guilt over her death.

The fascinating thing about Hardy was the scope of his life. Born in 1840 and not...more
Larry
Hardy the Novelist I have known as far back as I can recall but Hardy the Poet has only been known to me for about 6 years. I picked up (saved) a 1928 edition of collected poems out of a recycling bin which I now cherish and which is constantly at my elbow. The Complete Poems (paperback) I acquired in order to take it on the road, and for it to be well handled and take the abuse (not intended) which my cherished fragile hard-back 1928 edition may not tolerate. I now consider Hardy (like D.H. Law...more
Bruce
In his fifties, after he had written all the novels for which he is justly acclaimed, Hardy turned to his first love and the literary form for which he wanted to be remembered, poetry. His nearly 1000 poems are collected in this volume, and reading them is a feast. Hardy is traditional in preferring both rhyme and meter, but he is creative in the variety with which he uses them. Often he varies the meter in unusual ways within a poem but usually than maintains the variation through multiple vers...more
Emily
Someone reminded me about Thomas Hardy recently. Thanks to the haphazard way in which, as children, we come to discover the things that -- once sensational -- now twiddle their thumbs in the vast social basement known as "culture," I loved Hardy's poems before I even knew about his novels. He has one in particular, called "During Wind and Rain," that always appears in my head before a storm (i want the title to be a Lear/Twelfth Night reference, and so i have never tried to find out if it actual...more
Kay
This is a good selection of Hardy's poetry, although it omits "The Choirmaster's Burial". His poems about his wife are very sad - clearly they were deeply in love at first, but then things changed, but it rather annoys me that he never seems to consider that he might have been in any way responsible. Hardy isn't my favourite poet, but "The Darkiling Thrush", "Wessex Heights" and "Drummer Hodge" will definitely stay in my memory.
Charlotte
I loved Thomas Hardy's poetry. Reading this for class was an enjoyable experience.

My favorites included: Neutral Tones,Under the waterfall and The Darkling Thrush. I like the melancholic aspects to his narrative and the imagery that he uses. Color is also important in Hardy's poetry.

Hardy is by far one of my favorite poets and this has inspired me to go on and read his novels.
Ambar
Aug 03, 2007 Ambar rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: who want to enjoy living in england countrysite
Shelves: literature
I am living about less than 10 miles from Hardy's cottage. I made second visit and try to understand the life of Dorset's landscape. Under the Greenwood Tree and Far from Madding Crowd gave clear evidences that Hardy portray cottage's landscape into beautiful novel. The poem's book is also help me to understand many old english words -things that I am fascinated about.
Sam
Hardy, Hardy, Hardy... a brilliant novelist, but as a poet, he was uneven at best. He has moments of lyric brilliance in such poems as "The Darkling Thrush", but far too often, his poems have an air of the trivial. They are pretty - sometimes beautiful - rarely moving though, and even less often is there a hint of depth.

Worth reading for the best poems though.
Kat Morrison
I love the emotion in Hardy's poetry, you can feel his pain. He wrote mainly about his complicated marriage and I feel as if I lived through it with them. I have been reading his poetry for 20 years and it never gets dull. I couldn't name a favourite because it depends on my mood and what is happening in my life. My favourite poet without a doubt.
Richard Epstein
There's just so much of Hardy in The Complete Poems, and every single page of it sounds so Hardyesque. They are as sick that surfeit with too much as they that starve with nothing, says Shakespeare, so read sparingly. But read. In conclusion, let us quote Bruce Willis: "This is Hardy here. Go."
Wendy
My rating is particularly aimed at the poems of 1912, which I love. They were written after the death of us first wife, with whom latterly he had a fraught relationship. When she died unexpectedly, he mourned the love they had lost before. Lovely.
Daniel
Hardy was a poet above all else and with a corpus of work like this it is clear why he felt the urge to registered his passion after June. Check out the self in seeing and beyond the last lamp for two lesser known gems
Dustin
Poetry like art is subjective to the eye of the beholder. Even in the midst of difficult text the subtle human experience of trudging through the past can bring on melancholy of our own lives and recent past.
Jeff Holt
Hardy is one of my primary inspirations. While I haven't read every poem in this massive volume, my favorites, such as "Neutral Tones," are always expanding to include poems that are new to me.
Leni King
Strong influence on my own poetry - even though mine is a very different genre. "Old Furniture" is one that comes to mind - Hardy's images of all the hands pulling at the draws over generations....
Peter
Someone left this on the book exchange shelf at my work's employee lounge. I picked it up on something of a whim. I have enjoyed it since - reading it off & on at home...
Coral
My favourite collection of poems yet. Hardy's talent ripples through his work and "Under the Waterfall" and "Beeny Cliff" are two of my most favourite poems of all time.
Elementary Particle
I never thought I would like Hardy's poems so much. Now he has become one of my favorite poets.
Elisa
Suzq!
Did huge graduate paper on this guy - writes with a "woman's voice" prolific
Dotty Finlow
Not actually read them ALL. Yet. But I shall. Bucket list job.
Lynda
Sorry, a couple of poems I like, but not really my cup of tea.
Randy
My favorite poet and commentator of the modern age
I absolutely love hardy's poems
Agnes
One of the greatest poets
  • Poems of Christina Rossetti
  • Selected Poems
  • The Complete Poems
  • Complete Poems of D. H. Lawrence (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
  • Poems and Prose
  • The Works of John Donne (Poetry Library)
  • Selected Poems
  • Shelley's Poetry and Prose
  • The Collected Poems
  • Dover Beach and Other Poems
  • The Complete Poetry
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Complete English Poems (Herbert, George)
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Works of William Wordsworth (Wordsworth Collection)
Thomas Hardy, OM, was an English author of the naturalist movement, although in several poems he displays elements of the previous romantic and enlightenment periods of literature, such as his facination with the supernatural. He regarded himself primarily as a poet and composed novels mainly for financial gain. The bulk of his work, set mainly in the semi-fictional land of Wessex, delineates char...more
More about Thomas Hardy...
Tess of the d'Urbervilles Far from the Madding Crowd  Jude the Obscure The Mayor of Casterbridge The Return of the Native

“The smile on your mouth was the deadest thing alive enough to have strength to die. (from "Neutral Tones")” 10 likes