Start by marking “Fourth and Long” as Want to Read:
Fourth and Long

Fourth and Long (Time Is Eternity)

He's approaching forty, alone, and in a dead-end job. Eric Somers's life has been defined by a single unfortunate decision made decades ago, when he turned his back on shy outcast Jake Lockwood, afraid of his feelings for the boy and what they meant. The tragic consequences of Jake's isolation have haunted Eric ever since. Now, through a magical encounter with his old foot ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published May 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fourth and Long, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fourth and Long

☆ Todd
Dec 06, 2015 ☆ Todd rated it really liked it
This short time traveling 'do over' story was cute and approaching saccharine sweet, but pretty fun.

Eric gets to his 20 year high school reunion and finds himself transported back to being an 18 year old senior again, but this time he refuses to let 'the one that got away,' well... get away.

There's a bit of bullying and violence, a couple of kisses, and a lot of longing, but nothing really sexual in this story.

A fun, light read, ending with a promise of a 'probable' HEA, I suppose, so this one r
Ami
Jun 03, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
For the past twenty years, Eric has carried a guilt that makes him sabotage his own love life because he doesn't believe he deserves to be happy. Now, on the 20-year-old reunion, Eric has another chance to go back to that time, and that fateful Prom night, to get second chance in love and in life ...

------------------

You think I would be bored with the third book with the same theme that I read for the past two days ... but looks like I'm making the right choices (based on blurbs only!) this tim
Td
Jun 17, 2012 Td rated it it was amazing
Shelves: athletes-sports
Heart-What About Love

Yeah, this book took me back. My ears almost bleeding I'm blasting Heart so loud! I read most of this book while clutching a tissue in my fist, with my fist on my heart, with tears threatening to spill at every click of the page, a goofy smile on my face and all nostalgically happy.

"All this time I thought guilt had brought me back here, but I was wrong; it was love."

Sigh...Loved it!

Heart-Secret
Simsala
Jun 04, 2012 Simsala rated it really liked it
The age-old dream of getting a second chance.
Refusing to think it through I liked this one a lot. Sweet and romantic with a satisfying ending this was a feel-good read even for someone like me who usually doesn`t read/like highschool romances.
A big thanks to Ms. Scully for NOT writing a sex scene. This was much better without...
Vio
Well I'm glad this story popped up on my radar and what a lovely satisfying romance, sigh worthy and a definite feel good read. So happy that Jake and Eric got that second chance together, it was destiny and a bit of magical time-travel that changed their fate. Loved the references to "Heart" great band.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*

Eric gets a second chance, a chance not only to change the life he is leading now, but to change the one night that has haunted him and stifled his life for the last 20yrs.
Eric knows that changing things that happened the night of the prom will change all things..and the ending was great, not the 'traditional' way many would have handled it.
It's also a very sweet tale, just innocent kissing no sexing or jerk-off scenes, thank goodness! :)
My only niggle, I would have loved to have known how '
Susan
Jun 15, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
This was a short story about Eric, who has always regretting what happened during his senior prom in high school.

When he is at a high school reunion he gets hit on the head, only to wake up 20 years earlier, just in time for Prom Night..

I really liked the premise of this story. I LOVE time travel stories. Especially when one can make amends. But I was a bit disappointed in the execution of this one.

Yes, Eric goes back and does things differently, but there were so many unanswered questions abou
Deeze
As Do-over stories go this is one of the better ones.

I felt so much in this short story, from despair to hope, from sadness to happiness.

I loved how everything was handled from the way Eric found himself back in 91, to the way things didn't magically change to a HEA straight away.

If I had one complaint it would be the classic "its too short" lol. I really wanted to find out how Eric's life changed. But I'm gonna have to settle for using my own imagination lol.

Great little feel good read.
Serena Yates
Jun 04, 2012 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
Over the course of our lives, quite a few of us will have wished for a way to go back in time and fix some horrible mistake we made – and high school seems about as fertile a ground to look for errors we committed as any other time in our lives. Or maybe we’d just want to amend a situation, say or not say the one thing that caused irreparable damage either to ourselves or to others. This is the story of a man who lives under the weight of what he has done, regrets having ruined his life to the p ...more
Edina Rose
Jun 16, 2012 Edina Rose rated it really liked it
Really good time-travel story about a middle-aged man who goes to his 20 years school reunion and gets the opportunity to go back in time and change his actions towards the only guy he ever loved.

The two main characters are very likable.

C
Jun 23, 2012 C rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, fantasy
I don't know how to rate this. I enjoyed the story, what there was of it, and I thought it was well written, but it was incomplete to me. A short story should actually end and this one didn't. Too many unanswered questions for me to be content with it as is.

(view spoiler)
Jenn
Hmmm, there's nothing really new about this story. Prom King/football quarterback falls for his smart, smaller, bespectacled gay nerdy tutor. 20 years later after seperation and an accident the Prom King travels back in time to set things right.

So here's my thing. It's a beautifully told story, I adored Jake and Eric. Seriously, I loved them. I just felt a little like something is off. A lot was left unexplained & it ended just as it began so that prevented a 5 star. Still really enjoyed it
Arthur
Nov 14, 2013 Arthur rated it really liked it
I read this for the first time when it was released. Just reread, and had similar impressions: sweet, romantic book, although it's not all ponies and rainbows.

The treatment of time-machine issue is nice: it's just it, without offering any pretentious pseudo-scientific explanation that some other books in the series do.
Chris
Jun 04, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Sweet short timetravel romance about a guy whose life started going terribly wrong on the night of his high school prom. He doesn't expect that to change on the night of his 20th high school reunion.
Bev
Oct 17, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it
3.5 stars from me. A sweet do-over story, but not as good as Do-Over by Amy Lane IMHO.
Lucy
Jun 09, 2012 Lucy rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews

Second chances. So rare, really, to have an honest second chance. Eric is in therapy, trying to get over the guilt he carries from events that happened in high school. His last year of high school wasn’t a good one. He was trying to find his sexual identity and when he did, bigoted father kicks him out. He had a promising football career that ended badly, and he never went to college. There was also a boy during that time, a boy who was true to himself and paid
Morgana
Beautifully written and moving story of second chances. The plot was good and the characters extremely lovable.

The only thing I would change about the story is its length. I so wish it was much longer! I loved both Eric and Jake and would like to read more about them.

All in all, Fourth and Long was a very enjoyable read, one I would recommend to everyone looking for a good, slightly melancholy m/m romance with a HEA ending.

Heather C
Nov 13, 2013 Heather C rated it really liked it
I'm not a huge fan of second chances or reunions, but I really enjoyed this story. Eric has many regrets from his high school senior year, and when he attends his 20 year reunion, he is given the opportunity to change is destiny. Sweet story but I would really like to know what happens next...

Mary
Jun 02, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
This was so sweet. I love the idea of second time to do it right.
CrabbyPatty
Mar 13, 2016 CrabbyPatty rated it really liked it
Eric is given the chance to go back in time to 1991 and right a wrong that happened during prom his senior year. Really liked this short story. A nice end to my mini-Chris Scully marathon reading Inseparable and When Adam Kissed Me ..... and having read Happy earlier this month.
Heller
3.5 so close to 4.

Why not? I loved everything up to the end. I know it was a short, short story but...

(view spoiler)

Disappointment aside, this was a lovely little second chance story. Well worth the
Didi
I felt deep connection with Eric as fellow class of '91. \LOL/

But this was a beautiful story. Too bad we didn't know how his life turned out after the Giant Step he had taken that had shifted his universe a bit.

Made us mere human think what would we do, should the chance given to redo some of "if onlys" in our life. ;-)
Debbie
Jun 17, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
Great premise, but the story seemed a bit underdeveloped to me. The writing was solid and the author was able to get a surprising amount of story in 40 pages. Would definitely read more from this author in the future.

I LOVED Jake.
Dee Wy
Nov 20, 2012 Dee Wy rated it it was amazing
It may be a short story, but it felt like the perfect length. Eric gets a second chance to right a wrong with a high school friend. A very heartwarming story.
Sadonna
Jun 12, 2012 Sadonna rated it really liked it
Shelves: pdf, mm
3.5 stars. Very good short about second chances and not knowing how maybe changing the past will change the future. Plus it has Heart songs :)
Nik
Sweet but predictable.
Gabbi
I love reunion stories. There is something about becoming reunited with one’s past that is interesting to me. I enjoy even more when I’m able to witness someone have an opportunity to right was once wrong and have a second chance at love. The book, Forth and Long, gave me everything I love when it comes to reading romance and more.

Since the blurb does a really good job at describing the story, I won’t rehash it. But, I will explain why I enjoyed this story so much and truly hated to see it come
Fritz42
Just what I needed today. Eric,a man soon to be forty, finds himself back in the past with a chance to change his life for the better. He gets that second chance to rewrite the playbook of his life and save his first and only love, his high school friend and tutor, Jake.

This was so well done. Eric was a compelling character, who had never been able to find happiness and contentment in his adult life. He gets the chance to go back to the point in his life that changed everything. With the knowle
Betzacosta Fiction
Dec 30, 2015 Betzacosta Fiction rated it it was ok
Osea empezó tan adorable, y el final fue tan malo, no me gusto porque no tiene logica. Si él cambia l momento en que cambia todo, tiene que cambiar todo, porque él mismo aceptó que su lesión fue porque se sentía culpable, habría sido mejor si cuando se despertara fuera el día de la reunión de 20 años y haya estado casado con Jake. su vida no tenía porqué seguir siendo el fracaso que él sintió que era.
Sheila
Oct 07, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it
High school reunion with Eric thinking back to what happened to Jake on prom night. How he wishes he could do it over. When he stands in front of the trophy case at the reunion, the coach is there and gives him advice. Then he is unconscious. When he awakens he is back in the past. Can he change things? Good, sweet m/m romance. It takes courage to look back and look at your mistakes then try to fix them. I liked Fourth and Long.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Fourth and Long by Chris Scully 3 55 Jun 15, 2012 08:01PM
  • Violet's Present
  • Aquamarine
  • Do-over
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • The Once and Future Love
  • Stroke!
  • In Another Life (Heartwarming)
  • The Florentine Treasure
  • Different Strokes
  • Heaven Can't Wait
  • Hot Hands (College Fun and Gays #1)
  • Running Far Afield
  • Rise: A Gay Fairy Tale
  • Something to Believe In
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales #1)
  • By the Creek
  • Maps (Life According to Maps, #1)
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
CHRIS SCULLY lives in Toronto, Canada. She grew up spinning romantic stories in her head and always dreamed of one day being a writer even though life had other plans. Her characters have accompanied her through career turns as a librarian and an IT professional, until finally, to escape the tedium of a corporate day job, she took a chance and began putting her daydreams down on paper.

Tired of the
More about Chris Scully...

Time Is Eternity (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Temporal Driftwood
  • 1989
  • The Florentine Treasure
  • Worth The Wait (Waiting For You To Fall #4)
  • Violet's Present