Fourth and Long

Fourth and Long (Time Is Eternity)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  39 reviews
He's approaching forty, alone, and in a dead-end job. Eric Somers's life has been defined by a single unfortunate decision made decades ago, when he turned his back on shy outcast Jake Lockwood, afraid of his feelings for the boy and what they meant. The tragic consequences of Jake's isolation have haunted Eric ever since. Now, through a magical encounter with his old foot...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published May 31st 2012)

Td
Heart-What About Love

Yeah, this book took me back. My ears almost bleeding I'm blasting Heart so loud! I read most of this book while clutching a tissue in my fist, with my fist on my heart, with tears threatening to spill at every click of the page, a goofy smile on my face and all nostalgically happy.

"All this time I thought guilt had brought me back here, but I was wrong; it was love."

Sigh...Loved it!

Heart-Secret
Vio
Well I'm glad this story popped up on my radar and what a lovely satisfying romance, sigh worthy and a definite feel good read. So happy that Jake and Eric got that second chance together, it was destiny and a bit of magical time-travel that changed their fate. Loved the references to "Heart" great band.
Simsala
The age-old dream of getting a second chance.
Refusing to think it through I liked this one a lot. Sweet and romantic with a satisfying ending this was a feel-good read even for someone like me who usually doesn`t read/like highschool romances.
A big thanks to Ms. Scully for NOT writing a sex scene. This was much better without...
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*

Eric gets a second chance, a chance not only to change the life he is leading now, but to change the one night that has haunted him and stifled his life for the last 20yrs.
Eric knows that changing things that happened the night of the prom will change all things..and the ending was great, not the 'traditional' way many would have handled it.
It's also a very sweet tale, just innocent kissing no sexing or jerk-off scenes, thank goodness! :)
My only niggle, I would have loved to have known how '...more
Ami
For the past twenty years, Eric has carried a guilt that makes him sabotage his own love life because he doesn't believe he deserves to be happy. Now, on the 20-year-old reunion, Eric has another chance to go back to that time, and that fateful Prom night, to get second chance in love and in life ...

------------------

You think I would be bored with the third book with the same theme that I read for the past two days ... but looks like I'm making the right choices (based on blurbs only!) this tim...more
Deeze
As Do-over stories go this is one of the better ones.

I felt so much in this short story, from despair to hope, from sadness to happiness.

I loved how everything was handled from the way Eric found himself back in 91, to the way things didn't magically change to a HEA straight away.

If I had one complaint it would be the classic "its too short" lol. I really wanted to find out how Eric's life changed. But I'm gonna have to settle for using my own imagination lol.

Great little feel good read.
Edina Rose
Really good time-travel story about a middle-aged man who goes to his 20 years school reunion and gets the opportunity to go back in time and change his actions towards the only guy he ever loved.

The two main characters are very likable.

Serena Yates
Over the course of our lives, quite a few of us will have wished for a way to back in time and fix some horrible mistake we made – and high school seems about as fertile a ground to look for errors we committed as any other time in our lives. Or maybe we’d just want to amend a situation, say or not say the one thing that caused irreparable damage either to ourselves or to others. This is the story of a man who lives under the weight of what he has done, regrets having ruined his life to the poin...more
Jenn
Hmmm, there's nothing really new about this story. Prom King/football quarterback falls for his smart, smaller, bespectacled gay nerdy tutor. 20 years later after seperation and an accident the Prom King travels back in time to set things right.

So here's my thing. It's a beautifully told story, I adored Jake and Eric. Seriously, I loved them. I just felt a little like something is off. A lot was left unexplained & it ended just as it began so that prevented a 5 star. Still really enjoyed it...more
Akansha
This was such a sweet story about getting another chance at redemption and happiness in a warming-the-cockles-of-your-heart way especially because the fantasy of a do over to right the wrongs of one's past is something that I've always dreamed about.

It was satisfying to read that the formerly depressed and down on his luck narrator of the story,Eric got a second chance at romance and HEA with Jake,the boy whom he has fancied ever since high school.

All in all, it was very enjoyable.
Arthur
I read this for the first time when it was released. Just reread, and had similar impressions: sweet, romantic book, although it's not all ponies and rainbows.

The treatment of time-machine issue is nice: it's just it, without offering any pretentious pseudo-scientific explanation that some other books in the series do.
Chris
Sweet short timetravel romance about a guy whose life started going terribly wrong on the night of his high school prom. He doesn't expect that to change on the night of his 20th high school reunion.
Bev
3.5 stars from me. A sweet do-over story, but not as good as Do-Over by Amy Lane IMHO.
Lucy
Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews

Second chances. So rare, really, to have an honest second chance. Eric is in therapy, trying to get over the guilt he carries from events that happened in high school. His last year of high school wasn’t a good one. He was trying to find his sexual identity and when he did, bigoted father kicks him out. He had a promising football career that ended badly, and he never went to college. There was also a boy during that time, a boy who was true to himself and paid...more
Cris
I don't know how to rate this. I enjoyed the story, what there was of it, and I thought it was well written, but it was incomplete to me. A short story should actually end and this one didn't. Too many unanswered questions for me to be content with it as is.

(view spoiler)...more
Morgana
Beautifully written and moving story of second chances. The plot was good and the characters extremely lovable.

The only thing I would change about the story is its length. I so wish it was much longer! I loved both Eric and Jake and would like to read more about them.

All in all, Fourth and Long was a very enjoyable read, one I would recommend to everyone looking for a good, slightly melancholy m/m romance with a HEA ending.

Heather C
I'm not a huge fan of second chances or reunions, but I really enjoyed this story. Eric has many regrets from his high school senior year, and when he attends his 20 year reunion, he is given the opportunity to change is destiny. Sweet story but I would really like to know what happens next...

Mary
This was so sweet. I love the idea of second time to do it right.
Heller
3.5 so close to 4.

Why not? I loved everything up to the end. I know it was a short, short story but...

(view spoiler)

Disappointment aside, this was a lovely little second chance story. Well worth the...more
Debbie
Great premise, but the story seemed a bit underdeveloped to me. The writing was solid and the author was able to get a surprising amount of story in 40 pages. Would definitely read more from this author in the future.

I LOVED Jake.
Dee Wy
It may be a short story, but it felt like the perfect length. Eric gets a second chance to right a wrong with a high school friend. A very heartwarming story.
Sadonna
Jun 12, 2012 Sadonna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm, pdf
3.5 stars. Very good short about second chances and not knowing how maybe changing the past will change the future. Plus it has Heart songs :)
Fritz42
Just what I needed today. Eric,a man soon to be forty, finds himself back in the past with a chance to change his life for the better. He gets that second chance to rewrite the playbook of his life and save his first and only love, his high school friend and tutor, Jake.

This was so well done. Eric was a compelling character, who had never been able to find happiness and contentment in his adult life. He gets the chance to go back to the point in his life that changed everything. With the knowle...more
Gabbi
I love reunion stories. There is something about becoming reunited with one’s past that is interesting to me. I enjoy even more when I’m able to witness someone have an opportunity to right was once wrong and have a second chance at love. The book, Forth and Long, gave me everything I love when it comes to reading romance and more.

Since the blurb does a really good job at describing the story, I won’t rehash it. But, I will explain why I enjoyed this story so much and truly hated to see it come...more
Tracy
what a little gem this was....just proves you can't and shouldn't live a life of regret...he gets a second chance to rewrite history and ultimately chooses the right path...love this story idea...not all but some people feel the same way (i do) about high school and wishing they could have the chance to go back and change the past...this was great!
Ewelina
Klein aber fein... kurz aber fein? Eh, eine kurze, herzerwärmende Liebesgeschichte. Nichts was einen aus den Socken haut aber es ist gut geschrieben, sehr natürlich und fließend.
Sheila
High school reunion with Eric thinking back to what happened to Jake on prom night. How he wishes he could do it over. When he stands in front of the trophy case at the reunion, the coach is there and gives him advice. Then he is unconscious. When he awakens he is back in the past. Can he change things? Good, sweet m/m romance. It takes courage to look back and look at your mistakes then try to fix them. I liked Fourth and Long.
Seiran
I really enjoyed this book, at first I had reservations that I wouldn't enjoy it, I am glad I took a chance. If you like stories about second chances, and love, you will love this book for its sweetness. It is not a story full of sex, in fact there isn't any but don't let this stop you, give it a chance.
Meggie
The story starts with huge emotions of regret, sorrow and tiredness. The fate throws Eric a bone, one chance, to change his sorrowful past and make a path for his new begging. The end was warm and good. I loved it!
Dreamspinner Press: Fourth and Long by Chris Scully 3 55 Jun 15, 2012 08:01PM
  • Inspiration
  • Something to Believe In
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • Always MJ
  • Fight to Remember (Trueblood #5)
  • Foreshock
Chris Scully is a die-hard romantic, a lover of good books, hot men and eighties music. She discovered M/M romance far too many years ago and immediately became an avid reader. Now, trapped in a minuscule cubicle for eight hours a day, this IT professional loves to indulge in the [not so] occasional daydream—and finally gets the chance to commit some of them to paper.

Chris would love to hear from...more
More about Chris Scully...
Inseparable (Inseparable #1) When Adam Kissed Me (Inseparable #2) Rebound (Heartwarming) Rebound: Bonus Chapter Snow on the Roof