Start by marking “Obsidian (Lux, #1)” as Want to Read:
Obsidian (Lux, #1)

Obsidian (Lux #1)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  141,904 Ratings  ·  13,026 Reviews
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get a
ebook, 2nd Edition, 400 pages
Published May 8th 2012 by Entangled Publishing (first published November 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Obsidian, please sign up.

Marissa Garrison Every paranormal romance/fantasy book is going to have similarities to Twilight. You know why? Because Twilight is in that genre! I have read Twilight…moreEvery paranormal romance/fantasy book is going to have similarities to Twilight. You know why? Because Twilight is in that genre! I have read Twilight and while in the beginning there are similarities; this book is nothing like Twilight. For one it's actually a decent, well thought out story and the main character Katy is actually likable! She's not an annoying damsel in distress like Bella, she actually has a bark to her bite. She quickly became one of my favorite protagonists. The Lux series is wonderful, please do not compare it to the trash in Twilight. Jennifer Armentrout can actually write.(less)
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareDivergent by Veronica RothThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
YA Series I'm in love with
28th out of 176 books — 131 voters
Tagged by Joseph M. ChironCinder by Marissa MeyerDwellers of Ahwahnee by Sheryl SealMay Day by Thom  StarkWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   Rose
Why Aren't These a Movie Yet?!
46th out of 339 books — 238 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Armentrout
Sep 10, 2011 Jennifer Armentrout rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Since I wrote it, I kind of think it deserves 5 stars. =)
Sasha Alsberg
Oct 30, 2015 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Aliens, hot aliens? DAEMON BLACK???? YES PLEASE!
Loved this book, read it in 2012 but decided to come back and write a review for it. This is actually the book that made me start book blogging!
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

“I have a strange idea that I should test this out.”
“Test what?” My eyes dropped to his lips. I felt myself sway.
“I think you would like to know.” He moved closer, his hand sliding up my arm and resting carefully at the nape of my neck.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Well, now I know why this series is so popular :)
It took me one scene, meeting Daemon, to completely fall in love with him/the book. And it just got better and better! I literally couldn't stop reading and ended up finishing it in the same day I started.
Well tha
Emily May
Jul 16, 2015 Emily May rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not long ago, someone I know got into a really bad relationship. It was the kind of relationship where the guy was a pretty-faced douchebag who would tell her he loved her one minute and the next he would be making snide remarks about her weight and about her career, or standing her up when they were supposed to be going somewhere. But the worst part of this relationship wasn't him, it was my friend.

Everyone she knew, including me, warned her away from him, told her he was bad and that she dese
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
All my ratings have been pretty high lately, mostly because I choose very carefully what to read next. I value my time too much to purposely read books I know I won’t like. So what on earth possessed me to pick up this book after the Half-Blood debacle, I have no idea.

Most of my friends loved Obsidian and I respect that, I really do. I can even see why, the ingredients are all there: a gorgeous, mean guy and a plain, book-nerdish girl, a love-hate relationship between our protagonists, hero’s p
Zoë (readbyzoe)
Dec 30, 2015 Zoë (readbyzoe) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a quick, fun read! I haven't read an alien book before, and I found these aliens to be so interesting. Katy was a great main character and I LOVED that she had a book blog. It was a little repetitive at times and the constant bickering between Katy and Daemon, although funny and filled with sexual tension, was almost too much sometimes. However, I'm invested in this story now I will be picking up the next book sometime in the future!
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 3.5 (I think? Geez, I don't know! I just know I liked it a lot, okay?)

Wow. I did not expect to enjoyObsidian as much as I did. For some reason, I've just been avoiding it, but it was always there in my Twitter and GoodReads feeds. Daemon was frickin' invading my life. Finally, after seeing everyone change their avatars to the Lux series' covers, I felt I had to check it out. Almost all of my friends have given this book anywhere from 3-5 stars, but most averaging around 4. So natu
Etnik
5 WHOLE INSANE STARS!

One of the best books I have ever read and also the best series starter I know.

I have read this series and I must say it gets better and better.But believe me it starts GREAT.The story is interesting and keeps you thrilled the whole time.The characters are smoky cool.I could relate so much to this book (beside the alien thing).

Me while reading the book :

“You look like you got more of a bath than the car. I never
thought washing a car would be so hard, but after watching
Nicole
Don't mind me doing my happy dance...

******

This Valentines Day I fell in Love with Jennifer L. Armentrout. I had been hearing through the grapevine about JLA an one particular grape has been rather loud about her work. So with all the faith that Kay @ K-books knows what she is talking about I picked up Obsidian first chance I had to read one of "my choice" reads. And now I can officially jump on Ms. Armentrout's space ship and enthusiastically follow her anywhere...

I am not usually a big sci-f
Kat O'Keeffe
Jul 29, 2013 Kat O'Keeffe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet. Baby. Jesus.

Picked this book up at 1 AM and read it straight through until 6 AM. A funny, entertaining, and very addicting read. (I'm totally exhausted after staying up late to finish this, but I ain't even mad.)

I loved the take on aliens, and the characters are so feisty and fun! It's one of those "new girl moves to town and falls in with a group of non-humans lead by a gorgeous yet douchey guy" kind of stories, but Katy is a really refreshing main character. She's snarky and can stand u
Khanh (the Grinch)
I want to believe.

I really do. Just following the news these days is enough to make one lose faith in humanity. I really want to believe that there is something out there, god, gods, whatever. Aliens. ANYTHING. I want to feel like there are other creatures out there in this vast universe of ours, with greater knowledge, greater intelligence, and maybe one day they'll grace us with their presence and bestow on us their superior intellect.

I certainly hope those future aliens are more intelligent t
Debra

"If she was mine, I'd cherish every inch of her. And I wanted to. Now."

HOLY ALIEN HOTNESS.

After hearing nothing but positive things about this series, I thought it was about time I'd give it a try myself to find out what all the hype was about and WOW... I'm SO GLAD I finally started it!!! There was never a dull moment in this first part of the series and once I got into the story, I ended up devouring it! I'm pretty sure this will quickly become my new favorite YA series once I continue wit
Kat Stark

So this book has every peeve you can possibly think of: TSTL, Mary Sue, Instalove, Cliches...fucking Romance taking over the whole plot.

Daemon was irritating.

Katy was irritating.

The plot--which consisted of “fighting against attraction”--was irritating.

The nonsensical worldbuilding was irritating.

The dialogue was okay but also irritating.

The writing wasn’t too shabby, because JLA is a unicorn, but for the sake of this review...it could have been irritating.

That’s like a million “irritatings,” so
Kat Kennedy
Oct 07, 2012 Kat Kennedy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: Stephanie Sinclair
Whilst I was aware of this novel before Stephanie read and reviewed it, it didn’t strike me as something that I needed to read until that point. There are many unfavourable comparisons to Twilight floating around. This is not an invalid point.

-6 inhuman teenagers who pretend to be siblings – 1) the love interest (Edward/Daemon) 2) the delicate best friend of the protagonist (Alice/Dee) 3) The bitch sister who doesn’t approve (Rosalie/Ash) 4+5) Background dudes who we don’t see a lot of – one of
AriaStuckinWonderland

“So the dickhead had a name. Daemon—seemed fitting.”

What do you get when you combine a shy girl from Florida and a sexy, arrogant next door neighbor?

You get OBSIDIAN!

What do I think about this book?

[image error]

fangirl gif Pictures, Images and Photos

Okay! I think that shows just about how much I love this book! And how absolutely crazy I am of it but at first I didn’t really feel that way towards it.

INITIAL THOUGHTS

A lot of my goodreads friends recommended this book to me but I was like “Oh no! Aliens?”. Then I saw a lot of
Katerina
Alien.I fell in love with a freaking alien.Not one of those greeny three-eyed creatures but still he is extraterrestrial life.As if book boyfriends from this galaxy weren't enough.

Welcome to West Virginia,the land of lost models.

There was something off with this little Virginia town Katy was forced to move in.Strange things happened,people were supposed to light up like Christmas trees and there was gossip about Men in Black lurking in the streets.And things got even weirder when Katy spent
Reynje
First, a caveat: I did not enjoy this book. The following is my honest opinion, however I mean no disrespect to those of my friends who liked it.

Just to be clear, I approached Obsidian optimistically, looking for something fun and entertaining to read. Because hot alien spells fun, am I right? Particularly on the heels of a couple of quite emotionally taxing books.

Well, apparently I should have checked myself before I wrecked myself, and paid heed to those little warning bells in the synopsis:
Abbi Glines
Dec 06, 2011 Abbi Glines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh WOW! That's all I've got. Well that and you MUST read this.
Giselle
Oct 25, 2011 Giselle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, arc, paranormal
Ok, I have to gather my thoughts now, because this book has blown my mind! I absolutely loved it! This is my first book by Jennifer, but it definitely won't be my last. I will now stalk all of her work - beware! There is no wonder she has been getting rave reviews so far.

Obsidian gets us acquainted with Katy, who has just moved to a boring small town in West Virginia, and with not-so-boring Daemon who is the most arrogant human being she has ever met. And, lucky her (seriously! lucky her!), he l
Shreya
Apr 27, 2012 Shreya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW just WOW~! O_O bye! i need to go read it again!

description

Full review at chocolatecoatedreviews.blogspot.com
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»
Okay so I waited for this book forever! I finally got it and read it non stop! It was amazing. I loved everything about it. The story line, plot, the idea of aliens, the characters, the romance and all the hilarious conversations between Daemon and Katy! LOL ;)

It was kind of sad about the whole situation with Dawson (Daemon's brother). I can't wait to find out his story. I just wish he comes back with Bethany somehow. My fave part about the book was the first conversation Daemon and Katy have. I
shady boots
Long story short, hate Daemon, love Katy. That's pretty much it.
Juliana Zapata
Jul 29, 2015 Juliana Zapata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Maravilloso, espléndido, increíble. Me encantó este libro, ame las historia y los personajes. Tiene un ritmo perfecto, la fluidez de las escenas es maravillosa. Estoy completamente enamorada de Damon y del concepto de Lux. Espero leer muy pronto el siguiente libro.

Totalmente recomendado

Reseña Completa: http://bastvilard.blogspot.com/2015/0...
Christine Riccio
I had so much fun reading this, i just posted my full review/booktalk: http://youtu.be/K_gXWm8LhIU =)
Annie Brewer
So after reading Obsidian, Jennifer was nice enough to write an extra with Daemon's point of view of a couple of awesome chapters that was at the end in my nook. I gotta say, this was more exciting than reading Obsidian. I have always been in favor of stories being in the guys' POV, I feel we get more out of it than in the girl's perspective. Oh. My. God. This was incredible. I understood him so much better as to why he is such a douche bag half the time. I loved being inside his head and seeing ...more
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy read with the BBB gang starting ending March 16, 2015.

Yes people I have done it. This is me DNFing a book at 3%. And you know what? I don't care. This book packs so many clichés in only 5 pages that it should be outlawed.

Perfect Daddy who died too young. Obviously.
Gorgeous Mommy with "glorious hair and sparkling eyes" (she even looks good in head to toe polka dots so drop dead gorgeous she must be).
Gorgeous Mommy deals with Perfect Daddy's death by working non-stop. And by relocating t
Kristin (KC)
*Reread with the Button! ;)*

I loved this book! I was completely captivated from its angsty start to its sexy finish. Thankfully, book two is available because that cliffhanger would have been brutal...

For a moment, all I could do was stare at him. He was probably the hottest guy I'd ever seen in real life, and he was a total douche. Go figure.

When Katy moves to her new home, her gorgeous and mysterious neighbor, Daemon, is anything but welcoming. In fact, he appears to despise her for simply b
oliviasbooks
Jan 22, 2016 oliviasbooks rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls crazy about bad boys and supernatural jerks. Fans of "Evermore" and "Hush Hush"
Recommended to oliviasbooks by: ~Tina~
2.5 stars altogether. *** There will be spoilers. But then I have surely been the last girl on the planet to read this book. So what? ***
”His gaze lingered on my face, and warmth blossomed in my belly. ‘Maybe I’m just curious why she is so enamoured. Dee doesn’t take well to strangers. None of us do.’”
This quote is extracted from one of the 'friendlier' scenes in Jennifer L. Armentrout’s young adult paranormal series starter Obsidian, which openly celebrates the hotness factor of supernatural je
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Good Cop, Bad Cop revision - March 2012

1. I only consider spoilers to be major plot reveals - some examples would be : a character death, who a girl chooses in a love triangle, or how a book ends. Random plot points do not count as spoilers to me, so please expect some in the review ahead.
2. Normally, I do not go into reviews looking to compare one book to another. The reason I was a bit more anal about comparisons for this book is because I have been burned before by another of this author's bo
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
Some of you may know that I added this to my to-read list. I made good of my word and read it right away. BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE! I loved this book. Was it the cool bad boy? The kind and brave Katy? Maybe the bubbly best friend Dee? All of the above. The book starts out with Katy being upset about moving to a small West Virginia town filled with gossip, suspicions, and fears. Katy's mother wants her to get to know people and in an effort greets the neighbors. Enter Daemon Black. Arrogant and a ...more
It's official... Movie...!!... Yea.... WTF???? 117 1541 Feb 04, 2016 11:08PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout - Restarting February 24th 2016 161 210 Feb 04, 2016 05:13PM
MOVIE! Actors? DAEMON BLACK 24 251 Jan 23, 2016 01:12AM
Books With Characters Like Daemon?!? 134 2212 Jan 19, 2016 10:28AM
Readers That Love...: Win the Lux Series OR a $25 amazon.com egift card 1 15 Jan 08, 2016 05:31PM
  • Awry (The Archers of Avalon, #2)
  • Defiance (Significance, #3)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)
  • Saving Grace (Mad World, #2)
  • Ceaseless (Existence Trilogy, #3)
  • Losing Lila (Lila, #2)
  • The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey, #3)
  • Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2)
  • Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)
  • Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters, #3)
  • Kindred (The Darkwoods Trilogy, #2)
  • Incendiary (The Premonition, #4)
  • The Collector (Dante Walker, #1)

To email me, please use the below addy.
jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Jennifer L. Armentrout Lives in West Virginia.

All the rumors you heard
More about Jennifer L. Armentrout...

Lux (5 books)
  • Onyx (Lux, #2)
  • Opal (Lux, #3)
  • Origin (Lux, #4)
  • Opposition (Lux, #5)

10 trivia questions
12 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.” 2954 likes
“Why are you such an ass?" The words came out before I could think twice.
"Everyone has to excel at something, right?"
"Well, you're doing a great job.”
1796 likes