Start by marking “Origins of Love” as Want to Read:
Origins of Love

Origins of Love

In Delhi a small baby lies alone and abandoned. The product of IVF and surrogacy, she had been so coveted - until she was born with a fatal illness. No one knows how the infection could have been transferred to the child, but one thing is certain: no one wants her now. Thousands of miles away in London, Kate and Ben are desperate for a baby. But, despite all their efforts, ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Simon and Schuster (first published May 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Origins of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Origins of Love

Ellie
Jun 06, 2012 Ellie rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Simran is a social worker in Delhi, reluctantly helping a hospital supplying surrogate mothers to foreigners. When Amelia is born HIV positive and left without parents, Simran is determined to find someone to take care of the vulnerable baby and get to the bottom of her illness. Was it a tragic mistake or is there something more sinister going on? Meanwhile, deliveries of embryos are being held up in customs at Mumbai airport where staff are getting other ideas about the trade of human life.

Orig
Tara
May 15, 2015 Tara rated it it was ok
Good premise, a good modern voice but oh my word this author suffers from expositionitis and a bad case of the info dump. The narrator is nothing but honest about being crusading to the point where it kneecaps the plot. I was very disappointed. This book was such a slog and it had such potential. So frustrating!
Gloria
Oct 30, 2016 Gloria rated it liked it
Oh dear, this was such a disappointment.
I was so impressed with this author after reading her debut novel 'Witness The Night', I chose to read 'Origins of Love', leaving behind the list of books I have been waiting to read.
The beginning and end of the book is very good however the main body was very disappointing. Social Worker Simran Singh is asked by a friend to investigate the surrogacy industry in India. The characters in the story are weak, uninteresting and did not capture my interest or a
Celine
Nov 11, 2016 Celine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
quite a page turner, but many lose ends at the end. would've been better if there was more details about surrogacy
Lauren K
Jun 01, 2012 Lauren K rated it it was amazing
Shelves: india

Origins of Love is a beautifully constructed story that spans across India and London and follows various characters whose lives intertwine. It masterfully explores many controversial fertility issues such as IVF, surrogacy, sperm/ egg donation and adoption against a fictional (but could very easily be true!) backdrop.

Simran Singh is a social worker who provides support to the Madonna and Child clinic in Delhi, run by couple, Anita and Shrimshan who provide surrogates to couples with fe
Jo Barton
Jun 08, 2016 Jo Barton rated it really liked it
Shelves: 20-summer-reads
Against her better judgement, Simran Singh is a social worker who is involved in a clinic in Delhi which specialises in surrogacy, and the risky business of providing babies for those who have enough money to rent-a-womb. There is no doubt that for some unscrupulous providers this is a very lucrative trade and for those who operate the clinic it would seem that money is the prime objective, and yet, for Simran, the very human cost of this enterprise is seen in the small baby who lies abandoned ...more
Jane Messer
Apr 23, 2016 Jane Messer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For anyone interested in the rapidly expanding womb surrogacy industry in India and Europe, or contemporary life in India's Delhi, Origins of Love is a must-read. This is Kishwar Desai's second of three novels set in India and Britain with the cheerful, somewhat eccentric sleuth/social worker Ms Simran Singh as the protagonist. It's both a page turner but also quite a complexly structured novel with a sizable suite of characters including the English couple trying for a child, to a broad array ...more
Susan
Sep 09, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
So in terms of story, issues tackled and the level of complexity. This is a 5 star book. The ending is a bit too neat-- but not horribly so. I do like the ending. At no point does the author shy away from gritty, challenging situations. Her complex and thorough examination of a complex and multifaceted problem/problems is amazing.

I have a few stylistic complaints. The timeline of the book is fragmented and the authors cues are confusing at best. Chapter headings of three weeks ago, followed by 5
Pascale
May 13, 2014 Pascale rated it it was ok
This started as a real page-turner, but I found the pace slackened 2/3 of the way through, and the resolution was unsatisfactorily rosy and upbeat. The book takes place in the depressing context of the fertility clinics in India, and paints a grim picture of the new avenues opened to oppress and enslave women by the techniques of assisted reproduction. Like most Indian novelists I've read, Kishwar Desai is enraged by the widespread corruption practices in her country, and the fact that somehow ...more
Dipalie
Jul 02, 2012 Dipalie rated it really liked it
The title tasted like a romance to me for some reason, then when I stumbled upon the book in a book shop the cover begged to differ. The introduction and the description at the back of the cover was enticing enough and so I bought my copy of Origin's Of Love as an end of exams present to myself. Though I do not regret buying it, I would not call it a book that will keep you turning pages at all times. The triple narrative used is wonderful.
It did turn out to be a love story of sorts in the end
Shelley
Nov 26, 2014 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This the second in a three-part (thus far) series narrated by Simran Singh, a social worker in Delhi. This novel is the fictionalised account of the grief, corruption and greed which surround the surrogacy and medical tourism in India. It is well-paced and the very interesting subject matter made it quite difficult for me to put it down. Even though I don't usually look for 'thrillers', I'm quite looking forward to reading her third offering with Singh. Recommended.
LaDawn
Nov 24, 2014 LaDawn rated it it was ok
Regrettably this novel isn't what I had expected or hoped it would be. The topic of IVF and surrogacy is complex especially when countries like India are involved. I had hoped for a more gentle and thought provoking story rather than a light hearted beach read. It lacked the colour and smell and vibrancy of India as well as the desperation of the surrogates. This could have been so much better.
Helena
Kirjan aihe oli todella mielenkiintoinen ja tartuin kirjaan suurin odotuksin. Alun jälkeen lukeminen alkoi kuitenkin puuduttaa. Kerronta oli jotenkin hajanaista ja vaikeasti seurattavaa, menin henkilöistäkin useaan otteeseen sekaisin. Harmillista, sillä kirjassa olisi ollut aineksia hienompaankin lukukokemukseen.
MariaElina
May 20, 2014 MariaElina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Sijaissynnytykset aiheena on mielenkiintoinen, Desai käsitteli asiaa sekä sijaissynnyttäjän että biologisten vanhempien näkökulmasta ja pisti lukijansakin miettimään asian eettistä puolta.

Alku antoi odottaa parempaa, mutta puolivälin jälkeen kirja jotenkin hyytyi. Simran Singh salapoliisina oli kuitenkin sen verran symppis, että lainasin sarjan ensimmäisenkin osan kirjastosta tänään.
Kay
Sep 16, 2014 Kay rated it it was ok
I was willing this book to be better, however the international plot twists were predictable, the gender race and sexual orientation issues weak and the characterisation could have been developed much more, particularly the emotional ramifications.
Diane Mendoza
Apr 01, 2014 Diane Mendoza rated it it was amazing
Was in a bookshop and didnt know what to buy. Saw this book and was interested so I search for reviews. Reviews were good so I gave it a try. Im still in the first few chapter and I would say it is a real page turner. Can't wait till I finish it and share my review ^_^
Helen Bucknall-ryder
Thought provoking and informative about how women are treated and viewed in India, and how a women's womb can has become a commodity at the expense of emotions. Didn't like the style it was written in as it jumped about all over the place and the ending was unsatisfactory.
Claudia
Jan 10, 2015 Claudia rated it liked it
Not very well written, but in a light style with some suspense and humour. interesting facts about surrogate motherhood and IV fertilisation in a globalised world.
Jenny Ekberg
Aug 29, 2016 Jenny Ekberg rated it did not like it
Started good, but emerged that science content was poorly researched and the book was quite populistic with lots of stereotypes. Great topic though that needs to be addressed.
Kathy Petrakis
Mar 31, 2013 Kathy Petrakis rated it it was amazing
I thought the topic was interesting and complex. I read through it quickly, wanting to know how it all ended. Her first book won a Costa award but I believe this book is even better. A great read!
Maria
Oct 07, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it
Långsam i sektioner men intressant plot som tog sig vägar man i början inte väntade sig. Ytlig behandling av stamcellsanvändning men intressant om surrogatmödrar i Indien - i en romanform.
Nandini
Jul 15, 2012 Nandini rated it liked it
The book is about out sourcing surrogacy to India. The story is great but I did feel the writing was a bit of a let down.
Ayushi
Ayushi rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Farhanashaikh
Farhanashaikh rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Vaibhav
Vaibhav rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2015
Jennifer Rack
Jennifer Rack rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Enni
Enni rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Mai
Mai rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Sumera
Sumera rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013