Start by marking “Diga Adeus Aos Mitos!” as Want to Read:
Diga Adeus Aos Mitos!

Diga Adeus Aos Mitos!

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  31 reviews

The truth behind all those weird and worrisome things you think about your body---EXPOSED!

Face it---you have more access to medical information than ever before, and yet you still believe “facts” about your body and health that are just plain wrong. Don’t Swallow Your Gum! takes on these myths and misconceptions and exposes them for what they are. Inside these pages, the

Published January 2010 by Editora Guerra & Paz (first published May 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Diga Adeus Aos Mitos!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diga Adeus Aos Mitos!

karen
i think everyone should read this book. and while it is full of useful things to know (like which more expensive drugs are exactly the same as cheaper versions or that you dont need to drink all that water you are drinking) there are some things that i am too stubborn to stop doing. like putting butter on my burns. it makes me feel better, even if it "doesnt help" and is "actually worse for the burn". i dont care - i dont want to know. and im still going to eat anything that falls on the floor....more
Michelle
Jun 17, 2009 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book is actually written by a very close friend of mine. He is one of the brightest individuals I know. We had a blast listing to some of the ideas for the book and hearing his thoughts along the way. I have only heard great things about it, but haven't read it myself yet. I am going to his book signing tonight and then will report back...
Efox
I highly recommend this book to anyone who has ever thought "I need to drink 8 glasses of water a day" or "Nexium is so much more effective than Prilosec" or "eating a banana will make mosquitoes like you more." The authors of the book go through these and other common myths and facts of common health care tips. It's broken up into how we get diseases (hint, they're not from bad weather or having wet hair in the cold) myths about our bodies (that hand size trick ladies. . .) pregnancy, babies an...more
Amanda
Man, I LOVE books like this. Being a lover of trivia, I look forward to books that debunk(or prove) popular myths, not only for my presence of my mind(I don't have to worry about my head being uncovered), but because of the humorous way these doctors often present the facts. Don't Swallow Your Gum is a really good example of this. Drs. Aaron and Rachel succeed in pointing out the stupidity of believing in these myths without making you feel stupid and offer lots of good research to back their op...more
Jenny
I remember reading the article when they released their findings in Dec 2007. And I also remember that's where I learned that poinsettas are fine and that you don't lose any more heat from your head than you do from any exposed part of your body. Also that it is a myth that we only use 10% of our brains. It was a quick read and the only other thing I learned was that sometimes pharmaceuticals are very bad: like changing the colour of the green Prozac pill to pink, call it Sarafem and charge more...more
Brandon
This is a fun book that introduces and concludes different myths about health and how the body works. It tells what people have said about the myth, and then says if what they think is either true or false by giving scientific evidence with experiments people have taken.
Obviously, this a non-fiction book of facts, so you're not going to find a huge story with one giant meaning that all ties together. Although, don't get me wrong this book has enjoyable, fun facts that give you checkpoints to...more
Lora
Besides the fact that I pet sit for one of the author's pug, this is really quite informative and entertaining. All those things your mother told you were true, all those things you learned in the halls of your middle school... yeah, it's probably in here. This isn't dry and boring either - definitely quite entertaining. :)
Bunny
I love useless trivia. I love semi-useless trivia. And I love things that bust myths, even if I've never seen a certain show.

So how on earth could I have been as bored to tears as I was by this book? Seriously. Even their attempts to interject humor made me cringe and flip the page.

Horrid.
Charli
All those body and health myths and half-truths are exposed - everything from the relationship between foot and penis size to gum stays in your stomach for seven years - with numerous delightful scientific commentary. Well researched with tons of documentation, but not dry or fussy in any way.
Starr
Short and interesting. Does green mucus mean a sinus infection? Do you lose all your body heat through your head? Do antibiotics really effect birth control pills? In one to 4 pages, these types of questions are addressed through scientific data.
Gemma
Thank goodness! The average human being does NOT swallow 8 spiders a year.

I can now sleep in peace.
Chris
Very interesting facts that shattered a lot of myths.
Gavin Yee
I found out about these two books from trying to keep up with John Green (a YouTuber/author) who talks about some of things in the book and how he is also making a YouTube channel with the author of books talking about a healthcare [that is going to explain a lot about how healthcare works].

Both books “Don't Swallow Your Gum!: Myths, Half-Truths, and Outright Lies About Your Body and Health” and “/Don't Cross Your Eyes...They'll Get Stuck That Way!: And 75 Other Health Myths Debunked” addresses...more
Erikka
I love any book that says "Remember that thing you've always heard about (fill in random old wive's tale or folk myth here)? Well, it's complete bulls**t." I HATE folk lore, I HATE people who take everything as it's told to them with no thought or consideration, and I HATE ignorance. I read this book and just kept thinking "there are people I know that I want to smack in the face...with this book."

Some of my favorite stupid beliefs that they totally debunked:

--Vaccines cause autism (no freaking...more
Runa
It's a decent book--I'll admire any book that addresses common misconceptions and backs them up with science. A lot of the facts are repetitive, though, same old myths being busted from book to book (but then again, it's the same myths that people continue to buy into, like Vitamin C for colds, eyestrain from reading in the dark, etc.) I'm actually going to read Ken Jennings' mythbusting book Because I Said So! : The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its...more
Whitney Garrett
I really enjoyed this book. The book is full of short snippets answering whether a widely believed medical fact is true or myth. The authors site their research and use well-researched studies.

If you'd like to see what Aaron Carroll is like to see if you'd like to read the book, he hosts a channel on youtube called Healthcare Triage.
Roberta
Fun and informative.
Michael
This is an interesting book and it is written is a entertaining and casual style. It is good to hear about the real science (or lack of it) behind the common and frequent advise you often get. Some of my favorites are how the myth of 8 glasses of water a day got started, looking at the 5 second rule and the lack of any evidence that anyone has ever poisoned Halloween candy. Also, since it is in short articles about various subjects, it is perfect for sporadic reading.
Bethany
Quick, easy read. If you're looking for a skimming book, both in its ability to be picked up at any point and skimmed, as well as a book that skims the surface of a topic, this is the book for you. Each myth is touched upon in just one, maybe two pages (and in some cases, just one paragraph). If you're one that likes an in depth description of studies, this perhaps is not the book for you, but it's a good overview in an attempt to debunk common myths.
Shannon
I'm not sure if the main reason I enjoyed this book, was because is dispelled so many old-wives tales about your health that I've been told throughout the years. Or if the scientist in me just enjoys learning new things like this. But this was a must read. I'll never again put hydrogen peroxide on a cut. Just have to convince those around me that its a bad idea...
Mof
Quick read to dispel some old wives tales.
Angela
This was an interesting read. The only thing I don't believe is the flue portion. They said the flu vaccine given is the dead virus. My inquiry, is if it's dead why would the body create antibodies to fight it? It would have to be a very weak virus, instead of dead, so the body can create antibodies.
Michelle Clark
The information itself is interesting, but the presentation is just...so...dull! Definitely the kind of book you skim through, picking maybe a handful of topics to actually read.
Danie
It was an interesting book, but I felt some of the "myths" were not very well explained, like they didnt have a enough evidence in my opinion to disprove certain myths in the book.
Joanne
Quick little read with lots of interesting facts - don't believe everything you hear - even from your doctor!
Nancy
This book has a lot of interesting information and debunks a lot of myths.
Tressa
I've always enjoyed books like this. A light, informative nonfiction read.
Miz
Miz Lou is currently on page 15 of 221.
Kristy
This is a fun book for health professionals and non-health professionals alike. I was very surprised by a few of the myths and I'm glad I won't make the mistake of believing them in the future. The book also has an extensive list of references which is nice for people on the clinical end of things and want to read more of the studies. It was a quick read as it's broken down by one-to-two page myths -- easy to read on public transport!
  • This Will Kill You: A Guide to the Ways in Which We Go
  • Money-Driven Medicine: The Real Reason Health Care Costs So Much
  • How We Do Harm: A Doctor Breaks Ranks About Being Sick in America
  • What Einstein Didn't Know: Scientific Answers to Everyday Questions
  • Reduced Shakespeare: The Attention-Impaired Reader's Guide to the World's Best Playwright [Abridged]
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • Blood and Guts: A Short History of Medicine
  • Over-diagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health
  • Extreme Vinyl Cafe
  • Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle
  • Adventures of a Continental Drifter
  • Buy Ketchup in May and Fly at Noon: A Guide to the Best Time to Buy This, Do That and Go There
  • Dead Center: Behind the Scenes at the World's Largest Medical Examiner's Office
  • The Mayo Clinic Diet: Eat well. Enjoy Life. Lose weight.
  • The Ultimate Book of Useless Information: A Few Thousand More Things You Might Need to Know (But Probably Don't)
  • Welcome to Your Brain: Why You Lose Your Car Keys But Never Forget How To Drive and Other Puzzles of Everyday Behavior
  • Smallpox: The Death of a Disease: The Inside Story of Eradicating a Worldwide Killer
  • On the Origin of Stories: Evolution, Cognition, and Fiction
Don't Put That in There!: And 69 Other Sex Myths Debunked Don't Cross Your Eyes...They'll Get Stuck That Way!: And 75 Other Health Myths Debunked Myths About Sex & Pregnancy