Start by marking “Hold Everything Dear: Dispatches on Survival and Resistance” as Want to Read:
Hold Everything Dear: Dispatches on Survival and Resistance

Hold Everything Dear: Dispatches on Survival and Resistance

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  35 reviews
From one of the most impassioned of writers of our time, this powerful collection of essays offers a stark portrait of post-9/11 realities. John Berger occupies a unique position in the international cultural landscape: artist, filmmaker, poet, philosopher, novelist, and essayist, he is also a deeply thoughtful political activist. In Hold Everything Dear, his artistry and...more
Published March 12th 2009 by Pantheon (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hold Everything Dear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold Everything Dear

Ferda Nihat Köksoy
KIYMETİNİ BİL HERŞEYİN
(http://www.kitabinomurgasi.com/2013/1...)
Kitaptan Alıntılar ve Sentezler:
-Dünyada küresel bir “İKTİSADİ-ASKERİ TİRANLIK” düzeneği işlemektedir.

-Berlin Duvarı’nın yıkılması sonrasında, yoksullarla aralarına beton duvarlar, etnik/dinsel duvarlar ve polis duvarları ören ZENGİNLERİN PERVASIZLIĞI, dünyada kol gezmektedir.

-TERÖR, yoksulların savaşı, SAVAŞ ise zenginlerin terörüdür.

-İNTİHAR EYLEMCİLİĞİ, umutsuzluğun ve anlamsızlığın reddidir.

-ADALETE özlem olmadıkça MUTLULUK kuru...more
Magdelanye
Despite his disappointing simplistic analysis of the conflict in the middle east,I did enjoy most of the essays here and can recognize Bergers stamp of fluid genius with appreciation.
Katie
Aug 19, 2008 Katie added it
Recommends it for: Chris and Jim
I think, though I'm probably wrong, this is a mediation on freedom. It's the more lucid and realistic novel I've read of Berger's (though I've only read one other , which is probably my favorite book ever). His landscape isn't much sullied, or gloified, by the unconcious. This is how the realist poet should write; it attempts to understand the sadness and sometimes desperate empathy people usually keep hidden without talking about it directly. Isn't that the job of a minimalist, mostly because i...more
Bob Connors
Berger's introspection, as I have come to expect, is spot on. His writing is sure of itself; comfortable enough, and I think this is key, to avoid hysterical realism and leave the text room to breathe.

I take issue with this wonderful little book only insofar as his politics are, at times, not quite so sophisticated: "Many fear that before long, US military forces will be launching the 'preventive' war against Iraq so that the US oil corporations can lay their hands on further and supposedly safe...more
Travis
"There are seven levels of despair -- one for each day of the week -- which lead, for some of the more courageous, to the revelation that to offer one's life in contesting the forces which have pushed the world to where it is, is the only way of invoking an all, which is larger than that of the despair."
Rachel
In this collection of essays written post-9/11, Berger again manages to lucidly describe the world and relationships around us. Easy to pick up after being put down for a while, Berger's prose continued to give me pause.
Tiffany
Have to say I enjoyed the movie more than the book on thi one. I like a happier ending and this wasn't what I liked. The book was a fast read and good romance but I am all about the ending and this didn't do it for me.
Rick
Humans live in two time-scales at once -- the biological timescale of their bodies and the timescale of their consciousness.

Gorgeous.
Alex Fallis
Wonderful, thoughtful, heartbreaking essays. Berger always gets me thinking in new ways.
Robertisenberg
What an odd little volume -- essays, prose-poems, modest reportage, you name it, all signifying the end of freedom and justice. For years, I have treasured my edition of "Ways of Seeing," which was such an essential introduction to art and its social context. Berger reminds me of Chatwin, the way he combines an appreciation for art with anthropological curiosity and gutsy travel to dangerous lands. But "Hold Everything Dear" is particularly scattered; he leapfrogs from topic to topic, place to p...more
Editorial Alfaguara
Visceral y apasionada, esta obra a�na la m�s l�cida perspectiva literaria con el m�s reflexivo activismo pol�tico y social y sugiere el pensamiento y la acci�n que podr�an ayudar a acabar con la injusticia y el sufrimiento en el mundo. John Berger analiza la esencia del terrorismo y el drama del desarraigo de millones de personas que se han visto obligados por la pobreza y la guerra a vivir en calidad de refugiados. Su mirada implacable ilumina la situaci�n de Afganist�n, Irak, Palestina, Serbia...more
Polly Jirkovsky
A poet translates the newspaper, taking the imediate explosions and sifting through them to find terrible urgent beauty. The book begins with an invocation to the dead, and they remain present throught the journey to fear, despair and desire. After examining the terrible kinds of survival that is to left to people who have lost everything and still live, Berger brings us to desire and its ability to create another world, a chance for something to work right, to give a reprieve from pain, even if...more
Alison Frye
Forget Dave Eggers: THIS book should be called a "heartbreaking work of staggering genius." It's heavy, difficult, and beautiful. It tackles issues we often avoid or simply don't think about -- poverty, conflict, war. But it does it with such insight and anger that you can't help but be moved.
Milton Brasher-Cunningham
I wish this were required reading for everyone who seeks to make sense of life in these times.
Nazlı Karabiyikoğlu
Made me watch "La Rabbia" from Pasolini.
Catherine
Berger is phenomenal. In reading Linda Green's recent (2011) article "The Nobodies," where she quotes Berger, I was reminded of his clarity and compassion. One passage reads: "Month by month, millions leave their homelands. They leave because there is nothing there, except their *everything,* which does not offer enough to feed their children. Once it did. This is the poverty of the new capitalism." (p. 120) Hold everything dear.
Michael
i derived immense pleasure from reading this thin volume. it's a mediation on suffering, hope, despair, the beauty of the eye, the dead and the living. i think susan sontag says it best, "not since d. h. lawrence has there been a writer who offers such attentiveness to the sensual world with responsiveness to the imperatives of consciousness." these post 9/11 vignettes generate thought and wonder and feeling.
Bethany Taylor
May 03, 2008 Bethany Taylor rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cynical optimists
Recommended to Bethany by: Nathaniel Blauss
I read this immediately after watching the beloved POTUS stumble through his final SOTU, and it gave be a slim reassurance that the world may not be totally without hope, and that the little moments actually add up to something.
Preface poem was breath taking.
And this "averaging of book ratings" is way off (and silly)if this little gem only gets a 3.79...was everyone else reading the same book?
Paola
Lo ammetto non conoscevo John Berger, il librino l'ho visto qui su anobii e il titolo mi ha intrigato.
Abbi cara ogni cosa, si, dalle piccole alle grandi cose. Dalle vicine alle lontane, a quelle dentro e fuori di noi.
Abbi cara ogni cosa, e aggiungo io il corollario, se puoi, se vuoi, prenditene anche cura ce n'é un gran bisogno...
Autore di cui sicuramente leggerò altro.
Tommy
A great short read dealing with the issues of daily life for Palestians, what breeds terrorism, class warfare, and the current political power structure. This is more a collection of short essays and thoughts from Berger that has the feel of reading through a writers notebook of personal thoughts than an actual published work.

I will definitely read more by Berger and hope others do too.
Richard
Essays. A radical view of the world post 9/11. Extremely intelligent and thought provoking. A very good look at life on the ground in Palestine - disturbing to say the least, with a lot more detail than any of us get from the newspapers. Should piss a lot of people off.
eeegooo
Mai così attuale, leggo questo libro che parla di Israele e Palestina, economia malata e guerre ovviamente assurde se non per chi ha interesse. pubblicato nel 2007 mi chiedo cosa sia veramente cambiato. Il tutto sulle spalle di giganti come Pasolini e Hikmet.
William
I have loved reading much of John Berger's work but this one was tough. It just didn't connect. The writing is personal to the point of being not understandable. Three stars is generous.
Kait
Elliptical thought poems on the nature of surviving and coping. I find this volume more rewarding to reference and skim than to read as a whole.
Poupeh
Berger provides a much-needed view of issues of survival and resistance. If only the world had people like him in positions of power...
Gabe
Great essays on a variety of subjects including politics, art, artists and more.
Paul Greenfield
Controversial, hard hitting but on the mark. Very much like Christopher Hithins
Jett
Geo political situations are not simple when presented with both sides.
Brigette
More wonderful essays from one of my favorite art and politics writers.
Li
liked a few essays more than others... it's a very John Berger book
  • Evening in Byzantium
  • The Age of Missing Information
  • Final Exam
  • Nothing: From Absolute Zero to Cosmic Oblivion - Amazing Insights into Nothingness
  • Meat Market: Female Flesh Under Capitalism
  • No Gods No Masters: An Anthology of Anarchism
  • Tools for Conviviality
  • A Blue Fire
  • Sixty Poems
  • Seeing Is Forgetting the Name of the Thing One Sees: A Life of Contemporary Artist Robert Irwin
  • Susan Sontag: The Complete Rolling Stone Interview
  • Captive State: The Corporate Takeover of Britain
John Peter Berger is an English art critic, novelist, painter and author. His novel G. won the 1972 Booker Prize, and his essay on art criticism Ways of Seeing, written as an accompaniment to a BBC series, is often used as a college text.
More about John Berger...
Ways of Seeing About Looking G. To the Wedding And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos