Start by marking “Beach Balls (Balls to the Wall, #3)” as Want to Read:
Beach Balls (Balls to the Wall, #3)

Beach Balls (Balls to the Wall #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Adam James is so far in the closet he could find Narnia. But coming out would threaten all he's built as the attorney for the homophobic WMA Development, and the million-dollar paycheck waiting for him once they push their big land development deal through the city council. Then, on an early morning scuba dive, Adam meets a tall, lean rebreather diver named Sky who makes h ...more
Published May 29th 2012 by Etopia Press (first published May 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Beach Balls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beach Balls

JustJen "Miss Conduct"
This was my favorite one so far. I still spent some time in the beginning trying to remember who these people were or if we met them in the previous books.

I loved in the closet Adam. He was up front about it and spent most of the book questioning his life and the reasons for doing so. Sky was fabulous. The octopus incident had me laughing out loud. He was funny and sexy, and when they got together, they sizzled.

Another good read that is keeping me hooked on the Balls books.
Vio
Not sure how to review Beach Balls it didn't hit every button for me some of it was enjoyable and funny but there was a missing element in the relationship between Adam and Sky it wasn't as sexy or as dreamy as I would have liked. That sizzling attraction that made Fire Balls so good was not there or I just didn't feel it. Still it was a nice light easy read with a few cute moments.
Macky ~ Sinfully...Addicted To All Male Romance

Out of the four books in this series " Beach Balls " felt like it had taken a step away from the series. I was expecting this to be Jerry's story but Tara introduced two new characters who have never been mentioned before so that's possibly why it felt different. Looking back now, to when I first read it, I remember thinking then, that it almost felt as if it could have been a standalone outside of the series. Needless to say I still really enjoyed it. Adam and Sky have great chemistry and the p
Candice

This book was a light and easy read. I liked both Adam and Sky and thought the story on how they met with the octopus was kinda cute. Unfortunately there just seemed to be something missing with the way the storyline was set up. I felt that as the reader I was given just enough information to move the story along, but never enough to feel connected with what was happening or with the characters completely. Still it was an enjoyable read.
Eli Easton
After reading the recent FAST Balls, I realized I had missing one in the Balls to the Walls series--this one--and hurried to remedy that.

As usual with Tara Lain, I enjoyed this quick, easy-to-read romance. Sky and Adam were both very appealing, and I liked the antagonism sub-plot and how they both affected each other's outlooks on life. It was rewarding to see Adam come out of the closet and find himself.

This was quite a good read. Not my favorite in the series but very good. Recommended!
Susan65
I really, really liked this one. Best of the series so far i think. It was cute, sweet, funny, a touch of angst but not too much, and some serious underwater making out. Such a great read from start to finish.
Sandra
I really enjoy this series. The plot to this had me hesitating because it could have been cheesy and annoying, but just like with Fire Balls, I thoroughly enjoyed every moment. It was paced very well and they didn't rush into the drama so that we got bored. The first third was us meeting Adam, then his and Sky's meeting and realizing they had chemistry and starting a thing. Their altercation/climax/realization-that-they're-nemesis came at just the right time and developed naturally without feeli ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Sweet easy story, I read it at the beach, but alas no balls, none in the story or at the beach! *sigh*
It was cute, nothing deep or really exciting, like Candice I was missing a little something 'special'.
But I enjoyed it and sort of wished Sky had grovled a bit, I didn't see Adam as all at fault in this one, and thought Sky was a bit 'holier-than -thou', but he understood better at the end!
(view spoiler)
oceankitty
I hate insta-love. Except when it is such a large part of the story that I just have to swallow it down and go with it. Okay, so instant attraction does happen and sometimes it turns very swiftly into love. I can certainly forgive the insta-love in Beach Balls, because the scene depicting our two MC's first meeting is just so funny and sweet and absolutely perfect. What seems like initial reluctance soon turns out to be irresistible attraction, and from there on out there is no holding back. Not ...more
Lena Grey
It's good to have strong principles, but we need to reexamine them from time to time to make sure they are still relevant. Broad, sweeping generalizations such as all developers are crooks and all conservationists are reactionaries isn't healthy or fair. Adam and Sky of Tara Lain's book 'Beach Balls' are both very determined men with very specific attitudes toward certain things which seemingly put them on different sides of the fence. If they want to be together, they need to dig deep and decid ...more
Thomaidha Papa
4.5

Oh my, what a book, definitely my favorite of the Ball’s series.
Adam is an excellent character, very well written and I loved him. He is a lawyer working for a developer company and while he loves his job he is somehow an honest lawyer. Heh, I laughed at that in the beginning, but I soon saw how brilliant a character he was. His current case has him somehow in the blind. Not everything is revealed to him and that unnerves Adam. While his work has nearly
Gabbi
Beach Balls is the third book in the Balls to the Walls series and so far, it’s my favorite in the series. I loved the chemistry between the two heroes as well as their drive to do what it right. As usual, Ms. Lain did an excellent job at writing a funny, heartfelt, sexy read that lived in my heart and mind long after I finished the book.

Adam James has been going through the motions of life for a long time. As a successful lawyer, he is afraid to tell his peers and others about his homosexuality
Katharina
3.5

A sweet, short story, not too much angst, easy to read, and problems that can all be solved beautifully by the end. In other words, a typical Balls to the Wall story.

What I like about these books is that appearances are often not related to the roles these guys play in their relationship - you get smaller tops or pretty boys taking charge, at least in the bedroom. That's something I always enjoy because it disrupts the predictable flow of expectation and actual behaviour.

This book was a bit m
Nic
This story is very different to the first two in the series and is really not about sport at all - unless you count the bit of scuba diving that occurs - so I had to reclassify on my bookshelves! It also has a very different feel to the others in the series without really crossing over with any of the characters we have met so far (apart from a brief mention of Roman's paintings).

Not that this is a bad thing because I totally enjoyed the story.

This story brings together a very much in the closet
Sophia
This was the third book in a loosely tied series set in and around Laguna Beach, CA. It was an enjoyable read that was a bit different from the first two in the series though it continues with an opposite attract/one lover in the closet theme. The fun in the sun feel was enjoyable for a summer read (though it would work in the winter to remind one of the warmth of summer on the beach).

Adam is in the closet and a lawyer representing a big development group. Sky is an environmental expert who is c
JoAnna
Two guys meet and fight over an octopus, that isn't the start of a joke but how Sky and Adam meet in this great story by Tara Lain. Adam is an attorney for a development company and the men he works for are anti-gay. So Adam hides his sexuality during his everyday life but treats himself to parties with other gay men where they don't use their real names. Adam meets Sky while diving and fight over an octopus. During a town council meeting over a project Adam is working on an expert witness is ca ...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Definitely better than the first two in this series, but still not impressing me. I think it's safe to say I'm not a huge fan of Tara Lain.
Diane
I loved this book! I think this is my favorite in the series (well, at least for now!), in part because it is more about overcoming your own perceived bias than those that can be imposed on you by society, although there is that too! But mostly, it's about Sky and Adam deciding if they can look beyond their own fear and judgement to take a chance on being more, and maybe finding love.

Very hot scenes of course, but I really enjoyed the quiet moments - for the leads on their time together are defi
books are love
Dear Adam,

Adam adam adam what were you thinking boy? Oh that's right you weren't were you. You thought dollar signs. Always so careful but with this deal you wanted to get out. Wanted some more security so you can be who you are- a gay attorney who isn't sitting with MR. Tumnus sipping tea while trying to avoid the white wtich in Narnia. You would like to be with Aslan doing good.

While hanging in Narnia you meet the perfect guy. One who gets you but unfortunately this doesn't go to well because
Christy Loves 2 Read
The 3rd book in Tara Lain's amazing Balls to the Wall series, Beach Balls has more than lived up to the first two books in terms of fabulous story-telling.
Adam James is a CA developer. Sky Sea Mickeljohn is an environmentalist. Hmmm - need I say more?
The sparks and love that fly between the two makes for a romantic and VERY sexy story. I thoroughly enjoyed this installment and am anxious for the next.
Cassandra Carr
Another winner in the "Balls to the Wall" line from Tara Lain. Ms. Lain writes believable gay characters with real-world problems, but doesn't skimp on the heat factor either. And I love how we see characters from other books in the series popping up again. If you like m/m romance that pulls at the heartstrings but still manages to be hot, give Ms. Lain a try!
Mary
Jul 04, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: Choose it as the book to win
This book was as entertaining as the first 2. Great, sweet and fun characters. Love Adam with all his conflicts, but still a good person at heart. Sky falling for his arch enemy, but seeing pass that to the person his is. Would have like to see more of the ones from the first 2 books, but it still was a great read!
Embry Carlysle
I Loved this book....only thing I wanted was more time with the boys from the other two books..........but other than that this book was really, really good. The way Tara brought her main character out of the closet was done in a sensitive and believable manner.........Great job Ms. Lain ;)
Bogusia
I liked the characters from-enemies-to-lovers.
I cried and I smailed ,it was good and the ending was perfect :)
Tara never disappoints and has another winner in this series.
Can't wait to read the next one maybe about Maurice(and I'm waiting for Jerry's story)...
Plainbrownwrapper
I'm not quite sure why I enjoy these "Balls" books, but I do. Perhaps it's because of the strongly individual characters -- no cookie cutouts here. The books are too short to really develop everything to its full potential, but they are entertaining nonetheless.
Chris
2.5 stars. Ok m/m romance about a closeted lawyer who heads to a friend's beach house on weekends to hook up with anonymous guys... and then while diving, he meets someone he doesn't want to be anonymous with.
Virginia
I very much enjoyed the first two books in this series but I wasn't able to connect with the MCs in this one. Plus, I found the language in the early sex scenes way too corny for my taste.
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Beach Balls was certainly my favorite of the Balls to the Wall books. There was just something about Sky that made him so easily likable. It’s also not every day where you get to read a couple that meets while fighting over an octopus. That right there makes for a reason to grab this book.
Adam and Sky have an instant attraction that neither put up a fight about. If anything they both run blindly into a hot fling. They’re compatible and both want the same things sexually. That is enough for them
Jackie
Sweet love at first sight. I enjoyed the read. The story is just missing something.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I really enjoyed this one. It was my first book by Ms. Lain and while it is third in a series, I didn't read the first two because I heard it wasn't necessary.

I really liked how Adam and Sky meet and have an instant, intense connection only to find out later on that they are on opposite sides of a major environmental project. It was sweet how they connected and how Adam was very open about being in the closet and how Sky accepted that. I LOVED how they met. It was so cute how Sky refers to Adam
  • Geoff's Teddy (Synchronous Seductions Book 3)
  • The Strength of a Man
  • Bound
  • Busted
  • Be My Alien (Moonlit Skies #1)
  • Needing You
  • Slow Burn
  • Crossed Hearts (Hearts and Scars, #1)
  • With This Ring
  • Dare to Love Forever (New Vampire Justice #1)
  • Hard Ride
  • Daddy's Boy
  • A Forbidden Rumspringa (Gay Amish Romance #1)
  • Impact Ripples
  • Stay With Me
  • Jackman
  • Artist's Touch (Guild #1)
  • Love Rising (Isla Sagrario)
Tara Lain never met a beautiful boy she didn’t love – at least on paper. A writer of erotic romance, mostly ménage and male/male, Tara loves all her characters, but especially her handsome heroes. A lifelong writer of serious non-fiction, Tara had the first novel she ever wrote accepted for publication in 2011. She’s now on book 27 and counting. After an exotic life of travel all over the world an ...more
More about Tara Lain...

Balls to the Wall (5 books)
  • Volley Balls  (Balls to the Wall, #1)
  • Fire Balls  (Balls to the Wall, #2)
  • Snow Balls (Balls to the Wall, #4)
  • F.A.S.T. Balls (Balls To The Wall, #5)
Knight of Ocean Avenue (Love in Laguna, #1) Love You So Hard Fire Balls  (Balls to the Wall, #2) The Pack or the Panther (Tales of the Harker Pack, #1) Volley Balls  (Balls to the Wall, #1)