Start by marking “Blue Skies (Atopia Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blue Skies (Atopia Chronicles, #1)

Blue Skies (Atopia Chronicles #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Olympia is a high-powered New York advertising executive with perhaps the chance of a lifetime when she lands the biggest account of her life - the new Cognix synthetic reality promotion. The stress, however, is killing her, and she desperately needs relief from the distraction of everything and everyone around her...

All of the Atopia stories begin at the same moment in ti...more
Published March 9th 2012 by PhutureNews Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blue Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Skies

Jonny Amalgamated
What the heck is up with my constantly picking out short, novella length, books all of a sudden?

Any ways... So this book pretty much sets up the premise for the rest of the books in the series, which takes place in a plausable, yet not too distant future, where the planet is over crowded (especially in cities like New York) and nanotechnology is breaking grounds in reality filtering ways.

The main character is a bitch. She is supposed to be a bitch. She is a bitch who, through work stress and her...more
I thought this was an interesting premise. It's the first in a series and it's a short little read.

Set in the future, a woman who works in advertising and is suffering from anxiety, she takes a new drug, that interfaces directly with the brain. Don't like seeing bums on the street, just let your little brain-computer program know, and it'll filter them out of your life, anything you don't like? Consider it gone.

She tells it to remove everything that annoys her, and her world changes. It changes...more
Verditwist
The Atopia Chronicles
Where to start? First, this is Science Fiction not Fantasy. The only vampires you are going to find are gamers, and the only trolls are the on-line variety. So get ready to concentrate.
On the surface skin of this first story in the series (The Atopia Chronicles) we have an artificial island, and impending man-made disaster (possibly to do with the weather wars), and a bunch of relatives and friends we tag as they give their views of developing events. A circle of events seen...more
Craig Harris
A note/preface on this review. I had read Cyberstorm by Matthew Mather a while back and enjoyed it. To my surprise (and delight) I was asked whether I would read and review his upcoming novel "Dystopia" when it came out. Sure! Well, I received notification that it was on its way, and number 2 in a series. "Is this something where one has to read number 1 in order to be able to fully enjoy/get number 2?" "Yup -- it's a series and you need to have read the first book." Annoying. Not all series req...more
Susan
I actually read the combined Atopia series. Blue Skies is the first vignette. I'm torn about the rating because I think that some people will really love this and others will hate it. If you are interested in contemplating how "cyberspace" and distributed consciousness might affect humans, you may really enjoy this. I found it to be thought provoking. The ideas Mather has about things that could happen (what if we mutually inhabit other people's bodies? what if we could have virtual children who...more
Jim Williams
Intriguing first entry in this series. A little "Twilight Zone-y"
Nina
Blue Skies is the first installment in the Atopia Chronicles. Given that the entire set of six books is over 500 pages long, I was really surprised this one was so short.

The beginning of Blue Skies is a little like falling into water unexpectedly. It is an extremely technological world, and you are introduced to it by a narrator that is extremely impatient and irritable. Needless to say, she doesn't take much time to explain things. The first three quarters of this book I spent really disliking...more
Dave Higgins
Although it is one of six interlocking narratives comprising the Atopia Chronicles, this novella is also a fully rounded story capable of standing on its own.

Olympia Onassis is an advertising executive in a world struggling between riding the wave of new technology and sinking beneath it. Diagnosed with media-overload-induced stress on the eve of her greatest triumph, she agrees to trial a new technology that will edit out the very advertising that provides her livelihood.

The story is written in...more
Lau
Reseña de la edición completa

Olympia es un personaje fascinante. Es básicamente una persona horrible, con una personalidad odiosa, un carácter espantoso y un nerviosismo crónico que la vuelve intolerante hacia todo y todos. Está resentida con la vida y con su familia, es impaciente, maleducada, desapegada, fría, intolerante e insensible. Y aún así, por alguna razón que desconozco, cae bien.
Para curarla de su estrés un médico le sugiere un tratamiento alternativo que no queda completamente claro...more
Talia
This was an interesting, quick read about a scientifically-advanced future world. The main character seems like a jerk, but thankfully we don't have to spend a long time with her since this is short. I'm definitely interested in reading more books and novellas that take place in this world.
Andrea
What's not to like about Olympia? Okay, maybe that's a rhetorical question. She's definitely not perfect, and maybe she's an acquired taste. She's an ad exec trying to make her way in a cutthroat business, and she's having a bad day. Who could blame her for the path she chooses, who wouldn't make that choice too, given the option? Who hasn't wondered what it would be like to erase everything annoying about their life? Olympia reminds me a bit of myself at times. Not sure if that's a good thing o...more
Paula
Short story. First of six in series. Definitely makes you think. The future may be coming sooner than we think. Be careful what you wish for; appreciate what you have.
Christina  Torretta
Wow! Really interesting sci fi. Love where this has started and I'm curious where it's going to go.

Short moral for this short story: Be careful what you wish for!

Love listening to this. Started the second in the series already.
Justin
1st Read: January 2014
Philip McClimon
This book was excellent. The writing was tight. It has the air and feel of a twilight episode and a whiplash ending. I give it four stars instead of five only because the "rules of the world" that so "trap" Olympia seem squishy to me. I read it twice and am willing to admit that maybe I am missing something. It involves the technology that Olympia uses so wrecklessly. It is worth a read in any event, but read it with a critical eye and see for yourself. All in all, a good time.
Dennis Madison
The one thing that struck me while reading Blue Skies was how it reminded me of a Philip K. Dick story so if you like him, I think you'll also enjoy this.
I've read some other reviews stating that this story is short. It is, but it's more like an opening chapter to the much longer Atopia Chronicles. Blue Skies is a great, quick introduction to what is central to the Atopia Chronicles - Polysynthetic Sensory Interface or pssi.
Definitely an enjoyable read!
Wade McGinnis
I saw that author Hugh Howey had recommended this to one of his fans, and I've enjoyed most of Hugh's recommendations in the past. I was interested enough to see where this goes, but couldn't give this story a 4-star review because I really need to get invested in the main character of any story, and Olympia wasn't very likeable to me. Like I said, you'll probably enjoy this first story in the series, and be left wondering what comes next.
Halden
This story is definitely not heart warming but it is very poignant. It really illustrates the way society is starting to compartmentalize themselves to the point where we will never hear a different point of view and live in our own little echo chambers.
Wayne
Another good read recommended by Hugh Howey. I really appreciate a book that flows smoothly, immerses me in the scenes, and developed good characters, whether you like them or hate them.
Joshua
That was depressing as hell...

I enjoyed the story and the morals to it but the setting wasn't my favorite. Very cool short read though.
Jeremy
I think the futuristic feel of the story is great, but I really disliked the main character. Also the ending was really obvious.
Jeff Smith
Nice. I really like how the different books are linked and flow together. The way this one ended was great.
Anna Heidick
Amazing story. Cool idea, the whole place sounds interesting and awesome sounding technology and a great lesson.
Amber
Started out feeling a bit iffy, but got progressively more interesting.
Joshua
The writing style was a little irritating but the story was good.
Nanda Zacharias
I must know what happens next!
I love the futuristic theme.
James
Interesting premise I look forward to it unfolding
James
Not the best prose, but a great story.
Jennifer Kaster
Short. Very short. But I loved it!
Damali
4.5 stars.
  • Nessa: A Breeders Story
  • The Walking Dead, Issue #6
  • Fireflies
  • Kellie's Diary #1
  • Earth
  • The Dead Love Longer
  • The Discovery of Socket Greeny (Socket Greeny #1)
  • The Librarian's Daughter: The Story of Abi VanHaven
  • Indentured (The Mystic Saga, #1)
  • The Myth of the Garage: And Other Minor Surprises
  • Seer's Hope (The Seer Trilogy, #1)
  • Mind Café
  • The Plagiarist
  • Crossover (The Chosen One Trilogy, #1)
  • Baby (Species Intervention #6609, #1)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (Yesterday's Gone, #1)
  • Forbidden the Stars (The Interstellar Age, #1)
  • Dangerous Voices
Matthew is the bestselling author of CyberStorm and the #1 hit series Atopia Chronicles. He started out his career working at the McGill Center for Intelligent Machines, going on to become one of the world's leading members of the cybersecurity community. In between he's worked in a variety of start-ups,everything from computational nanotechnology to electronic health records, weather prediction s...more
More about Matthew Mather...
CyberStorm Complete Atopia Chronicles (Atopia Chronicles 1-6) The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2) Childplay (Atopia Chronicles, #2) Timedrops (Atopia Chronicles, #3)