Start by marking “The Rose Revived” as Want to Read:
The Rose Revived

The Rose Revived

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,416 ratings  ·  52 reviews
May, Sally and Harriet are reduced to working for Quality Cleaners when each of them needs money, badly. But when they discover that they are being taken to the cleaners, they set up an independent team and things really begin to take off.
Published August 26th 2003 by Century (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Rose Revived, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose Revived

Mulva?
I laugh when I write reviews on Katie's books, cause there's just so many new ways of describing how this book is different then the other 12 books. Let's see... there's a girl with a boat who likes to argue a lot with the hot man and won't let him help her in anyway. Yet, when he leaves for a short time she gets all depressed. Good thing she's got her boat, her best gal pals, projects that are so impossible and a "cuppa" to get her through until he returns. Once he's back, some more arguing occ...more
Rosemary Morris
In The Rose Revived, talented author, Katie Fforde took three hard-up young women, three men they fancy and a narrowboat called The Rose then mixed them together with many other memorable characters to make a magic brew.

May is desperate to earn the money to pay The Rose's mooring fees which she unwittingly inherited.

Talented artist, Harriet, escapes from drudgery in her grandparents' house to pursue her dream of becoming an artist.

Out of work, Sally, an actress is trying to find the courage to...more
Tali
This book was pretty standard Katie Fforde fare. There's a happy, if somewhat rushed, ending which I'm always pleased about and the pace of the story trundles along quite happily so that you don't get so bored. A couple of issues niggled at me slightly when reading it though. No matter how quirky or scatterbrained you are, you don't randomly decide when in a stranger's house that you're going to use their shower. It's weird and quite frankly you'd be lucky if they didn't toss you out on the stre...more
Sue
Light easy read. Three young women meet up at an interview and the story follows the three of them as they meet 'their men'. Quite predictable, but funny, with good characters and quite a different storyline. Very different from my normal crime novels but I enjoyed it. I have read a few of Katie Fforde's novels and all are completely different with very different settings.
Beverly
Although all Katie Fforde's books follow the same formula I continue to read and enjoy them. Girl has a problem, encounters a man she cannot stand, he helps her, they fight have misunderstandings and eventually fall in love. She even solves her problem. A totally enjoyable reading experience. This time May needs money to save her boat, Harriet needs to make a place for her son and be able to study art, and Sally the aspiring actress wants to feel secure. They sign up to work for Quality Cleaners...more
Jeanne
Apr 18, 2010 Jeanne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeanne by: Roberta
It’s déjà vu all over again. No, wait, it’s just another formulaic novel from Katie Fforde.

Three women meet at an interview for a cleaning job. All three women, who are as different as different can be, are hired by Quality Cleaners. They are:

• May, the boat dweller in need of some fast cash;
• Sally, the out of work actress; and
• Harriet, the aspiring artist.

They become fast friends and soon discover that Quality Cleaners is not a quality operation. They decide to quit and form their own cleanin...more
Linda
Teaming up with two other women May is desperate to save her loved home the Rose Revived. May, Sally, and Harriet met while applying for an ad they all saw in the classifieds for housecleaner. There story goes from there, they become best of friends and work towards their individual dreams.
Abigail Roca Diaz
An easy read happy ending type of book. Never read her before, enchanting.
Robyn Koshel
Another winner by Katie Fforde. If youare looking for a charming, witty read- then give this a try.
Michele
Love Katie's books but this was too predictable.
Jo
I bought this book after going to a Katie Fforde book signing, never having read any of her novels before. I chat with Katie on Twitter and she's lovely, but her novels aren't my cup of tea. This was about a domestic cleaning service and I'm the least domestic person I know, so not a match made in heaven. I found the plot all-too-predictable and the female characters were too similar with too few flaws. The main male characters were all from the stereotypical hunk/hero mould. I'll stick to my pr...more
Rachel Brand
Mar 05, 2010 Rachel Brand rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rachel by: Mum
I enjoyed this more than "Highland Fling" by the same author, but didn't like the relationship between one of the girls and the painter - I couldn't understand how a woman could be happy with someone who treated her like she was something stuck to the bottom of his shoe! I don't know why Fforde decided to include such a strange relationship in the book; it seemed totally out of place. Apart from this, the book was a light, easy read and fairly enjoyable.
Hemmie Martin
This has not been my favourite Katie Fforde book, but that maybe because I have read five in a row, and perhaps I have had to much of a good thing. The protagonists have a cleaning business, and I find housework a thankless chore, so again the topic may have swayed my view. Fforde, however, has a beautiful way of writing a story that can lift you out of the real world. Would still recommend her books, even though this one isn't my favourite.
Jenny L
You really shouldn't read too many Katie Fforde novels in one year. They are a very easy, good read, but just too predictable. The outcome too perfect. The characters are always likeable, but they just always have too happy an ending and as I say - everything works out oh so very perfectly. If every woman had a life like Katie Fforde's characters, there really would be no need for any books of this genre to ever be written again.
Karen
Found this a little bit hard to get into at the start but once I got into it I really enjoyed it (thats why only 4 instead of 5 stars). May, Sally and Harriet all apply for a job at a new cleaning company that is being started. They soon strike up a good friendship and start up there own cleaning business as they are being ripped off. This book does not centre around the cleaning business it is as usual about the love lifes.
Louise
2.5 - Only being generous with the 3 stars as I usually like this author!
This book was so ridiculously far fetched and within the first couple of chapters you knew the how the whole book would be. Having that said, very easy reading if you're just looking for something to read without having to concentrate etc.
I've read later Katie Fforde books and enjoyed, but think I will avoid any more of her early books
this book, although slower to get into as others i have read, is so warm and so easy to relate to! three women in very different situations, but all that can be identified with real life. katie fforde is very easy to curl up in bed, morning, noon or night, to read and feel the warmth light romance should create. and it is not full of 'bedroom action', so it still feels sophisticated not trashy. highly recommended.
Kate Sylvan
This is the book equivalent of jam roly-poly: it's not going to change the way you think about the human condition but it's warm and sweet and comfortingly British.*

*I will note that even in Britain, I'm fairly certain people in the 90's weren't all going around a) saying "Golly" and b) turning out to have close relations in the peerage.**

**Although golly, wouldn't it be nice.

Jacqueline
this one took a while to get going i got really bored with hearing about the cleaning and the endless tea and biscuits. it was a similar plot to many other Katie Fforde books plus it had a narrowboat in it - again. the romance between Sally and James was sweet but May was prickly for no good reason and the artist romantic lead was quite detestable. not one of her best.
Tracy
I like reading books by this author - they are easy read books and I love English humor. These authors books are usually pretty predictable, but I like that when I need something to read with a happy ending! Overall, a fun read - I look forward to reading more.
Pamela
A friend recommended this to me, and although I'd never been a romance fan, I did enjoy this book. It was great to have a couple of lighter books in between all the blood and mayhem of the Henning Mankell series I'd been reading.
Sara
I learned that women want men who boss them around. I think that Katie Fforde is a good writer, and she definitely has a tendency to have forceful male characters. I felt that this book had one too many of these.
CLM
This was the second Fforde I read, back when I had to get them in England. Katie Fforde is one of the few people who can make a book about cleaning entertaining! Going the Distance by Christina Jones is the other.
Louise Bro
This book will not change the way you perceive he world, but it will keep you thoroughly entertained the entire time. It might also make you want to buy a narrowboat or start your own business, so beware.
Brenda Christiansen
I generally enjoy Katie Fforde's books - but this was my least favorite so far. The female characters weren't particularly likeable and it felt like there were a few holes in the story.
Kathy
I would have given it a 4, except that the first third of the book was quite slow. I nearly stopped reading, but luckily it picked up quite nicely and I enjoyed the rest of it quite a bit.
Amanda
My favorite of Katie Fforde's books. I want to live on a long boat on a canal. Katie Fforde is one of my favorite comic romantic authors, and I wish it was easier to get her books here.
Anna
aww this was cute :) one of the most cliche bits chick lit I've read but it was still very sweet...and I couldn't help thinking how good it would be as a film, with Hugh Grant :)
Leslie Hickman
I really liked this one! It reminded me of my first vacation to England when Taylor & I did the whole canal tour on our own narrowboat. Heavenly it was and so is this book.
  • Chocolate Wishes
  • Fen
  • Me and Mr Jones
  • All You Need is Love
  • The Xmas Factor
Catherine Rose Gordon-Cumming was born 27 September 1952 in England, UK, the daughter of Shirley Barbara Laub and Michael Willoughby Gordon-Cumming. Her grandfather was Sir William Gordon-Cumming. Her sister is fellow writer Jane Gordon-Cumming. Katie married Desmond Fforde, cousin of the also writer Jasper Fforde. She has three children: Guy, Francis and Briony and didn't start writing until afte...more
More about Katie Fforde...
Wedding Season A Perfect Proposal Practically Perfect Love Letters Second Thyme Around