Start by marking “The Eighties: A Bitchen Time To Be a Teenager!” as Want to Read:
The Eighties: A Bitchen Time To Be a Teenager!

The Eighties: A Bitchen Time To Be a Teenager!

The decade of the 1980s has been called the Decade of Decadence. Decadence is defined as "the act or process of falling into an inferior condition or state; deterioration; decay" or my favorite, "unrestrained or excessive self-indulgence." For a decade that brought us Cabbage Patch Kids, Garbage Pail Kids, leg-warmers and New Wave, was it really self-indulgence?! For one k ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Just Load The Wagon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Eighties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eighties

Melissa
Sep 30, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
This is written in a really easygoing style with lots of great referenes to pop culture as well as personal anecdotes. Full review to come.
Annette
Fun to read ! This is a wonderful 'first' book, can't wait to read more from Tom Harvey. Tom has a friendly way of capturing our attention, much like the writing of Ted Kerasote.

As titled, this book is about growing up in the 80's, the music, the events, the energy of the time. Set in Central California we root for Tom through the travails and successes of his young adventures parenthasized by the music of the era. There are millions who will laugh and cry as they remember growing up in the bitc
Ginny
May 28, 2012 Ginny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So that's what it was like from the "preppy" kids' point of view. I was a teenager in the 80s, only a few years younger than the author but I wasn't in the same caste as he was. I was in what he was calling the "New Wave" type, except with a graduating class of less than 70 and in the Midwest, the New Wave group consisted of two of us - we were picked on mercilessly.

Anyway,I thought this book was extremely entertaining and I found myself literally laughing out loud at parts of it and saying, "Oh
Sea Shel
May 08, 2013 Sea Shel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this memoir by Tom Harvey and highly recommend it to anyone! I was a teen in the 80's and graduated 1986. This book nailed the teen experience in what we all refer to as "the good old days". Tom's wit and hysterically accurate descriptions of school life had me laughing out loud. Anyone who grew up during the 80's will appreciate the memories that our entire generation shared. The music and movie references are legendary!
Thanks for making me laugh, cry and remember the 80's and my
Jill
Nov 01, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The writer and I are the same age so I knew this was going to be a fun read. I was not disappointed. I relived so many good memories as this writer took me on a journey of my younger days. He has incorporated his own story with events and music of the 80's. I am actually a bit jealous as I do not have the discipline to pen my high school years, if only for myself. In addition, this book is well written and I completed reading it in about a day or two. I just could not put it down. Thanks Mr. Har ...more
Stephanie Mutone
Nov 19, 2012 Stephanie Mutone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads

What a truly enjoyable read this is. I can't stop smiling with all of my own memories flooding in. Thank you for helping me remember a wonderful place in time. I wouldn't have wanted to be a teenager at any other time than the 80's.
Tena
Jun 23, 2012 Tena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brought back some memories!!
Matthew Johnson
Jul 19, 2013 Matthew Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a free book through amazon, I was greatly pleased with it. It makes me wish I had been a teen in the eighties, aside from the clothing depicted in some of the pictures.
Edward Wolfe
Dec 01, 2013 Edward Wolfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book caught my eye because of the word "bitchen." :-)
The word sounds strange to anyone today who didn't use it in the 80's because it sounds like it's from the phrase "quit yer bitchin'" or something like that, but for us back then, it meant that something was awesome. (I don't know where it came from, but I can pretty clearly hear Tommy Chong saying it in my mind, so maybe Cheech & Chong started it. I just know we all said it and it was quite normal then.)

I read the preview on Amazon a
Nancy Bevilaqua
Dec 26, 2012 Nancy Bevilaqua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The advent of and boom in "indie" publishing has made me realize something--that EVERYONE has a story to tell and, when the stories are written well, readers can learn something AND be entertained while reading those of even the most seemingly "ordinary" people. The fact is that there really are no "ordinary" people, or ordinary lives.

Unfortunately, not everyone who has a story to tell has the talent to tell it in writing (I'm not putting anyone down; it's simply that different people have diffe
Paul
This book has the distinction of being the first book I was able to get through entirely on "Kindle for PC" because I couldn't stop reading it! There were so many things I could relate to - from unique things I had in common with the author such as watching Monday Night Football when John Lennon was killed to staying home from school on the day Reagan was shot to generational commonalities such as the music and movies.

The best part, though, wasn't just that I could relate to the stories, but it
Pam White
May 19, 2012 Pam White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book! I also grew up in the eighties, so it took me on a stroll down memory lane remembering things about that time in life that I hadn't thought about for many years. The eighties really was a bitchen time and if you grew up in that era you know what I am talking about. I have also had the pleasure of knowing the author Tom Harvey and so I was very familiar with the places, and some of the people that he wrote about, but even if I wasn't I would definately recommend reading this boo ...more
Rebecca Grant
Nov 19, 2012 Rebecca Grant rated it it was amazing
This is quite simply, one of the funniest books I have read in a LONG time! Tom Harvey is an exceptional writer. He was able to capture the past and his memories in such a way as to make me feel as though I was right there all along. At one harrowing moment, I had to actually remind myself that the author was not going to die as he wrote what happened!!!

This book is funny and a great read for anyone…but especially those people who experienced the 1980s. Anyone will be able to relate and remembe
Pam
Oct 28, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was born 6 months before Tom Harvey, so we were experiencing the same things at the same time...just on different coasts.

Reading this funny, sweet, and poignant memoir took me on a vivid and nostalgic trip down Memory Lane. I related to everything he wrote about....the music, the movies, the birth of MTV, Football Friday Night, first loves, first kisses, first time drinking booze (and the subsequent pukefest), Casey Kasem's weekly Top 40 radio program, going to the VHS movie rental store on F
Brittany
Sep 30, 2012 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I won't lie, as a person born in 1985, I wouldn't think that I would pick this book up in a bookstore. Thankfully, I was able to win a signed copy of this fun and easily read memoir from goodreads. I read this book in one day, a feat I rarely achieve because I'm great at falling asleep while reading, and I attribute it to Harvey's storytelling.

First loves, crappy first cars, awesome music from our high school years...we all have them. While this book was set in the 80s, I was able to relate a l
Elaine
Sep 30, 2012 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great read and sometimes difficult to read because it made me remember too many friends that are not here any longer.
But I also laughed. THANK YOU!!

Having been born in the same year and graduating in 1986, it was hard to resist reading this book. Tom brought back so many wonderful memories of things lost in the drama of life. I really enjoyed him sharing his school antics as well as his hardships. I was glad to see I was not the only one to be reminded of the wonderful class of '
Michael
Oct 18, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks to Goodreads First Reads and Tom Harvey for an ARC of The Eighties: A Bitchen Time To Be a Teenager!.

I loved the book! I too grew up in the 80's (only a couple of years younger than the author) so I could definitely relate to most everything the author experienced. The book chronicles the author's life growing up in Central California. He bares it all (in more ways than one) as he covers family struggles, politics, music, dating, sports, and more in this humorous and often touching memoir
Angela
May 25, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-edition
I'm not usually into memoirs, but this book had my interest cause of the nostalgic fill of the 80's that only I or the ones that was growing up in this decade will understand. This book brought back so many memories that it makes today's world unbelievable how so much has changed from then to now. Tom's story is unique, but also sharing his memories of that decade also brought back so many for me that I wish I could go back in time and relive the good moments and emotions. There really is no suc ...more
Mario Rocchetta
May 15, 2014 Mario Rocchetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I started reading Tom Harvey's "Eighties" book, I simply couldn't put it down. There is something very special and unique about Harvey's writing style that makes you feel like you are one of his long-lost friends re-experiencing all of your "firsts" together. At times I laughed, at times I cried, and throughout it all, I found myself reminiscing about my own memories of a simpler time. Whether you grew up in the 80s or not, this book is a must read for ANYONE who is looking for a good story ...more
Erik Dewey
A fun trip down memory lane. It was interesting reading about someone growing up about the same time I did in a different part of the country. The book is pure nostalgia, but it doesn't really present itself as anything but. I enjoyed reading about his middle school and high school life, and the regrets about things he did and didn't do.

The only really issue I had with the book was the later years, while he was in college, were blown over quickly where as the earlier years were chock full of det
Kristi Fenske
Nov 19, 2012 Kristi Fenske rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
while I was not a teenager in the 80s, much of my childhood was spent in them. I remember the music the fashion and the culture that will never see the light of day again. It was a simpler time and The Eighties: A Bitchen Time To Be A Teenager by Tom Harvey brought me back there again. The beauty of this book is you don't need to have lived the eighties to relate to the tales of angst that project from the pages. Filled with school memories, hormones, trouble and much much more this book is a me ...more
CatchTheseWords
Sep 30, 2014 CatchTheseWords rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I love the writing style, the way the author looks back on growing up in the 80s, mentions things that came in his adult life and how his choices shaped his future.

It was also a really entertaining book, and made me laugh a lot. Of course, there are moments that are very serious, but he makes each retelling both relatable and engaging for the reader.

I decided to buy his second book as soon as I finished reading this.

And...I wasn't even born in the 80s but still though
Sally Hannoush
Dec 01, 2012 Sally Hannoush rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm very glad I had the chance to read this book. I love how it seems the author is speaking directly to me. It feels like we should be hanging out in some run down coffee shop or out in the parking lot with a bunch of people. And I also hate to sound like a broken record (seeing other reviews)but, I also loved the trip down memory lane!!! We seriously grew up in a different world than kids today. Not that I had too much in comon but the 80s feel was there and it made me feel at home. Thanks for ...more
Kathryn
Although, I loved the references to the 80s, much of this book is just an autobiography of a guy who lived his teen years during the 80s. He actually graduated same time as me. But like the average person, whether our teen years were during the "Decade of Decadence" or not, our lives during that time really were not that interesting. It was an okay read and I would probably give it 2.5 stars, if I could. I'm glad though that I got this as a freebie.
Rhonda
Aug 22, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
I am definitely a product of the 80s, so I LOVED this book. I laughed and cried, and smiled inside at some of his memories that I also share. It is amazing that he has been able to share his own memoirs and yet make us remember our own lives during the same time period? Poignant and meaningful, funny and sad. I look forward to more books from Tom.
Lisa
Oct 27, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being an 80s teenager too, I loved this book. It was a trip down memory lane. I remember every movie and song that's referenced. I had a bottle of Paris too. I knew exactly what fragrance Harvey was talking about, long before he said the name. I catch the smell every once in a while and it always brings back teenage memories.
Patti
Feb 26, 2014 Patti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being the exact age of the author, this book was a trip down memory lane. Mostly.

The music, the movies, the fashion, the cliques. All were pretty damn familiar to me.

A good read, not too heavy, not too light.

Faye
Nov 17, 2013 Faye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read, read in one day. Even though it's set in America, there's so many things relevant to someone who was a teenager in Britain in the eighties.... Music, tv etc. was like a warm comforting hug from your past, so many happy memories. Loved it.
Becky
Jul 23, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was an early teenage in the 80s so thought I would be a able to relate to this book. I enjoyed it, but growing up in rural Montana was different than central California.
There were times I found myself laughing or agreeing. A good summer read.
Natasha Andrews
Sep 04, 2012 Natasha Andrews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! A well told story that made me laugh out loud in parts! I was a teen in the 80s & early 90s being born in 1972. Great trip down memory lane *eyes mist over with nostalgia* Thanks for sharing, Tom. PS Even though I know the truth, in my head it's Fab & Rob singing :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Where the Hell is Matt? The Story Behind the Internet Dancing Sensation
  • We Are Absolutely Not Okay: Fourteen Stories By Teenagers Who Are Picking Up the Pieces
  • My Emily
  • Don't Leave Me This Way
  • Maybe We'll Have You Back: The Life of a Perennial TV Guest Star
  • Only When I Laugh: My Autobiography
  • The Snitch, Houdini and Me: Humorous Tales of Death-defying Childhood Misadventure
  • Behind Jane Austen's Door
  • Sweet Tooth: A Memoir
  • Do Tampons Take Your Virginity?: A Catholic Girl's Memoir
  • The Souvenir: A Daughter Discovers Her Father's War
  • Twirty-Something: A Young Woman's Guide to Giant Underwear
  • Elsie: Adventures of an Arizona Schoolteacher 1913-1916
  • Shirley, I Jest
  • Etsy 101: Sell Your Crafts on Etsy, the DIY Marketplace for Handmade, Vintage and Crafting Supplies
  • Circling the Waggins: How 5 Misfit Dogs Saved Me from Bewilderness
  • Crazy: Notes On and Off the Couch
  • Sweet Dreams Are Made of This: A Life In Music
Tom Harvey is a product of the Eighties, having spent his "growing up" years within the decade. He lives with his wife, Susan, and their Shiba Inu in Bellevue, Washington. "The Eighties: A Bitchen Time To Be a Teenager!" is his first published work. (And, yeah, he knows that bitchen/bitchin' can be spelled two different ways...)

His second offering, "Don't Fight With the Garden Hose & Other Les