Start by marking “Bushworld” as Want to Read:
Bushworld

Bushworld

Bushworld: Enter At Your Own Risk, by Dowd, Maureen
Published August 3rd 2004 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bushworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bushworld

Elliot Schott
Feb 02, 2012 Elliot Schott rated it did not like it
Shelves: library
I honestly couldn't get through this piece. About halfway through, I got fed up with the amount of pet names Dowd was using for her political players. Overall, the tone of this book comes off like a Yahoo! news comment thread; it's way too abrasive in advance of any facts to win moderates or cynics over, thus making it something of a masturbatory piece for people already on Dowd's wavelength. There was plenty about the Bush administration to give any journalist room for extensive and outrageous ...more
Sabina
Aug 06, 2007 Sabina rated it it was amazing
The signs of abuses and excesses of the Bush/Cheney administration were all there in Maureen's column every week for anyone to pick up on. That we were bowled over and duped into the Iraq war is our own fault, really. She has a keen eye for the hubris in politics and draws very colorful allegories to illustrate her points.

You really should read it to get a better understanding of what makes this White House tick--and to hypothesize what trick they might try next. Never trust them; that's what I
J. Ewbank
Mar 23, 2010 J. Ewbank rated it it was ok
Shelves: political
I fyou like political books, obviously slanted, this is the book for you, especially if you did not like Bush or are a liberal.

It has some humerous elements throughout the book no matter what political stripe you happen to be.

Obviously the New York Times is not conservative and they generally write more negatively about conservatives and positively about liberals, but this book is written well and can be enjoyed by all.

I just do not happen to care too much for this type of political book.

J. Robe
Sandy
Dec 13, 2008 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Hilarious - not the subject matter but the writing style! Eye opening and amazing when you realize that this was not written 'after the fact.' These were editorials written between the late 90's and 2004. Her insight is 'right on!'
Aaron Widera
May 12, 2014 Aaron Widera rated it liked it
A haiku review:

Well-written but old.
Repetitive, not shocked too.
Find Bush a buffoon.
Desiree
Sep 23, 2007 Desiree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compilation of Maureen Dowd's editorials on the Bush family. She's amazing.
Rich
Feb 23, 2009 Rich added it
Actually did not finish this; love the author, but could not stomach reading anymore about the "subject"
Cheryl S.
Dec 13, 2012 Cheryl S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Entertaining and makes me soooo glad 3 term presidencies are not allowed.
Trista Carter
Sep 08, 2014 Trista Carter rated it it was amazing
What can I say except : Excellent!
Marni
Mar 09, 2017 Marni rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
She's a clever writer and has the insider information. In the midst of Trump America, I just don't want to read about another stupid white president.
RJ Corby
Feb 22, 2008 RJ Corby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Bushworld" is clever, witty, sage and urbane, which is typical Dowd. I always look forward to Dowd's twice-weekly columns in the New York Times, and I'm seldom disappointed. "Bushworld: Enter at your own risk" is a collection of her columns on President Bush, going all the way back to the '99 Republican primaries. It's an informative, devastating and often tragically hilarious stroll down memory lane. Although I've previously read these columns, this is a welcome and treasured compilation of th ...more
Ice
May 11, 2010 Ice rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
From Washington to Kennebunkport to Texas to old Europe and new Europe, during the past two decades Maureen Dowd has trained her binoculars on the Bush dynasty, putting them, as both 41 and 43 have complained to her, "on the couch." Here she wittily dissects the Oedipal loop-de-loop between father and son and the Orwellian logic of the rush to war in Iraq. It's a turbulent odyssey charting how a Shakespearean cast of regents, courtiers, and neo-con Cabalists-all with their own subterranean agend ...more
Julia
Jan 18, 2009 Julia rated it liked it
When I picked up this book, I didn't actually know who Maureen Dowd was, strangely enough. Years later, I've ready probably a hundred articles by her in the NYT's op-ed section. First I loved her and now I don't really like her very much as an author. But as someone who covered the White House both during the elder Bush and younger Bush years, it is a good explanation of exactly what lies were told to whom, why, and how that got us into a preposterous war in Iraq. And while I still wish that we' ...more
Paul Dinger
Jan 09, 2009 Paul Dinger rated it it was amazing
Maureen Dowd is one of the most interesting and informative, not to mention witty columnists at the New York times. This book about both Bush adminstrations somehow is more than just a study, she seems to have the inside scoop on how their brains work. This has led to more than one politico to say, "YOu really got their number, you understand them better than anyone."(it was Zsell, the democratic senator that acutally gave the key note speech for the 2004 Republican convention. Someday historian ...more
Wade
Apr 19, 2008 Wade rated it it was amazing
This is an organized collection of Maureen Dowd's columns, as originally published in the NYT. After four to nine year, only a few of the columns don't hold up.

I read many of them as they appeared. I knew Bush was lying us into a war. My children knew that Bush was lying us into a war. My friends and my children's friends knew that Bush was lying us into a war. Maureen Dowd knew that Bush was lying us into a war. So why are we in Iraq?

Sequoia
May 20, 2009 Sequoia rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! Maureen Dowd validated many theories I had regarding the Bushwhacked administration. The comic relief angle to her accounts as a columnist helped one to get through the obscene injustices committed by the Bush administration. I hope her work will be revisited to help prosecute the buggers!
Monica
Nov 06, 2007 Monica marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, essays
I'm not as consistently pleased with Mo's op-ed columns as I used to be partly because I don't find the political situation is as funny as its made out to be. I find myself annoyed when she knocks Hilary when she should be knocking Mitt, Huckabee and all the other republican a-holes instead..
Amy Wolf
Feb 06, 2013 Amy Wolf rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. Dowd never had a better subject than W., and she lets loose in a series of essays taken from her NY TIMES column. She hits home so many time it almost takes your breath away. Even the cover illustration is worth a chuckle!
Erica
Jul 09, 2007 Erica rated it really liked it
Maureen Dowd takes you into the psychological aspects of the Bush Administration and shows you how decisions are made from Oedipal complexes. She is hysterical and brilliant. You won't get bored from this type of political writing!
Matt
I remember reading this right around when it came out, and right around when I started leaving my family's traditional conservatism for the left. I was at my most insufferable, and even then, I found this book to be a bit much.
Alyssa
Jul 09, 2009 Alyssa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will give Maureen Dowd credit for being witty, but this book was at least 300 pages too long. Maybe her subject was bad (mind you I don't mind a good Bush bashing) but after awhile i didn't care anymore. It took everything i had to finish this.
David Grapka
Jun 14, 2009 David Grapka rated it it was amazing
Dowd's insights into the Bush administration's thinking (an oxymoron to be sure) were both prophetic, illuminating, and shocking. She made the insufferable idiocy of the former president more palatable with her satire and advanced vocabulary. Have a dictionary handy while you read this one!
Chris
Feb 05, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
Great Book.
James Brandtjen
Oct 03, 2015 James Brandtjen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny. Biased. Not entirely fair towed bushs motivations.
Keith Davis
Nov 26, 2009 Keith Davis rated it liked it
Oddly, it seems at times that Dowd was slightly charmed by Bush. This fact does not stop her from pointing out the colossal train wreck of the Bush administration though.
Meghanjmiller
got a kick out of this back in the day
Lou
Jan 25, 2008 Lou rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
too much!
Ben
Dec 28, 2010 Ben rated it liked it
Shelves: salem-years
I thought this was pretty funny up to a point. I think Dowd is a clever and creative columnist, but I think she starts to grate on me after a while.
Steve
Jan 31, 2014 Steve added it
The New York Times columnist gives her assessment of the Bush years, as they were happening.
Jon
Mar 31, 2011 Jon rated it did not like it
I got the impression that the point of this book was to make more obscure references than a Dennis Miller routine. Unreadable.
  • Bushwhacked: Life in George W. Bush's America
  • The Family: The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty
  • Thanks for the Memories, Mr. President: Wit and Wisdom from the Front Row at the White House
  • Thieves in High Places: They've Stolen Our Country and It's Time to Take It Back
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush
  • Losing America: Confronting a Reckless and Arrogant Presidency
  • Fortunate Son: George W. Bush and the Making of an American President
  • House of Bush, House of Saud: The Secret Relationship Between the World's Two Most Powerful Dynasties
  • American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune and the Politics of Deceit in the House of Bush
  • What Every American Should Know About Who's Really Running the World
  • Armed Madhouse: From Baghdad to New Orleans--Sordid Secrets and Strange Tales of a White House Gone Wild
  • Reason: Why Liberals Will Win the Battle for America
  • Memo to the President Elect: How We Can Restore America's Reputation and Leadership
  • Homo Politicus: The Strange and Barbaric Tribes of the Beltway
  • Take It Back: A Battle Plan for Democratic Victory
  • The Problem of the Media: U.S. Communication Politics in the Twenty-First Century
  • To Renew America
Maureen Dowd is a Washington D.C.-based columnist for The New York Times. She has worked for the Times since 1983, when she joined as a metropolitan reporter. In 1999, she was awarded a Pulitzer Prize for her series of columns on the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

Dowd's columns are distinguished by an acerbic, often polemical writing style. Her columns often display a critical attitude towards powerful
More about Maureen Dowd...