Start by marking “Seven Patients” as Want to Read:
Seven Patients

Seven Patients

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  1,026 ratings  ·  160 reviews
NOTE: This is a work of fiction. It is not intended for the faint of heart. The stories are extreme and the descriptions graphic.

Patients come and go, but some leave behind a memory so intense that it cannot be erased.

Third year medical student Raj Mok quickly learns that patients don’t behave like his beloved medical texts led him to believe.

The seven most outrageous pati
Published May 23rd 2012 by Telemachus Press

To ask other readers questions about Seven Patients, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Patients

Susan
Aug 04, 2012 Susan rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Masochists
I absolutely hate to write a review of a book that is this disappointing, but it seems only the honest thing to do and what might best help other readers make a decision on what to read, especially considering the glowing five star reviews I've seen. Truthfully I think some of them may be a bit suspect given the quality of this book. It simply cries out for a good editor - or any editor - as for example the idea of getting prepared for rounds is explained three times in just the first third of t ...more
Noran Miss Pumkin
The stories, about seven patients by a medical student. Are they real or based on experience-we are not told. I would have to say they are written by someone in the medical world, who has gotten their hands dirty. Not a paper pusher or office manager. The writing and editing are 2-3 stars, but the content is 4-5 stars. Margaret Mary Mabel or was it Mary Mable Margaret? The demented gomer that calls out for Abigail. Who is she? Does Duane's MILF wife stay by his side, though he will be a veggie? ...more
Anand
Fantastic! Fantastic!

I want to keep saying this more but will restraint myself. Is this fiction? Non-fiction? Whatever this is, it is an absoute beauty. This can be a medical thriller, a book on growing up, musings on life and philosophy; it can be each one of them in its own right. This novel shot out from the dark like a bolt. Had never heard of the author, had almost zero expectations, and started reading it only because I had nothing else to read. But, am I not glad I did.

The story is about
Missy LaRae
I used to be a cop. The beginning of this book seemed promising. Like the first page or two, but as soon as the detective showed up on the scene and there was dialogue I knew absolutely ZERO effort had been made to research police procedures, and the conversation in this book was laughable.

First off - I do not care how old the "suspects" looked. If they appeared to be minors NO cop would risk potentially blowing a case by not reading them their miranda rights, and having the interview video tap
Grace Elliot
I was on holiday and so thought to broaden out my reading tastes. I saw this book as a freebie and thought "What have I got to lose?"
(In truth the answer was 'my dinner' but more of this later.)
Firstly, let me say I'm so glad I read this book. I started reading and couldn't put it down. If anything the weakest chapter is the first, so if you like the sample - buy the book.
'Seven Patients' is clever on so many different levels. I especially enjoyed Raje's descent (ah, or is it an ascent?) into i
Tarissa
I found 'Seven Patients' to be an utterly amazing piece of work. I was enthralled in the medical jargon, gasping at the events that transpired and the diseases bared by the patients. This book is an incredible journey.

So, how could I give it only a 1 star rating? -- The author used vulgar language throughout, which completely degraded the entire book for me.

However, I loved it still, because the author seems so knowledgeable of the medical field. I added much to my personal vocabulary after rea
Shadira
Feb 06, 2013 Shadira rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: if you work in the medical field
Shelves: medical-thriller
A page turning medical thriller,I would recommend this book to readers who work in the medical field.
It's entertaining and also with the question how far would a doctor go when it comes to their patient-doctor relationship??!!,very thought provoking as well.I enjoyed reading this on my Kindle,although they are little flaws here and there in the book,the storyline just keeps you wanting more.
They were vivid descriptions of the characters,and there's definitions for the medical terminology,which m
Melissa
Well, SOMEONE has read House of God... This book is very similar to House of God but not nearly as well written, seems self published without the benefit of an editor and pissed me off quite a bit. There was nurse insulting and I find that very offensive, I am a nurse. That being said, medical students do not give orders and they certainly have no legal right to write an order. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess this author was put in his place at some point by a nurse and that's the m ...more
Jim
Raj is a third year medical student doing his rotations at a teaching hospital in So. California. As he moves through ICU, ER, surgery, etc. he encounters many patients but seven that have the greatest impact on his career choice. This more a case history of several patients than a real insight into Raj's soul. If you like intense medical TV shows you will probably enjoy this book more than I did. The author seemed very intent on impressing the reader with his knowledge of medical procedures, un ...more
Debbie Young
A Med Student's Tale

A Med Student's Tale

This is an interesting narrative by a medical student during 3rd year rotations. Being interested in medicine I enjoyed this book.

There were numerous mis-spellings and grammar issues but it was easy enough to read through them.

Be warned...some of the descriptions are quite graphic and may be disturbing to some readers.
Ash
May 05, 2013 Ash rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who can get it for free or a heavily discounted price
This book was a fun read if you take it with a grain of salt. This is fiction so it all comes from the imagination of the author. I did download this from the Kindle Lenders library thinking it was an account from an actual intern of life in an ER but once I began to read it I realized it was actually Fiction. Once I was able to discern the credibility of the events and just enjoy some great stories, then the read was easy to comprehend.

The prose was okay and the writing was so so, it read much
Atul Kumar
A great light hearted read delving into the nuiances of modern medicine. We see why an innocent medical student, Raj, get transformed into someone who is easily of doing the exact opposite of what his training is supposed to be about.

While the book does technically contain 'seven' patients, they are all wound together in a complex story that takes the reader through a tour of what medicine is like from the eyes of a student and his practicing seniors, all the way from interns to professors of me
Jeanne Johnston
I work in acute care and clearly need to broaden my horizons in my off hours, but I find myself wondering who else would really read this. It's not written for people who don't grok the terminology, unless they actually enjoy flipping to the dictionary every few lines. Honestly, the dictionary entries threw me, too. I didn't understand when I came across the first underlined word and wasted 15 minutes trying to figure it out. Had my prefs reset themselves? I turned off the ones that show highlig ...more
Linda
Many typos and repetitions.

Rajen Mok is a medical student who seems to be in control of many situations that he should not be in control of. His superiors seem to just hand him the reins and he does whatever he wants. Don't think I would want to be in this hospital.

The Seven Patients that Raj takes care of have an array of problems, ranging from just getting old to AIDS. He seems to have a good bedside manner as he takes care of those who will die no matter what and those who may need or want a
Caroline
In his first year of clinical medicine, 3rd year medical student Raj shares his fears, excitement and tiredness with us. The world of practicing medicine is a far cry from the dry medical textbooks, as he experiences with seven patients he works most closely with.

From the ER to the ICU, the trauma suffered by some of the patients are real and horrific. Definitely not a read for anyone squeamish by graphic descriptions of medical procedures and results of diseases and infections on patients. The
Justin Record
This book wasn't bad, I actually loved the premise and the different aspects of it, but what it REALLY REALLY needs is an editor. With an editor it could truly be a great book. The writing was good, the basic plot was also very good and the story develops well, but there were grammatical errors scattered throughout. There were also spots where I could just barely understand what the point was you were trying to get across.
Karen
Seven Patients by Atul Kumar is a medical thriller narrated by Raj Mok, a third-year medical student who is learning at a hospital. This is a work of fiction, kind of like a hospital TV show with a lot of drama and extreme cases. Basically, it's a collect of hospital horror stories. I found it to be entertaining and thought provoking. Doctors have a lot of power! I read this on on my Kindle and it had a lot of medical terms that I was unfamiliar with which became a bit annoying; however, the ter ...more
Danny
People work very hard to produce novels and the one I would write would be worse than this one, but that's as nice as I can be. This book is pretty bad. I'm not sure if the author went to med school or did a residency or just googled "Stereotypical bad hospital stuff," "stereotypical medical school stories," and "med school urban legends." It's like seeing a car wreck and writing the novel "look! A car wreck!" without knowing the first thing about cars and wrecks other than jargon and without an ...more
Billie
I can only hope this is not an accurate representation! A medical student chronicles is first days working the ER and ICU following different patients.

One patient is an obnoxious playboy found to have AIDS with an active sex life knowing full well he is infected. The medical student along with his superior make a decision I can only hope is fictitious,'

Another patient is a good looking, successful business man with a beautiful family. He comes in with a kidney stone and somehow contracts a flesh
Joanne
Well, certainly some of this is exaggerated and embellished I would imagine. Having said that, it was still enjoyable to read, especially to those who might have hospital experience. It's not about our medical system and it's not a treatise on ethics, just a collection of stories. No more no less.
Joan
Read more like a medical report than a series of stories. Jerky, uncomfortable writing and with little to redeem it. In places I felt I was actually being 'lectured' by the author, especially as so many medical terms were underlined (the author obviously thinks that most readers lack any reasonable intelligence. eg.. 'Doppler effect', 'intubate', even 'OR' !!!

Rajen came across as intensely smug, cocky and unpleasant at times. I just hope these stories were not based on real-life incidents.
Tessa
This book was mediocre. The writing was not very good, on par with a Dan Brown novel, as were the repetitive plot devices -- saying things like "little did I know..." on several occasions throughout the story did not add suspense but removed it entirely. Never once was I thinking about what could happen next, because it was all spelled out in a previous chapter. Even the supposed climax of the book was taken away, leaving me with a feeling of "Oh. Ok." when I finished the book. Nothing was learn ...more
Judie
SEVEN PATIENTS could have been a very good read. It had an interesting premise: Raj, a medical student, telling of his experiences during his hospital rotation. He was assigned to several units during that time (emergency, intensive care, surgery) and each chapter was about an unusual medical case he worked with in that particular unit. He provided a lot of information about what his schedule was like and the work that went on in those units.
Unfortunately, he seems to be on an ego trip. He tal
When I first started reading this book, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself in to. I knew it involved a hospital and doctors. To be honest, I didn't even read the summary before clicking download. I chose it solely based upon the cover. And might I say, it was a good choice.

Rajen Mok is a third year medical student starting his hospital rotations. He is the bottom of the totem pole as far as doctors are concerned. He thinks he will mostly spend his time watching from a corner, trying to stay
J&B Reviews
Decent insights into a medical students mind.

Decent insights into a medical students mind.

I enjoyed the insights of Raj our medical student and the mysterious cases and patients he encounters at a large teaching hospital. I also very much appreciated to medical glossary at the end of the book for definition of terms and anagrams I was not familiar with. I deducted 1star due to some continuity and minor grammar errors.
Kathi Defranc
I am a registered nurse and thought this may be an interesting read,however,parts of it are so out of reach and would never happen in any medical facility! There is a very fine line that all in the medical field walk,where we want our patients to feel their best,both physically and mentally,but you can not cross that line,ever...This author has an interesting way of telling the story,may be better at some other kind of book.
Julie
WHAT KIND OF ENDING IS THAT!!!

WHAT KIND OF ENDING IS THAT!!!

I hope to never end up in a hospital where med students and residents run around killing patients. This was obvious fiction and not very well written. There is no respect for nurses who are not even acknowledged. The ending was just dreadful. Thankfully I didn't pay for this book. It was quite disturbing.

Marianne White
Couldn't wait to finish

I was thoroughly enamoured of this book. I was transported into the life of a medical student and did not want to get out. The writing was simple and easy to understand, with pains taken for the commoner to feel comfortable around the terminology. Each chapter was a new adventure to experience. I recommend you read this book.
Christine Lujan-Hodges
Very interesting read....

Very interesting read....

I gave this book the highest rating because I learned so much from the author.
I am keeping this one close by in case I need to make reference to the handy dandy list of medical terms.
If you're wondering what happens at a teaching hospital, this book could put your mind to rest.
Enjoy!!!
Dawn shirk
Page Turner

Page Turner

Story was written well, very suspenseful. The only issue is that whoever did the editing did a terrible job. in the first chapter the character Josephine's name is spelled two different ways. And in chapter five, the characters Jacob and Jack are mixed up, they refer to Jacob when it should have been Jack.
  • Project Moses (Enzo Lee Mystery, #1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Covert Reich
  • Liquid Lies
  • The Volunteer
  • Accountable to None (Eviscerating the Snake, #1)
  • Silent Counsel
  • Unauthorized Access
  • No Good Deed (Mark Taylor, #1)
  • Strictly Analog
  • Sector C
  • Embryo
  • Dire Means
  • The Devil's Deep
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Just Evil (Evil Secrets Trilogy, #1)
  • Stigma
  • Forever Is Over
Siete Pacientes Oracle Identity and Access Manager 11g for Administrators Oracle Identity And Access Manager 11g For Administrators

“politics, where what is stated is not necessarily what was actually said.” 0 likes