Start by marking “Spill Over” as Want to Read:
Spill Over

Spill Over

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  427 ratings  ·  56 reviews
"I'm not in New York.
I'm friends with a girl.
I'm living on a boat... with my dad...
At this point, I figure anything's possible."

When an assignment overseas gives Antony's Mom the opportunity of a lifetime, she sees it as a chance for Antony to get to know his dad - a guy strange enough to live on a boat. Near dreary Seattle. Antony’s sure that the next few months will feel
Published July 11th 2012 by Next Door Publishing

Easy by Tammara WebberBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireSlammed by Colleen HooverPoint of Retreat by Colleen HooverThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
How I Spent Summer 2012
124th out of 223 books — 165 voters
Fire Kissed by Erin KellisonShadow of Night by Deborah HarknessEndlessly by Kiersten WhiteParish Secrets by Megan WhiteSomething Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
Best Books of July 2012
70th out of 94 books — 193 voters

More lists with this book...

Autumn Review
This is my first book by Jolene Perry. It was recommended to me by a good author friend, who thought I would like Jolene's work. Well, she was right! The blurb does a great job of explaining what the story is about, so I'm going to focus on the characters.

I'll be honest, when you first meet Antony, he seems like he's a spoiled kid who takes advantage of the fact that he's lead a privileged life. Really though, he's just a good guy. I truly loved the relationship he had with his mother. They wer
Joanna
I love this book. Yeah. As simple as that.

This book makes me want to start crying and feel lonely. It's like shredding your heart because you can't take it that you've lost someone forever.

"The apartment’s mine. The car’s mine. It’s all mine. I feel the way I knew I would. I don’t want any of it. I want Mom."

First of all, being in Antony's head is really making me crazy! All that pain that he keeps pushing away because he can't deal with it is just too much to take. I can't imagine losing some
Jolene Perry
I've spent a lot of time sailing on the ocean, and felt like it HAD to be part of one of my books. I adore Antony to pieces, but being on a sailboat for him wasn't nearly as fun as it is for me.

I'll just do my quote thing:

I know what to do with girls who smile through thick lashes and bit their lip. I don't know what to do with girls who wear running shoes, faded jeans, and read on kindles.

"Please call me later on, okay?" I ask. I'm completely pathetic. Just like a girl. Please call me, don't fo
Savannah (Books With Bite)
I needed a good emotional read before the craziness of the holidays and this book just did the trick.
Once again, Jolene Perry quiets the voice inside me burning for a good read that is intense yet real. It's one of those books that when you begin reading, you know will change you.

I loved the plot. It had many plot turns and twists that I can say caught me off guard. I even cried, way more than I expected too, but that okay. A good book that can bring up that much emotion in me is what I read for
★Ruth★
This was my first Jolene Perry book and it definitely wont be my last.

I was not expecting what I got, I hadn't really read the blurb or many reviews and am glad I didn't cause I was really surprised by the "tragedy".

This is not your run of the mill YA cutesy romance, though that is in there too. It deals with an issue that I personally am lucky enough to have not experienced yet but will inevitably come in time.

At first I really didn't like Antony, being in his head wasn't the nicest place to be
Amy
I LOVED this book. I had a hard time putting it down. I loved that the main character was a boy and struggling with his emotions and growth as a person in a relationship...his ability to see how much he wanted to change himself because of what he really wanted. I loved this. I LOVED Antony and Amber--her innocence and honesty. I LOVED Antony's father because he was a casual father figure who seemed to just *know* how to father an 18 year old boy for the first time. I wonder how that would go ove ...more
Dani Morales
I think Antony was amazing. Though he had to face heartbreak to realize the potential he had in not only being a writer, but in also growing to be someone better than who he was. I fell in love with him immediately and was glad to read the book and watch him grow in the short time, the only thing I didn't like about the book is the sudden ending. I wish it could have continued and explored the relationship that came of Antony and Amber...

Once again Joleen Perry put an awesome book out there and
WARNING---This book contains lots of swearing. I stopped reading when the F word was used. I did like the premise but I wish there was a content warning. (so I made one).
Andrea
The language was a big turn off. The book had a lot of promise, so this was disappointing.
Juhina
4.5/5 stars

By now you should know that any book I read by Jolene Perry is going to be fantastic, and Spill Over is no exception. Spill Over is told from a male POV and I usually have a problem with that but not when it comes to Perry. This is the second book by her I read that has a male POV (Night Sky being the first) and I loved every single page of it! Jolene always excels in making her characters dynamic, real, and just full of life and emotions that you instantly fall in love with them.

Her
Lisa
Spill Over was a very cute and relatively clean YA Romance. It hooked me in the beginning with the quick dose of conflict provided by Antony being forced to live temporarily with his father while his mother was working overseas. It was soon followed by tragedy and a young man’s path to finding himself and what is really important in life.

In the beginning, Antony came off as a spoiled, selfish, city boy. He was not all that kind to his father but I understood that to an extent because they had no
Anne Pfeffer
It's been a while since I've liked a book enough to review it. Spill Over got me off my duff in a hurry. I LOVED THIS BOOK! I suggest you read it immediately! In Spill Over, Antony is a player, a slick New York boy with a famous journalist mother. When she gets an assignment in a dangerous part of the world, she ships him off to live in a houseboat with the dad he barely knows. There he meets Amber, a girl from a very different background, and Amber, of course, is his undoing.

I loved being in An
Michael Burhans
This book surprised me in a couple of ways. first off, it was not at all what I expected. Not sure what I expected, but this wasn't it. Secondly it was so very different than Knee Deep or My Heart For Yours, but in a good way.

I guess I expected something a little lighter this time, but once again I got a book with some real depth and meat to sink your teeth into. Ms. Perry continues to surprise, how she can weld a touching romance into explorations of some the worst parts of life (death, abuse
Chantele Sedgwick
I really enjoyed this one. Jolene writes a boy POV VERY well. It was so emotional being in Antony's head. He lost so much. Heartbreaking, but very real.

I LOVED how the story unfolded and how much Antony changed throughout the book.

I loved the love story. Amber was awesome and REAL. She had Antony wrapped around her little finger before he knew what was happening. It's amazing how one girl can change a boy like that. ;)

Overall, an awesome story. I love Jolene and her books. My favorite is still
Gabic Reads
Original review at Gabic Reads

Let me start this out with Antony got on my nerves. A lot. He had his moments, but for the most part he was a jerk and not very likable. And while I liked Amber well enough, she too got on my nerves often. Antony's parents were enjoyable though and I felt they had a good back story. Spill Over never really caught my attention though. I could easily put it down for several days and not mind at all.
John Clark
Antony has it pretty good. He's home-schooled, lives in a nice apartment in Manhattan and often gets to travel around the globe when his mother is on a reporting assignment for NBC. When she tells him her next one is too dangerous for him to accompany her, he does his best to talk her out of sending him to live on a houseboat in Seattle with his father. No luck, so off to the west coast he goes, dreading the change. His dad writes quick-read novels, but has never been as successful as Antony's m ...more
Laura YA indie princess
I'm a massive Jolene Perry fan and love all her books so I couldn't wait for Spill Over all that being said I really don't like books told from only a guy's POV but Jolene Perry did the unthinkable she made me LOVE a book told from the guy's pov and I just couldn't stop reading. I love the characters the pace is perfect and pulls you in to the story line. I did see a few things happening before they did but it didn't take away from the story. I can't wait for her next book.
Damali
The writing level for this was very grade school. I used to watch the old "Tammy" films, about an unsophisticated country girl living on a houseboat, and I thought it would be interesting to read about a spoiled kid from New York being forced to live on a houseboat with his dad all summer. But, sadly, the characters and everything else fell flat. And I wouldn't even recommend it for pre-teens, because it has drugs and sex in it.
Tobi Summers
This book was fantastic. I was reduced to a pile of mush by the middle, and I haven't had such an emotional work out in awhile. But amidst all the sadness was a happier thread, a hopeful one, and it really made the pay-off at the end worth every minute. This is the first of Jolene Perry's books I've read, but I'm already on my way to reading the second. I highly recommend it.
Lindsay
Wow.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I bought this book. After reading the description, I thought it sounded decent. But I wasn't prepared for the emotional roller coaster I went on.

The author had me in hears throughout the book and I was quite impressed with the book.
Kyra
More excellence from Jolene Perry!
Kimi
Another great story by Jolene B. Perry.
The Sweet Bookshelf
I had no idea what this book was about when I bought it. I didn't even read the summary. Crazy? Nope. I'll read anything by author Jolene Perry. I don't need to know what it's about.

I was pleasantly surprised that this is a male POV. I love a male POV! I want it to be the new trend. It's so different and I love being in the guys head. I'm a girl and I already know how girls think. I like to pretend I'm in the guys head and see things in a different way. It's awesome! Antony exudes coolness. I'm
Anastasiya
I have very mixed feelings about this book.

On one hand - I could feel the grief. Good development of father-son bond. The rocky beginning of a beautiful friendship strong relationship.

On the other - There is a clear split in the book.
Part 1 aka Before
- Solid and interesting. Somewhat predictable drama to set the plot moving (I knew right away what goes down, not many options there really).
Part 2 aka After, aka In comes Helena
- Also known as The Great Divide. I had a What happened? moment - and
Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream

Spill Over by Jolene Perry is a great book for young adults. Told from Antony's point of view, Spill Over is an honest, heartfelt story about loss, love, and growing up. Antony's character will capture readers hearts. His struggles are realistic and heartbreaking. I definitely teared up a few times while reading about his emotional journey. Spill Over was a little bit younger than the books that I typically read,
Sayjil
This is my second book of Perry’s that she didn’t happen to co-write. I read Dizzy and Out of Play which were 4 star material. The prose was good and the plot very chick-lit. Its more of….a light read. The type of books you pass time with. It won’t make you angry or sad, just light and I guess keep you in a good mood.
After reading her co-written books, I thought I’d take a chance with fallen. It was mild. I hated Craig. I didn’t like Dana. She was willingly having an affair with a married guy w
Jess
Jun 01, 2013 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: i-own, arc
This book came unexpected. It came along with another one of Jolene Perry's books and I'm so happy I got it.
Antony is a rich spoiled 17 year old who has traveled the world with his mom who is a famous news reporter. Even though Antony has everything and can have pretty much anything he still seems mellow and cool (not a snob). His mom gets an assignment in Africa for 3 months and isn't taking Antony. Instead she is sending him to his dad's in Washington who lives on a boat. As you can imagine h
Radiant
Antony never believed her mother would send him to spend time with his father while she went to africa for assignment..on a BOAT?Now that's ridiculous and all antony want is to run away.

When he reaches he tries to settle but its difficult than he thought..but the little distraction- Amber- the girl who's mother his father is crushing on-(weird right?)tries to help him a little bit.. and he starts to fall for her.

But when her mother's sudden death news reach him Antony is devastated..hes lost and
M.J. Fifield
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS A MAJOR SPOILER. Overall, I liked this novel. I wasn’t thrilled with the ending but I really enjoyed the rest of the story. Antony was a character I wasn’t sure about. I didn’t like him— I didn’t not like him either— I was just undecided about him. But he had an interesting voice that got much more interesting when his mother dies. The scene where he’s back in the New York apartment, in his mother’s room, was particularly well done and really made me feel for him. It was emo ...more
Buonaraya
Sep 07, 2014 Buonaraya added it
Shelves: dnf
Spoiled, vain guy who couldn't muster up enough emotion when tragedy hit. DNF.
1st Period Langua...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Rose's book #3 4 6 May 12, 2014 07:39PM
  • 10 Weeks
  • Freeing Carter
  • The Unloved
  • My Forever (Next Door Boys - companion)
  • Forgiving Trinity
  • Forever Changed
  • My Heart for Yours (Crawford, #1)
  • Embracing You, Embracing Me
  • Snapshot (The Jamieson Collection, #2)
  • Move
  • How To Heal a Broken Heart
  • Game On
  • Dante's Girl (The Paradise Diaries, #1)
  • Reaction (Reflection, #2)
  • Fearless
I wear juvenile T-shirts, worn-out chucks, and eat too much chocolate. I write. A lot. I make up words, drink Shirley Temples, and suffocate a little without my iPod.

Also.
I only rate books I loved.
More about Jolene Perry...
The Summer I Found You Falling Knee Deep Night Sky Insight (Shadows, #1)

“Every experience is a once in a lifetime experience, because no matter how hard we try, nothing's ever exactly the same as it was the first time” 4 likes