Start by marking “Paving the New Road (Rowland Sinclair #04)” as Want to Read:
Paving the New Road (Rowland Sinclair #04)

Paving the New Road (Rowland Sinclair #4)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  14 reviews
It’s 1933, and the political landscape of Europe is darkening.

Eric Campbell, the man who would be Australia’s Führer, is on a fascist tour of the Continent, meeting dictators over cocktails and seeking allegiances in a common cause. Yet the Australian way of life is not undefended. Old enemies have united to undermine Campbell’s ambitions. The clandestine armies of the Est
Published August 1st 2012 by Pantera Press

To ask other readers questions about Paving the New Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paving the New Road

Romi
Thank you to Pantera Press for this review copy!

This is an absolutely smashing addition to the Rowland Sinclair series. Perhaps not my favourite, but for what it's done for the plot, the characters, the places it went (the level of violence it heightened things to, and with that the level of suspense) it has made for one of the most brilliant novels in the series. It just did so much, and did it awfully well.
Karen
The reader of my reviews will know I've become a bit of a fan of the Rowland Sinclair series (which is quite surprising for somebody who normally prefers to lurk deep on the dark side), so PAVING THE NEW ROAD was a welcome arrival. Basing the story in 1933, sending Sinclair and his companions to Germany all sounded rather interesting. Although I will confess that one of my pet peeves - the inclusion of high profile real-life figures in fiction - made me somewhat nervous. Having said that, if you ...more
Angela Savage
After ending my crime-free reading month with Anna Funder's All That I Am, Sulari Gentill's latest Rowland Sinclair novel, Paving the New Road, set in the same era, was the perfect segue back into crime fiction.

The year is 1933 and Hitler's Nazi government is consolidating its hold on power, imprisoning socialists, trade unionists and avante garde artists who work is considered 'degenerate'. Public book burnings are held to purge the shelves of 'un-German' works by Marxists, pacifists, Jews and
Anita
Book number four and I have enjoyed this one as much as the first three. A little better perhaps. There is so much to research throughout the book as it loosely uses fact around the fiction and each book has a few genuine characters that invite further reading. The timeline is interesting and has kept me thinking and referring back to my old books on the pre war period in Germany. A great story apart from all of that and Rowland and his mates are now a part of the family in my head and I look fo ...more
Karren
This is the 4th in this wonderfully, entertaining Rowland Sinclair series. I really enjoyed it
Allison Adriansz
Another enjoyable Rowland Sinclair story. I'm just devouring these books!
Jan Farndale
Love it!! Once again I read it in one sitting..I just couldn't put it down.
Diane
Loved it! Sulari has a great gift of weaving fact and fiction together this time in pre-World War II Germany. I live how the real life characters and the fictional blend so well together. Only have one book to go...number 5: Men Formerly Dressed. Then what!!
Gail
Why has no-one introduced me to Rowland Sinclair before? This was a random selection from the library and I loved it. I enjoyed the history, the Australian connection, the banter....an really easy book to read with a credible crime plot.
now to go back and find book #1.

Enjoy.
Jane
Its 1933 and Rowlley and his crew are off to Germany to prevent Campbell meeting Hitler and bringing his foul fascism to Australia! Quite an exercise and one that makes the story slow and laborious.
The characters seem stuck, they just don't grow or am I just sick of them! !!
KateFromAllGoodBookStore
another great Rowley Sinclair adventure full of great twists and turns as we have come to expect! The historical detail is fantastic - I found the Germany/Austria of 1933 a very unsettling time to be in (as it should be) and it's a testament to Sulari's writing skill.
Kate
Peter
Love the historical detail - might have to do some more reading about the time - 1930's Australia. The book has me intrigued.
Barry
Fanciful but fun plot. The characters remain likeable, which is the key to a series like this.
Ashleigh
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Debra Parnell
Debra Parnell marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Neville Wheaton
Neville Wheaton marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Mrsniamhgriffin
Mrsniamhgriffin marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Denise
Denise added it
Nov 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Rowland Sinclair (5 books)
  • A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair #01)
  • A Decline in Prophets (Rowland Sinclair #02)
  • Miles Off Course (Rowland Sinclair #03)
  • Gentlemen Formerly Dressed (Rowland Sinclair, #05)
A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair #01) A Decline in Prophets (Rowland Sinclair #02) Chasing Odysseus (Hero Trilogy, #1) Miles Off Course (Rowland Sinclair #03) Gentlemen Formerly Dressed (Rowland Sinclair, #05)