Start by marking “Love Poems by Women: An Anthology of Poetry from Around the World and Through the Ages” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
For over 2,000 years women have been writing love poetry. Here is the first anthology of love poems written only by women. Poets from all ages and all parts of the world, expressing love not only for their male and female lovers, but for parents, children, friends, for art, God, nature, and homeland, are collected here, and include the works of: Sappho, Emily Dickenson, On ...more
Published January 16th 1991 by Ballantine Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Love Poems by Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Poems by Women

Randy
Dec 30, 2009 Randy rated it liked it
The range of selection is wide (from Sappho to Sexton and beyond). But, sorry, my overall impression is lukewarm. The book is organized by themes in an attempt, I think, to give it some impact. But this, I think, makes it seem a bit more scattered. I carried this suspicion throughout that the poems were selected at times for their ability to fit into a particular chapter not because they were the best love poems the authors had to offer. That is the hardship, I suppose, of crafting an anthology. ...more
Valerie
Jul 18, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is one of the best poetry anthologies in my collection. Be warned though, it is not uplifting. It seems that when women write poetry about love they do not wax poetic about their lover's physical beauty or prowess, instead they write poems about all of the ways love can go wrong. There are about 350 poems in this collection, and I think they might have just scratched the surface.
James
Dec 12, 2009 James rated it liked it
Some fabulous ones, some that didn't do much for me. A nice collection overall.
J.M.
Jun 24, 2009 J.M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: keepers, poetry
Funny story: my mother bought this for me while I was in college and, almost at the exact time she was in the story purchasing it, I was in a bookstore miles away looking at the women's section when this book fell off the shelf and into my hands. So apparently I was meant to have this book.

It's a very good collection of poems, most I've never read elsewhere, all love stories of varying degrees. My absolute favorite in this collection is "On the Road to the Sea" by Charlotte Mew, with the lines:

"
Amber
Feb 04, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of a diverse group of women, from many different times, cultures, religions, sexualities, ages and races. This collection may not have the premiere poems of some poets, but it is full of poignant verses that I would have otherwise not discovered- which I believe to the one of the biggest pros of an anthology versus a single-author collection. Something I will definitely hold on to to read to my future daughters.
diane
Jul 31, 2007 diane rated it it was amazing
i don't generally get excited by anthologies, but this book is so thoughtfully edited. it's broken down thematically by stages of love, lust, heartbreak, etc.., while blurring the lines between all. the selections are excellent as well.
Jamie
Aug 29, 2007 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: poetry
favorite anthology of poetry to date
Maria Kinsman
Maria Kinsman marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Hollis
Hollis rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Clare Hollowell
Clare Hollowell rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Ashley Nestler
Ashley Nestler rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Rosa
Rosa added it
Jan 08, 2016
bridget
bridget rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Ivy
Ivy rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Cortney
Cortney marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Hugo L
Hugo L rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Genny
Genny marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Raquel Reyes-Lopez
Raquel Reyes-Lopez rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Judith
Judith rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Terranlyn Turner
Terranlyn Turner marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Ellice
Ellice added it
Mar 01, 2015
Rehmat
Rehmat rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015