Start by marking “Emerald Fire (Persis Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Emerald Fire (Persis Chronicles, #1)

Emerald Fire (Persis Chronicles #1)

The harsh desert world of Persis has developed its own customs far from Old Earth. Keepers are cherished as caregivers and helpmeets to Hunters. During Emerald Keeper Teeka's first Contract with Senior Hunter Brant, disaster strikes. Brant is killed and Teeka is stranded, surrounded by strangers, and unsure of who to trust. A dark and moody Hunter steps forward with an off ...more
Published May 30th 2012 by Torquere Press

To ask other readers questions about Emerald Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emerald Fire

Mandapanda
Jun 03, 2012 Mandapanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Wonderful m/m fantasy set in an evocative desert world. This story is about Teeka, a Keeper on his first Contract with a Hunter (Brant) who is savagely killed. To claim their stake of valuable gems Teeka has to return to the desert with Quill, a mysterious and dangerous Hunter who may know something about the murder.

The world of Persis has its origins firmly in the Bedouin culture of the Saharan Desert. The author takes us on a journey from the teeming and colourful tent city of Kotek to the har
Meggie
Jun 03, 2012 Meggie rated it it was amazing
I have to say it clearly, this story was TOO SHORT. I really would wish it was longer. Or maybe a sequel? That would be awesome for sure. The main storyline was well developed, party mysterious and romantic too.
I loved how the main tasks of Keepers and Hunters were described and shown. As I reader I could picture it all and I loved it. For both authors, really amazing written story. Great work! Even if I have to admit that the way it ended, it felt rushed.I really recommend this story to all m/m
PaperMoon
Jul 14, 2013 PaperMoon rated it really liked it
Humanity has taken to the skies and colonised planets galore; the planet Persis is just one of these planets – a harsh desert world whose wealth lies beneath the beautiful but treacherous sand. The citizens live under complex sociological mores and norms – which draws heavily from our earthly middle eastern and eastern traditions. Great attention is paid to each individual’s job/role, title, position, wealth, family background, artisan skills & training – as these could make or break a perso ...more
Nancy Lauzon
Dec 17, 2012 Nancy Lauzon rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
After Hunter Brant is killed by a sandboar, Keeper Teeka finds himself alone in the deserts of Persis, stranded and unsure whom to trust. He reluctantly teams up with the enigmatic Quill, a Hunter who seems equally capable of infuriating and intriguing Teeka at the same time. When they find themselves threatened by an unseen enemy, they must learn to trust each other.
I very much enjoyed this book by A. Catherine Noon and Rachel Wilder. Emerald Fire is a well-written fantasy that draws you into
Kimberley Troutte
Dec 12, 2012 Kimberley Troutte rated it it was amazing
Great story!
I haven't read many m/m stories, but this one was fantastic. The world building is unique and familiar at the same time. Emerald Fire has the feel of prospector life during the California Gold Rush of 1849 in California yet it is set in a harsh and dangerous desert. The wicked winds and deadly animals can kill a man if he isn't careful. And these prospectors, or Hunters, are liable to work themselves to death unless a Keeper takes care of them. It may be a contract, but it is also a
Andrea
Jun 04, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
The first thing I have to say about this book is that the world building is fantastic. It’s so descriptive and imaginative that I had no problems getting into or picturing it. I did have some problems figuring out the roles in society. I don’t think I ever fully understood how Keepers and Hunters would fit into their world. I eventually had to stop trying to figure it out and just go with it.

I really enjoyed Teeka and Quill. Teeka was sweet, nurturing and lovable. Quill was solitary, quiet and m
P.G.
Dec 01, 2012 P.G. rated it it was amazing
With its two suns, its deadly winds and the mysterious stones that can supply its inhabitants with many of their needs, the desert world of Persis is a fascinating place. Inhabited by the descendents of the original settlers, who’d traveled here from Old Earth, the culture of Persis is both familiar and breathtakingly new.

Emerald Firs is the story of Teeka, a Keeper from the prestigious Emerald Keep, who has just lost his first Contract. Brant, the Hunter with whom Teeka was involved, was kille
Selena Robins
Dec 02, 2012 Selena Robins rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read by Catherine Noon and Rachel Wilder and it won't be my last from this talented team. It was also the first time I read a book with these fantasy elements, and my first M/M story and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Emerald Fire captures the essence of the time period (1840's Gold Rush) in California and the reader is transplanted into the dangerous wold, filled with harsh weather, villains and dangerous animals.

The world building was written in a realistic manner, and the aut
Sasha
Sep 04, 2013 Sasha rated it really liked it
This started out very well and I would love to know more about how this culture came to be. This book takes place over the course of two weeks, a majority of it is spent in a tent. I hope there is a sequel with more going on.
Summerfly
Mar 18, 2014 Summerfly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fantasy
Morwen
Dec 19, 2014 Morwen rated it it was amazing
I feel terrible for not having read this sooner, but I am so very glad I finally did sit down and read Emerald Fire.

From the very beginning, Ms Noon and Ms. Wilder immersed me in their world of Persis, with its customs that are familiar and yet refreshingly new. The society is complex and rich, and the authors possess a rare talent for letting the reader feel at home without resorting to tedious exposition. Instead, Teeka acquaints us with his world so naturally that it seems perfectly real.

Tha
sk B
Sep 14, 2013 sk B added it
Its a good book with albeit flawed yet solid world building.

My biggest pet peeve with the world the author built was the fact that although the place is supposed to be some sort of colonized planet,but and the people that have amazing technology(like shielded tents O2->H20 units), the place seemed to lack pretty standard technology like gps and satelite image maps.

For example, Teeka asks Quill how far the sand dunes extend, and is given the answer 'no one knows and no one has ever come back'
Sarina
Dec 08, 2014 Sarina rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-to-read
I forgot how much I enjoyed this book until re-reading it. Set at some point in the future on a desert world, this story revolves around Teeka, a Keeper, and Quill, a hunter as they navigate both working together and a budding relationship. There were secrets, murder and love all wrapped up in this sci-fi-ish tale and I loved it. I found myself interested in both the world as well as the characters and I wanted more! That's really my only complaint about it; I finished it too quickly. While not ...more
Ladypessi
Really good book with a fascinating world, interesting story and funny characters.
I would have given it 4 stars were it not for the ending. It was just too abrupt and many things were left unclear, so it diminished my enjoyment of the book since I was waiting for some explanations for a couple of things. It was annoying that many things were just left hanging.
But I still can say it was a very good book and worth reading.
3,5 stars.
Tj
Dec 13, 2014 Tj rated it really liked it
Shelves: have, read-2015
I really enjoyed this book. I thought the characters interesting. I loved that there were definite flaws in the characters. The world that is created is detailed and at times hard to follow but fascinating. The "mystery" bad guys was a bit too obvious but still a fun and enjoyable read.
Marsha Spence
Jun 01, 2012 Marsha Spence rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I really enjoyed this. Teeka was strong and I like the world building.

Reread: Just as enjoyable the 2nd time around!
Misty

** 4.5 Stars **

What a fantastic and very imaginative world building! It felt so tangible and real. I'm very excited to see that there's going to be a sequel!
Kristy Maitz
Jun 01, 2012 Kristy Maitz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
Cool book. Story plot is full and reading goes fast. At the end I could not believe its over. How sad, maybe we will get more?
Gwendolyn
Sep 22, 2013 Gwendolyn rated it liked it
3.5ish. Really liked the main character. Would have been a four but the ending felt very rushed. One of those books where the author hit their word limit and had to wrap it up fast.
Cap'n Muchiko
Cap'n Muchiko rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2014
Elf
Elf rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Laura rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Catherinen
Catherinen rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Ren Stjerne
Ren Stjerne rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Filipa
Filipa rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Nijin
Nijin rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2012
Lada
Lada rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2012
K
Dec 13, 2014 K marked it as lurking-in-kindleland
Torquere 12 days of Christmas freebie 13.12.14
Claudia Luis
Claudia Luis rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Emerald Fire - A Catherine Noon & Rachel Wilder 1 8 Jan 29, 2014 06:47PM
  • The Recalling of John Arrowsmith (A Strange Place in Time, #1)
  • Piper
  • Storms and Stars
  • Loving Aidan (College Rose Romance Book 1)
  • Sub Zero (An ESTO Universe Novel)
  • First Flight
  • Changing Worlds (Worlds, #2)
  • The Bigger They Come (Herc's Mercs #1)
  • Santuario (Santuario, #1)
  • Aklesh
  • Line and Orbit (Root Code, #1)
  • Catalyst (Argo, #1)
  • Off World (Off World, #1)
  • Servitude
  • Roll (Rainbow Connection #1)
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost (The Night Wars, #1)
  • A Hidden Magic (Sentinels #1)
  • Between Friends (Between Friends, #1)
My official bio came to me when mulling over my two main passions: words and yarn. It hit me that they’re metaphorically the same thing: “For author and textile artist A. Catherine Noon, it’s all about the yarn, both metaphorical and literal – spinning a yarn, knitting with yarn, weaving, sewing, painting, sharing stories and good times over a cup of coffee with dark chocolate.”
I’m a born storytel
More about A. Catherine Noon...

Persis Chronicles (2 books)
  • Emerald Keep (Persis Chronicles, #2)