The Man Who Died Laughing

The Man Who Died Laughing (Stewart Hoag & Lulu Mysteries #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Hoagy and Lulu (his cat food-eating basset hound) find themselves in Hollywood, where Hoagy will be ghosting the memoirs of has-been funnyman Sonny Day. Sonny is the man who put the "ick" into "shtick." Sonny made silver screen history as half of Knight and Day, the comedy team who kept the '50s laughing. Now, Knight and Day are history and volatile Sonny is determined to...more
Published June 26th 2012 by Open Road Integrated Media (first published 1988)

Natalie
Enjoyed it enough to move on to book two - but not without some hesitancy - a unique set up that should give the reader a bit more humor but somehow tAkes itself too seriously to be very much fun.
Cathy Cole
First Line: I was dreaming about Merilee when the phone woke me up.

Stewart Hoag (call him "Hoagy" for the cheese steak) is a one-hit wonder in the world of publishing. He just can't seem to get a second novel written, but he's going to have to do something if he wants to pay the bills and provide his basset hound, Lulu, with the food she craves.

A way to pay those bills sweeps in one day in the form of Sonny Day, one half of a comedy team that was the greatest thing since sliced bread in the late...more
Jessica
2.5 stars.
When I try to think of things to say about this, my descriptions make it sound like a 2 star book at best, but there was something about it that made it not that bad for me. Perhaps because the murder victim was a washed-up Hollywood star and there was a lot of (fictional) name-dropping and inner-workings details? I'm a sucker for that stuff.
Sandi
A former literary star who has fallen prey to writer’s block is hired to ghostwrite a famous comic’s memoir but finds that not everyone wants all the facts to come out. Much darker and more serious than I expected but very enjoyable with some nice humor. Listened to the audio read by Tom Stechschulte.
Sandybjork
this is the 2nd in a new series .....almost a India version of the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency' Like them very much ....will; be watching for the next one. Fun reading
Lotte
Fast-paced mystery I liked less than I hoped, primarily because the "surprise" ending was apparent early on and spoiled the rest of the read.
Mike (the Paladin)
Over coming writer's block by helping a washed-up comic write his auto-bio. Which of course nefarious forces want to stop.
Tarryn
Tarryn marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Bryon Quertermous
Bryon Quertermous marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2013
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
AKA Russell Andrews (with Peter Gethers)

David Handler, who began his career in New York as a journalist, was born and raised in Los Angeles and published two highly acclaimed novels about growing up there, Kiddo and Boss, before resorting to a life of crime fiction.

More about David Handler...
The Cold Blue Blood The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger & Mitry Mystery, #2) The Bright Silver Star The Burnt Orange Sunrise The Sour Cherry Surprise