Start by marking “The Man Who Died Laughing (Stewart Hoag, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Died Laughing (Stewart Hoag, #1)

The Man Who Died Laughing (Stewart Hoag #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Hoagy and Lulu (his cat food-eating basset hound) find themselves in Hollywood, where Hoagy will be ghosting the memoirs of has-been funnyman Sonny Day. Sonny is the man who put the "ick" into "shtick." Sonny made silver screen history as half of Knight and Day, the comedy team who kept the '50s laughing. Now, Knight and Day are history and volatile Sonny is determined to ...more
Published June 26th 2012 by Open Road Integrated Media (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Died Laughing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Died Laughing

Enjoyed it enough to move on to book two - but not without some hesitancy - a unique set up that should give the reader a bit more humor but somehow tAkes itself too seriously to be very much fun.
Lynda Cowles
I read through this book with gusto, right up until the murder. For me, Sonny Day was the main man. Charismatic, funny, but dark and disturbed - a (un)likeable man with obvious skeletons in his closet. Everyone else seemed 2D compared to him. So I took it hard when he died. Put the book down. Didn't pick it up again for a month. Didn't really care who killed him. When I did pick it back up, I finished it quickly and with a sense of duty. I couldn't actually tell you now who the murderer was. On ...more
What let this book down was the twist at the end. I would say this story was written to be entertaining; and I don't find the 'other' crime that was exposed at the end of the novel is something that should be considered fodder for entertainment. This is a shame, because I was engaged in the novel right up to the last 10 minutes of reading time. (I also found myself constantly trying to work out what period the book was set in, if Frank Sinatra was still alive, which was a little distracting,)

Amanda Meggs
I liked Hoagy, he is a good character. The who scenario was never as light as expected from the title, in fact it was a little grim in places. Hoagy is employed as a ghost writer for an old Hollywood actor/comedian who wants to give his flagging career a boost. His dog Lulu comes along with him.

Still, a good read and that's what I was looking for. I felt that it wasn't up to the standard of the Berger and Mitry series but as the introduction to a new series rather than the familiar one I will gi
Cathy Cole
First Line: I was dreaming about Merilee when the phone woke me up.

Stewart Hoag (call him "Hoagy" for the cheese steak) is a one-hit wonder in the world of publishing. He just can't seem to get a second novel written, but he's going to have to do something if he wants to pay the bills and provide his basset hound, Lulu, with the food she craves.

A way to pay those bills sweeps in one day in the form of Sonny Day, one half of a comedy team that was the greatest thing since sliced bread in the late
I liked the protagonist and the writing but never warmed up to the victim or his circle. I'm looking forward to reading another in the series, though, to see where the author goes with Hoagy.
2.5 stars.
When I try to think of things to say about this, my descriptions make it sound like a 2 star book at best, but there was something about it that made it not that bad for me. Perhaps because the murder victim was a washed-up Hollywood star and there was a lot of (fictional) name-dropping and inner-workings details? I'm a sucker for that stuff.
A former literary star who has fallen prey to writer’s block is hired to ghostwrite a famous comic’s memoir but finds that not everyone wants all the facts to come out. Much darker and more serious than I expected but very enjoyable with some nice humor. Listened to the audio read by Tom Stechschulte.
this is the 2nd in a new series .....almost a India version of the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency' Like them very much ....will; be watching for the next one. Fun reading
Fast-paced mystery I liked less than I hoped, primarily because the "surprise" ending was apparent early on and spoiled the rest of the read.
Mike (the Paladin)
Over coming writer's block by helping a washed-up comic write his auto-bio. Which of course nefarious forces want to stop.
Cathy added it
Nov 22, 2015
Gyung-Min marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Catherine marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Ellen marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
D. Robertson
D. Robertson marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Stelmar marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Marloes marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Familyreader marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
retha is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Lino Natoli
Lino Natoli marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Fangirl marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Kellye marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
AKA Russell Andrews (with Peter Gethers)

David Handler, who began his career in New York as a journalist, was born and raised in Los Angeles and published two highly acclaimed novels about growing up there, Kiddo and Boss, before resorting to a life of crime fiction.

More about David Handler...

Stewart Hoag (8 books)
  • The Man Who Lived by Night (Stewart Hoag, #2)
  • The Man Who Would Be F. Scott Fitzgerald (Stewart Hoag, #3)
  • The Woman Who Fell from Grace (Stewart Hoag, #4)
  • The Boy Who Never Grew Up (Stewart Hoag, #5)
  • The Man Who Cancelled Himself (Stewart Hoag, #6)
  • The Girl Who Ran Off with Daddy (Stewart Hoag, #7)
  • The Man Who Loved Women to Death (Stewart Hoag, #8)