Start by marking “Don't Kiss Them Good-bye” as Want to Read:
Don't Kiss Them Good-bye

Don't Kiss Them Good-bye

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,606 ratings  ·  153 reviews

Her visions have helped solve crimes; her instincts have helped find missing people; she can predict future events and sense your thoughts. These are some of the extraordinary gifts that define the remarkable Allison DuBois, the real-life medium, wife, and mother whose life is the inspiration for the hit NBC television se

Audio CD, 0 pages
Published March 14th 2005 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Kiss Them Good-bye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Kiss Them Good-bye

I took the advice of a friend and gave up on this book. I really like the show, I like psychics, and I really wanted to like this book. The author (whose life the show Medium is based on) doesn't flesh out her stories and sentences seem to be no longer than seven words max. This means it's no fun to read- I made it about 1/3 through.
It feels more like an early draft or that sort of thing, though I believe that Allison Dubois is geniune and compassionate and caring and we'd probably have fun over
Daphne Oliver
Feb 16, 2010 Daphne Oliver rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: open minded people
This book, as cheesy as it may sound, changed my life and my feelings about life and death and beyond. I don't usually read these sort of books (or for that matter, non-fiction at all really) but I love the show "Medium", which is based on Ms. DuBois and her experiences as a medium. She talks about how the dead never leave us, and how we need to listen to the voices around us of those trying to help guide us, that they are indeed with us. Coming from a family with a firm belief in ghosts, haunti ...more
Interesting to learn about how she learned and honed her skill as a medium. She is an amazing person who is full of love. Great stories about the living/dead with whom she has had contact. Also helped me with some grieving in my own life for someone I love who recently passed.
Since I enjoyed the television show "Medium" based on Allison DuBois, I was interested in reading her book. In "Don't Kiss Them Good-bye," Ms. DuBois writes about her first memories of life on the other side. I enjoyed her stories of the many "sitters" (as she refers to them) that DuBois has read for. "Medium" has used her name as well as the names or her husband and three girls for the show's characters, so I enjoyed the true stories about them.

Ms.DuBois addresses skeptics as well as others cla
I really enjoyed this book and wish I could have a reading with Allison. What a gifted young woman - she is exceptional.

Back Cover Blurb:
Her visions have helped solve crimes; her instincts have helped find missing people; she can predict future events and sense your thoughts. These are some of the extraordinary gifts that define the remarkable Allison DuBois, the real-life medium, wife and mother whose life is the inspiration for the TV show Medium.
If you have ever questioned whether there is an
(originally reviewed at )

As the Mulder of my marriage’s Mulder and Scully partnership, every once in awhile I like to pick up books about the supernatural and paranormal. I don’t know how much I believe in this stuff (I tend to sway back and forth about it), but I do know that I’ve had weird experiences that I can’t explain, and therefore I prefer not to write just anything off. Along with this, I am a huge fan of the former NBC/CBS/whatever show MEDIUM, as I love Patricia
Paula Dembeck
When Alison was six years old she realized she had unusual skills. She saw her great grandfather after his funeral and realized she could communicate with the dead.

Allison downplayed her talent for many years, but while at law school and working for the county attorney, she found that as she handled the evidence, she was able to see the crimes as they occurred, something which allowed her to provide vital information on the location of bodies and the identity of perpetrators. Her phenomenal abil
This is such terrible writing that I can't make myself finish it. It is choppy and disorganized, with moralizing and self promotion on every page. Too bad: it could have been a very interesting story, and I'm sure it would have been in the hands of a professional writer.
I am a fan of the TV show "Medium" so I was curious about the real-life Allison Dubois. I believe she is the real deal and she has a genuine warm personality. Her life experiences were haunting and fascinating. I wish she would have written more of them in this book.
Shaun Rice
Apr 10, 2007 Shaun Rice rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's ever experienced the supernatural in person
Shelves: newage
Well written - in the form of memories, essays and narrative. She gives example of post Earthly plane encounters and courage to others like her who experience more than the normal.
I find the topic of the dead communicating with the living comforting. After all, of those who have endured the loss of a loved one, who couldn't find this topic comforting?

I read DuBois' "We Are Their Heaven" first, and greatly prefer it to "Don't Kiss Them Good-bye". I desperately wanted to like this book, but alas, I didn't because of how it slaughtered an otherwise compelling topic. This book was written so poorly that it fell far below the average reader's intelligence level. Rule #1 as a w
Ancestral Gael
I admit to being a fan of the television show " Medium " and, one night, whilst surfing the internet, I stumbled across Allison DuBois's website. I've always held a fascination about those psychics/mediums who work with police (and other governmental) departments and it was interesting to read more about the woman who inspired the television show I enjoyed. I was excited to see that Allison had written books about her experiences, so I acquired one through a book swapping site.

I started reading
Allison DuBois - a woman who shares her experiences as a person coming to terms with her gift as a psychic medium. This is the true story of the woman who inspired the television series MEDIUM. Allison makes it quite clear that either you believe or you don't, and either way is okay with her. She's not trying to win converts.
I am grateful to Allison and others who are gifted, for being brave enough to share their thoughts and experiences. There are very few people who are willing to admit to ot
Don't Kiss Them Goodbye
Alision Dubios
Audio Book-read by author

These are some of the extraordinary gifts that define the remarkable Allison DuBois, the real-life medium, wife, and mother whose life is the inspiration for the hit NBC television series Medium.

This was a really fast read. written by the woman who inspired the TV show Medium. I enjoyed it. it provided insight into what psychic mediums do, and what to expect if you ever decide to consult one. She tells of her life as a family woman with a loving husband and children, all quite ordinary, except, she also has this psychic gift thrown in, that makes things really interesting. Especially because her daughters have also inherited her gift. Allison is very interested in helping children, who ...more
Keliana Lily
I really enjoyed this book, Allison is amazing. This book at made me want to watch the series, but I can't seem to ever catch it. Reading this book has made me realize that we really aren't alone and that we probably have our loved ones around us at all times even though we can't see them. It is a really touching book and really makes you think about life after death.
I give it 3 stars for the crappy editing and not elaborating on anything lol. Her personality that came out in the book came across as having a very 'sheltered' view on world events.
But I enjoyed reading it and although I already know real mediums exist it's nice to read about someone who without a doubt has the gift.
Oh and I watched the show a few times :)

Feb 13, 2008 Mari rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone...
Recommended to Mari by: Picked it up off the shelf...
Do you believe in the hereafter? Then, I believe I know what you're here after! Allison DuBois, an Arizona auther, psychic, and medium (she is the one who the Television show Medium was based on), extends a hand of hope to anyone who has ever wondered, "Is there more to life?"

I've had the chance to personally meet Allison (it was at a Parents of Murdered Children meeting here in Phoenix), and she just blew me away with her eerily accurate readings that she did for everyone in the room.

This book
I started watching the first season of "Medium" a short time ago, and I noticed in the credits that there is a real-life "Allison DuBois". I was excited to find that she wrote a book and that I could get it through Audible.

If you are a fan of the show, I highly recommend this. Narrated by Allison herself, I realized quickly that Patricia Arquette really studied this woman. If I hadn't known that it was Allison reading, I would've sworn that Patricia Arquette was the narrator. Not a coincidence,
Howard Buchman
Well done. Stories are very interesting. When she gets on her rant about supporting children who have the "gift," it gets a bit preachy.

I listened to the book; it was read by Allison DuBois. I always find it appropriate that the author read their works. Who else knows what they meant to write, other than the author? They put emphasis on words that other readers might not. However, Ms. DuBois has a very monotone voice, and makes it a bit uninteresting listen.

Let's face it. What a reader of this b
I loved the show Medium and was very interested in the "real" Alison DuBois from Arizona. This was a very interesting book. I enjoyed learning more about her gifts and how she has helped those around her. I also enjoyed the chapter from her Husband. It was very sweet. I loved all her stories about those she has encountered and how she lives her every day life.
When she was six years old, Allison's deceased great-grandfather came to her with a message for her mother: "I am okay, I am still with yo
Becky Rose
I was surprised I listened to a book like about this type of thing. The book was read by the author. She is the person who inspired the TV show "Medium." Her daughters have the same "gifts" she has. she's seen animals in the visions she's seen. She doesn't charge for her gift. She has strong ethic's when sharing with others what she has seen. She only shares those things that help, not hurt. She shares how parents can help children with this gift. She can see the dead and often the future. She k ...more
I'm sort of fascinated by mediums. Usually, though, I come away thinking they are making stuff up. So far, John Edward and probably this woman are the only two I believe.
Christina Cuanalo
This book is a very easy read. I found it fascinating. She's not an accomplished writer like some say in the other reviews but she can deliver information that is both easy to understand and kept me interested.
Nurture Waratah
This book is both very sad and very inspirational. The author, Allison DuBois, is the woman whose life formed the inspiration for the TV show Medium. This book explains how she came to realize her talent and how she came to use it for good. It contains several actual cases and readings she has worked on and is finished by a chapter about what it is like to live with a medium, written by her husband Joe.

This is an excellent book that is an easy read, and it will have you run the full gamut of you
Susie Rosso
To begin, it's just okay. I can't say that it's the best book I've ever read, but there is something about her story that intrigues me. I know what's coming, in a way, because of the television series based on her life, so I"m holding onto hope that it gets much much better. I do find myself hanging onto every word as she slowly unfolds the story of her gift. I'm truly fascinated by her ability, and do look forward to reaching that point where I say, Ah ha! That's why I opened this up in the fir ...more
I just started reading this book, but I wanted to share something from it. This is an important passage to me, and indeed anybody who has lost a loved one, which, I am sure, is all of you out there who may be reading this.

From pp.9-10: "The biggest compliment you can pay to people you have loved and lost is to keep a part of them alive in yourself, memorializing their significance."

An interesting, quick read. She tells a lot of stories about her experiences as a medium.
while i enjoyed the content of this book as i'm a big fan of the tv show "medium" and its character/inspiration allison dubois, the book itself was not a great read. the interesting content was lost a bit because of the basic writing style. unfortunately not everyone with a good story to tell is a great storyteller. the elementary writing style left me bored and wanting to finish the book so that i'd just be done with it. so yeah, good content, just not good style. the end.
Susie Lindeberg
This was my third read of this book. I've read all three of Ms. DuBois' books & this one, is by far, my favorite. It's an interesting peek into the life of someone who regularly sees & talks to dead people. She also affirms that our beloved pets' spirits are with us. That was something I suspected from first hand experience but it was nice to have it affirmed by someone more advanced in this field than myself. I'm sure I'll read this book again. Highly recommend.
  • One Last Time
  • When Ghosts Speak: Understanding the World of Earthbound Spirits
  • Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death
  • The Eagle and the Rose: A Remarkable True Story
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Adventures of a Psychic: The Fascinating and Inspiring True-Life Story of One of America's Most Successful Clairvoyants
  • Diary of a Psychic
  • Coast to Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America
  • Saved by the Light: The True Story of a Man Who Died Twice and the Profound Revelations He Received
  • The Gift: The Story of an Ordinary Woman's Extraordinary Power
  • A Still, Small Voice: A Psychic's Guide to Awakening Intuition
  • Stairways to Heaven
  • Embraced By The Light
  • Secrets About Life Every Woman Should Know: Ten Principles for Total Emotional and Spiritual Fulfillment
  • Potatoes Not Prozac
Allison Dubois's unique story, the inspiration for the hit NBC TV series Medium, started during her senior year at Arizona State University while she was interning at the D.A.'s office. Soon after, researchers at the University of Arizona validated her ability through a series of tests. Allison continues to support research as a medium, as a member of the Veritas Research Program Mediums Committee ...more
More about Allison DuBois...
We Are Their Heaven: Why the Dead Never Leave Us Secrets of the Monarch: What the Dead Can Teach Us about Living a Better Life Talk To Me: What The Dead Whisper In Your Ear Medium (Em Portugues do Brasil) Into the Dark: Insights from the afterlife

“Saying good-bye when you know it's for the last time is like no other sadness you will ever experience.” 1 likes
“Somewhere between childhood and adulthood we can lose our sense of conscience if we're not careful.” 0 likes