Start by marking “Killing Down the Roman Line” as Want to Read:
Killing Down the Roman Line

Read Book

Killing Down the Roman Line

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  91 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
You go back far enough, every family’s got blood on its hands.

Three miles down the Roman Line, you’ll find the old Corrigan house, empty for decades, the sight of an unspeakable crime that has been long forgotten. Until now, when a stranger rolls into town claiming to be a long lost Corrigan.

Inviting the locals to a tour of the derelict property, the stranger regales the t
Published May 28th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Killing Down the Roman Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Down the Roman Line

Amy_Read to My Heart's Content
Jun 14, 2012 Amy_Read to My Heart's Content rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog
www.readtomyhearts.blogspot Review:

Wow! This is one of those dark eerie mysteries that make you shudder even as you read it. The past meets the present and it is creepy but very entertaining!
At first when I began reading, I thought this was going to be a ghost story; and in some ways it is, but not with the typical ghostly presence. It is more a like the memories and the past is the ghost that haunts this town and these people.
As I was reading it I felt this deep sense of foreboding (my heart s
Bob Milne
Oct 18, 2012 Bob Milne rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
What do you do when a stranger shows up in your quaint little Canadian town to accuse your ancestors of a horrific act? What do you do when he holds you and your fellow citizens responsible for a murder that took place long before you were born? More importantly, what do you do when you begin to doubt the official history, and suspect that there may just be something to his demands for vengeance?

Such is the basic premise of Killing Down the Roman Line, a taut thriller about the prejudices, hatre
Joyce
May 11, 2013 Joyce rated it really liked it
I was not the least bit surprised to find out that the author has written a few feature films (one starring Luke Perry!). Killing Down the Roman Line is a novel that reads like a movie script. This is not a bad thing at all.

The book grabs you from the first few lines and marches inexorably to its bloody, inevitable climax, refusing to relax its grip until the very last line.

Inspired by the true story of the murder of the “Black Donnelly” family in 19th-century rural Canada, the author begins w
Dan
Jul 01, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it
In 1898 in a small town in rural Canada, the entire Corrigan family (except one) is murdered and their bodies are burned in their barn. One hundred years later, the grandson of the survivor (so he says), comes back and wants to reclaim his family’s property and seek vengeance against the descendants of the men who got away with murder a century ago.

Tim McGregor’s latest novel takes a bit of Canadian folklore and creates a thrilling novel that grabs you with the prelude. I found the characters be
Doug Lamoreux
Jun 15, 2012 Doug Lamoreux rated it really liked it
KILLING DOWN THE ROMAN LINE is the new novel by Tim McGregor. McGregor is a Canadian author and screenwriter upon who's bandwagon I jumped when I read his last novel (his first) BAD WOLF - a gritty, urban werewolf yarn. I liked! His characters swore too much for my taste, but the blood flew, the scares were there, and the author had me in his protagonists' corner. When I received KILLING DOWN THE ROMAN LINE (That's right, FULL DISCLOSURE, I did NOT pay for my copy. Gasp! It's the only perk I get ...more
TJ
Nov 11, 2012 TJ rated it really liked it
Tim McGregor's "Killing Down the Roman Line" is a terrific murder mystery that starts in the late 19th Century and moves into modern day. A small Canadian town is the site for a thriller that links the connection that once again reunites old friends, "murder" and "revenge".

I found it quite interesting to learn that McGregor's novel is inspired by an actual event that took place in the 1880's in Ontario, Canada. The tale revolves around a group of vigilantes who secretly swept onto the property o
Buchdoktor
Jul 20, 2013 Buchdoktor rated it really liked it
Schule ist reine Schikane - und ganz besonders das Fach Geschichte, findet der zwölfjährige Travis. Als auf dem Nachbargrundstück zur elterlichen Farm ein Mann auftaucht, um das verfallene Haus zu renovieren und Anspruch auf das Farmland zu erheben, bleibt Travis vor Staunen der Mund offen stehen. Die Familie Corrigan, die Urgroßeltern des neuen Nachbarn, wurde dort vor hundert Jahren ermordet. Nur eins ihrer Kinder überlebte, das die schauerliche Geschichte an seine Nachkommen weitergab. Angebl ...more
Brian Francis
Sep 16, 2012 Brian Francis rated it really liked it
As humans, we sometimes tend to view previous generations as less evolved. That’s especially true when we’re looking back on some of the more unsavory aspects of human behaviour. But while I think it’s possible for people to change, I also think it’s more possible for people not to change.

For anyone familiar with Canada’s Donnelly family (who were murdered by a vigilante mob in 1880), McGregor’s book carries the message that if we think things have progressed since those days, we best think a
Renee Poselwait
Jan 26, 2016 Renee Poselwait rated it really liked it
Killing Down the Roman Line by Tim McGregor is a book that is right up my alley, filled with mystery and suspense. Published in 2012, one year after his first novel, Bad Wolf, Killing Down the Roman Line is about one town’s checkered past, revolving around one event that has not been talked about for generations.
It all starts in the year of 1898, on a farm, on a road named Roman Line. The local “bully” family has all been murdered, save one, and burned in their barn. The local townsmen do not kn
Billie
Jul 27, 2013 Billie rated it really liked it
Based on a true story...small town in England where 100 years ago a feared family was murdered by a group of towns people. The truth was hidden and the murders blamed on a group of prison escapees...fast forward over 100 years and the sole survivor of that night came in to town with his own reign of terror on the descendants of the guilty people.
It held my interest; there were a few draggy places, but the end kept me going!
L.T. Fawkes
Aug 30, 2012 L.T. Fawkes rated it it was amazing
Tim McGregor, $2.99 *****

Wow. "If you're out for revenge, dig two graves."

The past rears its ugly head and comes back to haunt the residents of a small, isolated town in Canada. A very well crafted and well written tale with great characters and lots of suspense. Don't miss this one!
P.A. Wilson
Sep 05, 2013 P.A. Wilson rated it liked it
I struggled with writing this review because I enjoyed the book. It's not for the squeamish. But there were parts of it that I felt were put in for reasons other than to benefit the story. I found a few too many things glossed over, or left hanging to give it more than 3 stars.
Sara
Aug 04, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
Good story, based on true events, but it could use some more editing, I noticed a lot of typos and missing words for such a high profile author.
Robbie
Sep 20, 2012 Robbie rated it liked it
It was pretty good. Actually based in reality.
Jennifer MacDonald
Jan 27, 2016 Jennifer MacDonald rated it liked it
Was like a train wreck! I couldn't put it down. Knew no good was going to come out of the story but kept reading anyway. Not that it was bad - it was rather well written, especially suspenseful at the end. But something was missing. Too formulaic? The post script I think is telling. It's based on a true story with the names and some place names changed. I feel that somehow the book was straight jacketed by the true story.
Susan
Nov 22, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book! The story was one that I could see have happened. The current day line was a bit unreal, but it took place in Canada, so who knows? LOL

I liked most of the characters and it flowed nicely.
Elaine
Dec 16, 2013 Elaine rated it really liked it
A very well written book with an intriguing plot line. The characters are drawn nicely, without being too wordy in the descriptions. Kept me interested through the entire book. Loved the ending.
Terri
Dec 18, 2013 Terri rated it it was amazing
Hold my attention, non-predictable...very well written. Narrative humour/sarcasm ... Nice touch!
Barney
Barney marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Bryan Boswell
Bryan Boswell marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Raql
Raql rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Peggy Hoover
Peggy Hoover marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Dorothy L. Alexander
Dorothy L. Alexander marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
helen marie oldwin
helen marie oldwin rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Tony McFadden
Tony McFadden marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Elaine Boscoe
Elaine Boscoe rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
  • Trade Secrets
  • The Twisted Ones
  • Capture
  • Stone of Destiny
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Ransom Dreams
  • Ferris' Bluff
  • The Betrayed Series Ultimate Companion Collection
  • Vengeance
  • The Storm Killer
  • The Protectors Christmas Box Set
  • Headhunters
  • Secret Vow
  • Sudden Deception (A Jill Oliver Thriller)
  • Dark Entry
Tim McGregor is a screenwriter and author, living in Toronto with his wife and children. When not writing, Tim can be found chasing away the nocturnal recycling people who creep into his yard.
More about Tim McGregor...