Start by marking “Killing Down the Roman Line” as Want to Read:
Killing Down the Roman Line
Open Preview read book

Killing Down the Roman Line

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  16 reviews
You go back far enough, every family’s got blood on its hands.

Three miles down the Roman Line, you’ll find the old Corrigan house, empty for decades, the sight of an unspeakable crime that has been long forgotten. Until now, when a stranger rolls into town claiming to be a long lost Corrigan.

Inviting the locals to a tour of the derelict property, the stranger regales the t
Published May 28th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Killing Down the Roman Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Down the Roman Line

Amy_Read to My Heart's Content
www.readtomyhearts.blogspot Review:

Wow! This is one of those dark eerie mysteries that make you shudder even as you read it. The past meets the present and it is creepy but very entertaining!
At first when I began reading, I thought this was going to be a ghost story; and in some ways it is, but not with the typical ghostly presence. It is more a like the memories and the past is the ghost that haunts this town and these people.
As I was reading it I felt this deep sense of foreboding (my heart s
Bob Milne
What do you do when a stranger shows up in your quaint little Canadian town to accuse your ancestors of a horrific act? What do you do when he holds you and your fellow citizens responsible for a murder that took place long before you were born? More importantly, what do you do when you begin to doubt the official history, and suspect that there may just be something to his demands for vengeance?

Such is the basic premise of Killing Down the Roman Line, a taut thriller about the prejudices, hatre
Joyce
I was not the least bit surprised to find out that the author has written a few feature films (one starring Luke Perry!). Killing Down the Roman Line is a novel that reads like a movie script. This is not a bad thing at all.

The book grabs you from the first few lines and marches inexorably to its bloody, inevitable climax, refusing to relax its grip until the very last line.

Inspired by the true story of the murder of the “Black Donnelly” family in 19th-century rural Canada, the author begins w
Dan
In 1898 in a small town in rural Canada, the entire Corrigan family (except one) is murdered and their bodies are burned in their barn. One hundred years later, the grandson of the survivor (so he says), comes back and wants to reclaim his family’s property and seek vengeance against the descendants of the men who got away with murder a century ago.

Tim McGregor’s latest novel takes a bit of Canadian folklore and creates a thrilling novel that grabs you with the prelude. I found the characters be
Doug Lamoreux
KILLING DOWN THE ROMAN LINE is the new novel by Tim McGregor. McGregor is a Canadian author and screenwriter upon who's bandwagon I jumped when I read his last novel (his first) BAD WOLF - a gritty, urban werewolf yarn. I liked! His characters swore too much for my taste, but the blood flew, the scares were there, and the author had me in his protagonists' corner. When I received KILLING DOWN THE ROMAN LINE (That's right, FULL DISCLOSURE, I did NOT pay for my copy. Gasp! It's the only perk I get ...more
TJ
Tim McGregor's "Killing Down the Roman Line" is a terrific murder mystery that starts in the late 19th Century and moves into modern day. A small Canadian town is the site for a thriller that links the connection that once again reunites old friends, "murder" and "revenge".

I found it quite interesting to learn that McGregor's novel is inspired by an actual event that took place in the 1880's in Ontario, Canada. The tale revolves around a group of vigilantes who secretly swept onto the property o
Buchdoktor
Schule ist reine Schikane - und ganz besonders das Fach Geschichte, findet der zwölfjährige Travis. Als auf dem Nachbargrundstück zur elterlichen Farm ein Mann auftaucht, um das verfallene Haus zu renovieren und Anspruch auf das Farmland zu erheben, bleibt Travis vor Staunen der Mund offen stehen. Die Familie Corrigan, die Urgroßeltern des neuen Nachbarn, wurde dort vor hundert Jahren ermordet. Nur eins ihrer Kinder überlebte, das die schauerliche Geschichte an seine Nachkommen weitergab. Angebl ...more
Brian Francis
As humans, we sometimes tend to view previous generations as less evolved. That’s especially true when we’re looking back on some of the more unsavory aspects of human behaviour. But while I think it’s possible for people to change, I also think it’s more possible for people not to change.

For anyone familiar with Canada’s Donnelly family (who were murdered by a vigilante mob in 1880), McGregor’s book carries the message that if we think things have progressed since those days, we best think a
Billie
Based on a true story...small town in England where 100 years ago a feared family was murdered by a group of towns people. The truth was hidden and the murders blamed on a group of prison escapees...fast forward over 100 years and the sole survivor of that night came in to town with his own reign of terror on the descendants of the guilty people.
It held my interest; there were a few draggy places, but the end kept me going!
L.T. Fawkes
Tim McGregor, $2.99 *****

Wow. "If you're out for revenge, dig two graves."

The past rears its ugly head and comes back to haunt the residents of a small, isolated town in Canada. A very well crafted and well written tale with great characters and lots of suspense. Don't miss this one!
P.A. Wilson
I struggled with writing this review because I enjoyed the book. It's not for the squeamish. But there were parts of it that I felt were put in for reasons other than to benefit the story. I found a few too many things glossed over, or left hanging to give it more than 3 stars.
Sara
Good story, based on true events, but it could use some more editing, I noticed a lot of typos and missing words for such a high profile author.
Robbie
It was pretty good. Actually based in reality.
Susan
This was a very interesting book! The story was one that I could see have happened. The current day line was a bit unreal, but it took place in Canada, so who knows? LOL

I liked most of the characters and it flowed nicely.
Elaine
A very well written book with an intriguing plot line. The characters are drawn nicely, without being too wordy in the descriptions. Kept me interested through the entire book. Loved the ending.
Terri
Hold my attention, non-predictable...very well written. Narrative humour/sarcasm ... Nice touch!
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Lora Allen
Lora Allen marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Annie Chapin
Annie Chapin marked it as to-read
Donna Woodman
Donna Woodman marked it as to-read
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Treena
Treena marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
Nov 26, 2014
Jennifer A. Smith
Jennifer A. Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Silent Counsel
  • Breaking News
  • Vengeance
  • Covert Reich
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • Sudden Deception (A Jill Oliver Thriller)
  • Ferris' Bluff
  • Rabid
  • A Place of Strangers
  • Zero Balance (Eviscerating the Snake, #2)
  • Grave Situation
  • The Folks at Fifty-Eight
  • Down & Dirty: A McCray Crime Collection
  • Hope Road
  • The Stranger Beside You
  • Little Lamb Lost
  • The Consultant (Vigilante, #2)
  • A Provencal Mystery
Tim McGregor is a screenwriter and author, living in Toronto with his wife and children. When not writing, Tim can be found chasing away the nocturnal recycling people who creep into his yard.
More about Tim McGregor...
Bad Wolf (Bad Wolf Chronicles, #1) Pale Wolf (Bad Wolf Chronicles, #2) Old Flames, Burned Hands Last Wolf (Bad Wolf Chronicles #3) The Spookshow