Start by marking “Setting the Record Straight: American History in Black & White” as Want to Read:
Setting the Record Straight: American History in Black & White

Setting the Record Straight: American History in Black & White

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Setting the Record Straight is a unique view of the religious and moral heritage of black Americans, with an emphasis on the untold yet significant stories from our rich political history. The material presented is ground-breaking and revolutionary, leaving viewers amazed and inspired.
Published January 1st 2004 by Wallbuilder Press

To ask other readers questions about Setting the Record Straight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Setting the Record Straight

Cathy
It is incredibly offensive to find out that after grade school, high school, and four years of college courses, an entire block of history has been omitted from my public education. This book lays bare the truth behind the movement to supress black achievement -- even simple involvement in the workings and daily life of America -- accomplished almost single-handedly by the Democratic Party. The author is unapologetically conservative, but whether you agree or not with his political opinions, it' ...more
Lori
It discussed the history of the Republican and Democratic beginnings and how the Democratic Party specifically believed in White Supremacy. They also started the Ku Klux Klan, reciting some documents to support that this was their cause. The author supplies a miriad of documents to support his findings and leaves the reader shocked and dismayed. It also discusses the amazing advancements of some incredible black men and their many accomplishments. The author provides stories that prove that we a ...more
One of the most fascinating history books I have read in a long time. It is very well documented and contains 40 pages of notes and index material. This is the history of African Americans in American politics from before the Revolutionary War to today. I have some new heroes to admire and teach my children about. I learned things about Frederick Douglass, for example, that I was never taught in school.

Quotes:

I was, on the anti-slavery question,...fully committed to (the) doctrine touching the p
Chelsea
I would add this to all high school american history curriculum if I could. I was astonished to learn how much of history as I was taught was left out or distorted. I was amazed by the comprehensive research that even taught where some of my own misconceptions had originated and why they had become common misconceptions. Overall this book was enjoyable to read, well written, well researched, and contains valuable historical information for all Americans.
Jesse Schexnayder
Nov 29, 2010 Jesse Schexnayder rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jesse by: Glenn Beck
Shelves: paperback
There are critical elements to our nation's history that are being ignored in our national and state public education systems. Read this book to start yourself on the path to restoring America's true history. You will learn things that change your perspective, and for that, this book is worth your time.
April
Great quick read! A MUST read if you are an American! This book made me so angry at times...I just can't believe the things people are capable of. OR the fact that some of these things are "unknown". Really just an amazing, eye-opening read.

As the title suggests, this goes back through American History...and tells the story of what happend all through the ages with slavery. The struggles to end it, and the mind boggeling steps taken to keep it.

It's not the BEST writing, it flows more like a lar
Donald Harwick
This was a fantastic read! Mr. Barton begins at the civil war, (and slightly before) and proceeds to present day with a detailed account of how African-Americans have achieved political equality. This is vividly different from what we are told by minority leaders, but Mr. Barton presents documents to back up his claims. I especially enjoyed the reproductions of old cartoons and op-ed pages.
Proud2b4family
This book should be required reading in all public schools...especially the urban, poor schools in which Democrats have trapped millions of black students over the years.

Also, if you learned "history" from a public school curriculum, you would do well to read this book. It is, as Paul Harvey was fond of saying, "the rest of the story" (but told correctly this time).
Liz
Dec 08, 2014 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: history
Fairly short and very readable, this book outlines the good and bad associated with African American history in the United States. Much of the good has been forgotten or deliberately omitted in our current history books. This book is a great jumping off point for researching other aspects of this history. Being short in length there is not much room for elaboration.
Syl
This book should be read by everyone! This is a wealth of history that has been forgotten. It is a short quick read. Almost a third of the book is the documentation of where the facts came from. There are some issues of the book that I feel the need to research further.
Karen
Amazing book. There is so much American History we are never told. WHY?? When was the first Black judge? Have we had a black Speaker of the House? These are questions you will find the answers to plus so much more. This is a book everyone should read!
Sheila
This is a must read for anyone desiring to understand black history. David Barton presents some surprising facts and uses original documents and newspaper articles to support his points. Want to know who has fought for civil rights? Read this book.
Tommy May
The author is one terrible writer. The book has no chapters and the real purpose of the book is exposed by page 40. The title should read, The Truth About Civil Rights History and The Awful Role the Democratic National Party Played.
I hate when the author sneaks in his true motive behind the book, I feel like I was lied too. Further it felt like I was reading the lecture of a 500 level history class where the professor keeps going off on rants. The author would be addressing the history and the
Shelly
There was so much history in this book that I had never learned from any of my history of America classes. It is a great and easy read and makes one a little frustrated at how those in power have tried to erase our great American heritage.
Juline
Grew up in Detroit. Lived through the civil rights era and riots and all. WHERE WAS THIS HISTORY???? I can't believe that the vast majority of this history was completely knew to me!!! Great book that gives some perspective.
Sami
Sep 10, 2010 Sami rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 14+
Recommended to Sami by: mom grandpa uncle grandma ect.
WOW, it's so amazing to learn about what isn't in the text books. Some of this stuff is crazy!!! It's good to know someone out there is willing to put the time and effort in finding all this information and giving it too us.
Don
Feb 20, 2011 Don rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: history
It's hard to believe that after all the bad things the democrats have done with civil rights. They claim to to be a friend to minroities.
Jean
Written by a conservative, but found on the whole the book is based on facts that can be backed up.
Lara Lazenby
Outraged that I was never taught this stuff in school. Everyone needs to read this book.
Noelle Campbell
Amazing what you don't learn in school - absolutely amazing...
Jamie
so educational...must read.
Pegg
Mr. Barton has an agenda and it comes through from the first pages of this book. He wanted to set the record straight on which political party has furthered the civil rights of Black Americans throughout our history. He did exactly that. The last quarter of this book is footnotes and supporting documentation of what he has put forth in the preceding pages. Mr. Barton does not like what the Democratic Party historically did in regards to civil rights and Mr. Barton is obviously a Christian. If ei ...more
Melody
What an eye-opening read. Amazing facts about how African Americans are so woven into America's founding, and also about their fight to be given a chance to live freely in the U.S. It sobered me to read about the many atrocities done to black Americans and those white people who supported them-- all the way up to the 1970's!

I must say, however, that it got to be a little irritating when the author continued to call down the Democratic Party for their actions against black Americans. I fully und
Ken
This book provides much valuable information and many items and citations of authentic history. The value of that information is largely diminished by the author's agenda. It is clear by the first 20 pages that Barton's mission is to rehabilitate the modern Republican Party by aggrandizing it's early days and leading the reader to believe the party came into existence to defeat the institution of slavery.

There is no question that the Republican Party championed abolition, emancipation, and civil
Desiree
May 29, 2014 Desiree rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every American
Recommended to Desiree by: Peter Mondesir Sr.
PHENOMENAL, PURELY PHENOMENAL. Every American should read this, especially black and or Democratic Americans. It will be an eye-opener indeed!

Also, I would love to teach this on a college level. This should be mandatory learning for every American!
Sandy Shin
Another book purchased because of the promises made by the seller,all of which were as full of lies and misstatements as the book itself.

In my 73 years, I have thrown away less than 20 books, this is one, 8 others were all written by this author.

The only hopeful news I can give is that, in this day of easy fact checking, it will be so much harder for someone to get away with distortions, omissions and willful lying in order to rewrite history to his own twisted point of view.

Double check everyt
Eric
This book is a must read for all those who love to know the truth about America's history. I know I was neglected to be taught many of these facts about black history. The author brings to light many things that transpired in the early days of this country and how there were many black people who attained positions of prominence, even against many odds. However, the other side of this book seemed to be an indictment of the Democrat party. I think the author was just in pointing out how the party ...more
Andrew
I would definitely recommend this book for high school and college level American History classes, but I think it is above my students comprehension level. I do highly recommend the book. It's a fascinating look at the political history of black Americans. I don't think I have ever seen a text sourced so well, the body of the text is only 137 pages long and there are 472 citations! It is a bit brief at times and could include a little more depth. Fair warning David Barton is very religious (I'm ...more
Steven Szewczyk
Interesting first 40 pages. If you are a lover of history you will get through it. If you are not you will not make it to the end. The book reads like a high school textbook . It tells the history of African Americans in American politics. I thought it was interesting that most of the early African American politicians were republicans, and that the civil rights act of 1964 and the voting rights bill of 1965 needed a simple majority to pass the house. Out of the 315 democrats only 198 of them su ...more
Tamra
Terrible writing! Great information! Conservative leaning! Kind of like a text book! Well worth the time and the read!

The book is really quite short with about a 1/3 of it being notes, etc. in the back. Like I said it's a little like reading a text book, which was made a little more enjoyable by lots of pictures ;) I would recommend listening to it on youtube. It's in Mister Barton's Voice and I liked that a little better cause I could keep my hands busy while listening. Anyway . . .
  • Wives of the Signers: The Women Behind the Declaration of Independence
  • Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America's Enemies
  • George Washington's Sacred Fire
  • New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America
  • The Shadow Party: How George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Sixties Radicals Seized Control of the Democratic Party
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • Lives of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence
  • 48 Liberal Lies About American History
  • Samuel Adams: A Life
  • Who Killed the Constitution?: The Assault on American Law and the Unmaking of a Nation
  • The End of Racism: Finding Values in an Age of Technoaffluence
  • Vindicating the Founders: Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America
  • The Making of America: The Substance and Meaning of the Constitution
  • Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility
  • Samuel Adams: Father of the American Revolution
  • The Founding Fathers Guide to the Constitution
  • The Second Civil War: How Extreme Partisanship Has Paralyzed Washington and Polarized America
  • Bullies
David Barton is the Founder and President of WallBuilders, a national pro-family organization that presents America's forgotten history and heroes, with an emphasis on our moral, religious and constitutional heritage.

WallBuilders is a name taken from the Old Testament writings of Nehemiah, who led a grassroots movement to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem and restore its strength and honor. In the sa
More about David Barton...
The Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths You've Always Believed about Thomas Jefferson Original Intent: The Courts, the Constitution, & Religion Bulletproof George Washington: An Account of God's Providential Care Separation of Church & State: What the Founders Meant The Second Amendment:: Preserving the Inalienable Right of Individual Self-Protection