Start by marking “The Prey (The Hunt, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Prey (The Hunt, #2)

The Prey (The Hunt #2)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,407 Ratings  ·  493 Reviews
For Gene and the remaining humans—or hepers—death is just a heartbeat away. On the run and hunted by society, they must find a way to survive in The Vast... and avoid the hungry predators tracking them in the dark. But they’re not the only things following Gene. He’s haunted by the girl he left behind and his burgeoning feelings for Sissy, the human girl at his side.

When t
Hardcover, US, 326 pages
Published January 29th 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Prey, please sign up.

Quartknee You have to read the rest of the series to find out! I <3 Ashley June!
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
258th out of 1,520 books — 10,843 voters
Unravel Me by Tahereh MafiThrough the Ever Night by Veronica RossiScarlet by Marissa MeyerProdigy by Marie LuEverbound by Brodi Ashton
2013 YA/MG Sequels
49th out of 111 books — 822 voters

More lists with this book...

Vaso
Apr 06, 2016 Vaso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second installment was more fast paced and with more action. There were a lot of twists in the plot that kept me hooked. Can't wait to see how this is going to end...
Katy
Jan 31, 2013 Katy rated it really liked it
I admit part of the reason why I liked The Hunt so much was because it was bizarre different (I know, I'm weird like that). The hepers were the minority living among the duskers, and the bizarreness - like the sticking their elbows into each others' armpits or the wrist scratching - made it unique, and I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't any weirdness in this book.

Taking those things out of the book made The Prey much a like any other dystopian - one that follows the general storyline of a wor
Kristy
Mar 11, 2013 Kristy rated it really liked it
Read along with BBP, March 2013.

I'm afraid a lot of people will read The Hunt (The Hunt, #1) by Andrew Fukuda and think it is just too weird, resulting in them not giving this one a chance. This Second book was much more story-oriented, a lot of the oddities sort of take a back seat (they are still there, but maybe just not as much of a major player). I very much so enjoyed this one.
There were a few predictable moments, but for the most part I was constantly being suprised. This was fast-paced and action packed, a real adventure boo
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
I always hope that, where I've enjoyed the first book in a series, the rest will prove to be at least as good. Andrew Fukuda's debut novel, The Hunt, while not a favorite was an enjoyable action read, a nice change of pace from my more contemplative reads. In reading The Prey, I really hoped to find more of the same, but instead it alternated between wtfery and completely predictable plot twists.

Since I like to give credit where credit is due, there are two things that I did like about The Prey.
Mitch
Feb 05, 2013 Mitch rated it liked it
The Prey is everything I expected from the sequel to The Hunt. I know that sounds like a positive reaction and I could talk about how all my expectations were met, but that's just my problem - I anticipated everything. Thinking back, I really liked The Hunt because it's a survival story centered around a guy in a tough situation where one wrong move meant instant death at the fangs of the vampires around him, I wasn't so concerned with the dystopian backstory, and that's why I'm mildly disappoin ...more
Rani Simpson
Sep 12, 2012 Rani Simpson marked it as to-read
Shelves: ya-book-club
Um...I'm want to see ashley June get rescued! How can he fall for another girl when Ashley June risked her life for him in a huge way, and is left rotting in a hole!! Idk, I want to read this sequel, but the first book was quit a bit laborious in the middle!! I more than likely will read it, but I will be highly upset of he just let's Ashley June die or something.
Bonnie McDaniel
This book is a sequel to The Hunt, which I read a few months ago. The Prey definitely improved on its predecessor; in fact, it is one of the best books I have read so far this year.

The previous book introduced a dark, bloody, dystopian world, where humans are seemingly all but extinct, subsumed by a new breed: a superstrong, superfast cannibalistic "people" who will literally tear you limb from limb, eating your flesh and drinking your blood. The hero, Gene, survives by the use of a brazenly cl
Lex (Fastidious Reader)
I know! I am so weird. Cause I like the book. It really is a bit fascinating reading a different kind of vampires. Where they are not sparkly and totally ran out of humanity. Incapable of love and reason.

What I don't like was that it was not based on the first book The Hunt. Where they are in a Dome and all that crap. Well of course, from the last page of first book we know that Gene managed to escape the Heper Institute. But one might think it'll be lead back in that Institute. That's what I k
Mands
3.5

The Prey by Andrew Fukuda is the sequel to The Hunt, a book I hadn't planned on reading but once I did I was happy because it was thrilling and involved a unique and creepy world. I have been waiting on this sequel since then and it was just as good.

The Prey starts up where The Hunt left off. Gene, Sissy, Ben, David, Jacob, and Epap have escaped from the Dome and are now in the wild, trying to follow vague instructions left for them by The Scientist, Gene’s father. Each night Hunters arrive
Sam
May 06, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot more than the first! I don't know if it's because I listened on Audiobook instead of reading it this time, or maybe it simply was better.

I knew there was something weird going on with 'The Mission' but was still horrified to know the truth in the end. As with the first, this was so fast-paced! The first part of the book is the survivors journey to the promised land, even though it was a lot of traveling it was still exciting.

I liked how we got more background about Gene's da
Danny
Dec 22, 2012 Danny rated it it was amazing
This was such a worthy sequel!!! It was phenomenal, full of action and fast paced!
This book take a new direction than the first book which makes it so much more awesome than I had dared to hope for!
There are a lot of secrets which need to be solved and the story takes a few amazing twists and turns!
Loved Gene who is slowly getting a strong boy who deserves to be called a hero'

Loved Sissy and all the kids who survived and run away with them!

The ending again left me speechless and the cliffhange
Charlyn
Apr 20, 2016 Charlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, read-2016
4.25*

Druhý díl byl rozhodně lepší a čtivější než první, což dokazuje fakt, že jsem ho přelouskla během jednoho odpoledne. Také byl o hodně brutálnější a krvavější a některé scény, zvlášť ty v závěru, byly opravdu nechutné.
Ang
Jan 30, 2013 Ang rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, paranormal
I'm saving my review until the girls finish because I don't want to give anything away. I will however say I liked it more than the first book. Again though I am left feeling like I don't have any answers and it is frustrating as all heck!
Zuzana Malá
Sep 09, 2015 Zuzana Malá rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it
přes půl roku rozečtené
měla jsem to dočíst dřív
konec byl boží
už aby přišel poslední díl :D

Sierra Abrams
The Prey by Andrew Fukuda
Book 2 in a trilogy
5/5 stars
(I tried to keep this spoiler free for those who haven't read the first book, but read at your own risk...)

Bear with me. I finished this book last night. I am STILL in shock.

Honestly, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I really genuinely loved the first book. (I rated it a little lower because I couldn't stomach some of the scenes...but really. It was BRILLIANT.) And that cliffhanger, right? Ok well this was worse.

ANDREW FUKUDA I LO
nancy (The Ravenous Reader)
Feb 02, 2013 nancy (The Ravenous Reader) rated it it was amazing
THE PREY by Andrew Fukuda was a novel that I highly anticipated reading because it's predecessor, THE HUNT was gruesome and highly addictive. I truly did not believe that any other book could be so unsettling and twisted, but I was wrong because THE PREY proved vampires are NOT the only thing to fear.

As I returned to this world of carnivorous vampires and remaining humans I am immediately thrust into the chaos that Gene and his tiny group are trying desperately to overcome. Escaping the vampires
Jon
Jun 19, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
Seen At Scott Reads It

This is what you want then? I say. To be chased, to be hunted? To be their prey your whole life? Born prey, die prey? I look at them in turn. This is our chance to be more than prey.

I am now convinced that 2013 is the Year Of The Sequel. Every single sequel I have read that comes out in 2013 has been better than it's predecessor (Through The Ever Night, Asunder,The Prey, The Lives We Lost, Vortex). Notice also that all of these superior sequels are also the second book
Carina Olsen
Dec 06, 2012 Carina Olsen rated it really liked it
I have been wanting to read The Prey ever since I finished The Hunt this May. And now I finally got the chance to do so; and I must say that it was worth the wait :) I remember loving the first book a whole lot. The writing, the plot, the characters. And I still did that. Only, I do think that the first book was better. But even so. I enjoyed this book a whole lot, and I never wanted to stop reading it, and I cannot wait for the third and final one. It will be a long wait. Because this book ends ...more
Denisa
Mar 20, 2015 Denisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
So, čte se to parádně a člověk se nenudí. I když je to místy trochu průhledný. Pořád tam jsou ale hrozně nelogický věci, něco málo se sice vyjasnilo, ale pořád ne všechno a jsou tam drobnosti, který prostě logiku nemaj a nemůžou mít, řekla bych. No, na Past jsem celkem zvědavá. Třeba se vyjasní aj něco víc.

Jo a ty 4 hvězdičky jsou zatím jen orientační.
Crystal
Mar 07, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Well color me surprised! After really disliking the first one I really though there was no hope but WOW what a sequel!! See just goes to show sometimes you shouldn't ever give up on a series...more to come later..

Thanks Kristy for being my BBP and reading this one with me!!
Stuart Aken
Jul 17, 2015 Stuart Aken rated it liked it
This science fiction novel was found in the small library of the hotel where I holidayed on the Greek Island of Thassos.

Although this is the middle book of a trilogy, it stands quite well on its own.

The depictions of both a world strangled by the genetic mistake of a fanatic and a sub-society living in a false world of hypocrisy and self-delusion are brilliantly devised and realised.

The characters hum with real life and emotions in this dystopian tale of hope. There are missing details of som
Vickie Wilson
Sep 24, 2014 Vickie Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hunt is one of my favourite guilty pleasure reads, in the so-bad-it's-good category. You have your brutal, bloody violence, vampires, and armpit sex. Let's just skim that last part. The second book, The Prey, has a whole lot less vampires in it, but everything is just as wonderfully weird when Gene and his friends arrive at The Mission, a giant village in the middle of nowhere with seriously bizarre rules - don't travel in less than a group of three, the girls are all deformed, and there's s ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

In THE HUNT, Andrew Fukuda created a terrifying yet irresistible world where humans are all but extinct. He introduced us to Gene, a teen forced to hide among the very vampires who would devour him if they discovered he was human. In THE PREY, Gene and the small group of humans he helped escape are on the run, following cryptic clues left by Gene’s father in search of The Promised land, the last human outpost in the world.

THE PREY picks up only seconds
Diane
Jul 21, 2013 Diane rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
The first book was so good ( I wont rehash). I was SO disappointed to see where this story went. It started exactly where the last one left off, on the lake, running from the hunters. We get few exciting scenes and skirmishes before they find the place the Scientist (Jean's father) vaguely hinted and gave clues to (or is it).

It's a place of all young pretty girls, with small feet, most of them pregnant..and the Elders are all men that do nothing but drink and eat and gods know what else. HELLO,
Keisha Keenleyside
Jan 19, 2014 Keisha Keenleyside rated it really liked it
The Prey is the Second book to THE HUNT by Andrew Fukuda, i didnt know this until i seen other reviews. However without reading the first one it was easy to pick up the storyline.

The prey starts off with action, the group are on a boat and are doing as the scientist says "Stay on the boat." until they are thrown down a waterfall and eventually find themselves in a place the rather odd locals refer to as the mission. Where nothing is quite the norm. Girls overpopulate the town and most are "pot b
Shaheen
Feb 25, 2013 Shaheen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ohhh. It’s set in our future. Right.

That’s pretty much all I got from this book – and it was through pages and pages of info-dumping conversation between Gene, Sissy and a guy who turned out to be the villain. But hey, you don’t hear me complaining because I finally figured out what was going on in terms of world-building. One of the things I don’t understand, though, is why the person telling us the history of this world uses terms that we, as 21st century people in this world, understand, but
Evie
Apr 02, 2013 Evie rated it really liked it
The Prey is one of those extremely rare cases when the sequel is superior to the first book in the series. The Hunt was amazing. A breathtaking, heart-pounding, action-packed, blood-chilling page-turner of a book. It quickly became one of my favorites! And The Prey was even better! Thanks to many entertaining (and gasp-worthy) plot twists, it successfully avoided the "middle book" syndrome of so many series out there. It was more thoughtful and emotional, but no less thrilling and disturbing tha ...more
Kathleen Q
Jul 01, 2013 Kathleen Q rated it did not like it
Spoilers below, fyi.

I didn't like the first book. I didn't like the second book.

The same issues still come up in this book, perhaps more than the first one. It's sexist (but I think the author thinks he's really ~saying something~ modern and all that. He's not). There are tired tropes, "Nice Guy" BS all over the place, and simply confusing arcs. They're not complicated story lines, but rather they're poorly explained for the sake of [bad] action and selfishness.

Also, what is that cover? WHAT
Braiden
Jan 27, 2013 Braiden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Andrew Fukuda returns full force with a sequel that grapples you as soon as you begin reading, as if you were the book’s prey. The Prey picks up where we left Gene, Sissy, Epap, Ben, Jacob, and David at the end of The Hunt as they escape the Duskers, the vampire/zombie-esque race that dominates Fukuda’s post-apocalytpic world. In The Prey Gene and the hepers are in search for the Land of Milk and Honey, Fruit, and Sunshine that the Scientist – who we learn is Gene’s father at the end o
Sabrina
Mar 04, 2013 Sabrina rated it really liked it
I love this series, and can't wait for the next book.... However, The Prey was not quite as good as The Hunt. It left me with more questions than answers and I found myself just a little disappointed. I would still recommend it, and I'm hoping the next installment will be better.

To Elaborate....
I LOVE the first book, The Hunt. Love. It's on my shelf in a place of honor. Such a fantastic book. You should absolutely read it. So, it is possible that maybe my expectations were a little high.
The H
  • The Seers (Holders #2)
  • Override (Glitch, #2)
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
  • The Circle of Thirteen
  • Vortex (Tempest, #2)
  • Solstice
  • Domino Falls (Devil's Wake, #2)
  • The Severed Tower (Conquered Earth, #2)
  • 'Til the World Ends (Blood of Eden, #0.5)
  • The Book of the Crowman (Black Dawn #2)
  • One Great Year
  • Paradise
  • Ravage (Deviants, #3)
  • Blood Orange Soda
  • Moonset (Legacy of Moonset, #1)
  • Deadly Diamonds
  • The Savage Blue (The Vicious Deep #2)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
Born in Manhattan and raised in Hong Kong, Andrew Fukuda is half-Chinese, half-Japanese. After earning a bachelor's degree in history from Cornell University, Fukuda worked in Manhattan's Chinatown with the immigrant teen community. That experience led to the writing of Crossing, his debut novel that was selected by ALA Booklist as an Editor's Choice, Top Ten First Novel, and Top Ten Crime Novel i ...more
More about Andrew Fukuda...

The Hunt (3 books)
  • The Hunt (The Hunt, #1)
  • The Trap (The Hunt, #3)