Start by marking “Devil in the Dollhouse (Sandman Slim, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Devil in the Dollhouse (Sandman Slim, #3.5)

Devil in the Dollhouse (Sandman Slim #3.5)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  2,201 ratings  ·  92 reviews
James Stark, a.k.a. Sandman Slim, has a new job, but being the new Lucifer in town gives fresh meaning to the word "Hell." Especially when he hears of hideous massacres near a haunted fortress out on Hell's frontier.

As far as Stark's concerned, the more dead Hellions, the better, but he still has to prove that no one screws with Sandman Slim. And facing creatures so terrib
Published July 31st 2012 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Devil in the Dollhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil in the Dollhouse

Good Omens by Terry PratchettFor Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) by Shane K.P. O'NeillPlague of Angels by John Patrick KennedyParadise Lost by John MiltonThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Sympathy for the Devil
75th out of 138 books — 253 voters
Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherDead Beat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
253rd out of 535 books — 868 voters

More lists with this book...

Edward Lorn
Pardon me while I geek the fuck out...

*flails around like the T-1000 in an industrial-sized smelting pot*

Fuck yeah! This! This is why I love the Sandman Slim series. Yes, the third book did not live up to my expectations, but this one went back to what made the series fun to begin with. Action for days. Twists around every corner. Vulgar, sarcastic dialogue and narration. And I'm actually excited for the next book, which I wasn't after finishing Aloha From Hell. To top it all off, I realized why
Jason
4.5 Stars

Devil in the Dollhouse is a novella that takes place between books three and book four in the Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey. I love this series and cannot get enough of Sandman Slim. I am not sure how I missed this fun little ride down a road in hell.

This novel tells a short adventure about James Stark also known as Sandman Slim, and now known as Lucifer or Satan, or The Devil, or The Lord of Lies, or….I think you get the point. This novella covers one of James first missions si
Karissa
I got this story free for Kindle. This is a story that takes place between books 3 and 4 of the Sandman Slim series. It was an interesting addition to the series and full of the all that bad-assness that is Sandman Slim.

Sandman Slim is trying to adjust to life as Lucifer and searching for a way back home. Then he is informed by his minions that he has to travel through the circles of Hell to confront a particularly naughty Hellion.

This was a very short read (took maybe half an hour to read) but
Seth
So far, the Sandman Slim books have been non-stop, rollicking fun. Our (anti)hero, Stark, just wants to be left alone and he'll kill anything that gets in the way of that, which keeps him picking up strays to care for and responsibilities to maintain at a disturbing rate. As of this short story, listed as volume "3.5" in the books, he's taken over the title of Lucifer and trying to keep hell from boiling over into rebellions that could affect the mortal world. After all, the mortal world is wher ...more
Natalia Rox
I do not know why I am so enthralled by Sandman Slim, but I am. This novella gives a great sneak peek into Hell and to get a feel for the games that are being played down there. Stark is still the same no nonsense- straight to the point MF I have grown to love. He is surrounded by hellions that are just as flawed and spineless as the humans and on a journey to get some answers. The way Kadrey ends the story syncs perfectly for the 4th book, because a novella should not be essential to the storyl ...more
Cathy Ryan
Being Lucifer isn’t a fun job and it takes Stark into the outer reaches of hell in this short, violent and very bloody story. Lucifer #1 has left him a hell of a mess to clean up and although it’s the last thing he wants, Stark has to make sure he is acknowledged, if not approved, as the Lord of the Underworld.

'I used to be James Stark or sometimes Sandman Slim but then Lucifer 1.0 pissed off back to Heaven and stuck me running Hell. I thought that was the worst thing that ever happened to me.
Johnny Raven
Great filler for the next book and entertaining as alway. A perfect blend of brutality, comedic quips for stress relief/dark humor, and a Theological/Philosophical/Architectural mind bender...if your interested in Academia and Ancient religions, an obsession of mine/hunger for knowledge. That is what makes all of this series of books even more fascinating. Even without that knowledge his writing is just a shovel in the face with a triage of humor to take the shock away and make you laugh hyster ...more
Morgan Lee
I picked up Sandman Slim after absolutely adoring another one of Kadrey's novels, Butcher Bird, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. While different from Butcher Bird, Kadrey still makes use of his awesome writing skills, and describes for us the world as it is, or at least as he or maybe better yet, as Sandman Slim sees it. It's a quirky, action packed novel for those of us who can't get enough of the horror genera, but isn't so off-putting that someone who isn't so into horror wouldn ...more
Albert
Sandman Slim 3.5; Devil In The Dollhouse takes place between Aloha From Hell and Devil Said Bang. Stark, Sandman Slim, is now taken the place of Lucifer in Hell and reigns as the Devil. A job he does not want. And like most of the misadventures Stark finds himself on, it seems as if the Devil is still pulling the strings. For it seems that the denizens of Hell don't quite accept Stark as their new Lord of the Underworld. He still needs to earn it.

..."In a conversation like this when someone says
Frank Errington
Sandwiched between Aloha from Hell and The Devil Said Bang, this Sandman Slim short covers his first few days as the new Lucifer. It's obvious he's not happy about his new role.

Here's what he has to say on the matter, "Hi. I'm the Devil. No, seriously. I used to be James Stark or sometimes Sandman Slim, but then the Lucifer 1.0 pissed off back to Heaven and stuck me running Hell. I thought that was the worst thing that ever happened to me. That was three days ago. Today things got worse."

If you'
William
ALERT - Contains spoilers if you have not read through book three of the series, "Aloha from Hell." The story is a tie-jn between novels 3 & 4.

This short story by Kadrey is typical, awesome Sandman Slim doing what he does best: cutting through b.s. and cutting down baddies. This story seems pretty straight forward, but of course it takes place in Hell and Stark is involved, so "typical" is just sitting around waiting to get thrown out the window and driven over.

I liked the story and its grea
Eric
An Ass-Kicking Amuse Bouche; Not for the Uninitiated

“Devil in the Dollhouse” is a new short story by Richard Kadrey (tumblr, twitter). When you buy the short story, you actually get a two-for-one deal. You not only get the short story, but you also get a sneak peak chapter of the next Sandman Slim novel, DEVIL SAID BANG (which comes out on August 28).

So first the short story. When the last Sandman Slim novel, ALOHA FROM HELL, left off, Sandman Slim had just inherited Hell, becoming the new Lucif
Victoria
This brief short story takes place just after the events in Aloha from Hell. Stark is the new Lucifer and is immediately thrown into an adventure in one of Hell’s spooky corners to deal with a disturbance in a haunted manor. Something about the style feels a bit... off. Stark’s narration does not flow as smoothly as in the novels, and it’s hard to say how significant these events will be in the grand scheme of the series. I am not certain if this will be important in the next novel in the series ...more
J K
Been a while since I entered the Sandman's world but it was worth it, and finding out his current mission in Hell - and there are worst places than the deadly arena. Whetted my appetite for the other books again. Kadrey has an excellent knack for bringing the most gruesome scenes to life with extra class and plenty of R-Rated material.
Keith Keber
More like a short story connecting books 3-4 than a book itself. Can't find it in stores, it's only available in e-edition (I had to read it on the Kindle App on my Mac). Small purchase and totally worth it to keep up with the series.
Robert
short story that takes place between books 3 and 4. Even though I read it after reading book 4 it still was a good read. I just can't get enough of this series I guess.
Denise
I'd never read any of the Sandman Slim stories before, and this one popped up in my recommendations. It sounded like the short story could be read as a stand-alone, and indeed the story wasn't difficult to follow without the previous novels as background material. The story was fairly well written, but the portrayal of the protagonist was a bit over the top. A lot of Stark's lines - both the spoken ones and the internal thoughts - sound like they'd be entertaining in a film noir, but didn't tran ...more
Jonny Amalgamated
This book is a short novella that Richard Kadrey tossed to his fans while they waited for the 4th book in the Sandman Slim series to be released; consider this Sandman Slim 3.5.

The story itself was not only super short, but mediocre at best. Now, with that having been said, what this download (I bought it off the Amazon Kindle store) does contain is the first chapter of Devil Said Bang, the upcoming 4th Sandman Slim book, which left me drooling for more.

I really think he should have just tossed
Stephane
Interesting short story that fits nicely between Aloha from Hell and Devil Said Bang and which fills a little bit of the back story of Hell.
Loki Carbis
Quick and fun, but this is a spicy satay stick compared to the juicy pepper steaks that are the Sandman Slim novels.
Jo Quinnie
Had not read any of the other books but I'm going to now I've read this short story!
Benzini
Short, and not necessary to the series, just another adventure in Hell.
Andrew
I enjoyed the other Sandman Slim stories but this one just rubbed me the wrong way right from the start.

These things have always been more style over substance but in the past that has been part of the fun. This time it's just obnoxious. Even after reading the other books I felt like I was reading the second part of a three part story. There just wasn't enough there to feel like a complete piece of fiction.

My disappointment with this novella aside I'm still looking forward to Devil Said Bang. T
Virgil
Did not realize it was a short when I started it, but that’s ok.
Andrew
Ok I will admit that I have read the first sandman slim book and loved it and that this is really number 3.5 so I am a little bit off but this was a great story just knowing how the first book left off I have so many questions I need answering I am a little confused probably more so than I would have been if I read this as a standalone but its a great tale nadir you have read any of the other books in this series it fits perfectly in place in style at least so I would say read it but be warned y ...more
Brian Lively
A short and fun Sandman Slim story about one of Stark's first days as Lucifer. It's short enough that I was able to read it while eating lunch, but still manages to tell a complete story. Fans of the series will find plenty of its signature twisted humor.

Only time will tell if it is a "must read" in the series, though. While we do learn more about Samael's (or Lucifer 1.0's) motivations and his secrets, there are no real Hell-shattering revelations, but I could see some things being key to the d
Bart
*** 3 stars ***
Modi123
A quick read story that provides some needed filler on the whole Stark as king cheese in Hell. I would have liked more short stories, but for $0.99 I couldn't complain too much.

Nothing overly crucial to the whole saga, but it does deepen some of the set coloring.
Michelle
Bernie Charbonneau
James Stark, aka-Sandman Slim, is a character I can’t seem to get enough of. This little novella was available when I went to purchase Mr. Kadrey’s latest full novel, Devil Said Bang, This little gem gives us a small vision of what the Sandman has to deal with since he has become the big cheese, yes, the man down under with the horns, Lucifer. With generals and politicians trying to knock him off his perch, Lucifer has his hands full
  • Twenty Palaces (Twenty Palaces, #0.5)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Monster Hunter Legion (MHI, #4)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • Live and Let Drood (Secret Histories, #6)
  • One Hell of a Ride (InCryptid, #0.2)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3)
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • Two Ravens and One Crow (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Overtime (Laundry Files, #2.5)
Richard Kadrey is a freelance photographer and writer living in San Francisco. He photographs under the name Kaos Beauty Klinik. His new novel is Sandman Slim (Eos, 2009).
More about Richard Kadrey...
Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2) Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3) Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim, #4) Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim, #5)