Start by marking “Devil in the Dollhouse (Sandman Slim, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Devil in the Dollhouse (Sandman Slim, #3.5)

Devil in the Dollhouse (Sandman Slim #3.5)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  3,559 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
James Stark, a.k.a. Sandman Slim, has a new job, but being the new Lucifer in town gives fresh meaning to the word "Hell." Especially when he hears of hideous massacres near a haunted fortress out on Hell's frontier.

Published July 31st 2012 by Harper Voyager

Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherDead Beat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
239th out of 646 books — 1,172 voters
Good Omens by Terry PratchettFor Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) by Shane K.P. O'NeillThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovParadise Lost by John Milton
Sympathy for the Devil
86th out of 174 books — 344 voters

More lists with this book...

Edward Lorn
Sep 27, 2014 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 52-in-52-2014
Pardon me while I geek the fuck out...

*flails around like the T-1000 in an industrial-sized smelting pot*

Fuck yeah! This! This is why I love the Sandman Slim series. Yes, the third book did not live up to my expectations, but this one went back to what made the series fun to begin with. Action for days. Twists around every corner. Vulgar, sarcastic dialogue and narration. And I'm actually excited for the next book, which I wasn't after finishing Aloha From Hell. To top it all off, I realized why
Jason
Mar 11, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, read-2013
4.5 Stars

Devil in the Dollhouse is a novella that takes place between books three and book four in the Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey. I love this series and cannot get enough of Sandman Slim. I am not sure how I missed this fun little ride down a road in hell.

This novel tells a short adventure about James Stark also known as Sandman Slim, and now known as Lucifer or Satan, or The Devil, or The Lord of Lies, or….I think you get the point. This novella covers one of James first missions si
Karissa
Dec 06, 2012 Karissa rated it really liked it
I got this story free for Kindle. This is a story that takes place between books 3 and 4 of the Sandman Slim series. It was an interesting addition to the series and full of the all that bad-assness that is Sandman Slim.

Sandman Slim is trying to adjust to life as Lucifer and searching for a way back home. Then he is informed by his minions that he has to travel through the circles of Hell to confront a particularly naughty Hellion.

This was a very short read (took maybe half an hour to read) but
Seth
Sep 20, 2012 Seth rated it liked it
So far, the Sandman Slim books have been non-stop, rollicking fun. Our (anti)hero, Stark, just wants to be left alone and he'll kill anything that gets in the way of that, which keeps him picking up strays to care for and responsibilities to maintain at a disturbing rate. As of this short story, listed as volume "3.5" in the books, he's taken over the title of Lucifer and trying to keep hell from boiling over into rebellions that could affect the mortal world. After all, the mortal world is wher ...more
Brainycat
blasphemy: 5
Bechdel Test: FAIL
Deggan's Rule: FAIL
Gay Bechdel Test: FAIL

Please note: I don't review to provide synopses, I review to share a purely visceral reaction to books and perhaps answer some of the questions I ask when I'm contemplating investing time and money into a book.

This is a short story tucked into the Sandman Slim series. I read it out of order (I'd already finished Kill City Blues) but that didn't change my enjoyment of the
Suz
May 28, 2016 Suz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, audio
It was a great little short that I enjoyed a lot.

It's the first time I've listened to a Sandman Slim book as I've read the previous novels before 5. I think the narrator captured the characters quite well and helped bring the story alive.

Kevin
Aug 15, 2016 Kevin rated it liked it
I liked it, but not really one you need to read for the series and I don't think its one that will make you want to read more about Sandman Slim.
Natalia Rox
Aug 02, 2012 Natalia Rox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not know why I am so enthralled by Sandman Slim, but I am. This novella gives a great sneak peek into Hell and to get a feel for the games that are being played down there. Stark is still the same no nonsense- straight to the point MF I have grown to love. He is surrounded by hellions that are just as flawed and spineless as the humans and on a journey to get some answers. The way Kadrey ends the story syncs perfectly for the 4th book, because a novella should not be essential to the storyl ...more
A Reader's Heaven
As far as Stark's concerned, the more dead Hellions, the better, but he still has to prove that no one screws with Sandman Slim. And facing creatures so terrible even Hell does not want them is no cakewalk, even for Lucifer.

This was my first visit to the Sandman Slim storyline for a
Mark
Cathy Ryan
Aug 07, 2014 Cathy Ryan rated it really liked it
Being Lucifer isn’t a fun job and it takes Stark into the outer reaches of hell in this short, violent and very bloody story. Lucifer #1 has left him a hell of a mess to clean up and although it’s the last thing he wants, Stark has to make sure he is acknowledged, if not approved, as the Lord of the Underworld.

'I used to be James Stark or sometimes Sandman Slim but then Lucifer 1.0 pissed off back to Heaven and stuck me running Hell. I thought that was the worst thing that ever happened to me.
Sasha
Jan 24, 2015 Sasha rated it really liked it
I loaded this one in Audible and took dog for a walk. It lasted for an hour and I am sure I had stupid grin on my face all along. I am afraid reading 3 Sandman Slim books in a short time affected my brain in some way and I am laughing in all the wrong places. Just saying "river of shit and blood" makes me giggle now - that cannot be right.

First minute or so of the audiobook was a just a bit off putting as the voice reading the book was not even close to the voice I imagined as I was reading prev
Bart
Feb 25, 2014 Bart rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
*** 3 stars ***
Johnny Raven
Apr 03, 2014 Johnny Raven rated it it was amazing
Great filler for the next book and entertaining as alway. A perfect blend of brutality, comedic quips for stress relief/dark humor, and a Theological/Philosophical/Architectural mind bender...if your interested in Academia and Ancient religions, an obsession of mine/hunger for knowledge. That is what makes all of this series of books even more fascinating. Even without that knowledge his writing is just a shovel in the face with a triage of humor to take the shock away and make you laugh hyster ...more
Morgan Lee
Feb 25, 2014 Morgan Lee rated it it was amazing
I picked up Sandman Slim after absolutely adoring another one of Kadrey's novels, Butcher Bird, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. While different from Butcher Bird, Kadrey still makes use of his awesome writing skills, and describes for us the world as it is, or at least as he or maybe better yet, as Sandman Slim sees it. It's a quirky, action packed novel for those of us who can't get enough of the horror genera, but isn't so off-putting that someone who isn't so into horror wouldn ...more
Albert
Oct 09, 2013 Albert rated it really liked it
Sandman Slim 3.5; Devil In The Dollhouse takes place between Aloha From Hell and Devil Said Bang. Stark, Sandman Slim, is now taken the place of Lucifer in Hell and reigns as the Devil. A job he does not want. And like most of the misadventures Stark finds himself on, it seems as if the Devil is still pulling the strings. For it seems that the denizens of Hell don't quite accept Stark as their new Lord of the Underworld. He still needs to earn it.

..."In a conversation like this when someone says
Frank Errington
May 07, 2013 Frank Errington rated it really liked it
Sandwiched between Aloha from Hell and The Devil Said Bang, this Sandman Slim short covers his first few days as the new Lucifer. It's obvious he's not happy about his new role.

Here's what he has to say on the matter, "Hi. I'm the Devil. No, seriously. I used to be James Stark or sometimes Sandman Slim, but then the Lucifer 1.0 pissed off back to Heaven and stuck me running Hell. I thought that was the worst thing that ever happened to me. That was three days ago. Today things got worse."

If you'
William
Aug 08, 2013 William rated it it was amazing
ALERT - Contains spoilers if you have not read through book three of the series, "Aloha from Hell." The story is a tie-jn between novels 3 & 4.

This short story by Kadrey is typical, awesome Sandman Slim doing what he does best: cutting through b.s. and cutting down baddies. This story seems pretty straight forward, but of course it takes place in Hell and Stark is involved, so "typical" is just sitting around waiting to get thrown out the window and driven over.

I liked the story and its grea
Eric
Aug 13, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it
An Ass-Kicking Amuse Bouche; Not for the Uninitiated

“Devil in the Dollhouse” is a new short story by Richard Kadrey (tumblr, twitter). When you buy the short story, you actually get a two-for-one deal. You not only get the short story, but you also get a sneak peak chapter of the next Sandman Slim novel, DEVIL SAID BANG (which comes out on August 28).

So first the short story. When the last Sandman Slim novel, ALOHA FROM HELL, left off, Sandman Slim had just inherited Hell, becoming the new Lucif
Victoria
This brief short story takes place just after the events in Aloha from Hell. Stark is the new Lucifer and is immediately thrown into an adventure in one of Hell’s spooky corners to deal with a disturbance in a haunted manor. Something about the style feels a bit... off. Stark’s narration does not flow as smoothly as in the novels, and it’s hard to say how significant these events will be in the grand scheme of the series. I am not certain if this will be important in the next novel in the series ...more
Avidderailment
Mar 08, 2015 Avidderailment rated it liked it
This story made me realize why I am enjoying this series a lot - Stark is seriously flawed and only plans his actions 30% of the time. He can be outwitted like what happened in this volume but in the grand scheme of the Sandman Slim universe, this is a minor set back and you know that the badassery will continue in the next volumes.
J K
Jul 14, 2014 J K rated it really liked it
Been a while since I entered the Sandman's world but it was worth it, and finding out his current mission in Hell - and there are worst places than the deadly arena. Whetted my appetite for the other books again. Kadrey has an excellent knack for bringing the most gruesome scenes to life with extra class and plenty of R-Rated material.
Brandy
May 06, 2016 Brandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: creatures
I just have to say that the man doing the narration is AWESOME!!!
Spoilers

So sandman is now Lucifer and on a hunt. Little does he know that he is going to meet the original Devil. But after all is said and done, Stark will not remember any of it thanks to his little demon companion.
Vincent Wood
May 02, 2016 Vincent Wood rated it liked it
A Sandman Slim novella and a decent enough story to read for those fans of the Sandman Slim novels who are eagerly waiting for the next books and want something to whet their appetite. This book isn't anything special, but it was enjoyable.
Ron Barnett
Oct 31, 2015 Ron Barnett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another true story

As always, Slim is in the middle of the rude, crude, and totally screwed reality he has inherited. Despite his attitude problems he has 'endeared' himself and some of his running buddies to me and mine.
Keith Keber
Mar 25, 2014 Keith Keber rated it really liked it
More like a short story connecting books 3-4 than a book itself. Can't find it in stores, it's only available in e-edition (I had to read it on the Kindle App on my Mac). Small purchase and totally worth it to keep up with the series.
David Miller
Feb 01, 2015 David Miller rated it really liked it
Richard Kadrey is of course one of my favorite authors... I can't help it; I find the prose - purple and B-movie-worth as it is - compulsively readable. I took one star off only because this short story is too short :-(
Eric Evans
Nov 13, 2015 Eric Evans rated it really liked it
A short story between books 3 and 4. This tells of Starks adjustment to becoming Lucifer. So much story was placed in this small short story it was pretty good.
Tory Holmes
Oct 22, 2015 Tory Holmes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Does it again!

Sandman Slim, what else is there to say! It's a short book that, I'm sure, will develop into the story later on! Buy it, read it, and enjoy.
Robert
Jun 25, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it
short story that takes place between books 3 and 4. Even though I read it after reading book 4 it still was a good read. I just can't get enough of this series I guess.
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Executable (Demon Accords, #6)
  • Live and Let Drood (Secret Histories, #6)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • Twenty Palaces (Twenty Palaces, #0.5)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • When Graveyards Yawn (Apocalypse Trilogy #1)
  • Holier Than Thou (The Tome of Bill, #4)
  • Monster Hunter Legion (Monster Hunter International, #4)
  • The Grimoire of the Lamb (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #0.4)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Material Witness
Richard Kadrey is a writer and freelance photographer living in San Francisco, best known for his Sandman Slim novels. His newest novels are The Everything Box, released April 19, 2016 and The Perdition Score (Sandman Slim, #8), released on June 28, 2016.
More about Richard Kadrey...

Sandman Slim (8 books)
  • Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
  • Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3)
  • Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim, #4)
  • Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim, #5)
  • The Getaway God (Sandman Slim, #6)
  • Killing Pretty (Sandman Slim, #7)
  • The Perdition Score (Sandman Slim, #8)

“Then you better tell whoever is Lucifer, because I’m living in his palace, wearing his clothes, and peeing in his shower.” 1 likes
“If I’m going to ride this out and stay alive, then I’m king high ballbuster. I took on God and almost did the old man in. A few grumpy horns and hoofs types and a petting zoo full of rabid Pokemons? I’m Satan. I can deal that and play “Smoke on the Water” while getting a lap dance on a runaway train all at the same time.” 1 likes