Start by marking “The Boyfriend Bylaws” as Want to Read:
The Boyfriend Bylaws

The Boyfriend Bylaws

Alternate cover edition for ASIN B004QWZB8E.

Melanie Porter has been dumped—again. When others accuse her of “being in love with being in love,” she agrees to let her best friend, Patti, step in and direct her dating life with The Boyfriend Bylaws.

EXCERPT:

Rule #2: Must obtain permission to accept any date invi
Published May 2012 by Amazon Digital Services (first published March 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Boyfriend Bylaws, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boyfriend Bylaws

Princess for Hire by Lindsey LeavittFree Gift with Purchase by Jackie PilossophA Farewell to Charms by Lindsey LeavittGorgeous by Rachel VailCompact with the Devil by Bethany Maines
Cosmetics on the Cover
7th out of 67 books — 7 voters
Hearts in Darkness by Laura KayePapap's Teeth by Danielle DeVorAdin's Adventure by Andromeda BlissSasha's Story by Andromeda BlissCity Solipsism by Zack Love
Short Stories Worth Your Short Time
114th out of 238 books — 146 voters

More lists with this book...

Novel Delight Review & Lisa (Lissa) Smith's Bookshelf
Jul 27, 2016 Novel Delight Review & Lisa (Lissa) Smith's Bookshelf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adult & Young Adult Readers of Romance
Recommended to Novel Delight Review & Lisa (Lissa) Smith's Bookshelf by: Veronica Blade & Susan Hatler
Synopsis:

EXCERPT:

Rule #1: No giving out your phone number until approved to do so.

Rule #2: Must obtain permission to accept any date invitation.

Rule #3: No bringing up marriage, kids or the future.

Rule #4: No going to first base without authorization.

Amended Rule #4: No going to first base, or an
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I really liked this book with a slight catch which I will explain later. :)

Hello? Set in Sacramento? My growing up stomping grounds... How could I not appreciate that? The characters were fun. The story moved along quickly and ended all too soon in my opinion. I would sure like to see a longer version of this. I think the employees being caught in the janitorial closet was very funny and I loved the word of the day idea. So much fun. The conversations felt natural and easy. Loved the happily eve
Kala
Sep 07, 2012 Kala rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was not impressed with this book. When I got it, I didn't realize it was a novella (my fault). I don't necessarily dislike novellas, but I feel like it's very difficult for most authors to get a fleshed out love story in a short form like a novella - and I feel like Hatler failed in that.

She did do some things I liked. I thought the whole "word of the day" thing was amusing. I thought the employees hiding in the closet was amusing. And...yeah, that's about it.

The main character (Melanie) was s
Char (1RadReader59)
This was an enjoyable read. A short story of love being right under your nose but you never see or a friend tells you, you don't. This is the case with Melanie & Matt. Melanie won't give him the time of day because she has heard he is a love them & leave them kind of guy. Yet, Melanie's boyfriend gets changed as often as she changes her pants so pot calling the kettle black right. Maybe not. Her roommate can't take it anymore & knows Melanie is not up to such heart ache all the time ...more
Katherine
May 14, 2011 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit, ebook
This was a fun little read. I was gifted this ebook in exchange for a review. I would have liked it much more if there hadn't been the expectation that everyone sleeps with people they think they are in love with, married or not. People who do not have a problem with this premise will probably enjoy the story more than I did.

It was interesting to read in the story that the main character's parent's relationship influenced how she thought about men and marriage. Also, how our perception of peopl
Bel Watson
Apr 15, 2012 Bel Watson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone who is bored
Clearly it's not the best book ever, but it's short, easy reading and fun. Besides, it was free on Amazon, so I "bought" it. I read it last night and it was fun, I liked Matt and I didn't hate Mel (normally I hate those women that are desperate to get a boyfriend or husband), I think I can understand her a bit, though I can't understand the big desire of getting married. Well... I'll never understand that.
Not bad, not excellent. Intermediate. But I liked, though. It's a book you can read when yo
Katie W
Apr 10, 2012 Katie W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A cute (short) story about a girl who falls head over heels way too fast--and gets her heart broken over and over again. Her best friend, and roommate, write the boyfriend bylaws to try and help her find The One.

I really did enjoy the storyline and the characters, but there was a little more...content...than I personally prefer (drinking to the point of getting drunk, talk of "getting on bases," etc).
Liz
Genre:Contemporary
My rating: 5/5
Publisher: amazon digital services
Published: March 6th 2011
Summary: Melanie Porter has been dumped-again. When others accuse her of "being in love with being in love," she agrees to let her best friend, Patti, step in and direct her dating life with The Boyfriend Bylaws.
EXCERPT
Rule #1: No giving out your phone number until approved to do so.
Rule #2: Must obtain permission to accept any date invitation.
Delaney Diamond
Well done!

This was a nice, sweet, contemporary story about the dating woes of twenty-five-year-old Melanie. In love with being in love, she couldn't get it right when it came to men. She was also petrified of becoming a woman like her mother, who had left her father after years of marriage.

In her quest to find The One, she ignored Matt, the perfect man under her nose all along. In her defense, one of her co-workers lied to her about Matt and said he was a player. (Oddly enough, I think Melanie
Melissa Simmons
May 19, 2012 Melissa Simmons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Boyfriend Bylaws is the first book in the Totally Fit series by Susan Hatler. I have to say, I can't get enough of good books with great romance in them. When I heard about this book, I knew I just had to read it. The synopsis really appealed to me; a girl's best friend taking her love life in hand to keep her from making further mistakes, it sounded fantastic. Susan Hatler did not disappoint!

I flew through this book in no time at all, I was just hooked! I love Hatler's writing style; the hu
Vonze (Yvonne)
Apr 21, 2011 Vonze (Yvonne) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Meg Cabot fans
Shelves: romance, chick-lit
Melanie is a young woman with lots of great things going for her. She teaches classes at the Totally Fit gym and has finally saved up enough money for her dream car. However, she hasn't been as lucky in the romance department. After dating one lame guy too many, her best friend decides to lay down “The Boyfriend Bylaws” or rules that will help Melanie find “The One”.

The Boyfriend Bylaws is a fun and witty read! I loved Melanie's character and the back-and-forth banter and antics between her and
Claire Taylor
Sep 01, 2012 Claire Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amusing and entertaining short romance.

The Boyfriend Bylaws is just comical. How many times has a girl jumped into a relationship thinking it may last, just for the guy to get up and leave after getting what he wants.

Every single girl needs a friend like Patti to step in and “help” out with her love life, one who’s honest and tells you how things really are.

A cute, quick read, kept simple with no complications that’s full of the joys, pain and jealousy of romance and dating. The characters ar
Paris
Aug 31, 2016 Paris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know when it happened, but I've totally become a sucker for romantic short stories. I've been a fan of the HEA for awhile now, but only if it comes with blood, guts, murder or supernatural beings. But suddenly I'm finding myself enjoying cute stories that are straight romance like The Boyfriend Bylaws by Susan Hatler. Even though I know what's going to happen in the end, I can't help but want to see how they get there.

I absolutely loved Matt and kinda wish I had one of my own. Mel was a
Michelle
May 02, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cute story and I really enjoyed the writing. I did find it to be a bit rushed and wish the characters were a little more developed. I think that's just part of reading a novella, they're a lot quicker than a full length book. I guess my point is, I enjoyed the characters enough that I wanted more.

I was a little disappointed with the references of pre-marital sex but was grateful nothing was graphic. (Considering the fact I found out about this book from the Clean Romance Group
Englishrose
Apr 25, 2011 Englishrose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute short story. The characters are cute and quirky. From the very beginning you get sucked into their lives and the way they do everything. Perhaps it's just the way the friends interact, but it just makes you remember the fun parts of being single. Melanie is a classic marriage-obsessed character that is cute and fun. I didn't want this to end, especially since there were a couple side stories that didn't seem to quite get resolved. But it was definitely a light and fun read ...more
Crystal (Books Are Sanity!!!)
Susan Hatler has crafted a very cute novella that will be sure to put a smile on your face while you are reading it! Melanie is terrible with love, she always chooses the wrong guys! So her best friend and roommate Patti gets her to agree to date only by The Boyfriend Bylaws! If Melanie breaks any of these 'laws' then she has to turn her car over to her! A funny and cute story, The Boyfriend Bylaws is the perfect pick-me-up book! Four and a half stars!

Laura Greenwood
May 13, 2013 Laura Greenwood rated it liked it
Original mini review from: http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

Not the kind of book I normally go for, as in set in the modern world and about little more than romance as this one is.

I enjoyed it as a light read, it was really easy to read and move on with, and ultimately is a believable situation about people being in love with the idea of being in love.

Very enjoyable light read.
Tifferz
Apr 12, 2011 Tifferz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an arc copy of this super fun and engaging novella The Boyfriend Bylaws by Susan Hatler. First off I really like the cover. Now this is sweet romance that has you rooting for Melanie right from the beginning. I was laughing and smiling throughout the story. This is a clean romance. I only wish the story was longer. I would recommend this read and will be following Susan Hatler and awaiting her next book.
Cheri
May 09, 2011 Cheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t sure about this at first because I’m not really into chic-lit. However, I was drawn into Melanie’s wish to find Mr. Right and I soon began rooting for her. Of course I could see right away who it should be, but it was fun wondering when Mel would finally figure it out. Charming little story and I think it perfectly fits within the chic-lit genre.
Patricia Kiyono
Apr 16, 2012 Patricia Kiyono rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful story about Melanie, who keeps falling in love with the wrong guy. Her roommate decides to help her find The One by enforcing the Boyfriend Bylaws, with Melanie's new car as collateral! I loved the interaction between the characters. The story line is believable and complete. Great book!
Danielle Calabrese
A cute short story! I thought the character and plot development was well done considering this was a short story. I would have liked to see more, but I am judging this story based on the fact that is was meant as a short story and not as an underdeveloped novel. The characters were extremely likable and funny, and I really enjoyed it!
BecksBookPicks
Apr 01, 2011 BecksBookPicks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its absolutely a cute little story about how that perfect someone is sometimes the person right under your nose. Melanie is desperate for love and looks past all the men's flaws in hopes that they are the one. Her best friend teaches her some rules on how to find the right one. Melanie resists, but eventually gets it and figures out who she wants has been there all along.

Carrie
May 20, 2011 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Loved this little story! It was witty and interesting and fun! The main guy was instantly yumzy!!! And the short story immediately following it was endearing as well! Great writing! Easy read!

I forgot to mention that I won this book in a giveaway! Thank you so much!! What a treat!
WiLoveBooks
Mar 06, 2012 WiLoveBooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Melanie wants to find love so bad, she sees it even when it is not there. Finally she lets her best friend take charge of her love life. Sweet, cute and predictable. Quick, fun read. I love all of the characters, though I do wonder what happens to the sister.
Lisa
Apr 13, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This premise was great! I enjoyed the friendship between the main character and her roommate. Of course, the hero was perfect and fun. Susan Hatler is a good writer and if it was cleaned up (fyi - there was a bit too much sexual innuendo for my taste) I would read a longer version!

Amber Garza
Apr 18, 2012 Amber Garza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super cute romance! Love that it takes place in Sacramento where I grew up! And Matt is a very endearing hero.
Shannon
I really like the main characters Melanie and Matt. It's so obvious they were made for each other. The pacing/timing was a bit rushed but overall it was a good little story. 3.5 Stars
Shelly
Aug 31, 2016 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Free on kindle when I downloaded it. Very cute. I totally enjoyed these characters and the story. I liked the author and would read more from her.
Anne
Mar 24, 2011 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good premise for a book, but it wrapped up too quickly, too neatly. I know this was a novella, but the characters could have been developed more and more detail added to the book.
  • Blind Date, Checkmate
  • Head Over Heels
  • Miracle at the Museum of Broken Hearts
  • Stuck with You
  • Set Up For Love
  • Valentine Surprise
  • Star Fish
  • Practice Cake (Life in Saltwater City, #1)
  • My Man Pendleton
  • What's Life Without the Sprinkles?
  • Dark Lullaby (Harbinger Mystery, #1.4)
  • Mistletoe in Maine (Holiday Brides #3)
  • Falling (Bits and Pieces #1)
  • Free Gift with Purchase
  • Good Girls
  • Betting on Love
  • Rise of the Demons (Oceans of Red #1)
  • Only Women Bleed
SUSAN HATLER is a New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author, who writes humorous and emotional contemporary romance and young adult novels. Many of Susan's books have been translated into German, Spanish, French, and Italian. A natural optimist, she believes life is amazing, people are fascinating, and imagination is endless. She loves spending time with her characters and hopes you do, too. ...more
More about Susan Hatler...