Start by marking “Too Hot to Handle” as Want to Read:
Too Hot to Handle

Too Hot to Handle

Emily Barnett is happy to be who she is: a country-bred old maid at 26, with a blind sister and niece to care for. But her pompous, stuffy cousin Reginald wants her to also be his wife--he inherited her family home and needs her dowry to run it properly. When Emily refuses to marry him, he kicks the three women out. Emily goes to London, determined to find work as a govern ...more
Published August 30th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Too Hot to Handle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Hot to Handle

Kelly
May 01, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
I'm pushing this one up to 4 stars although It may be only a 3.5. However it started out so strong had me chuckling from the start that it bloody well deserves the added half star.

This starts out so strong but somehow the characters that were so intriguing in the beginning were never fully developed and just fell flat. Even the secondary characters that I so enjoyed were also lacking and never got enough time in the book.

The fact is it had really good bones but the meat was missing. I found it
Billie Jo
An absolute must read! Sexy page turner!!
Angela
Feb 24, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Enjoyable historical romance opens with our heroine, Emily being mistaken for a courtesan, who's interviewing to be the Earl of Winchester's new mistress. The beginning of this romance had me in stitches. It is really a great scene. And our heroine is naive and as innocent as a babe. She will keep you laughing. There's one scene where she is stroking the earl's private part and she says "What is this thing?" I almost fell off my chair. Ms. Holt delights us with some truly gifted story telling in ...more
Daneesha
Jun 19, 2009 Daneesha rated it liked it
this was a cute but absurd book. i don't think it was one of cheryl holt's hottest. the heroine emily is trying to provide for her blind sister and niece by applying for a governess position with a debauched earl named michael. he thinks she's applying for the mistress position and there's some confusion before he hires her for the actual governess position. emily is probably one of the most naive virgins i've read about in a long time. michael had to explain to her what happens during sex. it's ...more
Jane Stewart
Sep 10, 2010 Jane Stewart rated it it was ok
Shelves: regency-romance
Didn't like stupid characters, not recommended.

The first lovemaking scene was very funny, but nothing else was clever or entertaining. I was annoyed with some stupid things that Michael and Emily did later in the story. SPOILER: Michael should never have trusted Amanda enough to drink what she gave him when he knew that she had recently visited and told lies to Emily. He should not have believed the lie told to him by Reginald. I hate murder mysteries where an innocent person picks up the murder
Greentea
Jan 18, 2015 Greentea rated it did not like it
Shelves: historicals
Please ignore that ridiculous and out of context cover photo. I thought so too that this is a cowboy book-not! :)
I do not know which came first this or "Complete Abandon" by Cheryl Holt also because they have the almost same plot and the heroine also starts with E. Emma is the heroine in Complete Abandon and Emily stars in here. The heroes too in the stories acts the same-rogue and spoilt grown men.
So comparing the two since they're super alike and I kinda even have the feeling that the author j
Krystine
Oct 07, 2010 Krystine rated it liked it
I wondered why there was a picture of a shirtless cowboy on the cover (or at least that's what I interpreted it as), when this was a historical 1800s London romance novel. It followed the same basic plot of any other 1800s London romance novel, but perhaps a bit more scandalous (and erm, detailed in the sex scenes) than others I've read. It was a quick and easy read, predictable but there were a few twists I wasn't expecting. Not a bad book.
Jane
Oct 18, 2010 Jane rated it really liked it
More like 3.5

Overall I really liked this book, I liked the characters and the story. There were some things that I found unbelievable and ,for someone who has read quite a few romance novels, uncomfortable. When Michael is explaining to Emily about how men and women have s** I found myself laughing that "I'm so uncomfortable, how do I get out of this..." laugh and skimming past it. But that was such a short part of the story that I was able to move past it and enjoy the rest of the story.
Sandra
Mar 23, 2013 Sandra rated it really liked it
I thought this was a quick easy read although I found Holt made the heroine Emily A little to naive even for a virgin..I mean come on she didn't even know that men and women were made different(rolling eyes) But other than that it was quite steamy and as always Cheryl Holt is my go to guilty pleasure.
Shae
Jun 15, 2008 Shae rated it did not like it
*yawns* All of her books start out very promising but let you down to an insane degree. The same conversations happen over and over and there are a lot of the same characters. I don't know if anyone every told cheryl holt that a good story has an actual climax. It just all falls flat. At least I only have 3 more of her books to read from a pile of books that my friend gave me.
Cynthia
Jul 31, 2009 Cynthia rated it did not like it
Awful, awful, awful.

From the weirdly cowboyish cover (story takes place in completely unrealistic old England) to the incredibly asshole/whiny hero to the boring/stupid/spineless heroine. The side romance was somehow worse than the main one.

What's sad is that the writing style isn't all that bad, just the content, plot, and characters.
Kindaangelic
Jun 29, 2010 Kindaangelic rated it it was amazing
Loved the book. Hero was had to learn to let his hero side out. One of my most favorite kind of hero! Heroine took no crap and thats another thing I liked. Will be looking for more of Ms Holts books...plus the hawtness meter is high...LOL
Haley Osborn
Sep 07, 2010 Haley Osborn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While Holt books have a good plot outline the whole story is hidden. The only point seems to be sex for not only this book but any of hers that I've read. This one was my last attempt.
Melissa Spears
Sep 01, 2013 Melissa Spears rated it really liked it
Shelves: default
This book seemed lol over the place. There were some good scenes and some awful ones! Overall it was a decent read not one of Ms Holts best.
Mitzi
May 10, 2008 Mitzi rated it it was amazing
Great
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2009
Jen Rees
Jen Rees rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2013
Duchess
Duchess rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Kristin Dahlman
Kristin Dahlman rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Aberforth
Aberforth rated it did not like it
Sep 26, 2008
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2008
Joy Turner
Joy Turner rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2012
Krystalized
Krystalized rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Arianna
Arianna rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2014
DeAnna Terry
DeAnna Terry rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Melanie♥
Melanie♥ rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2009
Del Grindle
Del Grindle rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2013
manic_reader
manic_reader rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2011
Vicky
Vicky rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • My Devilish Scotsman (MacDonell Brides, #2)
  • A Necessary Bride (Necessary, #2)
  • Force Of Nature (Braddock-Black, #5)
  • Devil's Prize (Garrick, #3)
  • Almost A Gentleman
  • Sinful (Winston Brothers, #3)
  • To Sin With a Stranger (Seven Deadly Sins, #1)
  • The Prince Kidnaps a Bride (Lost Princesses, #3)
  • Scandalous
  • Valentine (V, #5)
  • Capture My Heart
  • Touch Me (Langley Family Trilogy, #1)
  • Scarlet Angel
  • Wild Conquest
  • Sold and Seduced
  • The Pleasure Seekers
  • The River Devil (Devil, #2)
CHERYL HOLT is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-seven novels. She is hailed as the undisputed "Queen" of erotic romance, as well as the international "Queen of Villains". She has numerous national writing awards to her credit and is particularly proud to have been named "Best Storyteller of the Year" by Romantic Times BOOKreviews Magazine. The magazine also selected her ...more
More about Cheryl Holt...