The Shape Stealer (Black Swan Rising, #3)

The Shape Stealer (Black Swan Rising #3)

2.98 of 5 stars 2.98  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Jewelry designer Garet James is the Watchtower—the last in a long line of powerful women sworn to protect the world from evil. Although she had once defeated evil in New York City, her pursuit of her true love, the 400-year-old vampire Will Hughes, has now unleashed an age-old evil onto the modern world, and the entire planet is at risk.

Marduk, the ageless descendant of a...more
Published March 14th 2013 by Bantam Press (first published March 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Shape Stealer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shape Stealer

Ithlilian
Dec 10, 2013 Ithlilian marked it as did-not-finish
Couldn't do it. As many have said the first book was great, the second was ok, and this barely resembles the others. There was potential for a story here if it was told from one point of view in a continuous fashion, instead each chapter overlaps unnecessarily and by page 80 nothing much has really occurred. The premise is still a bit silly with Will staying in the past to redo his actions so he is worthy of someone's love and other characters in the past wanting to go forward and...really who c...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
When we last we left Garet James, she had finally made it back to the present time to find that she had not returned to the present with her love the 400 year old Will Hughes, but a younger and human version of him. Will justified this decision by suggesting that he was giving Garet the best of himself by sending his younger version rather than himself, and thus dedicated the next 400 years to erasing his mistakes so that he wold be worthy of Garet's love. Unfortunately for Garet, dealing with a...more
Jeannie Zelos
The Shape Stealer. Lee Carroll

ARC provided via Netgalley.

Written by husband and wife team Carol Goodman and Lee Slonimsky. Though I hadn't read the first two books in this trilogy I simply loved Carol's Fairwick Chronicles, and this looked to be a similar type of book. So I read the samples of books one and two – I usually find that's enough to allow me to keep up when I jump into an existing series – and went from there.
This book is really complex though, and in honesty I needed to read those...more
Samantha Beedle
Only 9 days to go ...... So excited. Going to start book one again so it's all fresh in my mind.
Shaz Goodwin
I enjoyed Black Swan Rising, the first in the trilogy (before my blogging days). You can find my review of The Watchtower (the second) as a guest on Sarah’s Book Reviews. When I saw The Shape Stealer on Netgalley I just had to request so that I could finish the trilogy!

The story starts where we left off. Garet has time-travelled back from 1602 with Will but it’s the wrong one! Not only that, they also brought back Marduk. Marduk doesn’t waste any time in causing chaos using the naïve Will so we’...more
Cheryl M-M
Although I am not averse to a bit of poetry now and again, and I can understand the the author wanting to bring attention to the art of poetry, however I felt it was detrimental to the flow of the story.
The poetry was good, it just did not fit in context with the story and there was too much of it. I question whether it was written with the intent of creating a setting for the poetry, which was why the actual story within the book was given less attention.
A pity really, the two entities should...more
SilverRaindrops
Review crossposted to 238 books in 238 days.
----------

"The Shape Stealer" is the last book in a series. As usual, here's a (relatively) spoiler-free overview over the first two books before I start the review for this one.

Black Swan Rising tells the story of the young jeweller Garet James who discovers a fae world that exists alongside us in downtown New York.
Story-wise this is a fairly conventional YA novel, even though there are some moments of originality. What made this one stand out for me...more
Michelle Cummings
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, found the second to be so-so, and can't finish this one. I find myself no longer invested in what happens to the characters, so I just don't need to find out how it all ends.

I know that some people really hate the first person narrative (I am not one of those people) but this is told in third person and I think it would probably have benefited from a first person focus. There is too much jumping around from character to character. And what I reall...more
I think maybe because I had waited so long to read this after the other two, I just wasn't as into it as I was the previous books in this series.

And the introduction of the new villains and the chronologists, made it confusing and difficult to keep everything straight. And Marduk was not a very well written demon - he'd go from rampaging and killing to trying to outsmart the stock market in only a few pages with out a lot of description of his motivation for either - I just didn't dislike him e...more
Ellie Thomas
Having read the previous two novels in the series, I was expecting this to continue along the same lines. However, I found the 'bad-guy' a weak, 'cardboard cut-out' type which lacked depth and behaved in a way that didn't seem plausible. Arrogant and reckless? fine, but dim? It didn't 'feel' right. The authors also needed to do a little more Biological research as some of the 'facts' were sketchy to say the least. The whole novel gave the impression that it had been rushed, which was a shame, as...more
Anid Harker
It was hilarious, but not really in a good way.
Nurus
This is nowhere as good as the first two, felt disjointedfrom te previous plot. Kept waiting for it to get to the good part but realised i was more than halfway through and seemingly nothing had happened! Not really impressed with this one whig is a shame as i did enjoy the other two. 2 stars as some parts seemed o show promise, with the chronologists and time travel mission but then i reached the end without anything ever eventuating! Shane about this one.
Tiamat_the_red
This one wasn't good. It felt garbled and having the ancient evil turn out to be a spoiled brat was a really weird choice. And, oh look! That's not the main issue in this book!

The whole thing felt very anticlimactic. I got to the end and went, wait, what? Did I miss something?

My advice is to give it the Matrix treatment; read the first one and pretend there weren't any more.
Chantelle
I felt this one in the series was not quite as good as the first two. This book I feel got off to a really slow start and did not start to get really good until more than half way through. I still like it but definitely not as good as the others.
Becca
I don't know if there will be more to this series but I think I am done with it. My primary complaint with this, the 3rd book in the series, is that the story keeps switching between to many chararcters and perspectives. Sometimes a chapter or two was spent on one character and then it would flp back to someone else and not get back to the other person until much later.
Melanie
Book 3 in this series started off better...and it was definitely better than book 2. But the story was rushed in the end, and it's an all-too-familiar pattern that I sense in most trilogies. It's like the author gets bored with their creation, and so they rush us to the finish. It wasn't a bad ride, but it could have been better.
Angelmira
3,25 stars. Well, it was better than book two, but not that good as book one. It was fast paced. It was gripping and i wanted to know how this thing would end and if "the old Will" will come back. But at the end i can safely say that i will probably forget this series next month because it didn't have any impact on me.
Hanna
I started this one and have been really disappointed so far. The narrative is choppy and stilted, and I have not so far been impressed by any of the characters. It -might- have helped if I'd read the other two books first, but I'm a believer in books being able to at least balance on their own, and this one... isn't.
Jodie
Really enjoyed Black Swan Rising. The Watchtower was ok. This was so painful to read. I felt I had to finish it because I read the first two but oh my lord what a pile of baloney! Very poorly constructed and written. Such a shame because Black Swan Rising had such potential for a good series.
David Marshall
This is a catastrophically awful attempt to blend science fiction time travel into an urban fantasy setting with vampires and fairies to spread the load.

Kate Rakena
Glad to read more about Garet James and her faery world adventures. Good escapist read .
Shame I didn't have a copy of book two to read before this, but perhaps there's no need to read the middle book now I know the end!
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
As I was asked to read this for Netgalley and I couldn't get into book 1, I've decided not to read this. But can imagine the characters are as intriguing and charismatic as they are in the previous 2 books.
Marykate
Meh. The authors introduced a lot of interesting elements but it felt like they got confused and didnt know how to wrap up this story.
Meredith
Apr 24, 2013 Meredith marked it as couldn-t-finish
I raced through the first two books but this one annoys me. I'll try again in a few months since I bought it. :(
Nancy
I didn't finish this one. I couldn't remember what happened in the last two and couldn't get into this one.
Maryanne
I wonder if there will be further epics in this tale.It seemed to leave some leaves as yet unturned
Jess
So disappointing, especially in comparison to the two prior books in the series (both of which I loved).
Debbie
a disappointing end to this book. I expected a lot more after reading the first 2 books...
Jennifer Probst
This book made me wonder what I ever liked about the first one in the trilogy...
Tuesday's Child
Wow, i really expected a lot more from this book! The first 2/3 felt pointless.
  • The Angel Stone (Fairwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Immortal Trust (The Curse of the Templars, #3)
  • Shades of Gray (The Icarus Project, #2)
  • Eternal Echoes (Emblem of Eternity, #2)
  • The Water Witch (Fairwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Hang Wire
  • Redemption (The Seven Signs, #2)
  • Roaring Midnight (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Macey, #1)
  • Vision in Silver (The Others, #3)
  • Six Degrees Of Passion
  • Seven Kinds of Hell (Fangborn, #1)
  • Windswept (The Airborne Saga, #3)
  • Untitled (The Sweetest Dark #3)
  • Untitled (The Falconer, #2)
  • Fire Fall (Dark Star, #3)
  • Motor City Mage (Urban Arcana  #4)
  • Damn Him to Hell (Saturn's Daughter, #2)
  • The Ghost Train to New Orleans (The Shambling Guides, #2)
There is more than one author with this name

Lee Carroll is a pseudonym for the collaboration between Hammet Award-winning mystery novelist Carol Goodman and her poet and hedge fund manager husband, Lee Slonimsky. Goodman and Slonimsky live in Great Neck, New York.
More about Lee Carroll...
Black Swan Rising (Black Swan Rising #1) The Watchtower (Black Swan Rising, #2)