Start by marking “The Shape Stealer (Black Swan Rising, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Shape Stealer (Black Swan Rising, #3)

The Shape Stealer (Black Swan Rising #3)

Jewelry designer Garet James is the Watchtower—the last in a long line of powerful women sworn to protect the world from evil. Although she had once defeated evil in New York City, her pursuit of her true love, the 400-year-old vampire Will Hughes, has now unleashed an age-old evil onto the modern world, and the entire planet is at risk.

Marduk, the ageless descendant of a
Published March 14th 2013 by Bantam Press (first published March 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Shape Stealer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shape Stealer

Ithlilian
Jun 12, 2013 Ithlilian marked it as did-not-finish
Couldn't do it. As many have said the first book was great, the second was ok, and this barely resembles the others. There was potential for a story here if it was told from one point of view in a continuous fashion, instead each chapter overlaps unnecessarily and by page 80 nothing much has really occurred. The premise is still a bit silly with Will staying in the past to redo his actions so he is worthy of someone's love and other characters in the past wanting to go forward and...really who c ...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
Apr 18, 2013 Fangs for the Fantasy rated it did not like it
When we last we left Garet James, she had finally made it back to the present time to find that she had not returned to the present with her love the 400 year old Will Hughes, but a younger and human version of him. Will justified this decision by suggesting that he was giving Garet the best of himself by sending his younger version rather than himself, and thus dedicated the next 400 years to erasing his mistakes so that he wold be worthy of Garet's love. Unfortunately for Garet, dealing with a ...more
Samantha Beedle
Mar 05, 2013 Samantha Beedle rated it really liked it
Only 9 days to go ...... So excited. Going to start book one again so it's all fresh in my mind.
Michael
Feb 25, 2017 Michael rated it liked it
OK fantasy battling time and demons but not too much substance.
Sovotchka
Review crossposted to 238 books in 238 days.
----------

"The Shape Stealer" is the last book in a series. As usual, here's a (relatively) spoiler-free overview over the first two books before I start the review for this one.

Black Swan Rising tells the story of the young jeweller Garet James who discovers a fae world that exists alongside us in downtown New York.
Story-wise this is a fairly conventional YA novel, even though there are some moments of originality. What made this one stand out for me
Jeannie Zelos
Jan 04, 2014 Jeannie Zelos rated it it was ok
The Shape Stealer. Lee Carroll

ARC provided via Netgalley.

Written by husband and wife team Carol Goodman and Lee Slonimsky. Though I hadn't read the first two books in this trilogy I simply loved Carol's Fairwick Chronicles, and this looked to be a similar type of book. So I read the samples of books one and two – I usually find that's enough to allow me to keep up when I jump into an existing series – and went from there.
This book is really complex though, and in honesty I needed to read those
Shaz Goodwin
Dec 23, 2013 Shaz Goodwin rated it liked it
I enjoyed Black Swan Rising, the first in the trilogy (before my blogging days). You can find my review of The Watchtower (the second) as a guest on Sarah’s Book Reviews. When I saw The Shape Stealer on Netgalley I just had to request so that I could finish the trilogy!

The story starts where we left off. Garet has time-travelled back from 1602 with Will but it’s the wrong one! Not only that, they also brought back Marduk. Marduk doesn’t waste any time in causing chaos using the naïve Will so we’
Michelle
Oct 03, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
(2.5 stars) This is the third and final book in the Black Swan Rising series. Garet has returned to the present day with the younger version of Will Hughes, while the older version has remained in the past, determined to right his wrongs and become a better person, distancing himself from Garet in the present day. They are pursued by the unleashed demon vampire Marduk who has joined forces
with the historical figure, John Dee with the goal of wreaking havoc and destruction on the world. Garet jo
Cheryl M-M
Sep 18, 2013 Cheryl M-M rated it liked it
Although I am not averse to a bit of poetry now and again, and I can understand the the author wanting to bring attention to the art of poetry, however I felt it was detrimental to the flow of the story.
The poetry was good, it just did not fit in context with the story and there was too much of it. I question whether it was written with the intent of creating a setting for the poetry, which was why the actual story within the book was given less attention.
A pity really, the two entities should
Michelle Cummings
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, found the second to be so-so, and can't finish this one. I find myself no longer invested in what happens to the characters, so I just don't need to find out how it all ends.

I know that some people really hate the first person narrative (I am not one of those people) but this is told in third person and I think it would probably have benefited from a first person focus. There is too much jumping around from character to character. And what I reall
Jul 13, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: not-aadl, sff
I think maybe because I had waited so long to read this after the other two, I just wasn't as into it as I was the previous books in this series.

And the introduction of the new villains and the chronologists, made it confusing and difficult to keep everything straight. And Marduk was not a very well written demon - he'd go from rampaging and killing to trying to outsmart the stock market in only a few pages with out a lot of description of his motivation for either - I just didn't dislike him e
Ellie Thomas
Jun 21, 2013 Ellie Thomas rated it liked it
Having read the previous two novels in the series, I was expecting this to continue along the same lines. However, I found the 'bad-guy' a weak, 'cardboard cut-out' type which lacked depth and behaved in a way that didn't seem plausible. Arrogant and reckless? fine, but dim? It didn't 'feel' right. The authors also needed to do a little more Biological research as some of the 'facts' were sketchy to say the least. The whole novel gave the impression that it had been rushed, which was a shame, as ...more
ns510
Sep 09, 2013 ns510 rated it it was ok
This is nowhere as good as the first two, felt disjointedfrom te previous plot. Kept waiting for it to get to the good part but realised i was more than halfway through and seemingly nothing had happened! Not really impressed with this one whig is a shame as i did enjoy the other two. 2 stars as some parts seemed o show promise, with the chronologists and time travel mission but then i reached the end without anything ever eventuating! Shane about this one.
Apr 08, 2015 Jennifer rated it did not like it
I thought the first book was great. Really enjoyed it. The second book was a bit of a let down, however i had high hopes for this book. Instead if bored me to tears. Too much talk of stock trading. I don't understand any of it. I was a little over half way when i decided to just skim and scan the book. If i had to read it word for word i would have died.

On the plus it's made one of my lists. "Worst Books Of All Time".
Tiamat_the_red
Oct 16, 2013 Tiamat_the_red rated it it was ok
This one wasn't good. It felt garbled and having the ancient evil turn out to be a spoiled brat was a really weird choice. And, oh look! That's not the main issue in this book!

The whole thing felt very anticlimactic. I got to the end and went, wait, what? Did I miss something?

My advice is to give it the Matrix treatment; read the first one and pretend there weren't any more.
Melanie
Jan 07, 2014 Melanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Book 3 in this series started off better...and it was definitely better than book 2. But the story was rushed in the end, and it's an all-too-familiar pattern that I sense in most trilogies. It's like the author gets bored with their creation, and so they rush us to the finish. It wasn't a bad ride, but it could have been better.
Angelmira
Sep 05, 2012 Angelmira rated it liked it
Shelves: m-f, paranormal
3,25 stars. Well, it was better than book two, but not that good as book one. It was fast paced. It was gripping and i wanted to know how this thing would end and if "the old Will" will come back. But at the end i can safely say that i will probably forget this series next month because it didn't have any impact on me.
Becca
Apr 14, 2013 Becca rated it it was ok
I don't know if there will be more to this series but I think I am done with it. My primary complaint with this, the 3rd book in the series, is that the story keeps switching between to many chararcters and perspectives. Sometimes a chapter or two was spent on one character and then it would flp back to someone else and not get back to the other person until much later.
Sara
Feb 17, 2015 Sara rated it liked it
I really felt that this book didn't have a proper ending. It just stopped. I even looked to see if there where plans to add to the series...doesn't look like it.
I didn't dislike this book, I just felt that it was weak.
I loved the first book, I love the do much of the ideas and villains introduced in the second and this book, but I just felt that there was a lot more left undone in the plot.
Hanna
Oct 07, 2013 Hanna rated it did not like it
I started this one and have been really disappointed so far. The narrative is choppy and stilted, and I have not so far been impressed by any of the characters. It -might- have helped if I'd read the other two books first, but I'm a believer in books being able to at least balance on their own, and this one... isn't.
Danielle
Jun 10, 2015 Danielle rated it it was ok
I just couldn't complete this one. The first two were passable, but the soap opera-esque twists and time travel bits were too much. Too corn-ridden to be believable. A shame, as the first book wasn't half bad.
Prestoni
Jul 19, 2013 Prestoni rated it liked it
Glad to read more about Garet James and her faery world adventures. Good escapist read .
Shame I didn't have a copy of book two to read before this, but perhaps there's no need to read the middle book now I know the end!
Chantelle
Dec 31, 2013 Chantelle rated it liked it
I felt this one in the series was not quite as good as the first two. This book I feel got off to a really slow start and did not start to get really good until more than half way through. I still like it but definitely not as good as the others.
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
Mar 07, 2014 Fiona (Titch) Hunt rated it liked it
As I was asked to read this for Netgalley and I couldn't get into book 1, I've decided not to read this. But can imagine the characters are as intriguing and charismatic as they are in the previous 2 books.
David Marshall
Jun 22, 2013 David Marshall rated it did not like it
This is a catastrophically awful attempt to blend science fiction time travel into an urban fantasy setting with vampires and fairies to spread the load.

Jodie
Aug 04, 2013 Jodie rated it did not like it
Really enjoyed Black Swan Rising. The Watchtower was ok. This was so painful to read. I felt I had to finish it because I read the first two but oh my lord what a pile of baloney! Very poorly constructed and written. Such a shame because Black Swan Rising had such potential for a good series.
Maryanne
Sep 30, 2013 Maryanne rated it it was amazing
I wonder if there will be further epics in this tale.It seemed to leave some leaves as yet unturned
Jyotika
Jun 08, 2013 Jyotika rated it liked it
Found the time travel boring after a while...just didn't keep my attention for long..struggled to finish it. Anticlimactic ending to the series.
Meredith
Aug 09, 2012 Meredith marked it as couldn-t-finish
I raced through the first two books but this one annoys me. I'll try again in a few months since I bought it. :(
Christine Calabrese
Oct 20, 2014 Christine Calabrese rated it liked it
This book is more science fiction less mystical then the other two. But LOL (my favorite character) resurfaces...
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 23, 2015 04:33PM
  • The Daughters of Gentlemen (Frances Doughty #2)
  • Aramaya (The Chronicles of Dion #3)
  • Chivalry is Dead (Pennyfoot Hotel #8)
  • Grail of the Summer Stars (Aetherial Tales, #3)
  • The Narrows
  • Silver's Lure
  • The Water Witch (Fairwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
  • Sleep of Death (Charlotte Westing Chronicles, #2)
  • Seduction (Legacy, #3)
  • Murder in the Queen's Garden (Elizabethan Mysteries, #3)
  • Immortal Trust (The Curse of the Templars, #3)
  • Hang Wire
  • Roaring Midnight (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Macey, #1)
  • Shattered Dance (White Magic, #3)
There is more than one author with this name

Lee Carroll is a pseudonym for the collaboration between Hammet Award-winning mystery novelist Carol Goodman and her poet and hedge fund manager husband, Lee Slonimsky. Goodman and Slonimsky live in Great Neck, New York.
More about Lee Carroll...

Black Swan Rising (3 books)
  • Black Swan Rising (Black Swan Rising #1)
  • The Watchtower (Black Swan Rising, #2)