Start by marking “Silent Boy” as Want to Read:
Silent Boy

Silent Boy

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  2,792 ratings  ·  109 reviews
From the author of 'One Child' and 'Beautiful Girl' comes a heartbreaking story of a boy trapped in silence and the teacher who rescued him.
Published April 1st 2008 by Harper Element (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Boy

Blanches Jeanne
at first i was like:
description
really cant describe my feeling.

then i got mad to this book:
description

but then i realized it's reality. and reality sucks!
description

aku baca ini beberapa bulan setelah baca Ghost girl (Jadie) pas kelas 2 atau 3 smp. and all i can say is this book really ruined my childhood. aku masih bisa tahan baca ceritanya Jadie, tapi yang ini aduhh.. mungkin ini buku pertama yang aku nyesel bacanya. bukan karena ga bagus, tapi cape banget bacanya..

but, this book capture reality around us. kebetulan aku punya
Irene
Aug 05, 2014 Irene rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of true stories, Torey Hayden fans
Well, Murphy's Boy isn't my favorite Hayden book. Ghost girl is definitely my favorite with One Child as a not so distant second. Tigers Child was good too and this one -- Murphy's Child is only getting 3 stars because it wasn't quite the same as the others but was still decent. Hard to believe these are all true stories & I have a lot of respect for Hayden & the work she's done with all of these different children. She's an excellent writer as well. Usually her books are hard to put dow ...more
Siri
all hayden books get 4 stars from me bc they changed my life when i was in high school and made me want to be a psychologist to help kids like she did. She is not meant to be a young adult writer.. I think her books are meant for adults, so don't think it's a kiddy book just cuz I read 'em in high school! I don't remember much about the writing (they are all written in first person) but the TRUE stories about the children who she has worked with are heartbreaking and inspiring. Haven't read one ...more
Michelle Vargas
Murphy's Boy is a non-fiction and a case study book. When Torey first met Kevin,he was barricaded under a table surrounded by chairs. Kevin was afraid of everything. He has not spoken in several years. Torey was able to get him to talk, but then Kevin tells stories of his past. He reveals a violent childhood that Torey does not know much about.
There many things I liked about the book. I liked how I had to keep on guessing what was going to happen next. It was like a mini-suspense story. I like
Lainy
Time taken to read - 3 days

Publisher - Avon

Pages - 324

Blurb From Goodreads

His name was Kevin but his keepers called him Zoo Boy. He didn't talk. He hid under tables and surrounded himself with a cage of chairs. He hadn't been out of the building in the four years since he'd come in. He was afraid of water and wouldn't take a shower. He was afraid to be naked, to change his clothes. He was nearly 16.

Desperate to see change in the boy, the staff of Kevin's adolescent treatment center hired Hayden.
Anne
I like her books, always have. Guess they appeal to the teacher part of me. But they always make me so sad, too that there are so many kids out there with such trauma in their lives and the system fails them.
This one is about Kevin who is almost 16, elective mute, afraid of everything, hides under the tables. Once again Torey works her magic.
Elizabeth Francia
There is so much hurt and sadness in this book that at times I would stop and pause in my reading because my heart would be heavy and I would be emotionally strained. Torey Hayden's vivid narrative of her struggle to help a teenage boy who was so "severely deprived and abused in childhood, who had spent most of his life in institutions...a kid whom nobody wanted", made me want to be with her in her journey of re-claiming the boy, Kevin, from the depths of despair and sadness. What is so compelli ...more
Smile
I loveeeeed this. Ican't say i'm a total expert now, but I can say I am able to understand mentally retarded people a little better, and able to have compassion for them, because of this wonderfully written book.
I did recommend it to a friend, but she said she couldn't read more than 10 pages because it was boring. yes, the first 3-5 chapters were boring, but they are the introductory chapters, and can't help themselves from being boring. Other than that, the whole story of this Kevin-boy is ext
Betryal
Beth Peninger
What an amazing story. What makes it, in part, so amazing is it is true. Really happened. Several things about this true account of Kevin's story and Hayden's part in it made this book hard to put down. It was one of those books I found myself anxious to get back to when I couldn't be reading it.
Hayden first meets Kevin sequestered under a table and unwilling to speak to anyone for the past 6+ years. His fears have caged he and his voice and the facility he lives in is desperate to know what to
Kevin M
To clarify my 3 star rating - a rating that means to be, 'Yes, it was more good than bad' - I need to provide a short break down for my rating.

Writing Style: 2 stars. Torey Hayden's writing has it's moments. It's heartfelt and she knows how to structure her chapters and episodes well. But I found myself skimming her long, repetitive inner monologues. All I was interested in was the dialogue between characters - especially her interviews with Kevin.

Her Career: I have to give her 5 stars for an i
Liz Dean
I found my old copy of this book, and re-read it: (its been about 15 years). Torey Hayden remains the author that affected me the most as a teenager: from volunteering at group homes when I was in highschool to going through a Social Work program in college (with the intention of being a therapist, it was all because of this one, single book.

I have read all of her other books, and I did have a chance to meet her in Europe long ago, but reading this after all those years still hits me with the sa
Nicole
Torey Hayden - Silent Boy (Murphy's Boy) Victoria Lynn Hayden, known as Torey L. Hayden (born May 21, 1951 in Livingston, Montana) is a child psychologist, special education teacher, university lecturer and writer of non-fiction books based on her real-life experiences with teaching and counselling children with special needs.Subjects covered in her books include autism, Tourette syndrome, sexual abuse, fetal alcohol syndrome, and elective mutism (now called selective mutism), her specialty

His n
Nicole
Torey Hayden - Murphy's Boy (SILENT BOY) Victoria Lynn Hayden, known as Torey L. Hayden (born May 21, 1951 in Livingston, Montana) is a child psychologist, special education teacher, university lecturer and writer of non-fiction books based on her real-life experiences with teaching and counselling children with special needs.Subjects covered in her books include autism, Tourette syndrome, sexual abuse, fetal alcohol syndrome, and elective mutism (now called selective mutism), her specialty

His n
Alicia Stevens
Murphy's Boy is the incredible true story about a psychologist Torey Hayden, who took on 15-year-old Kevin's case. Kevin was known as "zoo-boy" because he baraccaided himself under a table with chairs all around and hadn't spoken a word in eight years! Through Hayden's love, compassion, and constant devotion and persistence, she not only was able to get to Kevin to start talking again, but she uncovered a shocking violent history, along with a secret that had been filed away and forgotten.

Altho
Amanda B
Feb 13, 2008 Amanda B rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: my sister
120208: Read part 1 today.. Not at all like her other books. Whereas all the children in her other books seem in desperate need of her help, Kevin scares me. It feels to me like he's playin games.

130208: I loved this book. finished it today. Would've finished it earlier but today was the day every one decided to knock on my door. I dint want to put the book down, it was driving me crazy.

He (Kevin) was definately a little crazy but when it come out about the horriffic abuse he was part of you ca
Deirdre
In Silent Boy, Torey Hayden introduces us to Kevin, an elective mute and her efforts to break his years of self enforced silence. While not seeking to undermine the work which she undertakes with damaged children, this book carries the usual critism of social services and how they fail children, while Ms Hadyen presents herself as an avenging saviour. I feel certain that if social workers were given the resources which they greatly need in order to work individually with children in a therapeuti ...more
Phillipa
I think this has probably become my favourite Torey Hayden novel, it has a happy ending :) But it's a hectic story ... one thing I find when I read some of these non-fiction books is I simply cannot believe how some people treat their kids, those who are supposed to be most precious to them.
Landpomeranze
This book tells the story of a somewhat older boy who had been abandoned even by his own family and forgotten by socialworkers, doctors and everybody else. Torey Hayden was the only person who cared and who helped and believed in Kevin.
Irmala Sari
It's the most tragic real story I've read, all torey's book was based on her truly experience.. but its happy ending story..
Andi
This is the story of Kevin. He had a truly horrific childhood and spent most of his later childhood, early teen years institutionalized. He wouldn't speak. This is the story of how Torey Hayden worked with him and the experiences they have while on his painful road to life outside an institution.

It is a devastating story, but inspiring. Torey Hayden always leaves me pondering how people can be so cruel. But, on the other hand she gives me hope that the human spirit can eventually heal, no matter
Tamara
I read this book when I was working with kids who were labeled "sex offenders" and had been placed at Buckeye Ranch from Scranton School for the Deaf...the book and my relationships with the kids I worked with at BR were chillingly similar...the story helped me see past the clinical notes on the kids I worked with and get to the root of why they behaved the way they did. I think of the 4 boys I had that spring, 3 are still successful citizens. One, sadly, is incarcerated.

Enough of me! Read the b
Amanda
Brilliant book. I really struggled to put it down. Poor Kevin had such a horrible childhood.
Redfox5
Not as good as Hayden's other books. It doesn't grip you from the start like the others do. The problem with this one was that at the start, I just didn't like Kevin. However once you get to part 2, the story gets better and as Kevin's history comes to life you get an idea of why Kevin is like he is. This book really highlights how poor social services were back then. And also how people saw homosexuals, what utter rubbish! I would hope that something like that would not happen today!
kramox
Tykkäsin kovasti. Kirjan alkupuolella luin vain iltaisin, enintään parikymmentä sivua / ilta, mutta viimeiset 200 sivua luin kahdessa päivässä. En vain olisi malttanut laskea kirjaa käsistäni.

Luin pitkästä aikaa käännetyn kirjan, ja muutamaan otteeseen se häiritsi. Seuraavan kirjan tahdon lukea alkuperäiskielellä, mahdollisesti Haydenin jonkun toisen kirjan. Jollain tavalla kirjan teema, kerrontatapa tai tekstin nostattamat tunteet muistuttivat Jodi Picoultin kirjoja.
Katie-Louise Fidiam
This was a reading team book when I was a freshman in high school. I was assigned this book by one of our two moderators and I got it out of the library. It changed my life and actually made me consider being a child psychologist for a brief moment (but I love acting too much). There's a TV movie based on it called Trapped in Silence that stars a young Kiefer Sutherland as Kevin, the "Murphy's Boy" of the title. It's a good movie...but the books better.
Yvonne
Another book by one of the most unique and important proponents for teaching unteachable children, for catching those that would normally fall through the cracks. Her style, her wit, her genuine care are apparent with every word, as are her own personal limits and weaknesses, and I love her even more for that. She helps, because she's real, and so are the kids, and sometimes, there's no happily ever after.
Yvonne
The mind, especially that of a child's, is a remarkable thing. To live through the most horrendous events humanly possible, the mind can still be resilient enough to hit rock bottom and crawl it's way back to the surface. This non-fiction was a wonderful read.
Angela
May 06, 2011 Angela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I read Torey Hayden's nonfiction books when I was around 12 or 13, and until now, couldn't remember her name for the life of me, but her heartbreaking accounts of troubled children have always stuck with me - actually, have haunted me. I just found her on Wikipedia, and I'm am not sure if I'll ever be able to read these stories again, but am glad to have found her.
  • A Circle of Children
  • Silent Sisters
  • When Daddy Comes Home
  • Please, Daddy, No
  • One Child by Torey Hayden Summary & Study Guide
  • Nobody Came: The Appalling True Story of Brothers Cruelly Abused in a Jersey Care Home
  • The Boy No One Loved
  • Street Kid
  • A Teenager's Journey
  • Turning Stones: My Days and Nights with Children at Risk: A Caseworker's Story
  • Don't Ever Tell: Kathy's Story: A True Tale of a Childhood Destroyed by Neglect and Fear
  • The Silent Twins
2911935
More about Torey L. Hayden...
Ghost Girl Somebody Else's Kids Just Another Kid Beautiful Child Sheila: Luka Hati Seorang Gadis Kecil (One Child)

“It's a funny place, this world. Hate has rights. Love has none.” 9 likes